Bought a RDX on Friday..

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 10:08 AM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Bought a RDX on Friday..

2007 RDX Tech SH-AWD Turbo, Black/light gray like our MDX. 144,000 miles but looks almost new inside & out. Local one-owner vehicle always serviced at the local Acura dealer.
I LOVE IT !!!! Drove it around a bunch over the weekend-the MDX would have burned at least 1/2 tank of gas, the RDX is only used about 1/4 tank (smaller tank too, I believe) The way we were driving the MDX is 95%+ around town stop & go....it was killing us on gas at 15 mpg.

Didn't think the RDX would run as strong as the MDX, but I believe it is even quicker. Love the smaller size & it handles & drives great like all Acuras. It has brand new Hankook Dynapro HP 2 tires on it,.(not sure how good they are but are brand new)
Acura dealer also did 4-wheel alignment, new Pennzoil synthetic engine oil, total transmission fluid change, changed transfer case fluid & rear differential fluid, & flushed & changed coolant, & air bag recall.
Guess I'll have to check out the RDX board now.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 01:59 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,185 Posts
Congrats on the on the CUV!

I love driving my RDX hard in the corners and it is the perfect size to run errands around town. One downside is road noise compared to the MDX; but, that is what the ELS system is for.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:23 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Congrats AlanW!!!
Old 04-10-2017, 04:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 891 Likes on 681 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
Congrats on the on the CUV!

I love driving my RDX hard in the corners and it is the perfect size to run errands around town. One downside is road noise compared to the MDX; but, that is what the ELS system is for.
Also IMHO the ELS sound system is WAY better in the RDX vs the MDX.

Congratulations Alan, I think you made an excellent purchase. I miss my RDX SOOOOOO much. It is absolutely faster than the MDX and would kill it on switchbacks.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:17 PM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
DAMNNNN! You now got the trifecta! Congrats!
I wish I can chime in someday with my brand new ZDX.........
Old 04-10-2017, 05:54 PM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

No trifecta....

Originally Posted by Skirmich
DAMNNNN! You now got the trifecta! Congrats!
I wish I can chime in someday with my brand new ZDX.........
The 06 TL 6MT got crunched back in October, I've mostly been driving the ex-cab Sierra since then- which is great for pulling my boat but sucks compared to driving any Acura around & it sucks gas also. When I found out I could get this RDX for $8400 in great shape with all the maintenance already done-I had to do it..
Old 04-10-2017, 10:19 PM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
Ohh that sucks...
Well you know have 3 gas guzzler cars then! cuz I´ve seen the RDX mpgs numbers and DAMNNNNN That thing likes gas for a 4 cyl.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts
Awesome find and congrats Sir! I keep looking at the RDX as a potential next vehicle lol. I have 3 requirements I'm trying to meet: 4 doors, manual transmission, and boost.

RDX meets 2 of the 3 and I'm willing to compromise, but then change my mind. Either way enjoy and keep us updated!
Old 04-11-2017, 10:25 AM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Originally Posted by nats007
Awesome find and congrats Sir! I keep looking at the RDX as a potential next vehicle lol. I have 3 requirements I'm trying to meet: 4 doors, manual transmission, and boost.

RDX meets 2 of the 3 and I'm willing to compromise, but then change my mind. Either way enjoy and keep us updated!
I still pout damn near every day about losing the 06 TL 6MT-I LOVED that car & the Zen of the manual shift. I am, however, pleasantly surprised about how fun the RDX is to drive. No manual trans but when you feel that boost kick in it kind of makes up for it somewhat.

I don't see why Acura didn't put that 2.3 intercooled turbo 4 motor in a 3G TL 6mt.....
Old 04-11-2017, 11:15 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,185 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanW
I still pout damn near every day about losing the 06 TL 6MT-I LOVED that car & the Zen of the manual shift. I am, however, pleasantly surprised about how fun the RDX is to drive. No manual trans but when you feel that boost kick in it kind of makes up for it somewhat.

I don't see why Acura didn't put that 2.3 intercooled turbo 4 motor in a 3G TL 6mt.....
Sometimes, the 5AT is reluctant to downshift in normal D mode depending on your mph. You can force a downshift with the paddles in D mode; but, the 5AT sometimes just blinks the lower gear in the dash and stays in the upper gear. Putting it in "S" mode allows for a wider rpm range for downshifting if "D" mode is being a little stubborn. I always shift to "S" mode when driving the switchbacks to hold my gears longer, minimize up/down shifts, keep the turbo spool time at a min, and use engine braking instead of riding my brakes downhill. The RDX 2.3L turbo is no different from the NA versions, strong until you hit the fuel cutoff.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:23 PM
Burning Brakes

At least you had to privilege if owning one! I was searching for a 07-08 3G TL-S 6MT forever and gave up. I found a 4G TL 6MT about 3 weeks before the MDX and regret not buying it lol. Only one I've seen in FL for that past 4 years!

I'm a die-hard manual fan. All my cars have been manual since my first car at 15. It's hard to give up on it, but I do enjoy auto in traffic lol. Boost has been my bug lately... My RSX fulfills that need, but I'd like a nicer daily to jump in a drive, still be fun, and some oomph would be well appreciated!

A 2.3 turbo TSX 6MT would have made me happy!!! TL need V6 or more imho. V6+ S/C would make me drool

Last edited by nats007; 04-11-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Sometimes, the 5AT is reluctant to downshift in normal D mode depending on your mph. You can force a downshift with the paddles in D mode; but, the 5AT sometimes just blinks the lower gear in the dash and stays in the upper gear. Putting it in "S" mode allows for a wider rpm range for downshifting if "D" mode is being a little stubborn. I always shift to "S" mode when driving the switchbacks to hold my gears longer, minimize up/down shifts, keep the turbo spool time at a min, and use engine braking instead of riding my brakes downhill. The RDX 2.3L turbo is no different from the NA versions, strong until you hit the fuel cutoff.
I've had bad experience with AT and unfortunately it was an Acura lol. I loved the car, but after 2 rebuilds, I was done with it. This kind of reinforced the manual transmission for any car that I own. Wife can get whatever she wants.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:56 PM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

My original intent was to replace the 06 TL 6mt with an 07-08 TL-S 6mt....but I'd stand a better chance of finding a 3 horn unicorn in my area. So I'd have to pay for transport & getting it checked out.-adding about a grand to the cost. So, like you, I gave up on that idea. Also, the nice Type Ss are too much $$$ for cars that old.
I think I got a good deal on the RDX & I like it, so it will do for now. I might later look for a 4G TL 6MT SH-AWD even though I just can't come to like the looks of them.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:01 AM
Burning Brakes

My original intent was to replace the 06 TL 6mt with an 07-08 TL-S 6mt....but I'd stand a better chance of finding a 3 horn unicorn in my area. So I'd have to pay for transport & getting it checked out.-adding about a grand to the cost. So, like you, I gave up on that idea. Also, the nice Type Ss are too much $$$ for cars that old.
I think I got a good deal on the RDX & I like it, so it will do for now. I might later look for a 4G TL 6MT SH-AWD even though I just can't come to like the looks of them.
lol... I hear ya Sir! Be sure to post some pics of the RDX!!!
Old 04-13-2017, 11:34 AM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

I'm ashamed to post any pics until I get the headlights cleared up some, clay bar & seal/polish it.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:53 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm ashamed to post any pics until I get the headlights cleared up some, clay bar & seal/polish it.
lol... Ah man, no shame Sir. Now you have to post a before and after!
Old 04-14-2017, 04:56 PM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
2007 RDX Tech SH-AWD Turbo, Black/light gray like our MDX. 144,000 miles but looks almost new inside & out. Local one-owner vehicle always serviced at the local Acura dealer.
I LOVE IT !!!! Drove it around a bunch over the weekend-the MDX would have burned at least 1/2 tank of gas, the RDX is only used about 1/4 tank (smaller tank too, I believe) The way we were driving the MDX is 95%+ around town stop & go....it was killing us on gas at 15 mpg.

Didn't think the RDX would run as strong as the MDX, but I believe it is even quicker. Love the smaller size & it handles & drives great like all Acuras. It has brand new Hankook Dynapro HP 2 tires on it,.(not sure how good they are but are brand new)
Acura dealer also did 4-wheel alignment, new Pennzoil synthetic engine oil, total transmission fluid change, changed transfer case fluid & rear differential fluid, & flushed & changed coolant, & air bag recall.
Guess I'll have to check out the RDX board now.
Congrats on the new purchase! I'm beginning to think of the 1st Gen RDX's as Acura's best little known secret. I've owned a lot of vehicles (mostly Honda's and Acura's) and I have to say the 1st Gen RDX is one of the best surprises I have come across. I owned a 3rd Gen TL at the time of purchase and thought the RDX would be a nice little complimentary SUV to have. Although the TL was an awesome car and a little faster than the RDX, I found myself enjoying the RDX so much that the TL became expendable. I wound up selling the TL for another SUV. For the price you can get a 1st Gen RDX for and the performance it gives you as well as bulletproof reliability, you really can't beat it in value.

Good luck with the 1st Gen RDX forums though. I'll look for your posts but for the most part it's a lost cause. Almost zero enthusiasm amongst owners. That's why I'm in the MDX more than the RDX forums.

Last edited by Acuramon; 04-14-2017 at 05:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AlanW (04-19-2017)