Audio/Nav DVD update question

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 01:39 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Arrow Audio/Nav DVD update question

I have both a 2013 TL Tech SH AWD + 2012 MDX Tech. I've never updated the nav system on either vehicle so they are about 6-8 years old now.

What I'm really curious about is whether the audio systems are updated in any way when the update DVD is completed. For example, the 2012 MDX has problems playing certain music on a USB drive - it skips almost all MP3 files for some reason. What I'm hoping is that the DVD update will bring the MDX at least into line with the 2013 TL system. Incidentally the 2013 TL has no problems reading all those same MP3 files on the very same USB drive. Weird.

Anyone have ideas, suggestions, etc.? Thanks in advance for your guidance.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:33 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
To my knowledge the system updates dont make any difference. I have 2015 update on my 2011. I have the mp3 issue as well. The perfect solution is to get an iPod, load all your songs and then run via USB. Best experience as you can control everything from the Car's controls and you get benefits of playlist and other ipod features.

Yes loading songs on USB is much easier than on iPod.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:23 PM
Advanced

Audio nav update

@technocrat
Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply. That's what I figured as far as the update goes. It's too bad that Acura doesn't keep pace on this type of issue. I'm amazed at the difference between the 2012 and 2013 systems. I also have a 2017 in another make. The Blackberry sourced audio system in that vehicle is light years ahead of what the 2012/2013 systems from Acura. Not really a fair comparison I know, but Honda/Acura could update the interface for their systems on older cars. I gather they don't think it's worth it. The Ipod idea is a non-starter for me since I'm really not an Apple fan. I'll either use BT or make a bunch of CDs and load them on the HDD in the MDX.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:07 PM
Racer

No worries, Honda/Acura seems to have lost their way in Audio off late, there is no consistency. Right now Accord has the best system but strangely its not available in any other Honda or Acura products. The New RDX would have been so much better with the Accord system but alas they went with the stupid touchpad interface.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:28 PM
Advanced

@technocrat
I agree that Honda/Acura still seems confused on many dimensions and not only the nav/audio aspect. In the next couple years I'll likely replace the MDX. Ideally, I'd get another MDX. But, as a long time Acura/Honda guy, even I have to admit it's getting hard to ignore how Honda/Acura keeps falling behind in so many ways (customer service & appreciation, vehicle design, quality control, reliability, etc). I don't know what else I'd buy though. A Hyundai? Maybe a Ford Explorer? BMW X5? My wife likes the Jag (and it's her vehicle).

I long for the old days when Honda built high quality vehicles like the gen 2 Legend, gen 2 TL, 2nd gen Intergra, etc. Those vehicles had style, performance, high build quality, etc. Acura Canada has never really excelled at customer service though. It depends on the dealer and the service staff at the individual dealership. It's always been hit & miss I find.

I know Acura follows this website (among others) and monitors the comments, etc. I hope they're paying attention to what's being discussed.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:44 PM
Racer

@TLguy2013
I hear you, I have the same dilemma, my 2011 MDX is the longest I have ever kept any vehicle (Car or bike) but I can't think of a suitable replacement from Honda/Acura atleast not without any compromise(e.g. 9 spd in newer MDX plus outdated interiors compared to competition)

Hyundai/Kia seems to be the next Honda/Acura combo
Old 05-24-2020, 08:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts
Originally Posted by TLguy2013
@technocrat
Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply. That's what I figured as far as the update goes. It's too bad that Acura doesn't keep pace on this type of issue. I'm amazed at the difference between the 2012 and 2013 systems. I also have a 2017 in another make. The Blackberry sourced audio system in that vehicle is light years ahead of what the 2012/2013 systems from Acura. Not really a fair comparison I know, but Honda/Acura could update the interface for their systems on older cars. I gather they don't think it's worth it. The Ipod idea is a non-starter for me since I'm really not an Apple fan. I'll either use BT or make a bunch of CDs and load them on the HDD in the MDX.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Use BT primarily in our MDX and stream from phone. As for NAV update, I'm considering navtool in the future vs trying to update the old nav system. I currently just use my phone and ask Google to navigate and get updates via BT.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts
Originally Posted by technocrat
@TLguy2013
I hear you, I have the same dilemma, my 2011 MDX is the longest I have ever kept any vehicle (Car or bike) but I can't think of a suitable replacement from Honda/Acura atleast not without any compromise(e.g. 9 spd in newer MDX plus outdated interiors compared to competition)

Hyundai/Kia seems to be the next Honda/Acura combo
Agreed. Long time Acura/Honda fan, but I'm really liking Genesis and considering for my next vehicle.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:54 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will try to cover what works.........
If you burn MP3s to CD or DVD, you should not have any problems playing any of the songs or tracks on Acura CD/DVD player. However, with the USB Memory stick, Acura's are very picky for some reason.

Solution: What you have to do is convert your MP3s files to AAC file types and then copy AAC songs to USB Memory stick. There are software packages will batch convert MP3s to AAC files. Either file will play on your PC. But Acura wants to see the AAC file on Memory sticks. Trust me....all of them will play on the MS.

On the USB Memory, you can still group your songs in various folders as you would normally. The only difference......AAC files on MS. I use a couple 32GB memory sticks......and every song plays and works.

Good luck....
The following users liked this post:
technocrat (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 07:17 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by BigDog4All
I will try to cover what works.........
If you burn MP3s to CD or DVD, you should not have any problems playing any of the songs or tracks on Acura CD/DVD player. However, with the USB Memory stick, Acura's are very picky for some reason.

Solution: What you have to do is convert your MP3s files to AAC file types and then copy AAC songs to USB Memory stick. There are software packages will batch convert MP3s to AAC files. Either file will play on your PC. But Acura wants to see the AAC file on Memory sticks. Trust me....all of them will play on the MS.

On the USB Memory, you can still group your songs in various folders as you would normally. The only difference......AAC files on MS. I use a couple 32GB memory sticks......and every song plays and works.

Good luck....
Interesting, will try this out