Rear View Mirror exploded!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 11:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply ou sig. Hope to get my mirror soon.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:46 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
got the new mirror today - all went well (it was kinda a pain to get the old mirror off though)
Old 06-07-2006, 10:15 PM
2nd Gear

Hello

Can anyone who's already gone through removing the mirror help me figure out how to remove mine please? I've figured out already how to get the wire disconnected and I removed the cover on the front and back part of the mount, but the mirror I'm lost on. There's a metal tab on the back after you remove the cover, thought that would do the trick but it didn't. Figured I'd ask for help before doing any serious damage.

I don't have are replacement mirror but mine has two long cracks I'm worried about it leaking all over the interior.

Thanks all.

lostnalabama...
Old 06-08-2006, 05:36 AM
Too many $$ toys

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
get a long thin punch and place it in the small hole that faces rearward. gently tap it with a hammer. you will be driving it down and toward the front bumper. mine popped right off.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:36 AM
9th Gear

Help removing the mirror

Hi LostNAlabama,

As SurlyNKid has suggested take a blunt object and gently hammer the point where the mirror seems to be attached to the windshield in a direction parallel to the windshield pointing towards the front bumper. I didn't need to do it but you can try squirting a LITTLE bit of lubricating oil (I did apply the oil while pushing my new mirror up). The way it is structure is imagine an inverted 'T' stuck to the windshiled and the mirror has a clasp which hugs the two arms of the inverted 'T'.

It must sound difficult to you right now, but once you do it, it seems very easy.

All the best!
Old 06-09-2006, 11:34 PM
Intermediate

I actually just finished replacing mine. I just held onto the "arm" of the mirror and wiggled it while pulling parallel to the window. It came right off. Easier then I thought it would be. Thanks again to all who have gave tips on taking it off and for letting me know that I could replace my broken mirror for free.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:18 AM
Intermediate

just got my new mirror in too. will try the dealership first - i want to make sure it's done right this time around...

tee
Old 06-10-2006, 11:06 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by amolvb
Hi LostNAlabama,

As SurlyNKid has suggested take a blunt object and gently hammer the point where the mirror seems to be attached to the windshield in a direction parallel to the windshield pointing towards the front bumper. I didn't need to do it but you can try squirting a LITTLE bit of lubricating oil (I did apply the oil while pushing my new mirror up). The way it is structure is imagine an inverted 'T' stuck to the windshiled and the mirror has a clasp which hugs the two arms of the inverted 'T'.

It must sound difficult to you right now, but once you do it, it seems very easy.

All the best!
Everyone, thanks for the help. After fighting with this initially for over an hour, imagine how idiotic I would have felt had I broken something before realizing it takes less than 5 minutes if you only know what you're doing. My mirror has cracks on either side of the mount so I was very concerned. Although it hadn't leaked all over my interior, I'm probably lucky that the cracks are on the upper portion of the mirror while the liquid naturally followed gravity's pull. Now, I'll work on getting a replacement mirror. Thanks again.

lostnalabama...
Old 06-13-2006, 12:34 PM
Cruisin'

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Breakaway inside rear view mirror

I got the replacement last night, and promptly replaced mine without any glitch.

Thanks everyone for the tips and instructions. It was very easy.

However, I was too lazy/tired to turn on my computer at home and re-read the instructions here. And the one I remember is to wiggle the mirror toward the front bumper. I did just that, and one of the steel tab of the old mirror just broke. Then I remember that the mirror is designed that way as a breakaway mirror, so that in an accident it won't hurt you.

Since it is an old mirror, I don't care that it broke. I thought, it's better to break the old mirror than if I break the windshiled. I guess the correct way without risking breaking the tab would be by a soft tap with a hummer downward toward the bumper, parallel to the steel clamp track on the windshield. Insert a phillips screwdriver or tapping screwdriver through the mirror wire hole, and tap through the hole vacated by the lights/sunglass holder.

Just a caution, when installing the new mirror, don't break your new mirror tab, though (ie. don't wiggle it too much). I was too chicken to break the tabs, that perhaps I didn't insert it higher/deeper in the track than it should be.

I will ship back the old mirror this weekend. Don't forget to do that, it's toxic anyway.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:11 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine Busted EVERYWHERE :(

I got into my car on Sunday to find a mess in the center console. I looked up and then quickly realized that it was coming from the mirror. I am taking it in tomorrow morning so the dealer can have a look. It really did a lot of damage.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-13-2006, 06:06 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CL500
I got the replacement last night, and promptly replaced mine without any glitch.

Thanks everyone for the tips and instructions. It was very easy.

However, I was too lazy/tired to turn on my computer at home and re-read the instructions here. And the one I remember is to wiggle the mirror toward the front bumper. I did just that, and one of the steel tab of the old mirror just broke. Then I remember that the mirror is designed that way as a breakaway mirror, so that in an accident it won't hurt you.

Since it is an old mirror, I don't care that it broke. I thought, it's better to break the old mirror than if I break the windshiled. I guess the correct way without risking breaking the tab would be by a soft tap with a hummer downward toward the bumper, parallel to the steel clamp track on the windshield. Insert a phillips screwdriver or tapping screwdriver through the mirror wire hole, and tap through the hole vacated by the lights/sunglass holder.

Just a caution, when installing the new mirror, don't break your new mirror tab, though (ie. don't wiggle it too much). I was too chicken to break the tabs, that perhaps I didn't insert it higher/deeper in the track than it should be.

I will ship back the old mirror this weekend. Don't forget to do that, it's toxic anyway.
Sorry my own advice didn't help you. At least it didnt break anything that you still needed like you said. I too would have used something to to hammer it down but coudln't find anything in my garage long enough. Guess my mirror's glue just wasn't holding anymore.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:30 PM
Cruisin'

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
It's cool

Sorry my own advice didn't help you. At least it didnt break anything that you still needed like you said. I too would have used something to to hammer it down but coudln't find anything in my garage long enough. Guess my mirror's glue just wasn't holding anymore.
No, no, no..., don't feel bad. Actually, I am glad I did it the way you described. I could have cracked the windshield had I tapped the wrong part.

I first tried tapping it with a screwdriver and hammer, but midway, I thought to myself, hmmm..., what happens if I hit the wrong part and nick the windshield. Looking back, I think my screwdriver would have tapped the aluminum piece glued to the windshield, which is the wrong part to attack.

I think there is probably a way to remove it without breaking it. There is some sort of level (the foot/leg of the "Y" part). I am not sure to pull up or to push down to lessen the pressure.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:28 PM
10th Gear

you need to pul it front and down
Old 06-16-2006, 09:43 AM
02 TL-s WDP

Unhappy Other mirror problem

My problem with my mirror is a little off topic.

I was driving one day and all of a sudden my rear view mirror just dropped off the "metal ball" rotator and just dangled by the wires...It not only scared the shit out of me while driving...it happened on a straight road not bumps no raddles. At the instant i pushed the mirror back on the ball and it held pretty well temperally but now its too lose to stay on by itself and i have it held up with rubber bands

I have a 2002 tl-s

I read that these mirrors are ment to be accident break off mirrors but this happened without any collision.

would this be covered by Magna Donnelly?
Old 06-16-2006, 11:37 PM
Intermediate

Email Heath.Flanery@magnadon.com and ask if its covered. They are real nice and respond to my emails within 24 hours.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:36 AM
Intermediate

I emailed heath 4 days ago and haven't heard a word. guess they don't want to replace them all.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:23 PM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
4 Thumbs Up for Leith Acura - Cary, NC!

1. For quickly agreeing to replace the leaking mirror in my 01 CL-S at 51K free of charge.

2. For quickly agreeing to replace my front windshield, which cracked when they tried to take the mirror off.

3. For quickly agreeing to replace my tranny which died last month.

4. For giving me a new TL loaner to drive on both occasions.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by spineman
I emailed heath 4 days ago and haven't heard a word. guess they don't want to replace them all.
I emailed them about a month ago and I still have yet to receive a reply from them.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:43 PM
5th Gear

Another case

1999 Acura TL - the dimmer stopped working about 30 days ago. Finally got around to buying a new mirror at the Acura dealer, who offered no help with the cost or information about potential toxic chemicals. I only found out about the problem with leakage and explosions on this site, when I went on line to get some advice on how to remove the old mirror. Needless to say, I went back and put a plastic back around the old mirror, which I kept in place until it was out of the car. I just emailed Magna Donnelly, asking them to cover the cost of the new part.

By the way, the Acura dealer also gave me bogus information about how to remove the old mirror. They advised me to pry it off. That does work, but, a piece of metal flies off in the process and you take a chance of cracking the windshield. Also, it's impossible to install the new one by pressing down on it. The Slide-off / Slide-on method works much better. Use some oil or silicon on both parts to make the job easier.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:40 AM
運転することを愛

Has anyone gotten an email response lately? Mine is starting to not auto-dim around the edges and I want to get this replaced.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:42 PM
Cruisin'

I've emailed two guys, Dani and Heath, and haven't heard back from either! Starting to upset me so I'm going to call today and try to get to someone on the phone that can handle this.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:50 PM
運転することを愛

Let me know what happens. I also have not received an email back and am getting frustrated. I am thinking about calling tonight as well. Please post as soon as you call so I know if it is worth my time.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:55 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Acuracy02
Let me know what happens. I also have not received an email back and am getting frustrated. I am thinking about calling tonight as well. Please post as soon as you call so I know if it is worth my time.
I received an immediate reply from Dani last week. He said he forwarded my request to Heath.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:10 PM
Cruisin'

Well good news is I called and got Heath's extension and he answered and I mentioned the email I had sent. So he pulled it up and told me that they actually just recently had a meeting on this problem. He then explained to me that the actual manufacturer of these mirrors is out in Ireland (I think) and that as of right now they don't have any in stock. But he had me send him my shipping address and phone number and vin number, so as soon as they get some im expecting one in the mail. So right now thumbs up for good customer service, I just hope they don't let me down.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:43 PM
Intermediate

what??? he couldn't email us and say they were out of stock? I hope not, but it sounds bogus to me. what is the telephone and extention number please? Thanks
Old 08-02-2006, 05:36 PM
Advanced

i got a ques does the mirror start smelling?? cause i smell acid wen i turn it on??
Old 08-02-2006, 06:35 PM
Cruisin'

The telephone number is 616-786-7000. I just followed the prompts to get his extension. I don't think he is trying to lie or something just because so many people have actually received their mirrors. We'll just have to wait and see.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:41 PM
運転することを愛

I got an email back today saying that he would be out of the office until Friday....

That seems odd since you talked to him today.

What do you think I should do?
Old 08-04-2006, 09:02 AM
10th Gear

I have an exploding mirror problem also... I email Heath (with pics also) on July 20, 2006 and have not heard from him . Maybe we should post our results here so that we can see if we are getting the old run around or if they will rectify this defect.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:13 AM
運転することを愛

I'm kinda frustrated because it seems some people are contacted back and receive replacements and others don't....its a very black and white problem. What I mean by this is that its easy to tell if the damn mirror is broken or not. So they have no reason to replace some and not others if they are all defective product claims. I'm going to take further action next monday if I don't hear back today like I was told I would.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:48 PM
1st Gear

Hi all, new poster here and thanks for everyones contributions on this board. I'm glad I found this thread.

I emailed Heath, I'll post if I have any luck. Luckily my mirror hasn't exploded but all the fluid has drained to the bottom of the mirror.

It's been over 110 degrees in the car this summer when I get in it so hopefully it won't blow...

I have a 99 TL.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:14 AM
6th Gear

Well last night I saw the bubble, this morning the bubble was bigger, and 10 minutes ago I went outside and the damn thing was leaking.

Dealer wants $150 + $69 for labor, I guess I have no choice but to pay it. I can't wait a few weeks for a replacement from Magna Donnelly with this black stuff dripping all over my interior.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:44 AM
sumbdy gettin used 2nite!

Originally Posted by satori
Well last night I saw the bubble, this morning the bubble was bigger, and 10 minutes ago I went outside and the damn thing was leaking.

Dealer wants $150 + $69 for labor, I guess I have no choice but to pay it. I can't wait a few weeks for a replacement from Magna Donnelly with this black stuff dripping all over my interior.
If you're under warranty, or even the extended warranty you might want to push for them to take care of this so you don' t come out of pocket for something that's clearly defective, not just isolated to your TL.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:01 AM
運転することを愛

Well I've gotten emails back saying nothing more than the fact that they "will get back to me" or "will forward this message on." I'm going to wait a bit and then order a new one online I guess....
Old 08-16-2006, 09:51 PM
3rd Gear

Any permanent damage?

Originally Posted by asaldworth
I got into my car on Sunday to find a mess in the center console. I looked up and then quickly realized that it was coming from the mirror. I am taking it in tomorrow morning so the dealer can have a look. It really did a lot of damage.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

My explosion occurred while the car was locked tight and idle - in the Buffalo, NY area. My 99 TL is of Canadian origin. Outside air temps during the time (about 3 weeks ago) were in the high 80's to mid 90's. My interior looks like your pictures except appears to be permanent. The chrome finish on the gearshift plate has begun to delaminate under the big blob and the mess on the wood doesn't even scrape off. Has anyone offered any remedies or suggestions for getting it off the leather?

A couple other things to note which may be coincidence but I have no other explanation:
-About a week or two before it was parked the car had a sulfur/rotten egg like smell which could also be caused by irregularities in the heating/cooling system. The heat or a/c were never on and since discovering the explosion, there has been no odor. To date, I have also not found anything dead or decaying in the car.
-The mirror never developed a bubble as many have seen as a warning, unless it appeared unnoticed while the car was parked.

I'm interested in any permanent damage which may have been caused and if damaged materials will be replaced by MD or Honda America.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:32 AM
Intermediate

I recieved an email today from MD. They said they recieved my request and emailed me the form to fill out. I guess they are standing behind their product. I'm impressed, but i'll be more impressed when i actually get the mirror.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:40 AM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is there any indication that the leaking problem has been corrected in the replacement mirrors? Or is the mirror's design and construction unchanged?

I have a 1999 TL and I'm wondering if it might make sense to replace the mirror before it leaks and damages the interior.

And frankly, I could live without the auto-dimming feature if it eliminated the risk of a leak. So I'd even conside replacing it with a non-OEM mirror.

Bob
Old 08-17-2006, 09:56 AM
Intermediate

I have a 2000 TL. I assume it has the same mirror as the 99? Does anyone know the number of pins in the back of the mirror? It is on the replacement request form. Thanks!
Old 08-17-2006, 04:12 PM
USMC Butterbars

Originally Posted by spineman
I have a 2000 TL. I assume it has the same mirror as the 99? Does anyone know the number of pins in the back of the mirror? It is on the replacement request form. Thanks!
I need to know as well for a 2001 TL. I just got an email from them to fill out a claim form.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:20 PM
USMC Butterbars

As you were, for the 2001 TL, the wires are black, gray, and white as well. As for the plug color, I could not see it.

Quick Reply: Rear View Mirror exploded!