2012 MDX--New to Me

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 04:41 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2012 MDX--New to Me

Greetings all, my first Acura post. I have a 2012 MDX Advance Package that is new to me. Got it from a relative, the original owner. He bought it new, although a dealer employee had put 1850 miles on it first. I received it with it's current mileage of 38,000. It appears to be in excellent condition.

To start, I put new Michelin Crossclimate SUV tires on at Costco, followed by a lifetime wheel alignment at Firestone. The OEM tires had plenty of tread, but were cracking from age. Then over to the Acura dealer for an oil change and checkup. Although I'm skeptical that Honda/Acura seems to be the rare or only manufacturer recommending three-year brake fluid changes, I went ahead and did one as it was just two months short of three years. The dealer tried to up-sell a B7 package, but I passed on that. It's mostly minor stuff I can do myself.

I'm a bit disappointed that the owners manual doesn't provide better info on future maintenance requirements, instead referring you to wait for dashboard reminders with mysterious codes. Discussion with the dealer revealed my only concern should be the timing belt, required at eight-years or 105k. Since the MDX is in fact now eight years old, this was unexpected as I generally count on something in the vicinity of 100k, which I am unlikely to ever reach, driving it probably 5k per year.

The dealer has a complete timing belt package, I don't remember everything, but includes water pump, all serpentine belts, coolant, spark plugs, valve adjustment, etc. $2100. Yikes. Think he said about 11-12 hours of work. Labor is $150/hr but package drops it to $100/hr.

Dealer also said rear shocks were leaking a bit--$1650. The additional $150 wheel alignment is not a concern as I have the lifetime alignment at Firestone. My questions are:

1. Is there a typical time & mileage maintenance guide available anywhere?

2. Do I really need to do a timing belt at eight-years/38,000 miles? If so, should the dealer do it? Of course, dealer claims they have the specialized knowledge & tools for this job. Only one Acura dealer. Would one of the seven local Honda dealers be just as capable?

3. Rear shocks, any thoughts?

4. As part of the dealer B7 package, it includes fuel additive. I have occasionally put fuel additives in all my vehicles. I recently read that can actually cause an overdose as Top Tier fuel already has all the additives you need, so I've stopped, but still have plenty on-hand. Fuel additive--yes or no?

5. 0-20W oil seems odd in a climate that is regularly in the 90s during the summer. The car has always had synthetic. Most other manufacturers recommend 5W-30. Anything else recommended here?

6. The dashboard looks like fake wood. Is this so?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-02-2020, 06:29 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,515 Likes on 1,182 Posts
I have a 11 MDX Adv+Ent since 2014 I purchased used with 30,000 miles (+143,700 miles now). I would double-check to see if you have the oil consumption issue for all 10-13 MDX that can be as bad as 1 qt per 1000 miles. I'm holding steady at 1 to 1 1/4 qt per 9000 mile oil change interval. Another issue with the 07-09 Sport MDXs and 10-13 Adv MDXs are the Active Damper System (ADS); which, uses the button near the stick shift for Comfort or Sport modes (leave mine in Sport). The magnetic struts/shocks can fail and leak in as little as 30,000 miles or last +100,000 miles. Symptoms can be leaking, sagging corner, knocking over bumps, and/or bouncy handling. No aftermarket replacements and it can be $500-$800 per corner to replace with OEM parts if you DYI or dealership. The dealership should have replaced before selling to you.

1. Acura uses A or B service codes along with 1-6 for additional service items. Brake fluid or P/S fluid are not included in the service codes. All codes are shown in the M.I.D. between the speedo/tach once you get within 15% of when an oil change is due. I'm usually reach 15% around 8500 miles and can be at 9500-10,000 miles I I wait until 0% oil life.
************************************************** *****************************************
A: Replace engine oil
B: Applies to one or more of the following: Replace engine oil and filter, inspect brakes, check steering components, inspect suspension components, check driveshaft boots, check fluid levels, inspect exhaust system, inspect brake hoses or lines

1: Rotate Tires
2: Replace air cleaner element, replace dust and pollen filter, inspect drive belt
3: Replace transmission fluid
4: Replace spark plugs, replace timing belt, inspect water pump and valve clearance
5: Replace engine coolant
6: Replace rear differential fluid (if equipped)
************************************************** *****************************************

2. Timing belt is 7yrs or 105,000 miles; whichever comes first. You are not there on mileage; but, due with time. Includes timing belt, serpentine belt kit, spark plugs, valve adjustment, water pump, coolant, and oil change. Can also include other services if something else is over due (cabin/engine filter, brake flush, rear diff, 6AT/transfer case, etc...). Again, it should have been done at the dealership before being sold.

3. My rear magnetic shocks were replaced during my 105,000 mile service (leaking). My fronts were replaced at 35,000 miles because of knocking noise over bumps (both covered by basic or extended Acura warranty). Only option is to pay the $1600 or convert to regular shocks.

4. Zero fuel additives needed for any Acura. I only use Sams Club or Costco fuels for all my Acuras with 500,000 miles between them with zero issues since 2006. Big debate on 87 or +91 octane fuel. I always use +91 octane for max power.

5. The 0w-20 oil is for fuel economy. I switched to Mobil 1 0w-20 since 30,000 miles and I haven't had any issues using this oil living in the southwest with temps +115 degrees in Phoenix/Las Vegas or -10 below zero at Wolf Creek ski resort in southern Colorado.

6. Fake plastic wood. You have to upgrade to next gen MDX to get real wood in cabin.

Last edited by mrgold35; 10-02-2020 at 06:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BIC2 (10-02-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 06:55 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the info. I got the car from a family member, not a dealer, hence those items not done before transfer.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by BIC2
Greetings all, my first Acura post. I have a 2012 MDX Advance Package that is new to me. Got it from a relative, the original owner. He bought it new, although a dealer employee had put 1850 miles on it first. I received it with it's current mileage of 38,000. It appears to be in excellent condition.

To start, I put new Michelin Crossclimate SUV tires on at Costco, followed by a lifetime wheel alignment at Firestone. The OEM tires had plenty of tread, but were cracking from age. Then over to the Acura dealer for an oil change and checkup. Although I'm skeptical that Honda/Acura seems to be the rare or only manufacturer recommending three-year brake fluid changes, I went ahead and did one as it was just two months short of three years. The dealer tried to up-sell a B7 package, but I passed on that. It's mostly minor stuff I can do myself.

I'm a bit disappointed that the owners manual doesn't provide better info on future maintenance requirements, instead referring you to wait for dashboard reminders with mysterious codes. Discussion with the dealer revealed my only concern should be the timing belt, required at eight-years or 105k. Since the MDX is in fact now eight years old, this was unexpected as I generally count on something in the vicinity of 100k, which I am unlikely to ever reach, driving it probably 5k per year.

The dealer has a complete timing belt package, I don't remember everything, but includes water pump, all serpentine belts, coolant, spark plugs, valve adjustment, etc. $2100. Yikes. Think he said about 11-12 hours of work. Labor is $150/hr but package drops it to $100/hr.

TB Kit and labor should be no more than $1500 for a very thorough job including valve adjustment and lots of new gaskets. I paid $1600 at an indy that included new alternator, PS pump hoses and A/C service with the other items I mentioned.

Dealer also said rear shocks were leaking a bit--$1650. The additional $150 wheel alignment is not a concern as I have the lifetime alignment at Firestone. My questions are:

Sounds like you have the sport package. The shocks are expensive, I converted to Std. shocks and they ride great. A tad softer than Sport but good. Costs about $800 for all 4 corners + labor. Pretty easy to install, about 1 hr/corner.

1. Is there a typical time & mileage maintenance guide available anywhere?

2. Do I really need to do a timing belt at eight-years/38,000 miles? If so, should the dealer do it? Of course, dealer claims they have the specialized knowledge & tools for this job. Only one Acura dealer. Would one of the seven local Honda dealers be just as capable?

You can wait another 2 years, not a big deal.

3. Rear shocks, any thoughts?

See if they are leaking, at 38K i doubt they are and dealers love to add items to the bill.

4. As part of the dealer B7 package, it includes fuel additive. I have occasionally put fuel additives in all my vehicles. I recently read that can actually cause an overdose as Top Tier fuel already has all the additives you need, so I've stopped, but still have plenty on-hand. Fuel additive--yes or no?

I like Redline's Fuel Cleaner as it has worked incredibly well in my cars, esp the BMW's with lumpy idle. Same active ingredient as techron, but higher concentration. You can OD your car on detergents and damage fuel system components, but that would take a few gallons...

5. 0-20W oil seems odd in a climate that is regularly in the 90s during the summer. The car has always had synthetic. Most other manufacturers recommend 5W-30. Anything else recommended here?

I like to use M1 5W-20 Extended Performance and now am trying out Pennzoil Ultra Plat 5W-30 as it's done very well in many tests. Having a 2012, change oil religiously every 7K miles MAX or sooner based on car's computer and for the love of god do not use 0w-20. These J37 2010-2013 engines tend to burn oil and get the rings clogged with carbon.

6. The dashboard looks like fake wood. Is this so?

Yes, cover that up with vinyl or whatever you'd like!

Thanks in advance.
See bold
The following users liked this post:
BIC2 (10-03-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 09:28 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
I agree that you can wait, until the TB is 10 years old, so you have time to find a repair shop that doesn't charge a shop rate of $150.

Join Facebook and find a local Honda or Acura car club.
Ask for recommended repair shops.
Ask if anyone has done a lot of TB replacements and what to watch out for. someone may offer to do yours.
That's how I found an Acura Tech that did my MDX TB on his day off at his house, for $300. He gave me a list of parts and I bought them online at an Acura dealer, for 30% off MSRP.
I also found two Honda Techs that came to my house and did the TB on both of my Integras for $140 each. Again they told me which parts to buy.

i did my own ADS to non-ADS shock swap and like the results.

Here's a list of OEM Acura discount dealers, which I've used over the years:hondapartsunlimited dot com Phoenix, AZ

newoempartsonline dot com Savanh, GA

bernardiparts dot com Boston, MA

acurapartsforless dot com New Jersey

acuraexpressparts dot com Chicago, iL

oemacuraparts dot com Peoria, AZ

macchurchill dot com Ft Worth, TX

acurapartshq dot com Las Vegas, NV

acuraoemparts dot com DelRay Beach, FL
The following 3 users liked this post by Carpayment4life:
ArmchairArchitect (10-11-2020), BIC2 (10-03-2020), csmeance (10-05-2020)