2010 MDX Tire Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 02:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 MDX Tire Recommendation

Hi-I have a 2010 MDX with about 33,000 miles on it, and will likely need to get new tires this summer. We live in the Midwest, and do not do much offroading. Does anyone have recommendations on some good tires to get, and some that would be at a good price?
Old 05-17-2014, 05:05 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
I am in the same position - planning to switch out the OEM Mich Latitudes just before the next winter. Looks like it will be Conti LX20s for me based on multiple reviews ( including in this forum ) or potentially Pirelli Scorpion Verde.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:17 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
i switched to conti LX20s last year. So far about 10k miles on them and they handle quite nicely in dry conditions, rain and snow were great as well. i drive pretty spiritedly at times and i have yet to chirp these tires. i chirped the michelins.

i had my choices narrowed to the LX20s or the Toyo versado CUV tires. i opted for the conti's due to the treadwear warranty of 70k (the miles to be had per $1 spent on the tire had me convinced). i have a set of conti DWS on my TL and have been pleased with them. coincidentally, i have conti tires on my bicycle as well.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:40 PM
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 165 Posts
I just got my truck with Goodyear Eagle LS2's. Wouldn't have been my first choice but they feel pretty nice.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:26 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Michelin Latitude. I heard many people recommending Conti DWS or Conti LX, General. I tried all for a few thousand miles and I had to come back to Michelin Lattitude. It's expensive but worth it. Please stay away from Conti DWS, it's car tire.Thanks,
Old 06-05-2014, 10:35 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,201 Posts
I have Conti DWS on my TSX (2nd set), RDX (2nd set) and MDX (just switched to 20"). The Conti DWS have performed very well for all three vehicles for my driving style in the southwest. I put 15,000-18,000 miles per year, avg speed on hwy 80 mph, and I love to see how far I can get the "sh" to move on the M.I.D. on my favorite curves. One thing about the Conti DWS or LX20 is they both exceed the OEM tire in pretty much all specifications. Why would you stay away from this tire if it exceeds every spec of the OEM tire?

One thing to remember is any brand may be good tire for "Tim" may be just ok for "Sam". Driving style, conditions, vehicle type, and driving experience will be more of a factor than just tires alone.

I upgrade my brakes and selected the Conti DWS to fit my driving style and emergencies grip/stops. Eco tire usually have longer stopping distance and less grip at the limits because of the low rolling resistance compounds to improve tread life and vehicle mpgs.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:18 AM
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
I have Conti DWS on my TSX (2nd set), RDX (2nd set) and MDX (just switched to 20"). The Conti DWS have performed very well for all three vehicles for my driving style in the southwest. I put 15,000-18,000 miles per year, avg speed on hwy 80 mph, and I love to see how far I can get the "sh" to move on the M.I.D. on my favorite curves. One thing about the Conti DWS or LX20 is they both exceed the OEM tire in pretty much all specifications. Why would you stay away from this tire if it exceeds every spec of the OEM tire?

One thing to remember is any brand may be good tire for "Tim" may be just ok for "Sam". Driving style, conditions, vehicle type, and driving experience will be more of a factor than just tires alone.

I upgrade my brakes and selected the Conti DWS to fit my driving style and emergencies grip/stops. Eco tire usually have longer stopping distance and less grip at the limits because of the low rolling resistance compounds to improve tread life and vehicle mpgs.
+1 on the Conti DWS. I have them on my TLS and RDX and they are a great car AND truck tire. The only reason they aren't on my MDX is because I just purchased it and it had brand new good years on it, which are decent but when I go to replace the tires it will be probably be with the Conti DWS.
A hidden bonus is they come with a protection plan built into the purchase price.
The following users liked this post:
mrgold35 (06-06-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 10:45 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I was on Tirerack looking at tires and reviews today. I saw they have a new tire, the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season PLUS. The Plus makes it the new version... Anyone have any experience with these or are they too new?
Old 06-07-2014, 04:43 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by sac2006TL
I was on Tirerack looking at tires and reviews today. I saw they have a new tire, the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season PLUS. The Plus makes it the new version... Anyone have any experience with these or are they too new?
The review tabs on tire rack.com should give you some useful info.
wakiva (06-02-2015)
Old 06-15-2014, 03:02 PM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Check www.performanceplustire.com They have great prices, great choices and they ship, If you're not local to them.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:07 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I am at 41K on my '11 MDX and the Michelins all have dry rot. I was also thinking about the Conti LX20's mostly because of the treadwear rating. I didn't hate the Michelins, but I thought they would last longer. Just curious if the Conti's are louder / quieter. Also wet / snow performance compared to the Michelins.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:21 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd stick with the Michelin Latitudes-- quiet-- handle well and designed for the car--Good Luck
Old 06-16-2014, 10:09 PM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have had good success with These Pirelli tires,,

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....13&CAGPSPN=pla
Old 06-20-2014, 05:55 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by fxcarden
I am at 41K on my '11 MDX and the Michelins all have dry rot. I was also thinking about the Conti LX20's mostly because of the treadwear rating. I didn't hate the Michelins, but I thought they would last longer. Just curious if the Conti's are louder / quieter. Also wet / snow performance compared to the Michelins.
I have the LX20s on my MDX for a full year now and 10k miles.

The price tag of the Conti's is much more attractive than that of the Michelins. Noise wise they are about the same to slightly quieter. Handling... in all conditions is much better than the Michelins. Dry handling seems to have improved a bit more 10k miles. Rain... it's like it's not even there. Snow....a champ through about 6-7 inches of snow on the ground.

My stock Michelins were not completely worn when I replaced then. They had about half of the treadlife remaining. I had weather checking on the sidewall of two of the tires. I opted that I valued my safety over risking anything happen on upcoming roadtrips last year. I was able to chirp these tires in hard turns. I have yet to do it on the Conti's.

I've been fairly pleased with them.

From what I read, Michelin tires after 3-5 years are prone to weather checking and dry rot no matter how well you take care of the tires. Our Accord is suffering from early dry rot despite washing and driving and putting 303 spray on them. I have Conti's on my TL...about 4 years old (the tires)... still look good despite being rarely driven.
fxcarden (07-14-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 06:11 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to be a Michelin fan for many years of owning Honda's, but I never drove my vehicles hard, and did regular rotations and alignments. I always had Michelin's that drove great, but wore through tread prematurely. I don't buy Michelin's anymore.
On my SUV's I have had Bridgestone Dueler, and Cooper Discoverer LSX... I love both of those. The Bridgestone is cheaper than the Michelin's and very good on mileage, and the Cooper's are cheaper still, but still very sound tires...I am not sure which of the tire models would be right for your MDX, but its worth asking a tire shop, or place like Tire Rack.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:37 AM
Racer

I priced the Michelins yesterday $1275 for everything. I think I'll keep on shopping.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:49 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

ok, i think i can assess wet weather performance of the conti LX20's since i spent a good chunk of time driving in a torrential downpour for HOURS from a recent road trip. 1-2" an hour variety of rain....no problems. i was able to drive at speed. get to the 3-4" an hour variety of rain...it gets a little iffy with a few moments of hydroplaning at speed, but with THAT much water on the road, no one should be driving at speed, ever no matter what tires you have on the car. most of the time i never felt nervous or lost confidence driving in the heavy rains, but you do have to keep safety as a factor. i was still able to go a little faster than most other cars on the road. tires currently have about 13k miles on them now.
The following 2 users liked this post by TLtrigirl:
fxcarden (07-14-2014), wakiva (06-02-2015)
Old 07-14-2014, 03:40 PM
Racer

I spoke to a trusted source today and will be ordering the LX20's. What finally convinced me was that he is seeing them a lot on BMW's and Mercedes now. That's good enough for me. I read some mixed reviews about defects on tires, but that can happen with any brand. Thanks all for the advice.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:39 PM
Racer

Well, the LX20's are on now. Will post impressions in about a month after I break them in. Very first impression - somewhat louder than the Latitudes but nothing major, and they appear to stick to the road like flypaper.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:23 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a tough questions - ask 20 people and you'll get 20 opinions. Search is your friend not to mention TireRack reviews.

That beings said over 91k miles I've had OEM Michelin Latitudes, Pirelli Scorpion Verde, and now Bridgestone Dueler H/L. The Michelins gave me 45k miles but the traction was bad near the end and actually slid into a snowbank on an icy snow covered road (fortunately no injuries). Pirelli tires always provide great performance but the tradeoff is that they are shot after 25-30k. Decided to take a chance on the Bridgestones given the cost and relatively positive reviews on tirerack. So far they are doing fine but you can tell that they are not high performance tires like Pirelli in terms of handling.

Overall I have yet to find a product that provides good traction when its snowing in the mountains combined with good overall performance for suburban/freeway driving. So you just have to read the reviews carefully and decide which tire comes closest to meeting your needs.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:55 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
Guys i have related query, I am planing to but a CPO 2nd Gen MDX(preferably 2011) what is the avg mileage at which the stock tires require replacement? I am in NY/NJ area which see a fair share of snow & bad roads.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:06 PM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by technocrat
Guys i have related query, I am planing to but a CPO 2nd Gen MDX(preferably 2011) what is the avg mileage at which the stock tires require replacement? I am in NY/NJ area which see a fair share of snow & bad roads.
I purchased my 11 MDX used with 30K on the Odo in Jan/14. The OEM tires were in good shape; but, there were a lot of hair line cracks in the sidewall near the tread. I figured it came from sun exposure since new. I went ahead and change out the tires and kept the best looking one as a spare.

I can see the OEM tires lasting +45,000 miles in the southwest and around +38,000 miles if decent snow traction is needed. I got 50,000 miles on my RDX with OEM tires in NM (almost zero weather other than wind and 4-6 inches of rain a year). Most tires will lose a little traction and get little louder on the hwy once they start to get pass the half-way mark.
technocrat (09-16-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 06:06 AM
Racer

We are in NJ and our 2010 has about 36-37K on the OEM Mich Lats now. Been good in snow last winter but this winter, I will want to change to brand new all seasons before we face the snow. 40k miles wear on these OEM Mich Lats should allow us to handle all the three other seasons ( including heavy rain ) just fine.

We'll be getting either Conti LX 20, Pirelli Scorpion Verde or Bridgestone Dueler Ecopia 422 sometime in Dec this year.
technocrat (09-16-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
We've got Hankook on ours and they handle awesome in wet/dry conditions.. quiet also. Unsure of the model, but I can post it if anyone is interested.

I'd prob put the same ones back on, no sense in paying for a premium tire if you're happy with what works.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:59 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

the stock michelins on my MDX got to about 40k miles. treadwear was below snow ready standards (less than 5/32) but ok for dry and rain. i had weather checking in the two older OEM tires (the other two were newer-replaced due to CPO less than 50% wear). i was doing road trips and didn't want to risk anything during the summer. otherwise i probably would have been able to comfortably wait until the fall/winter and be up to 45-46k miles just before the snow hit the ground.

i replaced with the conti LX20s. up to 15k miles now on them. still have plenty of tread (as they should for a 70k mile tire). MDX/tires handled 6 inches of unplowed snow effortlessly, torrential down pours on the hwy, and they actually get a bit better dry handling as the tires have broken in. overall, happy with them.
technocrat (09-16-2014)
Old 09-13-2014, 04:44 PM
Rich and Famous

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
FYI - The guys at Discount Tire say you can get 100 and 1 opinions
but OEM Mich Latitudes are as good as it gets in all season central Texas like driving.
Also said some might have better warranty, better price, or better wet snow traction but
they all wear out round 40 K miles .. Due to the AWD SH.
I plan to stay OEM and all is good at 25K on 2011 Advance.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:41 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by EL_PIC
FYI - The guys at Discount Tire say you can get 100 and 1 opinions
but OEM Mich Latitudes are as good as it gets in all season central Texas like driving.
Also said some might have better warranty, better price, or better wet snow traction but
they all wear out round 40 K miles .. Due to the AWD SH.
I plan to stay OEM and all is good at 25K on 2011 Advance.

Nice to know, but that's just another opinion so make that 102.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:01 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
Thanks a lot guys, so if I am buying one now, any vehicle above 32-35k means i would be looking at a Tire upgrade soon.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:06 AM
Instructor

Thanks a lot guys, so if I am buying one now, any vehicle above 32-35k means i would be looking at a Tire upgrade soon.

Not if they just put tires on it...
Old 09-18-2014, 07:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
MDX Tire Recommendation

My tire shop is recommending Maxxis CV01 tires instead of the Michelins. Any comments? Thanks, kp
Old 09-19-2014, 07:36 AM
Instructor

Guys. You can put whatever tire you want on your truck... Most places will let you return tires if you dont like them for whatever reason... So try out a bunch.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by FactoryMDX
Guys. You can put whatever tire you want on your truck... .
But we are not talking trucks here, we are talking MDX, that's a big difference in requirements.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:07 AM
Instructor

Its a truck. Ppl have different requirements for tires on trucks, and trucks drive differently than cars.. Cars are lighter and have a different suspension feel because of it. Trucks are heavier vice versa.

The MDX is just a name and it is not a type of vehicle... There are cars and there are trucks. MDX is a truck. Sam I am, green eggs and ham.

Also db22, it doesn't take away the FACT that I said to try different brands... The fact that I think its a truck and you think its an "mdx" (whatever that means) is irrelevant. If you want to get your post count up try something more constructive than what you just said...

Last edited by FactoryMDX; 09-19-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:39 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2009 MDX with Mich tires on them. They have been great tires but way too loud! I like to shop and support out local community as we live in a small village (a lot of stores have closed down recently) and they sell Cooper tires. Has anyone out there tried Cooper tires? I see there are several different tread designs offered. We had a lot of snow last winter and have heard this year will be just as bad. Just asking if anyone has an opinion on which Cooper tires they have used.
Thanx!
Old 10-03-2014, 08:50 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by theocon
I have a 2009 MDX with Mich tires on them. They have been great tires but way too loud! I like to shop and support out local community as we live in a small village (a lot of stores have closed down recently) and they sell Cooper tires. Has anyone out there tried Cooper tires? I see there are several different tread designs offered. We had a lot of snow last winter and have heard this year will be just as bad. Just asking if anyone has an opinion on which Cooper tires they have used.
Thanx!

I haven't had a set of quiet tires in a loooong time... I feel like they are all loud.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:26 AM
mrgold35

I don't know about the MDX being a truck and it needs truck tires? Size wise and higher center of gravity it is similar to the frame on ladder design truck/full size SUV. The Uni-body design seems to be closer to a taller version of the sedan family. The current MDX/RDX weigh the same or less than previous gen RL/TL. I would pick a tire that supports your driving habits and road conditions. I picked a high performance, all season, long tread wear, non-directional tire with quiet tread design and high speed (80-90 mph) stability and cornering for 90-95% dry conditions for my TSX, RDX and MDX. I don't think a truck tire would fit my driving habits as well as the Conti DWS.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:54 AM
Instructor

I don't know mrgold, they don't look very close to me. these are both 07's.. an RL and MDX, the bigger numbers are obviously the MDX.

2010 MDX Tire Recommendation-m-d-x.png

2010 MDX Tire Recommendation-rl.png
Old 10-03-2014, 10:43 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by FactoryMDX
I don't know mrgold, they don't look very close to me. these are both 07's.. an RL and MDX, the bigger numbers are obviously the MDX.

Attachment 25460

Attachment 25461
The current MDX/RDX (2014 MDX/2014 RDX) weigh the same or less than previous gen RL/TL (10-14 TL and 10-13 RL).

10-12 RDX: 3743lbs to 3942lbs
+12 TL: 3726 to 4001lbs
+10 RL: 4099lbs to 4112lbs
+14 MDX: 4025lbs to 4332lbs
+13 RDX: 3717lbs to 3852lbs

I was thinking how vehicles are moving toward lighter weights and becoming more efficient with a by product of improve handing/acceleration. Hard to find a SUV similar size of the 07-13 MDX with its type of handing within the MDX price range. The MDX is a lot fun to drive with the right type of tires if that is important to you. The big girl loves to dance and shake her rump if you let her. The sh-awd is tuned so much more aggressively and with rear/outer TQ applied compared to my mostly fwd sh-awd RDX. Other than the extra TQ of my RDX (hondata, ETS intercooler, heatshield gasket, K/N filter, eibach springs), it is not much of a downgrade driving the MDX on the same curves.

Last edited by mrgold35; 10-03-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Factory MDX, let me simplify it for you:
A truck has 150, 250 etc or 1500, 2500 etc in the name and it probably has a lawnmower, pool chemicals or paint in the back of it. An SUV may be called a name, a letter or a combination, E.G. Highlander, MDX, Q60 and probably has family members and a dog in the back of it.

The criteria of the tires for each application is different:
Trucks, being commercial vehicles, may carry large/heavy loads, rarely are driven in a "sporty" mode and are not particularly useful for performance.
An SUV is a people/utility vehicle typically utilized for family hauling with space for family equipment.

In case it's still not clear:

Do not put your kids in the back of a truck and don't fill up your SUV with wet sand.
mrgold35 (10-03-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 01:02 PM
Instructor

These ppl that write about trucks...entitled "truck yeah" seem to think its enough of a truck to waste time making an article about it.
2014 Acura MDX SH-AWD: The Truck Yeah! Review

here are some definitions of the word "TRUCK" and SUV

2010 MDX Tire Recommendation-1.png

2010 MDX Tire Recommendation-capture.png

Heres 2 mdx's with truck tires on their trucks

2010 MDX Tire Recommendation-844ac886a6_640.jpg

2010 MDX Tire Recommendation-unnamed.jpg

2010 MDX Tire Recommendation-unnamed-1-.jpg

btw, that was the most ignorant explanation I've ever heard. Are you even mechanically inclined to talk about this sort of stuff? Doesn't sound like it, so why would anyone listen to what you have to say about anything pertaining to automobiles.....

Last edited by FactoryMDX; 10-03-2014 at 01:07 PM.

Quick Reply: 2010 MDX Tire Recommendation