2010 MDX noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 02:23 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 MDX noise

Hi, I have a 2010 MDX tech. Recently I hear some click click sound from engine/transmission when the car is around 10mph-20mph under light accelaration (1000rpm-2000rmp), the noise only happens when the engine is warm, it is annoying once you hear it.

Brought the car to the dealership twice, they said it's normal, I don't hear it on my friend's 09 MDX, I know 10MDX has a new 6A transmission, does anyone else have this sound/noise? or it is indeed normal?
The following users liked this post:
Egay310 (08-29-2013)
Old 05-04-2010, 02:39 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a MDX 09and I have paired my black berry 9550 storm 2 but unable to download phone book. Doesn't seem to recognize it - annoying - any ideas hope it's just me and not the phone inability.
tx-s8
Old 05-04-2010, 02:49 PM
2nd Gear

09 MDX with Nav

I have a MDX 09 with NAV....Unable to download BB phone book 9550 (storm 2). I was able to pair the phone after several tries but not able to have the MDX find the phone book?? Is there a way around this? tx/S8
Old 05-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2010mdx
Hi, I have a 2010 MDX tech. Recently I hear some click click sound from engine/transmission when the car is around 10mph-20mph under light accelaration (1000rpm-2000rmp), the noise only happens when the engine is warm, it is annoying once you hear it.

Brought the car to the dealership twice, they said it's normal, I don't hear it on my friend's 09 MDX, I know 10MDX has a new 6A transmission, does anyone else have this sound/noise? or it is indeed normal?
Is it clicking continuously or every now and then? Is it possibly the fans going off and on?
Old 05-04-2010, 10:08 PM
Advanced

Suzanne
You should start a separate thread of your own, will have much more people seeing it that way.
Did you check the list to see if your phone is compatible with the system? I know the NAV in the '10 is in the deck but not sure what else they changed. My iPhone was easy to connect to and download address book.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Don't know if you've seen this site, but thought I'd link it anyways.....

http://www.handsfreelink.com/pairaphone.taf
Old 05-05-2010, 09:19 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by drksyd
Is it clicking continuously or every now and then? Is it possibly the fans going off and on?
No, drksyd, I don't think the noise is from the fan, that happens everytime you go from 10mph-20mph, actually, I think it's there even when the speed is over 20mph, just other noise will bury this. When I hear the noise, if I move my foot away from the gas, the noise is gone.

Strange thing is this only happens when the engine is warm, if the engine is not warm like in the morning, I don't hear the noise, but after a couple of miles, the noise came up.

Really annoying.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Advanced

Let it warm up and have someone hold the gas pedal while you try and see where the noise is coming from.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Sorry to hear that. My 2010 MDX doesn't have that problem.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:44 PM
THƎSƎ HOPƎFUL MACHINƎS

It's difficult to be sure from your description, but if it's just a brief sound, I've heard talk of the VSA system calibrating itself making an odd clicking/rubbing sound briefly around that speed.

My '09 makes the sound I describe when I hit around 28 mph. It lasts a second or so, then goes away.

If that's what it is, then you have nothing to be alarmed about.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:20 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by jsilas
It's difficult to be sure from your description, but if it's just a brief sound, I've heard talk of the VSA system calibrating itself making an odd clicking/rubbing sound briefly around that speed.

My '09 makes the sound I describe when I hit around 28 mph. It lasts a second or so, then goes away.

Thanks jsilas, the VSA self calib sound should happen only once after you start the car, once you hear it, you should not hear it again until next start. But mine is after the engine is warm, you can hear it every time you go from 10-20mph, sometimes it's rather loud, like ka-ka-ka sound. I am leaning towards the sound is from transmission, the frequency of the sound increases when the speed increases.

The problem for me is, two techs from the dealership thought the sound was not normal before the service rep came, but the service rep from Acura said it is normal, so the techs from the dealership have to say it's normal too.

Any suggestion what I should do next? The service rep will come in two weeks down the road, I have scheduled another appointment with him again anyway. Don't know how to persuade him. Basically he didn't do any check last time, just said normal by listening the sound.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:36 AM
Advanced

When the service rep comes back, test drive a new MDX on the lot and see if it makes the same noise. Also have a technician riding along as well in yours and the new one.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:11 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by drksyd
When the service rep comes back, test drive a new MDX on the lot and see if it makes the same noise. Also have a technician riding along as well in yours and the new one.
Thanks, drksyd, I will try to test drive other MDX with the rep next time.

I was frustrated to hear the rep saying "it's the normal characteristic". I seached online, found Acura used the same phrase when people complained about TSX pinging issue a couple of years ago, but finally Acura came up with a TSB to address the issue.

Hopefully it's just me, not the new 6A transmission.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:53 AM
Advanced

I don't notice any noise from my trans, but, I do hear my sunroof kind of pop when I go over bumps.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:00 PM
LDX
5th Gear

Did you ever find out the cause of the noise? I hear something similar under light acceleration.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I have a '10 Tech and no problems here at almost 600 miles. I will listen carefully next time I'm on the road. Congrats on your purchase.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:07 PM
4th Gear

Hi. I'm new to the forum. I was reading this thread and felt compelled to add that I have a 2011 mdx with this issue. I had 800 miles when I first brought it to the dealer. Tech looked at me and said the sound was normal. Wow.

The sound seemed to be getting worse so I brought it back a week later and second tech said he acknowledges my concern. They instructed me to take the vehicle back home while they open a tech line on the issue ( not sure if that's the correct terms). It's been 3 days now and no response. I'll update when I hear more.
  1. Stop to Go -clak,clak,clak,clak, pause (gear change) clak, clak, clak, continues up to 4th gear then I stop hearing it.
  2. Does it in Reverse.
  3. Increases in volume the harder you press the accelerator and the repetition seems to increase.
  4. This is only heard when you press the accelerator.
  5. Doesn't do it in neutral.
  6. Doesn't do it in park.
  7. Doesn't do it if the car is cold.
  8. I've used Shell 93 for my gas. Not sure what the dealer put for the free fill up at purchase.
I hope they don't brush me off as a normal sound. Cause I really like my mdx but this sound for a luxury vehicle is crazy.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:57 AM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jsilas

Is this sound just a few thumping sounds? If so I have the same thing and I was told that it is from the ABS and is normal. It will do it the first time you drive after starting but not again until you turn the ignition off and restart and drive again.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:57 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by pearl MDX
Is this sound just a few thumping sounds? If so I have the same thing and I was told that it is from the ABS and is normal. It will do it the first time you drive after starting but not again until you turn the ignition off and restart and drive again.
Hey pearl MDX. No it's not the thump from the abs. This is a continuous knock/clak sound that exist when the accelerator is pressed all the way up to about 35mph.

I had 2 friends that are somewhat mechanically inclined ride with me. Both agreed that the sound is there (unlike the dealer) and had 2 different opinions on what it is. One said transmission or forward axle the other thought it was more main barring. Both are not what I wanted to hear. I have 1000 miles on the vehicle and it's eating me up inside to think that one of these may be the case.

My dealer is brushing me off and saying all mdx's sound this way. I test drove 2 mdx and neither did it. Despite that I called customer care and the dealer told them they were able to reproduce the sound in another mdx. Customer care said they would keep a case file open until the dealer opened a tech line with honda. So I'm waiting for an even bigger brush off.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:40 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any updates on the issues you all are experiences with the knock sound that might be transmission related?

Considering the purchase of a 2011 MDX and this "issue" one of our remaining concerns.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

None here. Can you record the noise and post to Youtube? Could be a loose heatshield. Did you get a trailer hitch installed recently?
Old 02-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Rich and Famous

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
All is quiet with my 2011 MDX.
I agree it would be good if you can record and post that noise.
With the previous AT problems reported on Acura and early MDX
there should be intrest in this new 6 speed trany.
How bout your skid plate being loose ??
Old 04-30-2011, 12:01 AM
8th Gear

Just bought a 2011 TL AWD, it only has 300 miles on it and i've noticed this knocking sound...exactly how it is described above. It starts a few miles in after a cold start, only happens during accleration and stops (or is drown out) after 30mph or a few gears. Only happens while in drive or reverse, never in park or neutral.

I've driven Acura for the last 15 years (95 Integra and an 01' CL Type S) so I KNOW how an Acura engine sounds. This is a distinctive knocking and is not a steady engine sound...its a knock over the usual engine accleration and it sounds like a problem.

I believe the TL AWD has the same engine as the MDX. The TL gets premium gas every time and I've even put in different brands with no luck. Dealer says its the gas but wants me to bring it in so they can tell me its normal. If someone has found the cause please post up.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:43 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nocturnal99
Just bought a 2011 TL AWD, it only has 300 miles on it and i've noticed this knocking sound...exactly how it is described above. It starts a few miles in after a cold start, only happens during accleration and stops (or is drown out) after 30mph or a few gears. Only happens while in drive or reverse, never in park or neutral.

I've driven Acura for the last 15 years (95 Integra and an 01' CL Type S) so I KNOW how an Acura engine sounds. This is a distinctive knocking and is not a steady engine sound...its a knock over the usual engine accleration and it sounds like a problem.

I believe the TL AWD has the same engine as the MDX. The TL gets premium gas every time and I've even put in different brands with no luck. Dealer says its the gas but wants me to bring it in so they can tell me its normal. If someone has found the cause please post up.
That's unfortunate your hearing a sound. I was following this noise issue in the MDX in a couple forums. But, we ended up getting a 2011 TL (non-SAWD) and not the MDX.

Not that there's not a post out there somewhere, but I did not see the MDX issue that is the subject of this post as being a problem on the 2011 TL. I understood this MDX issue as being something associated with the new 6 speed transmission in the MDX (which I think now is in the 2012 TL). The 2011 TL has the 5 speed transmission so I don't believe based on what I read the issue is really identical. But, I'm just a TL owner and certainly no mechanic.

Anyway, I hope you problem gets resolved. We've been extremely happy with our TL which now has 2500 miles on it.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 267 Posts
I am not sure if the engine noises I am hearing in my 2011 MDX is the same as what everyone is describing. I have over 2100 miles on mine now and it's more of a metallic/pinging sound from the engine under light acceleration with load. I am running premium 93 from the same Sunoco gas station since day one. My theory on this issue is that if it's not pinging or any major mechanical issue, it's probably exhaust resonance. I noticed this same type of metallic sounding noise from other MDXs in traffic. It's very distinctive when pulling away from a stop.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:27 AM
8th Gear

Well my TL has been in the shop at the dealer for over two weeks now. They agree that the sound is not right and have done a lot of work so far with no luck. I'm going to contact Acura and then go to the dealer Wednesday to see what my options are since they tore apart the engine on a brand new car, The dealer has been really good through all of this. I think my ride has a defective engine, im pissed I didnt pick the other color they had, that car probably works fine!
Old 05-25-2011, 09:44 PM
8th Gear

I realize i'm on the MDX forum talking about a 2011 TL but I just wanted to post up about what Acura and the dealer said about my car and the engine knock that you folks described above. They are replacing my engine and giving me an extended 8 year 120,000 mile warranty on the new one. See link to post below:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=782374&page=2
Old 06-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Cruisin'

Yes I am hearing a noise with our 2010 MDX.. During the low part of acceleration there is a clicking noise coming from the tranny area. Almost sounds like a hole in the exhaust of an old vehicle. Doesn't happen all the time.

I dont have the sound in my 2011 RDX. And we didnt hear it with our 07 MDX.