3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What cars are people getting into after their TL?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 10:49 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Supposedly, you're better off having a car you can drive at 100 than one you have to temper yourself in and drive at 60...

percent, that is.

I just went to Ford to build a GT Premium...fuck, at the end, it costs as much as the used CTS-V I've been wanting to fuck on for a long while now. And then I pictured having to give up my TL or the S2000 and I almost started crying. Must resist the urge to owe money for moar power.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:52 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mtiaz
I like the BRZ cause of its driving dynamics & "responsible" amount of power to really push the vehicle constantly

I don't really like newer Nissan products. If I were to ever go Nissan again, I'd probably go 350Z or another Maxima with a manual
Love the BRZ, it's a great car. I just can't live with the 2.0 boxer engine, I would never be able to adjust to the 70hp difference between the TL and the BRZ.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Supposedly, you're better off having a car you can drive at 100 than one you have to temper yourself in and drive at 60...

percent, that is.

I just went to Ford to build a GT Premium...fuck, at the end, it costs as much as the used CTS-V I've been wanting to fuck on for a long while now. And then I pictured having to give up my TL or the S2000 and I almost started crying. Must resist the urge to owe money for moar power.
Lol just stick with the TL and s2000 for awhile, you put so much time and money into both of them. If I were you I would wait till there is no other way out of the situation then say goodbye to them.

Or you could just trade cars with me!!!!
Old 12-15-2015, 06:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
Originally Posted by maxxyboy97
Love the BRZ, it's a great car. I just can't live with the 2.0 boxer engine, I would never be able to adjust to the 70hp difference between the TL and the BRZ.
You got to realize the BRZ is a much smaller car that weighs 800llbs less.

Horsepower isn't everything.

Hell a stock BRZ/FRS runs a 1/4 mile in about the same time as a stock 5at TL. Maybe slightly quicker than the TL.

Traps about the same too..

That car is a zippy little sporty drivers car whereas the TL is just a luxury cruiser that handles like a yacht in comparison.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:08 PM
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
Yup. I remember most fun I've ever experienced in any car was an NB turbocharged Miata putting down about 230hp & it just plastered a smile on my face

I've personally driven 991/997 911's, R8's, an F30 M3 (granted I wasn't pushing to the limit as the driver in the miata was) but the Miata was just sublime to be in. Plus the guy driving it was amazing behind the wheel

Last edited by mtiaz; 12-15-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts

Hell a stock BRZ/FRS runs a 1/4 mile in about the same time as a stock 5at TL. Maybe slightly quicker than the TL.

That car is a zippy little sporty drivers car whereas the TL is just a luxury cruiser that handles like a yacht in comparison.
Yeah, they have a very close power to weight ratio, but stock to stock, I'd put my money on the BRZ (with a good driver). It might be down 58 horse, but it's also down 830 lbs from the TL 5AT, and the 6 speed gives it the edge. Although I'm still not a fan of the Boxer sound.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:49 PM
Banned

I understand that totally, but without as much hp or torque doesn't it feel different than the TL accelerating?

Lol not really talking about track times just saying accelerating around the city. I don't think too many people buy cars and just test them out on the track or drag on acurazine. Could be wrong though.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:31 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by maxxyboy97
I understand that totally, but without as much hp or torque doesn't it feel different than the TL accelerating?

Lol not really talking about track times just saying accelerating around the city. I don't think too many people buy cars and just test them out on the track or drag on acurazine. Could be wrong though.
A car that weighs 2800 lbs with 200hp is going to feel very zippy in city stop and go traffic. Even highway driving weaving in and out of traffic the FRS is going to feel much better.

It has significantly less weight so it doesn't need as much power as the TL to get up and going.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:43 AM
Pro

but those engines really need/liked to be revved out unlike the TL where you can sorta use the low-end torque to zip through
Old 12-16-2015, 12:07 PM
Safety Car

Think of a bicycle. Try riding a bicycle with 150 lbs of weight attached to it + your weight. Just to get it moving from a stop will be work. Trying to accelerate to go faster while cruising at a steady speed won't be any easier. Try weaving in and out of cones lol.

Now think of the exact same bicycle that is only 5 lbs + your weight. Moving from a complete stop isn't a problem. Accelerating while at a steady speed will be easier in comparison to the heavier bicycle. Moving in and out of cones will be easier too.

I don't know if that's a good analogy but that's the only thing i can think of
Old 12-16-2015, 12:09 PM
Safety Car

but those engines really need/liked to be revved out unlike the TL where you can sorta use the low-end torque to zip through
My 5at base model TL doesn't have low end torque lol.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:16 PM
Pro

My 5at base model TL doesn't have low end torque lol.
Idk I can usually leave my car in 6th from 65km/h and still zip up to 130km/h no problem, lots of grunt
Old 12-16-2015, 12:55 PM
Suzuka Master

It's all relative. I would never describe the TL as a torquey car, but it's slightly better than a Civic I guess. The TL still needs to be wrung out hard to really move, as opposed to say a 335i that just needs the gas pedal tapped to move at lower speeds.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:58 PM
Pro

It's not a torquey car, but it is relatively speaking to the BRZ. Still feel that the TL-S pulls nicely though
Old 12-16-2015, 02:07 PM
Safety Car

Idk I can usually leave my car in 6th from 65km/h and still zip up to 130km/h no problem, lots of grunt
You have a manual. I was referring to automatics lol.

No doubt the manuals have much more torque at any given rpm compared to the tragicmatic TL
Old 12-16-2015, 03:52 PM
Banned

Think of a bicycle. Try riding a bicycle with 150 lbs of weight attached to it + your weight. Just to get it moving from a stop will be work. Trying to accelerate to go faster while cruising at a steady speed won't be any easier. Try weaving in and out of cones lol.

Now think of the exact same bicycle that is only 5 lbs + your weight. Moving from a complete stop isn't a problem. Accelerating while at a steady speed will be easier in comparison to the heavier bicycle. Moving in and out of cones will be easier too.

I don't know if that's a good analogy but that's the only thing i can think of
Haha not a bad analogy I get it now. Either way was looking forward to maybe dropping 15-20k on a BRZ in 5-8 years when the price comes down a bit.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts

percent, that is.

You know, I just had a random thought cross my mind...

You're interested in moar power, but you don't want to give up the TL and s2000 and you don't want to be strapped to making payments, sooooo....

Why don't you SC the TL? I mean, it won't be putting down 400hp, but it's a decent jump in hp and torque. Plus, you already have the exhaust goods to make it more efficient. Not only will it remain reliable, but you still get to keep the 4 door goodness, you don't get trapped making payments for X number of years, and best of all, you get to hold on to your baby.

I mean, there are used SC kits floating around AZ. I'm sure you could get a kit and maybe some supporting goodies or tune all in for 4k. Hell of a lot better than 40k in payments. Just seems like a rational compromise

I dunno. Just a thought.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:23 PM
Safety Car

Arent the gains with the comptech supercharger embarrassingly low like 50whp?

A supercharger kit for the G37 will take you from 270whp to about 410whp.

But it costs about $6500 which doesn't include labor and all other necessary supporting mods. You'll easily be $10k invested when everything is all done.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts

But it costs about $6500 which doesn't include labor and all other necessary supporting mods. You'll easily be $10k invested when everything is all done.
6500 for the G37 SC kit?

Yeah not sure if it's good idea to SC or Turbo....seems like once you really try to output some power things may start to break. Not sure how reliable SCs are but I would imagine the gains aren't very good...
Old 12-16-2015, 08:14 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by nist7
6500 for the G37 SC kit?

Yeah not sure if it's good idea to SC or Turbo....seems like once you really try to output some power things may start to break. Not sure how reliable SCs are but I would imagine the gains aren't very good...

https://www.stillen.com/catalog/prod...category/1376/
Old 12-16-2015, 09:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Properly tuned, the Comptech should show around 65-70 whp on a 6MT. Not bad if you can find a good used one for 3k, then get a boost and a/f gauge ~300, water/meth kit ~500 and then an etune for less than 200. Install is pretty strsightforward for a decent weekend mechanic, so that's just time. So 4k total, assuming Flashpro is already in place.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:52 PM
Scotch

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts
I came across this thread while in the midst of my search for a new TL after mine was totaled (see second link in OP). I'm still depressed and can't find anything close to the car I had for the price. I've looked at a few later model TLs including a pretty nice 2012 but can't justify spending an extra $10K for basically the same driving experience.
I just want my perfectly cared for 06 white car back.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:08 AM

Adam, the thought has crossed my mind many times...but in the end, I think the S2000 would be the proper platform to boost.

And then, I remember that at $4000 I'll never see back (resale will be shit)...it'll lightly scratch an itch and probably make me regret spending the money and also not put me in my seat like I dreamt about the entire time I was waiting for it to be installed.

I don't kid myself...aftermarket FI and the headaches and cost are not in my future. If I want something faster I'll go big displacement or Factory FI that allows easy tune options.

Other than that, I just keep remembering how fast my accord felt after my civic...and how fast the RSX felt after my EP3...and how fast the TL felt after the RSX...

and then I remember that to be happy, you need to choose how you feel and I just realize that although in today's day and age neither of my cars are impressive on paper, they both drive amazingly well and have more usable power than I actually need for my daily commute and even my fuckery.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:57 AM
Pro

Adam, the thought has crossed my mind many times...but in the end, I think the S2000 would be the proper platform to boost.

And then, I remember that at $4000 I'll never see back (resale will be shit)...it'll lightly scratch an itch and probably make me regret spending the money and also not put me in my seat like I dreamt about the entire time I was waiting for it to be installed.

I don't kid myself...aftermarket FI and the headaches and cost are not in my future. If I want something faster I'll go big displacement or Factory FI that allows easy tune options.

Other than that, I just keep remembering how fast my accord felt after my civic...and how fast the RSX felt after my EP3...and how fast the TL felt after the RSX...

and then I remember that to be happy, you need to choose how you feel and I just realize that although in today's day and age neither of my cars are impressive on paper, they both drive amazingly well and have more usable power than I actually need for my daily commute and even my fuckery.
preach brotha!
The following users liked this post:
rockstar143 (12-18-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 02:23 PM
Confusing Name Guy

Received 299 Likes on 249 Posts
The Comptech charger with HBP and meth can see about 380 whp on a 6MT with a tune (see MAS's TL). Decent power with the only issue being cooling / high charge temps. All depends on how much you get the kit for - I.e, whoever picked up Noober's for like 3000$ Canadian back when he was selling it got one hell of a deal. The other nice thing with the charger (if properly tuned at least, not with the POS management Comptech provides) is boost everywhere.

Also maybe its just me, but I think the TL, even in 5AT, has plenty of low end torque for zipping around town, at least with my current setup of jpipe, exhaust and CAI. Pulley / pre cats will likely make this issue completely moot. And part of the fun of the J series to me is being able to wind it out

Last edited by N1h1l1ty; 12-18-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:20 PM

Yeah, well...
Marco's path of charging it, then selling it within a year or 2 proves my point. He got annoyed with me, but he ended up going the same path. I told him that I couldn't figure out if it was because it disappointed people, or because after a power adder, they felt like there was nothing else to do...but I told him that I'd noticed that most people that ended up going FI...sold the car within 6 months after that.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:39 PM
Confusing Name Guy

Received 299 Likes on 249 Posts
Yeah, well...
Marco's path of charging it, then selling it within a year or 2 proves my point. He got annoyed with me, but he ended up going the same path. I told him that I couldn't figure out if it was because it disappointed people, or because after a power adder, they felt like there was nothing else to do...but I told him that I'd noticed that most people that ended up going FI...sold the car within 6 months after that.
I think a lot of the people going FI, at least the SC route on here move on to ... well, not really performance oriented platforms. MAS, Noober etc. And the people that want to turbo do so to other platforms that are more budget friendly when it comes to making power, are RWD, etc.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
I replaced my wife's 07 TSX with '15 TLX v6 AWD and I regret it. The car is cheaply made, and powertrain leaves a lot to be desired - our car vibrates on the highway, the 9 speed tranny is garbage compared to a reputable 6 or 8 speed auto.

my 06 TL is due for replacement, but I will definitely not replace it with another Acura. The '15 TLX left such a bad taste in my mouth, that I am willing to all together skip Honda which is shame after owning honda products for almost 20 years.

My next car will probably be a 2-3 years old BMW 3/4 series as they still seem to "get it" when it comes to driving characteristics etc. After fiddling with all the new technology in our '15 TLX, I definitely cooled off and honestly do not give a s... about any of the new gadgets - it seems I value the driving characteristic and enjoyment over all the extra non-sense they put into the today's cars, so I think a stripper BMW with sport package is what I will look for.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:42 PM

Why is it due for replacement?
Old 12-19-2015, 12:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
because someone has a policy of not owning any car that older than certain time, like 3-5-10 years.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
Why is it due for replacement?
No particular reason, but i purchased my TL brand new and after 10 years of ownership, i am looking for something more exciting to drive.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:56 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone considered/driven the Regal GS? Seems like a good replacement option on paper... 6MT, Navi, stock Brembos and similar HP with greater tuning potential. Prices are pretty reasonable as well considering the car is only a few years old.
Attached Thumbnails What cars are people getting into after their TL?-regal.jpg  
Old 12-20-2015, 03:01 PM
Team Owner

I actually like the Regal GS. It seems like it would be a fun car to drive.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:14 PM

Received 9,495 Likes on 6,167 Posts
It sounds promising but other than the Recaro seats, the interior is horrible. Typical hard and gray GM plastic everywhere
Old 12-20-2015, 03:42 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts

An SS though..
I mean.. it's ugly AF, looks like a Malibu, but other than that..
Old 12-20-2015, 03:54 PM

Received 9,495 Likes on 6,167 Posts
Dat V8.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:19 PM
Pro

I've heard of those Regal GS' having lots of issues with timing chains, big no-no in my book.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:55 PM

How about a CTS-V?
Old 12-20-2015, 06:00 PM
Team Owner

Overpriced American junk

Joking!
Old 12-20-2015, 06:08 PM
Pro

Odyssey Touring model would be pretty sweet

Quick Reply: What cars are people getting into after their TL?