2007 MDX Check engine light on, oh great!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 08:48 PM
Bella Nova

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 MDX Check engine light on, oh great!

any ideas would greatly be appreciated. Our MDX has shown us this light before, the check transmission. It cleared itself out rather quickly so We haven't had it diagnosed yet. Then the other day my wife hopped into the car and turned the key and nothing happened. All lights and power equip were on and functioning. The display then showed a new message, check starting system. She was just about to get a jump but after a dozen or so turns of the key the car started! Battery seems fine, it's only a year old. We did have the starter replaced a few months ago. Had transmission fluid service a few months ago. And above all the car runs fine, both before and after the strange no starting situation. we have an Independent shop we are considering for a diagnosis, but has anybody any clue what's going on? Btw the check engine light is still illuminated. Thank you!
Old 06-27-2016, 10:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Keanu's mrs. T
any ideas would greatly be appreciated. Our MDX has shown us this light before, the check transmission. It cleared itself out rather quickly so We haven't had it diagnosed yet. Then the other day my wife hopped into the car and turned the key and nothing happened. All lights and power equip were on and functioning. The display then showed a new message, check starting system. She was just about to get a jump but after a dozen or so turns of the key the car started! Battery seems fine, it's only a year old. We did have the starter replaced a few months ago. Had transmission fluid service a few months ago. And above all the car runs fine, both before and after the strange no starting situation. we have an Independent shop we are considering for a diagnosis, but has anybody any clue what's going on? Btw the check engine light is still illuminated. Thank you!
Best bet is to get the codes read and post it to help with diagnosing the problem. Local auto stores like AutoZone can read the code for free
Old 06-28-2016, 06:43 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
the check engine light is a clue or a key! it doesnt necessarily mean something bad has happened, its just letting you know something is going on and needs attention.

the check engine light could mean millions and millions of different things. no one knows whats going on with your car until you get the check engine light checked by an OBDII reader, that most autoparts stores are more than willing to help you diagnose the code.

so, in conclusion....we dont have a clue on what is going on with your car until you get the codes scanned... when you get the codes scanned, be sure to write down the code and the description.
its a letter followed by four numbers...usually a P0XXX
Old 06-28-2016, 08:24 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
the check engine light is a clue or a key! it doesnt necessarily mean something bad has happened, its just letting you know something is going on and needs attention.

the check engine light could mean millions and millions of different things. no one knows whats going on with your car until you get the check engine light checked by an OBDII reader, that most autoparts stores are more than willing to help you diagnose the code.

so, in conclusion....we dont have a clue on what is going on with your car until you get the codes scanned... when you get the codes scanned, be sure to write down the code and the description.
its a letter followed by four numbers...usually a P0XXX
There are apps and websites to verify codes pulled, you can also use Google, but I believe a good OBDII scanner will also include description of those pulled codes....

Typically, a check engine light isn't a severe matter at all, just don't ignore it...
Old 06-28-2016, 08:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,741 Likes on 6,743 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
There are apps and websites to verify codes pulled, you can also use Google, but I believe a good OBDII scanner will also include description of those pulled codes....

Typically, a check engine light isn't a severe matter at all, just don't ignore it...

Don't spew nonsense and conjecture without knowing the OP's full issue.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery

uhhhh....thats exactly what I said....
Old 06-28-2016, 08:51 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
uhhhh....thats exactly what I said....
I know... Wasn't sure though I've been glancing through certain things, my phone is almost dead, and my data ran out so I'm waiting a very long time for stuff to load, hence the dead battery...

OP, listen to Justnspace, he knows what he's talking about...
Old 06-29-2016, 05:12 AM
Bella Nova

Thanks for the constructive responses, I'm on my way to a shop and see what is going on. crossing my fingers it's something minor or nothing at all.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:17 PM
Bella Nova

Our Indy shop initially thought starter relays were the issue. They pulled up two codes indicating starter and transmission relays. Can't remember the codes. But anyways thought problem was fixed but after a day car wouldn't start and check starting system illuminated. So after another visit to shop they determined ECU may need replacing or reprogramming. They recommend going to Honda dealer and have them reprogram ECU and go from there. Unfortunately we don't have an Acura dealer nearby so Honda it is. So for now our mdx has been garaged until tomorrow. Cross my fingers it starts up!
Old 07-05-2016, 02:36 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Our Indy shop initially thought starter relays were the issue. They pulled up two codes indicating starter and transmission relays. Can't remember the codes. But anyways thought problem was fixed but after a day car wouldn't start and check starting system illuminated. So after another visit to shop they determined ECU may need replacing or reprogramming. They recommend going to Honda dealer and have them reprogram ECU and go from there. Unfortunately we don't have an Acura dealer nearby so Honda it is. So for now our mdx has been garaged until tomorrow. Cross my fingers it starts up!
So your indie replaced relays without checking them to make sure they were bad? Hope you find another indie.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (07-05-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 06:36 AM

thus why its very important to write down the codes...
Old 07-05-2016, 07:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Artbuc
So your indie replaced relays without checking them to make sure they were bad? Hope you find another indie.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:20 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by thoiboi
And your point is?
Old 07-05-2016, 03:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 908 Likes on 691 Posts
And your point is?
That emoji means he agrees with you...
Old 07-05-2016, 04:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RDX10
That emoji means he agrees with you...
Looked everywhere and can not find this one. I'm old fashioned and usually express my ideas in words.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Looked everywhere and can not find this one. I'm old fashioned and usually express my ideas in words.

Whale cum to the Internet,

^that's a form of salutation, a greeting! I'm WAVING

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...=search-action

Definition of the word as per said "Internetz".

^that's me smiling

Last edited by thoiboi; 07-05-2016 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:32 PM
Suzuka Master

On every forum I have ever been on emojis are used to express thoughts and feelings on a subject, because words do not always come through when typed.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:19 PM
Bella Nova

P0615 and P1717 were the codes. Honda dealer couldn't confirm codes today since indie shop cleared them. Plus, mdx is running great now w/o any CEL or anything on the MID. Honda needs to replicate problem so they can't fix something that's not currently broken. Just gotta wait till the problem happens again and try and get to the dealer asap.
justnspace (07-06-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 02:53 AM
Instructor

Whale cum to the Internet,

^that's a form of salutation, a greeting! I'm WAVING

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...=search-action

Definition of the word as per said "Internetz".

^that's me smiling
Wish I could find an emoji of me holding up my middle finger.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:59 AM
Instructor

On every forum I have ever been on emojis are used to express thoughts and feelings on a subject, because words do not always come through when typed.
This is the result of the dumbing down of American education. It is hard to get express ideas with such limited vocabularies. Like basically, do u no wat I'm sayin?
Old 07-06-2016, 03:28 AM
Suzuka Master

There are actually a number if middle finger emojis on here. When you click the emoji page, scroll down to the more tab and you can see all the emojis.

This is the result of the dumbing down of American education. It is hard to get express ideas with such limited vocabularies. Like basically, do u no wat I'm sayin?
While I do agree that education has been exponentially dumbed down, I disagree on vocabulary being the root cause of the innability to properly convey tone through written text.

For example: "are you serious" can be stated in multiple tones an therefore convey multiple meanings. I certainly can add punctuation marks to try and narrow down my tone for the online reader, but it is sometimes much easier to just use a sinple emoji and get the point across.

In the case of this situation, he could have simply said "yes" or "I agree" but as is the common theme on this forum, you will have a lot of younger folks or people who simply prefer the use of emojis and are comfortable with them to use emojis. For example, up above you stated that you wanted a middle finger emoji...isn't that much easier than typing out "I want to give you the middle finger". See what I mean?
justnspace (07-06-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 06:34 AM

^perfect example of using his words. Good job RDX10

P.S. the clapping emoji means I agree with you(lol didnt want that to get lost in translation)
thoiboi (07-06-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 06:37 AM

P0615 and P1717 were the codes. Honda dealer couldn't confirm codes today since indie shop cleared them. Plus, mdx is running great now w/o any CEL or anything on the MID. Honda needs to replicate problem so they can't fix something that's not currently broken. Just gotta wait till the problem happens again and try and get to the dealer asap.
correct! thanks for remembering the codes!
in order to trouble shoot, the codes have to come back!
if they dont come back, then you can shrug it off as a one time event.
if SAME EXACT codes come back up, you know you have a more serious event going on.
the dealership is correct in this instance
Old 07-06-2016, 07:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Your generation needs to try harder, it wasn't that hard to find.

^that's me rolling my eyes

There are actually a number if middle finger emojis on here. When you click the emoji page, scroll down to the more tab and you can see all the emojis.

While I do agree that education has been exponentially dumbed down, I disagree on vocabulary being the root cause of the innability to properly convey tone through written text.

For example: "are you serious" can be stated in multiple tones an therefore convey multiple meanings. I certainly can add punctuation marks to try and narrow down my tone for the online reader, but it is sometimes much easier to just use a sinple emoji and get the point across.

In the case of this situation, he could have simply said "yes" or "I agree" but as is the common theme on this forum, you will have a lot of younger folks or people who simply prefer the use of emojis and are comfortable with them to use emojis. For example, up above you stated that you wanted a middle finger emoji...isn't that much easier than typing out "I want to give you the middle finger". See what I mean?

^me agreeing with him.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:01 AM
Instructor

Your generation needs to try harder, it wasn't that hard to find.

^that's me rolling my eyes

^me agreeing with him.
Right you are! I was looking elsewhere on the net instead of the listing on this forum. Uh-oh, I have to stop immediately. Opp's, too late, I just crapped my pants and I forgot to put on my Depends.
justnspace (07-06-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 11:07 AM

(that means; I understood your joke and I'm on the ground rolling with laughter)
Old 07-06-2016, 11:13 AM
Senior Moderator

it's okay,

we love you!

^that's a hug
Old 07-06-2016, 01:12 PM
Suzuka Master

^perfect example of using his words. Good job RDX10

P.S. the clapping emoji means I agree with you(lol didnt want that to get lost in translation)
Lol

I kniw what that means! Haha
Old 07-06-2016, 01:16 PM

just dumbing it down for our dear friend artbuc!
Old 07-06-2016, 07:02 PM
Suzuka Master

just dumbing it down for our dear friend artbuc!
I feel he now gets it