Stock TSX : when to replace shocks/struts

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 11:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Stock TSX : when to replace shocks/struts

My TSX is approaching 90k miles. It's 100% stock, no mods. I'm a somewhat aggressive driver. To give you an idea, brake pads changed around 35-40k, tires changed around 25-30k. Is it time for new suspension? If so, how much am I looking at from the Acura dealer and should I replace all 4?
Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
Christine Selzer (10-16-2015)
Old 08-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I was kind of wondering the same thing, just haven't gotten around to checking the manual yet.

I noticed a very loud metal creaking noise that caused some alarm a few weeks ago when I sat in the car to get my sunglasses out. It definitely came from the rear. Afterward, I could reproduce it by pushing down on the trunk area, but it wasn't nearly as loud as the first creak.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:24 AM
Intermediate

any idea, anyone?
Old 08-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
When my car was hit, causing damage to the strut, I asked the Honda Certified Repair Centre about this exact question. They said that all Honda shocks, especially newer models, are "lifetime" parts. They should never really need to be replaced unless they develop a significant leak (really rare). I had brought this up because I was lowered (Tein H-Tech's) but on stock struts, and they were getting bouncier.

Basically what it came down to was that for $275 CAD PER SHOCK, I was much better off buying a set of 4 Tokico "HP" (Blues) for $100 each and getting the $275 credit from the insurance company.

I confirmed the "lifetime part" statement with my Acura dealer, who as we all know are big on selling parts even if you don't need them.

If you really do need shocks replaced and this has been confirmed by a mechanic w/ the experience, or if you are lowered and on stock shocks (which will wear them out), then go with aftermarket shocks to save a lot of money and then just reuse the tophats from your OEM ones. The Tokico's, and many others, have lifetime warranties so if they ever do bite the dust, you can get it replaced for free (less labor charges of course).
Old 08-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
The struts dampen the car's vertical movements. Go to each corner of the car and push it down. The car should come to a stop after 3 or 4 bounces. If it keeps going, the strut needs to be replaced.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
At 90k your struts are definitely approaching the end of their lifetime. Again it depends on the driver and driving conditions but I think it's time for a refresh. TOKICO HP shocks are a good reasonable replacement shock that are a little firmer than stock shocks, which will help improve handling and also work well with a lowering spring if you choose to lower the vehicle.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
The struts dampen the car's vertical movements. Go to each corner of the car and push it down. The car should come to a stop after 3 or 4 bounces. If it keeps going, the strut needs to be replaced.
I'd probably go by the old adage that once you push down and let go, it should go back to its normal state without bouncing a second time. 3-4 bounces means your shocks are totally shot and have been for a LONG time already.
The following users liked this post:
WheelMcCoy (09-30-2021)
Old 08-28-2009, 02:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
What about an extremely loud metal creaking noise that comes from the rear suspension? Does this have anything to do with the shocks or struts? It only happened once about a month ago, but it was very loud and actually startled me. Happened when I sat down to get my sunglasses out of the holder.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by curls
I'd probably go by the old adage that once you push down and let go, it should go back to its normal state without bouncing a second time. 3-4 bounces means your shocks are totally shot and have been for a LONG time already.
Curls is 100% correct.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:19 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by mike the texan
My TSX is approaching 90k miles. It's 100% stock, no mods. I'm a somewhat aggressive driver. To give you an idea, brake pads changed around 35-40k, tires changed around 25-30k. Is it time for new suspension? If so, how much am I looking at from the Acura dealer and should I replace all 4?
Thanks.
you drive more agressive than me-still have the original brake pads, changed the tires at 74,000 miles and the suspension is still excellent (according to acura dealer) after almost 91,000 miles.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:31 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by curls
If you pushed it down, I doubt it would go straight back to its original position on its first attempt. It will probably pass it's normal position, go back down slightly below it's lower position, and then possibly return back to its normal position by then. Remember, OP has a stock suspension, not an aftermarket suspension (which quite a few people, including me, get to make the car stiffer).

And by each bounce, I don't mean it goes down each time. It bounces off the bottom, and then it bounces off the top. It's like throwing a ball against the walls of a narrow hall and watching it bounce left and right off each wall.

Then again, maybe you push down on the car softly. I push on the car really fast and hard as if it had hit a speed bump or something.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:30 AM
TSX

Originally Posted by Excelerate
At 90k your struts are definitely approaching the end of their lifetime. Again it depends on the driver and driving conditions but I think it's time for a refresh. TOKICO HP shocks are a good reasonable replacement shock that are a little firmer than stock shocks, which will help improve handling and also work well with a lowering spring if you choose to lower the vehicle.

I just purchased some Tokico's from Excelerate

Excellent service as usual!
Old 08-29-2009, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
If you pushed it down, I doubt it would go straight back to its original position on its first attempt. It will probably pass it's normal position, go back down slightly below it's lower position, and then possibly return back to its normal position by then. Remember, OP has a stock suspension, not an aftermarket suspension (which quite a few people, including me, get to make the car stiffer).

And by each bounce, I don't mean it goes down each time. It bounces off the bottom, and then it bounces off the top. It's like throwing a ball against the walls of a narrow hall and watching it bounce left and right off each wall.

Then again, maybe you push down on the car softly. I push on the car really fast and hard as if it had hit a speed bump or something.
I pump the car up/down a few times via the radiator support. I push hard and I'm 210 lbs - its getting pushed fast and with force.

My suspension BEFORE the aftermarket struts, and my wifes' OEM suspension on her Mazda, all come up to 'normal' position immediately after letting it go free. It might wobble slightly side-to-side or give a tiny tiny little dip back down, but its almost not noticeable.

Trust me I've been taught this way by my dad, my grandfather, and a mechanic, and only those that were truly blown would make a 2nd near-full bounce. This was confirmed by taking off the strut on that side and seeing a lot of its oil had been seeping out the backside that wasn't easily visible from the wheel-well.

That being said, OEM TSX shocks should be a lifetime item, and definitely not need replacing under 160,000 miles (minimum!) unless the driver does a TON or backroad driving and goes full bore over speedbumps.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Modding newbie

No shocks in the world are "lifetime" shocks. You're running a thick fluid through tube and valves. No matter what you do, it will eat away at both the tubes and valves reducing their effectiveness. At 90,000 miles your suspension is probably completely worn out. This is how you can tell. Go to your acura dealer and tell the sales rep that you want to trade up to a new one. If the new one test drives more comfortably than yours, your suspension is worn. If you don't want to go through all that to see, just push down on a corner. If it doesn't return to it's original position after "bouncing" off the top height, it's time for a replacement. It should go straight back to it's original position, but 90,000 I can gaurentee it won't.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:39 PM
Intermediate

Wow, nj2pa2nc, i have never heard of anyone around me who change their tires at 74k. 40k seems to be high already. You must really be babying that Tsx. Same for the brakes. Given the very high mileage of your 06, i assume you must be doing a lot of highway driving, which could explain tire and brake wear. My 90k are mostly city commute, but i also admit i drive my car hard sometime, otherwise why buy an Acura?
Old 08-31-2009, 05:35 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by mike the texan
Wow, nj2pa2nc, i have never heard of anyone around me who change their tires at 74k. 40k seems to be high already. You must really be babying that Tsx. Same for the brakes. Given the very high mileage of your 06, i assume you must be doing a lot of highway driving, which could explain tire and brake wear. My 90k are mostly city commute, but i also admit i drive my car hard sometime, otherwise why buy an Acura?
I do mostly highway driving. I have the tires rotated and balanced, check the tire pressure and do not race up to red lights. I do baby the car-hand wash it and it is garage kept. I love to drive it-very comfortable-Been on 3 cross country road trips. I also drive from NC to NJ (635 miles one way) and back every few weeks.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:05 AM
1st Gear

I have the same problem with my 2008 TSX Strut as per the Repair Shop... they said that I need to replace all of it for a $900+ is this a right amount for it? They will use KYB Struts.
I have noticed that my Tires wares unevenly.

Please advice.

thanks
Old 10-31-2014, 02:28 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I replaced all four struts with a-spec at 85,000 miles, after putting up with an increasingly floaty ride for months. I swapped out the dampers with Koni Yellows at 160,000 miles. [I went with the Konis after the US Acura dealer I ordered the a-spec units from said it found that dealing with Canadians was not cost effective, and since I didn't want to pay $1,800 for complete replacements from my Canadian Acura dealer, and since Acura doesn't sell the dampers alone. I also bought some Moog endlinks, and saved myself a couple of hundred dollars, vs the Acura parts...live, read, and learn.]

The Konis improved control when going left and right, but I was still having problems putting power to the ground. The dealer replaced both front compliance bushings (my 2nd and 3rd), and things are good again.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:48 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I should mention that turn-in and ride quality improved dramatically after the compliance bushings were replaced. if you're thinking of replacing dampers, don't forget to look at what else is down there.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:24 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How complex is replacing the struts as a DIY job?
Old 08-30-2015, 09:28 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,166 Likes on 877 Posts
Originally Posted by bradykp
How complex is replacing the struts as a DIY job?
More complex than making your own thread :P

Its really not complex. The hard part is compressing the front springs far enough to get the shock on. I would NOT do it with rentable mechanical spring compressors from an auto parts store. I use a floor mounted hydraulic compressor. It was a bit tricky. Unless you have the type that allows you to push down on the actual top hat. Then its easy.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:23 PM
10th Gear

Suspension advice?? 05 TSX, 147k miles

Hello. I am not a mechanic and am really just trying to get some honest advice. I have a 2005 TSX with ~147k miles and stock suspension. Recently (maybe 6 months ago) had bushings on left side fixed by Acura. Started hearing a new noise, different from before, on the left and mostly when I turned the wheel sharply as in when I was backing out of a parking spot. I can kinda feel the rubbing also in the steering wheel.

Took it to a family mechanic and he said it was my wheel bearings. He also said that I would most likely need to replace the front struts when he got in there because of the mileage (according to his experience, he hadn't looked at them yet). He wants to charge me $2000 for all of this. So 3 new wheel bearings (left, right, and the one in the middle of the right axle) and suspension in the front.

Is this reasonable pricing? I am considering selling the car as the miles are really high and im not sure if fixing this is a guarantee of anything.

THANKS! -Christine
Old 10-19-2015, 01:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,166 Likes on 877 Posts
Originally Posted by Christine Selzer
Hello. I am not a mechanic and am really just trying to get some honest advice. I have a 2005 TSX with ~147k miles and stock suspension. Recently (maybe 6 months ago) had bushings on left side fixed by Acura. Started hearing a new noise, different from before, on the left and mostly when I turned the wheel sharply as in when I was backing out of a parking spot. I can kinda feel the rubbing also in the steering wheel.

Took it to a family mechanic and he said it was my wheel bearings. He also said that I would most likely need to replace the front struts when he got in there because of the mileage (according to his experience, he hadn't looked at them yet). He wants to charge me $2000 for all of this. So 3 new wheel bearings (left, right, and the one in the middle of the right axle) and suspension in the front.

Is this reasonable pricing? I am considering selling the car as the miles are really high and im not sure if fixing this is a guarantee of anything.

THANKS! -Christine
You should try and get a breakdown of cost from your mechanic. If the car does need the parts you have mentioned, parts branding is very important. You're not going to find a car that has original bearings and ball joints and shocks at 150k miles....unless its a Honda.

Reason being that the original parts are of extremely high quality and are spec'd out to be more heavy duty than they need be.

Replacing all 4 wheel bearings is a better idea than 3. Shocks may or may not need replacing at your mileage.

If you do decide to change to aftermarket (non Honda) parts, Timken makes good bearings. SKF or NTN is another good manufacturer. Rockauto.com is a good place to shop.

For shocks.....I'd buy Honda/Acura genuine replacements or Bilstein HD. But don't buy Monroe or similar "OE style" shocks.