"04 MDX suspension noise.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2023, 09:21 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"04 MDX suspension noise.

Hey guys (people?).

2004 MDX. 145k. Great condition mechanically.

I'm getting a clicking noise "similar" to a worn CV axle...not the same consistency as that though. I've changed out every suspension wear item under there. New pads and rotors. New Yoko tires. Professional alignment after the parts change. New CV's just because I was already under there. Professional diagnosis..with no results.

Granted the control arms and tie rod ends and struts are Chinese parts, but new.

The noise (front drivers side) seems to happen at low speeds while braking. But it's not every time. It's inconsistent. I'm starting to think in terms of brake caliper alignment pins being worn or bent or something, it's really bugging me. I've been chasing this noise for a while.

Here's a weird addition. It seems that the noise stops for a day or 2 after I put the wheel back on.....?

1. Has anyone had this occur before?
2. What's next?

Thanks, Robert
Old 10-13-2023, 04:26 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
For clarity, does the clicking change sound (frequency) with wheel rotation speed? i.e. as you brake and slow down, is the clicking sound changing in frequency or intensity?
Old 10-13-2023, 04:48 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Waukesha
For clarity, does the clicking change sound (frequency) with wheel rotation speed? i.e. as you brake and slow down, is the clicking sound changing in frequency or intensity?
No it's the same. But your question brings up more information. The click only happens once per incident, usually only once or twice in a day even. Almost like something settling.

R
Old 10-13-2023, 05:35 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Never use counterfeit parts in your car's suspension. Safety concerns outweigh everything. Start by replacing them first.
Old 10-13-2023, 06:26 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
hmmmm....assuming you replaced everything suspension related to include ball joints (that probably came with the lower control arm) and sway-bar links I would think about diagnosing ideas which is very difficult because its intermittent. I'm no professional but if this was me I'd:
1) In park with engine running, pump the brakes a bunch and see if you can replicate it. Or move slightly and pump brakes. If so, that will isolate it to brakes.
2) Jack up the all the wheels:
2a: Rotate the front wheels by hand and listen for anything odd or clicking. If you have a second person have them press the brakes while you spin the tire. This may hone in on the source.
2b: Start the engine and put it in drive so the wheels can spin a decent amount then pump the brakes to replicate the sound with a second person near the wheel to listen. That may hone you into the source.
3) Remove and inspect all brake parts looking for anything worn or out of alignment.

Old 10-13-2023, 09:28 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by DundukovEM
Never use counterfeit parts in your car's suspension. Safety concerns outweigh everything. Start by replacing them first.
Replacing the entire front suspension system with OEM is better than 50% of the resale value of the vehicle. At some point one must choose common sense. It's suspension dude, safety isn't really an issue. BUT I will concede that shitty parts do make diagnosis a pain.

R
Old 10-14-2023, 05:56 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by litlerob
Replacing the entire front suspension system with OEM is better than 50% of the resale value of the vehicle. At some point one must choose common sense. It's suspension dude, safety isn't really an issue.
The lower ball joint is a very serious safety concern. Since it's part of the lower control arm and cannot be replaced separately, using an aftermarket lower control arm can cause serious problems.
Old 10-15-2023, 11:38 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by DundukovEM
The lower ball joint is a very serious safety concern. Since it's part of the lower control arm and cannot be replaced separately, using an aftermarket lower control arm can cause serious problems.
I don't know if you're trying to hawk parts or something. But we're off topic. Being off topic: Aftermarket doesn't automatically equal poor quality. I can!! But they're not synonymous. There is also poor quality in OEM. That's the nature of manufacturing. Even Aerospace parts have a 3% compromise acceptability in quality. Boeing has a 3 % reject acceptabity.