Tein Flex Z Release : Brought by Heeltoe

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 09:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Tein Flex Z Release : Brought by Heeltoe

Hi folks, we recently received an announcement from Tein regarding the Felx Z. Read all about it!

Originally Posted by heeltoeauto.com
Yes, a full-length adjustable coil-over damper kit from Tein that retails for $800 (starting)! Many of you are probably wondering...who/what/how!?!? Heeltoe is here to give you the beans.

First off, this is a fully adjustable damper kit offering both height and 16-levels of damping adjustment (with exclusive Tein EDFC II and EDFC Active compatibility). This is also a full-length adjustable system meaning you can adjust the spring perch height (preload) and damper length (vehicle height) independently. This feature offers the following benefits:

Allows you to lower the car without reducing suspension travel, maintaining great ride and handling traits.
Allows adding preload to the springs to firm the compression for higher performance use or reduced wheel-travel, but maintaining ride height.
Allows for fine-tuning of corner-weight bias for balancing the handling of the vehicle.
All the above features are becoming more commonplace in the coilover market. Many damper kit brands are offering full length construction because it allows for a less costly manufacturing process since dampers are made all the same, but different mounting parts are used to install them (upper mounts and lower brackets). With THIS Tein offering you are getting the full length kit with Tein's brand and quality backing it at a price point really hard to compete with from other brands.

Speaking of which, yes, Tein FLEX Z kits will include upper mounts. The mounts offered will be made from steel and supplied with rubber bushings (as opposed to sphericals, which is common at this price point). Rubber bushings will offer a little more road isolation than bearing will, and most street drivers do prefer this feature. Upper mounts with camber adjustment will be featured on strut-type vehicles only (not on shock-equipped cars, as this feature is not possible).The kits will come pre-assembled for easy installation*

The kit is also constructed with twin-tube dampers which provide a smooth ride and reliability. It is true that mono-tube dampers can provide improved road feedback, however mono-tubes are harder to produce for long-term reliability on the street.

So, all the above makes this kit sound a lot like a Street Flex kit, doesn't it? Well, yes, except the FLEX Z is made with a sealed damper that is not available for overhaul.

That is really it. You can rebuild the damper tube on a Tein Street Flex, but not on the Flex Z. Most people prefer to buy replacement damper tubes these days to avoid the downtime that can come with having an overhaul done. A Flex Z kit can be completely torn down and re-assembled** with a new damper tube if it should be needed.

Also, if you are replacing dampers it is possible to change to different-than-standard dampers to retune the kit to your liking.

Pricing and application details are coming soon!

*We've heard many customers refer to this sort of kit as a "one-piece" coilover. The term "one-piece" is fairly misleading since the kit is actually a lot of pieces put together into one kit. The assembly is done for you, though and there is generally "one-piece" to install per corner of the car. Let's not get the terms mixed up though. This kit is a pre-assembled, full-length damper kit with upper mount...not a "one-piece coilover."

**Other coilover manufacturers have begun to use the term "rebuildable" when talking about their damper kits. We've come to learn they are speaking about re-assambling coilover assemblies with new damper tubes. This is not what is traditionally referred to as "rebuildable" wherein the damper is actually taken apart, seals replaced, valves changed out, and gas recharged. Tein calls this service "overhauling." The ability to make a damper able to be taken apart and rebuilt/overhauled adds cost and complexity. But be aware that if other manufacturers claim their kits are "rebuildable" they may only be talking about re-assembling with new dampers...not rebuilding the existing ones.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:10 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone installed these on a TSX yet and done a review? I am curious to how these would stack up to some other comparable options like K Sports.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,165 Likes on 876 Posts
Originally Posted by HookEM_TSX
Has anyone installed these on a TSX yet and done a review? I am curious to how these would stack up to some other comparable options like K Sports.
Teins are comparable to K sports? Not....really....

I have street Advance coils on my TSX and I'm extremely happy with them. The car is a blast to drive, but rides better than stock. The Flex Z is a slightly more "sporty" system compared to the SA. A friend has street flexes on his civic and he says that he's very happy with them.

Tein's street setups weren't so great in the past. The quality was there, but the ride engineering was "meh".

Their new street stuff, however, is really impressive. Both in terms of quality, longevity, and usefulness of features, as well as ride quality and engineering.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:33 PM
Former Sponsor

The only thing lower cost on these kits is the labor made to make them, and the dampers cannot be taken apart. Otherwise, these are made with the same green-blooded technology and commitment to quality Tein is known for!

Roland, not sure what street setups you are referring that weren't so great...they've always been a good option, but it also depends on what application we are talking about (as in which car).
Old 09-13-2015, 09:37 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,165 Likes on 876 Posts
Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
Roland, not sure what street setups you are referring that weren't so great...they've always been a good option, but it also depends on what application we are talking about (as in which car).
I had the original Type Flex on my S13 like 10-11 years ago.

And I had SS's on my EM1 a couple years back.

Also RE's on a GSR (I know these aren't street coilovers...I'm just including them to demonstrate that I've tried varieties of Tein setups).

They weren't all that impressive. The steps they've taken to improve their product line are noticeable. The two most important ones are the adjustability of valving "levels", the valve settings. The delrin spring washer is another big improvement. Using a seperate sleeve is nice because the whole coil body can be powder coated and the sleeve can be replaced if it rusts too badly.

I have SA's on my TSX. I installed SA's on a buddy's 4G TL-SH AWD WTF OMG BBQ, and SB's on my friend's EP3. All of them are leaps forward for a street suspension compared to SS's. None of them can be taken seriously at a track. They're meant for the street. This is great, because a $600-800 coilover is usually good if it is focused on doing ONE thing well.

My friend has used his Street Flex for the track on his DD civic. I haven't ridden on them yet. He says they're very smooth.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Great feedback!

I will say that the Street Flex is the same basic cartridge as an SA or a SB with a little firmer spring and valving to match. I've tracked the car a few times with this setup and it does not fail to impress. I am not sure how much better it is than an SA, but I would guess it could not be much.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:36 AM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just ordered a set of these from HeelToe!

Should be installing them by next weekend. Can't wait
The following users liked this post:
MrHeeltoe (10-23-2015)