3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I paid $6,000 for a Transmission Swap from Paul. Here’s my story (NOT a happy ending)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 06:31 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by NVA-AV6
My side for what it is worth.....

The clutch was definitely a new part and was infact my shelf stock part as I usually keep one on hand along with a release bearing. I would not be surprised if Luke's lack of stick driving experience has not lead to the early demise of the clutch. It took him 4 tries to even leave my house without stalling the car.
There are so many different issues with the three statements that NVA-AV6 has said thus far but this one strikes me as ridiculous. Regardless if Luke could or could not drive stick. It should not have "lead to an early demise" with only 1500 miles on it. I personally have never driven a manual car until December of 2013. I purchased a 99 Honda Accord with an automatic transmission. I read and researched how to swap in a manual transmission and completed the task. By myself with no help. That first month or two I could smell the clutch burn every single day until I got to the point I'm at now where there isn't an issue. That being said....it's the original clutch I put in and my wife still drives it with no issue. We are also teaching our oldest to drive manual. So after 1500 miles that clutch hasn't met it's demise unless it's old. I'm not here to knock NVA-AV6 as I've read some of his work and he seems to do good work. Just the way it was handled and the way he is speaking of Luke in this quote is not professional.
The following users liked this post:
you8myrice (10-07-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 06:34 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by NVA-AV6
The issue here is the OP, last I had heard from him he was going to take it to a local shop to get it repaired so I was waiting for the shops quote to work with. In my phone dealings I would ask him "what do you want to do?", IE how do you want to deal with the repairs that were needed, instead of giving a response that could be worked with he would just continue to complain (like my soon to be ex wife) without working towards a real solution.
Again this isn't how business should be handled. I would be complaining too if I couldn't get in contact with you unless I change my phone number. On top of that he wouldn't be contacting you if he did not want to correct the situation.
1fstTL (10-08-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 07:08 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by kocyk123
That is all I would say about that situation ^. And come on, is it really so expensive to wash the car off this whole shit it got on it? That is really disrespectful man...
Shows this "highly praised" mechanics attitude of not giving a single sh!t about his customers. Hope people stay away from him after seeing this
The following 2 users liked this post by CaliBud916:
1fstTL (10-08-2014), Undying Dreams (10-08-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 07:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by coopcoop30
There are so many different issues with the three statements that NVA-AV6 has said thus far but this one strikes me as ridiculous. Regardless if Luke could or could not drive stick. It should not have "lead to an early demise" with only 1500 miles on it. I personally have never driven a manual car until December of 2013. I purchased a 99 Honda Accord with an automatic transmission. I read and researched how to swap in a manual transmission and completed the task. By myself with no help. That first month or two I could smell the clutch burn every single day until I got to the point I'm at now where there isn't an issue. That being said....it's the original clutch I put in and my wife still drives it with no issue. We are also teaching our oldest to drive manual. So after 1500 miles that clutch hasn't met it's demise unless it's old. I'm not here to knock NVA-AV6 as I've read some of his work and he seems to do good work. Just the way it was handled and the way he is speaking of Luke in this quote is not professional.
I'm not taking sides here and you don't list if you have a 5AT or 6MT, but my experience is that the 6MT factory clutch is one of the hardest I have ever tried to engage perfectly. From the start from standstill to spirited shifts, it's like no other manual I have ever driven. If it's abused for 1500 miles, it would easily be trashed.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
Sorry about your car, Frosty. That's rough. IDK about you guys, but that car was driven after everything was put together. There's no way there'd be that much mud/dirt on the sides of the car and aspec wheels just from sitting outside in the rain. I've driven a car on wet/muddy dirt roads before and and it looked the same way.

EDIT: After going back and looking at the pics again, the car had been drove. If it was just sitting in the yard, then why are the tires muddy? There shouldn't been any mud on the tires, especially at the top. The entire tire tread(s) are coated in mud. Plus if you look at another pic you can see where mud was slung up and outwards across the door/fender. As for the scrape on the Aspec lip, it definitely wasn't there when it left, Frosty's house (refer to pics). Maybe the tow truck guy damaged it unloading it, OR maybe Paul backed into something.

ALSO the car left OP's house extremely clean.
I don't know about you but after completing a service for a customer it only makes sense to take it out for a short test drive to verify the work.

It could have been raining or rained already when he was test driving it. The mud you see is probably from driving it out and in to his yard where the car was parked.

I agree it could have been washed prior to returning it to the customer whether it was a drive thru car wash or self service wash.
The following 2 users liked this post by vietxquangstah:
Acura-OC (10-07-2014), Acura_Dude (10-07-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 07:55 PM
JJH
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 254 Posts
Paul installed a ticking time bomb into Luke's car.

Is there really anything else that needs to be said?
Old 10-07-2014, 08:24 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
If the work was done properly and he still did not "wash the car" would you really be complaining. That's just being nit picky. I agree too it looks like it is spash from a parking lot at low speed with all the large splatter. If it was my car I wouldn't care if it was washed. I'd wash it either way when I got home. I'd just want the stuff I couldn't do myself to be done properly.

However it does help exemplify the care taken on the vehicle.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Wow, wow, wow.....
Old 10-07-2014, 08:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
Sorry about your car, Frosty. That's rough. IDK about you guys, but that car was driven after everything was put together. There's no way there'd be that much mud/dirt on the sides of the car and aspec wheels just from sitting outside in the rain. I've driven a car on wet/muddy dirt roads before and and it looked the same way.

EDIT: After going back and looking at the pics again, the car had been drove. If it was just sitting in the yard, then why are the tires muddy? There shouldn't been any mud on the tires, especially at the top. The entire tire tread(s) are coated in mud. Plus if you look at another pic you can see where mud was slung up and outwards across the door/fender. As for the scrape on the Aspec lip, it definitely wasn't there when it left, Frosty's house (refer to pics). Maybe the tow truck guy damaged it unloading it, OR maybe Paul backed into something.

ALSO the car left OP's house extremely clean.
I would certainly hope someone who did a transmission swap drove the car to make sure it was running properly, before sending the owner off on a several hundred mile voyage home. The issue isn't that it was driven, but that it was driven and not cleaned.
The following 2 users liked this post by anx1300c:
NBP04TL4ME (10-08-2014), vietxquangstah (10-07-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 08:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by coopcoop30
I won't comment on the rest but this post is absolutely not true. You can easily trash a clutch in under 1 mile. All it takes is to glaze it in one botched hard launch. All it takes is to take off in the wrong gear. All it takes is continued "spirited" driving while not knowing how to rev match the downshifts, slipping the clutch on take off and between gears, to overheat the clutch. I think the OP mentioned a particularly spirited night.

I've personally destroyed an almost new clutch in 30 seconds when I decided to take it to the junkyard, I've written about it in the past. I've also worn a brand new set of tires down to the threads in about 1 minute. These things aren't normal but they're not hard to do either.

On the flip side, maybe the clutch got contaminated by one of the oil leaks (I admittedly skimmed through a lot of the thread).
azeezp13 (10-10-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 09:07 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
I don't know about you but after completing a service for a customer it only makes sense to take it out for a short test drive to verify the work.

It could have been raining or rained already when he was test driving it. The mud you see is probably from driving it out and in to his yard where the car was parked.

I agree it could have been washed prior to returning it to the customer whether it was a drive thru car wash or self service wash.
That was my point. But we also don't know how the car was driven either when it was in the hands of said mechanic.

Originally Posted by CL-S progression 01
If the work was done properly and he still did not "wash the car" would you really be complaining. That's just being nit picky. I agree too it looks like it is spash from a parking lot at low speed with all the large splatter. If it was my car I wouldn't care if it was washed. I'd wash it either way when I got home. I'd just want the stuff I couldn't do myself to be done properly.

However it does help exemplify the care taken on the vehicle.
I would, because that car was filthy. If I left my car with someone, I'd expect it to come back in the same condition as I left it. I'm not saying it has to be "lickable" clean, but at least spray the dirt/mud off it. That doesn't take more than a few seconds. I go to a locally owned garage close by where you can get all kind of work done to your car. It's crazy how they keep the inside of your car clean, yet they're covered in grease. If there's a mistake they go out of their way to make it right. I'm not one to turn a wrench UNLESS I have to, plus I don't have the time to get under a car and change the oil. Simple task, just not something I enjoy to do.

Originally Posted by anx1300c
I would certainly hope someone who did a transmission swap drove the car to make sure it was running properly, before sending the owner off on a several hundred mile voyage home. The issue isn't that it was driven, but that it was driven and not cleaned.
My point exactly. Obviously Paul needed to drive it to make sure everything was working properly.

Last edited by Acura_Dude; 10-07-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:22 PM
David_Dude

Go back and look at the picture of the hood. How does one get mud/dirt on the hood?? It rains a lot here and for someone to get mud on the car car like that, you'll have to be driving a decent speed, not on asphalt, AND making a turn. Mud/dirt doesn't just sling up on a car without some type of spirited driving. I'm still saying there was no point in OP's car being that dirty. Seriously. I don't know one person on this forum that'll let me get their TL dirty like that without them knowing first hand.

Last edited by Acura_Dude; 10-07-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:25 PM
Bird is the Word

Received 975 Likes on 632 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about this. I can tell from your personal thread that you put a lot of time and effort into your car. I hope this ends up with a positive outcome...
Old 10-07-2014, 10:20 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Im on the train that says ATF/coolant ruined your clutch. Sorry to seed this happen but live and learn i guess.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:22 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Shotgun
This is one of the most interesting and disturbing reads I've encountered in Acurazine. A very well documented case which warrants legal action!

As a side note, this brings home my peculiar personal, lifetime experience, that every craftsman that I've dealt with named "Paul", has proven to be incompetent or a charlatan...Sorry "Paul's" of the world, I don't mean to indict you all but I've been damn unlucky with your namesakes
lol!! i've had bad luck with a paul too! he destroyed my TL (long story).
Old 10-07-2014, 10:27 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by hondeducation
lol!! i've had bad luck with a paul too! he destroyed my TL (long story).
destroyed your tl?

we have time to hear the story.
The following 15 users liked this post by guitarplayer16:
04WDPSeDaN (10-08-2014), 1fstTL (10-08-2014), Acura-OC (10-07-2014), Acura_Dude (10-07-2014), Corey_Straker (10-07-2014), crazyasiantl (10-08-2014), DementiaPhuro (10-08-2014), ggesq (10-08-2014), hadokenuh (10-08-2014), michaelap95 (10-07-2014), rockyfeller (10-15-2014), Spectra Phantom (10-08-2014), Undying Dreams (10-08-2014), Vlad_Type_S (10-07-2014), you8myrice (10-07-2014) and 10 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-07-2014, 11:02 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If my car was fixed perfectly, hence perfectly, i wouldn't care about how dirty the car would of gotten. I guess he is just exemplifying his work by his attitude in leaving the car dirty.

Whatever his name is, the mechanic obviously did something shady since he stopped replying to you. Hopefully when people search his name on google, your post will show up first. And with his argument stating it took you six tries to get out of the driveway; how does thst correlate to the leaking fluids? I would dispute those charges on Paypal, you might get your account limited, but i'd dispute it. His account will automatically go negative in the investigation. I'm not saying you will win, but it's a shot.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:03 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
I won't comment on the rest but this post is absolutely not true. You can easily trash a clutch in under 1 mile. All it takes is to glaze it in one botched hard launch. All it takes is to take off in the wrong gear. All it takes is continued "spirited" driving while not knowing how to rev match the downshifts, slipping the clutch on take off and between gears, to overheat the clutch. I think the OP mentioned a particularly spirited night.

I've personally destroyed an almost new clutch in 30 seconds when I decided to take it to the junkyard, I've written about it in the past. I've also worn a brand new set of tires down to the threads in about 1 minute. These things aren't normal but they're not hard to do either.

On the flip side, maybe the clutch got contaminated by one of the oil leaks (I admittedly skimmed through a lot of the thread).
All because of Paul, we can't trust you with your super-logic anymore IHC. Sorry
The following 5 users liked this post by TheChamp531:
1fstTL (10-08-2014), Acura_Dude (10-08-2014), bigballer8526 (10-08-2014), Corey_Straker (10-08-2014), michaelap95 (10-08-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 07:24 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
I have seen ppl who buy their first stick car destroy the clutch in under 2500 miles on new cars. I personally don't want anyone but myself washing my car by hand.
cokorote (10-12-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 08:02 AM
David_Dude

I don't blame you, but when there's that much mud/dirt on the car an explanation is a given. Hell just spray it off. Obviously not all of it's going to come off, but come on. The car should have been tested out on the street only.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Man that's rough... OP and person doing job agreed to a price and what was to be expected. Obviously someone did not deliver on said promise. The person doing the work needs to make SURE that the parts are what is expected and at the very least clean up the car before returning it to the OP...after verifying everything is as it was when the car was delivered.

I just paid (as of last week) a Subaru dealer $3.8K to fix my engine. Now only did they dix my motor, PS rack, and A/C they came in well under the 4.2K price for motor and new rack. Also my car was washed and cleaned. I still had an antifreeze leak and when I brought it back, they acknowledged that the lower hose was not on securely and they fixed it. They did the job better than expected and never blamed me for anything...or made justifications.
Acura_Dude (10-08-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Damn Luke...I'm sorry to hear, man.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by azeezp13
This has been a super compelling read and I feel for the OP but I don't think its fair to keep throwing Paul under the bus like that. He's a pioneer in the J-Series game and has done a lot for the community. Everyone has done some f*** ups in their life and lacked accountability to own up to it right away. The fact of the matter is, this is far from a simple job and you'd be hard-pressed to find a shop even capable of performing this swap. Paul butchered the job, like almost every mechanic has done at one point or another.. and he owned up to it by reimbursing the OP with half the cost. Most of the work is done, it's possible OP may need a new clutch and transmission casing now.. but what's done is done. Hopefully the OP can get the job finished right and be able to enjoy his new 6MT TL.

Glad to see you take things in stride. The op now has to spend more money to fix someone elses fk up even though this person has done over 25 of these swaps.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by CL-S progression 01
Azeezp13 Paul threw himself under the bus. Did u see the pictures? How many separate leaks OP had to deal with? That's downright being complacent and careless. If av6 is so highly praised then how does this just occur, does he have other people working for him as well? Who really knows

people have their fuck ups but they deal with them like men. That car had more than five serious issues that were left unaddressed before op set off on a massive drive back home. He could have gotten stuck in but fuck nowhere meanwhile Paul isn't giving two shit.

Sorry if I'm mad at this ordeal I got taken for my last motor rebuild on my previous car by my local mechanic shop, bill was over 2xs the quote and car was so fucked up it never did run right ever again after that.

And I still hold it against them those grimey lil f ers.

You don't see investment brokers accidentally lose all their clients money and then those clients give them more money to invest. So how someone could defend av6 after it's been documented he willingly neglected to do his job in several areas and aspects.... Is beyond me.

It takes years to build a reputation and seconds to destroy it. I think he forgot that.

230 dollars and a bucket of water and soap would of saved his face.
TheBlueBomber (10-09-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 01:01 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts
Wow. This is crazy
Old 10-08-2014, 01:04 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
I think he should get all his money back. What is the reason for only half? Plus his gas for bringing the car and his plane ticket to pick it up.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 626 Likes on 277 Posts
Frosty, the real issue with all of this, is that for whatever reason you felt that someone who is not an approved vendor here on AcuraZine could perform good work. You should know that anyone not honest enough to be an official vendor is obviously a crook! I hope this is a lesson to all. If you're talking to someone within our community, who is attempting to sell parts or service, and they don't have a Vendor Tag, they are likely a crook and liar. Report them to the site team, and DO NOT DO BUSINESS with them.

With that said, NVA-AV6 is now banned for life.

cheers,
robb
The following 17 users liked this post by astro:
96SC4 (10-08-2014), Acura_Dude (10-08-2014), cokorote (10-12-2014), dezymond (10-08-2014), EL PESADO (10-11-2014), JnC (10-10-2014), Kaiii (10-09-2014), Legend2TL (10-09-2014), maharajamd (10-09-2014), Marcelechka (10-08-2014), michaelap95 (10-08-2014), paperboy42190 (10-09-2014), rockstar143 (10-09-2014), rossv1 (10-09-2014), STL acura (11-24-2014), TLin401 (10-08-2014), WishaninjaWood (10-12-2014) and 12 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-08-2014, 03:46 PM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by astro
Frosty, the real issue with all of this, is that for whatever reason you felt that someone who is not an approved vendor here on AcuraZine could perform good work. You should know that anyone not honest enough to be an official vendor is obviously a crook! I hope this is a lesson to all. If you're talking to someone within our community, who is attempting to sell parts or service, and they don't have a Vendor Tag, they are likely a crook and liar. Report them to the site team, and DO NOT DO BUSINESS with them.

With that said, NVA-AV6 is now banned for life.

cheers,
robb
Bravo.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:01 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Astro have my babies
The following 3 users liked this post by TheChamp531:
Acura_Dude (10-08-2014), Undying Dreams (10-08-2014), WishaninjaWood (10-12-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 04:04 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts

The following 9 users liked this post by Majofo:
Acura_Dude (10-09-2014), crazyasiantl (10-08-2014), Franchise1124 (10-09-2014), InFaMouSLink (10-10-2014), Jakes_tl (10-09-2014), princelybug (10-08-2014), rockyfeller (10-15-2014), ttribe (10-09-2014), WishaninjaWood (10-12-2014) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-08-2014, 04:08 PM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
^

Old 10-08-2014, 04:49 PM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
Well then...
Old 10-08-2014, 05:30 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sorry to hear that men... :/
Old 10-08-2014, 05:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow. Still trying to figure out how the car was so dirty? That is ridiculous.
Acura_Dude (10-08-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 06:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
well thats GG.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:00 PM
David_Dude

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
Astro have my babies
WishaninjaWood (10-12-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 08:25 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts
Old 10-09-2014, 12:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Wow.

Definitely lesson learned by the car community here...buyer beware of any backyard mechanic. Regardless of how much of a "good rep" he has with forum guys, it's still dangerous.

As others have mentioned. A proper business builds into their expense occasional screw-ups when things do go wrong. Of course sourcing parts in these kinds of tranny conversions will already be hard to find a shop to do so finding a quality part that's NOT been hacked and slapped together like that tranny case will be an issue as well.

Hope OP get's his car fixed up properly.

This gives me great incentive to properly care for the 5AT!
Old 10-09-2014, 12:18 AM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts