TL/TLX Frequently Asked Questions No New Threads Please.

Comptech Springs Now Shipping!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 01:23 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did any of you have money left over after the spring install to buy a digital camera? We need PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!:toothless
Old 01-24-2004, 07:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I posted this in another thread but really want some answers as people are having their springs installed in the next week:

OK guys...here's the info I need about the Comptechs before I pull the trigger:

1. Squat on acceleration and dip on braking. With the stock springs, there's hardly any squat already, but quite a dip (you can even see this in Acura's "Roads" TV ad). How's this change with the CTs?

2. Body roll in steep turns. It's present, but not severely, with the stock springs. Any improvement?

3. Number of bounces over a moderate bump at freeway speed...I notice 1-2 bounces before the car settles with the stock springs. Any improvement?

4. "Quickness" of steering: does this improve after the springs? There's something of a numb spot when the steering wheel is centered on both my old and new TLs; this disappeared when I put Comptechs on my last TL. Again, any change with the CTs?

Thanks for the information.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:45 AM
BOOK EM

I had another post started, "COMPTECH SPRINGS COST$$" and had the dealer do the install. After hearing how much I paid for the work, and what other people are paying, don`t go to a dealer. They have a set hour of install from the service manual,(approx.6hrs). At 70.00 -95.00 per hr. depending on the dealer, this adds up. Comptech reads on their website 2-3 hrs install time, from what are posted here, it seems true.

Anyway, I have to say the springs greatly improve the handling. Hard braking does little to front end drop. And cornering keeps roll to a bare minimum. I had a 99 M3, and this TL has about 98% of the characteristics the M had. Very happy with this part.

As for the ride comfort, there is definitely a difference. More of a "firmer" ride. To me, it doesn`t bother me. To get the "look and feel" of the qualities of this option, its worth it. To others, if your main concern is the limit of the ride and comfort of the TL at present, is reached, don`t do it.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I'm looking for a shop in the Cleveland area, but both shops I know of that do such work are no longer doing springs (including the one that installed the springs on my prior TL, which shut down). I may not install the springs at all now because my only option here in town is to go to the dealer and spend more than I should.
Or I can travel. Anyone in Columbus, Toledo, Youngstown, or Detroit have any options?
Old 01-24-2004, 10:01 AM
BOOK EM

NEURONBOB, if you can get it done,do it. It sounds like the interest I had and even though I got ripped off by going to a dealer, happy with the results. Maybe check with local garages. As long as you know whats involved and amount of time, you could kinda lead them along.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:41 AM
What's a TL?

Originally posted by neuronbob
I'm looking for a shop in the Cleveland area, but both shops I know of that do such work are no longer doing springs (including the one that installed the springs on my prior TL, which shut down). I may not install the springs at all now because my only option here in town is to go to the dealer and spend more than I should.
Or I can travel. Anyone in Columbus, Toledo, Youngstown, or Detroit have any options?
There are so many different kinds of places that install springs...I cannot imagine that no one around you can do the work. Even tire places like Americas Tire Co. will install suspension...check around a bit for any sort of racing/rim shop, and I promise you will find someone to do it. Make sure to pay no more than $220 for springs and about $150-200 for install.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:32 PM
Instructor

40+ posts and not 1 pic.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:30 PM
Instructor

Is this thread dead?
Old 01-26-2004, 09:52 AM
What's a TL?

Originally posted by decky243
Is this thread dead?
Not yet!!! Man, I am only about a week short of install and I am equipped with the digi cam....so, hopefully it will still be around come picture taking time
Old 01-27-2004, 01:27 AM
iDrink

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by decky243
40+ posts and not 1 pic.
word. id also like to see some pics
Old 01-28-2004, 08:03 PM
Intermediate

where did you get the springs for $175. Website? phone number? I'm thinking about ordering a set.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:40 AM
Advanced

Talking

Hellow TLrs. I'm scheduled to have my springs installed tomorrow (Friday 1/30/04). Borrowing there's no speed bumps between now and then, I will make it a priority to post a pic over the weekend.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:46 AM
BOOK EM

FELLOWTRr, which springs,how much?
Old 01-29-2004, 10:23 AM
Advanced

I went with the Comptech springs. I purchased them on Comptech's Internet site.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:20 PM
R&D of Team Anthracite

Originally posted by Fellow TLr
I went with the Comptech springs. I purchased them on Comptech's Internet site.
if you look at acura-tl.com under suspension you can get them cheaper. =)
Old 01-29-2004, 09:11 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Whad ya mean, suspension?

Are you saying that they are listed under the "For Sale" items or under "Tires and Wheels"? There is no "suspension" catagory. Didn't see anything obvious in the other two. Since it's this site, how about a direct link?

Originally posted by 2k4TLkev
if you look at acura-tl.com under suspension you can get them cheaper. =)
Old 01-29-2004, 09:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Click on the word "Suspension" that's at the top of every web page on this site.

Mike
Old 01-30-2004, 11:11 AM
Cruisin'

To all with comptech springs installed. I assuming you all went and got an alignment and if so, what did the rear camber measure and was a camber kit recommended? Thanks.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:36 AM
What's a TL?

Originally posted by machete
To all with comptech springs installed. I assuming you all went and got an alignment and if so, what did the rear camber measure and was a camber kit recommended? Thanks.
I have the springs but have not had them installed, but I wanted to answer the camber kit question....there is not camber kit needed/recommended for this install. Even the Acura dealer told me that there was no need.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:08 PM
BOOK EM

I concur. Even after getting ripped off at the dealer!!!
Old 01-30-2004, 12:16 PM
What's a TL?

Hey Danno....any luck with pics?
Old 01-30-2004, 03:51 PM
BOOK EM

I`m waiting to paint the grill black, hopefully this weekend then show the finished product
Old 01-31-2004, 11:21 AM
Outta my way!!

Is anybody replacing their shocks along with the springs?
If yes, what type?
Old 01-31-2004, 12:07 PM
BOOK EM

I probably would if I was lowering more than 1". Being they are brand new, I left them alone. A set of Konis or Bilsteins in addition, would be the ultimate though.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:16 PM
R&D of Team Anthracite

anyone know if later on you can get the aspec shocks and spring combo only? i'm thinking bout getting the comptech but than its just the springs no shock..
Old 01-31-2004, 04:19 PM
BOOK EM

So Far its the whole package. Like I posted before, Konis or Bilsteins are top of the line
Old 02-15-2004, 05:56 PM
Advanced

Talking

OK TLrs. I have some new pics in my gallery of my 2004 TL droped with the Comptech Srings and my 19s back on. If you haven't viewed my gallery, select the link to the left. I look forwrd to you're replies.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:03 AM
Instructor

Will installing these void the factory warranty? I assume they would since installing almost anything aftermarket does? I don't want to have to switch them out anytime I need work done
Old 02-16-2004, 12:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 2k4TLkev
anyone know if later on you can get the aspec shocks and spring combo only? i'm thinking bout getting the comptech but than its just the springs no shock..
I called h-o-n-d-a-c-u-r-a-w-o-r-l-d.com today to inquire about an order I made. While I had them on the phone I asked about this specifically. He said they cannot sell the A-spec spring/shock combo by itself. You must purchase the entire A-spec kit to get them. The A-spec kit is available now for those of you who are interested in a DYI A-Spec kit. They want ~$4200 for the kit. I think it includes everything A-spec related except tires. Looks like I am going to have to get aftermarket springs and shocks. Before I do that I must check out some place called velocityresources.com. This was recommended to me by the guy on the phone as a possible place to get the A-spec springs and shocks by themselves. We'll see.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Spoke to the guys at velocityresource.com. No luck. They are aftermarket only But, they suggested Comptech for the spings and Koni for the shocks (the yellow adjustable ones). Unfortunately, Koni's for the 04TL are not available yet. Shouldn't be much longer though. Comptech's website has info on the yellow koni shocks for the 03TL Type-S.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:38 PM
Racer

Hey whiteTL, i stay in Sac and where did you get the springs at for $175.00?
Old 02-17-2004, 11:49 PM
Advanced

Hello TLers,
As you’re all aware, I had my 04 TL lowered using Comptech springs. Went to the Acura dealership for the four-wheel alignment. As you would expect, I was treated like gold. I was put in a loaner etc… Prior to the alignment, I put my stock wheels back on my car in anticipation of the service department not being able to accommodate my 19s.

Got my car back. The first thing I noticed was the steering wheel was not at the favorable 12 o’clock position. It was approximately at the 11:57 position. No big deal. However, when I put my 19s back on, I notice the car had a slight pull to the right. Not bad, just enough to require me to compensate to the left.

I told the service manager that took care of me. He’s set an appointment for me this Friday. He made a suggestion. He asked me to try rotating the front tires to the back. He’s thinking that I may have a bad tire. I told him I would try it. If it doesn’t take care of it, I will have the car checked by service department with the 19s on the car. He said their alignment machine would accommodate the 19s. Anyone else had a similar encounter?

I’ll keep you posted.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:46 AM
Racer

Fellow TLr, got to say nice ride. What size tire's did you go with and how much rougher is the ride?
I also had a problem with my stock tires. it took 3 trips to dealership and a meeting with the district service manager to finally have my bad tire replaced.They called it radial pull. Just keep bugging them and i guarantee it will be taken care of. They will tell you to go to a bridgestone dealer. I made up some story on how they(bridgestone) told me to go back to the dealer, because they can't do anything about it . The DSM got involved and next thing you now my tire was here.
The dealers out here in Sac. are not to cust. friendly. Not sure if it's because I don't fit the "Acura Driver" profile......LOL. Hope you have better luck.

Please keep me posted, Later
Old 02-18-2004, 03:34 PM
Advanced

The size of my tires are P235 35 ZR19s. If you’re asking if the ride is has changed because of the short side wall, the answer is ….. I feel the imperfections in the road that the stock tires and wheels useally absorb.

The Comptech springs lowered my TL approximately one inch. The ride has changed from a smooth stable "stock" ride, to a "sporty" more stable ride. Besides, the car looks way cooler this way. Am I happy? You bet. Would I recommend it? Yeeees!

Do you have any pics of your TL?
Old 02-18-2004, 04:36 PM
Drifting

Re: Comptech Springs Now Shipping!

Originally posted by snook789
Comptech Springs for the 2004's are now available.
Lowers the car 1" front and rear

For pricing/order, go to the Suspension page above.

AutoCarParts/Acura-TL is Comptech's #1 Vendor for 3 years running

Acura TL Suspension

As soon as more parts are available, they will be added, and I will post.
The OEM shocks won't be able to cope with the higher spring rates.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:38 PM
Drifting

Acura TL Suspension

The OEM shocks won't be able to cope with the higher spring rates. The car will be under-damped until someone introduces a decent set of shocks.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:42 PM
Drifting

Acura TL Suspension

Anyone who installs/uses them with the stock shocks is heading for trouble (and a lousy ride):

http://www.hstuners.com/news/wmview.php?ArtID=50
Old 02-18-2004, 09:42 PM
Advanced

Thumbs up

harddrivin1le,

I read the article you posted. Thank you. It made for some interesting reading. However, the Comptech springs lower the 04 TL one inch. That’s one inch! That’s no worse than having 3 passengers along for the ride. I believe if you lower the car 2 1/5 inches then you’re definitely risking dampening range and "stock" shock absorber failure.

I don’t know about any of you, but I don’t drive my new TL at the track. I cruise my baby. I’ve had several Hondas in the past ten years, and I never once have I had to replace a shock absorber.

It’s my opinion that this article is referring to the lightweight performance tuner that releases their machine on the track and underground racing. Marketing!
Old 02-19-2004, 07:18 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Fellow TLr
harddrivin1le,

I read the article you posted. Thank you. It made for some interesting reading. However, the Comptech springs lower the 04 TL one inch. That’s one inch! That’s no worse than having 3 passengers along for the ride. I believe if you lower the car 2 1/5 inches then you’re definitely risking dampening range and "stock" shock absorber failure.

I don’t know about any of you, but I don’t drive my new TL at the track. I cruise my baby. I’ve had several Hondas in the past ten years, and I never once have I had to replace a shock absorber.

It’s my opinion that this article is referring to the lightweight performance tuner that releases their machine on the track and underground racing. Marketing!
This topic has been covered time and time again in various suspension tuning books, etc. Springs and shocks work together; each must be tuned to match the characteristic of the other if they are to work properly.

The Comptech springs are significantly stiffer than the OEM springs; the stock shocks will be overworked, will run hotter and wear out much quicker with those springs. They also won't be able to properly dampen the stiffer springs; the stiffer springs will want to "over-run" the stock shocks. The harder you drive, the worse it will get.

You'd be better off with a set of Konis (once they come out with TL shocks) and the stock springs than you'd be be aftermarket springs and the stock shocks.

http://www.godspeedinc.com/suspension.html

"Keep in mind, however, that if your car is newer, the stock shocks will wear out quite a bit faster since they are trying to handle more load than they were designed to do...For most enthusiasts, springs are great for looks but simply put, will not increase your handling all that much and may cause some loss of performance in quick transitional cornering loads as the stock shocks can not handle those increased loads that the springs put on them. "

http://www.turnfast.com/tech_handlin...springs2.lasso

"Using Springs to Lower the Car

...Speaking of shocks, it is generally necessary to buy stiffer shocks at the same time you change the springs. Springs alone will lower the CG, and will reduce body roll, but neither is the primary function of the spring. For road imperfections, shocks work in conjunction with the spring, and are designed with each other's ratings in mind. Going over bumps, a stiff spring may resist the first compression well, but without sufficient shock capacity, the car will bounce more than it should afterwards which ultimately reduces the car's handling performance. Also, stiffer springs will prematurely fatigue stock shocks. They'll last a while, but will eventually get weaker and decrease the handling performance.

If you can only afford shocks or springs, either keep saving to get both, or start with the shocks. Performance shocks alone which provide firmer bump and rebound control, and greater control over weight transfer rate, will improve handing performance more than stiffer springs alone will."
Old 02-22-2004, 05:42 PM
Taistella Jokerit!

Hello everyone!
Great to find this thread, as I have been doing research on just this topic! In the process, found this board. A match made in heaven
Greg - who'd like to see some pic's of the TL's on Comptech springs

Quick Reply: Comptech Springs Now Shipping!