2006 mdx transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 07:33 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 mdx transmission issues

This is my first acura and after doing lots of research and reading I realize of course that the transmission in this car is historically a weak link. I want to tell me story just to see if there is any hope for this car. I bought this car from a dealer in florida out of a bit of desperation as I needed to get home to NC. Car drove perfect on the test drive and also made the 600 mile trip to nc without an issue. Around a week later I noticed something leaking under the car and assumed it was an oil leak. I had a mechanic look a few days later and he couldn't figure out where it was leaking from and told me to bring it back to the shop the next day as he needed to take the wheel off to find the leak(he also thought it was oil as the fluid was very dark). After returning to the mechanic he took the wheel off and determined it was leaking transmission fluid and needed a seal replaced. It took 3 quarts of oil for it to be full on the dipstick and the seal was replaced and the lead stopped. Around this time its started having trouble shifting and would sort of surge before shifting especially between first and second. I did a 3 x transmission fluid change (valvoline maxlife) and added a recommended additive to try and help this issue. The magnetic drain plug was covered in metal shards that I cleaned off during the fluid changes. Currently this is what is happening. When I first drive the car even if I really hit the gas it shifts fine and seems good. After I have been driving it for an hour or so it starts having issues shifting and will start surging when going up a steep hill or taking off from a stop light. If I drive like a grandpa it will normally shift fine. Any hope or just drive it till the tranny completely fails and get another car? Thanks in Advance for the advise acura experts!
Old 03-29-2020, 07:39 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,027 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Drive it until it fails and don't use Valvoline MaxLife, that ATF is NOT approved for use in any Honda transmission.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:13 AM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Transmission was a weak link in some Hondas in early 2000s, but a 2006 car is not among those affected because by that time the issues have been resolved. If your transmission is shot, it's not because it was weak, it's likely because it wasn't serviced properly (incorrect service intervals, non Honda ATF, etc).

I second the above post from "horseshoez" - DO NOT USE any non Honda ATF with your car.

What seal does your mechanic mean?