All lights dim, flicker, and now car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 11:17 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All lights dim, flicker, and now car won't start

Hello, I have a 1996 2.5TL and just recently I was driving down the highway when I noticed all the display lights flicker, the ABS light came on briefly, the tachometer went to zero, and I heard a clicking noise in the glovebox area, and then after about 5 seconds everything was fine. I then shut off the car when I arrived home and went to restart it about 2 minutes later. The car would start but then immediately quit and did so about 3 times until it started fine and it drove fine. The next day (yesterday) I started it and it started fine but all lights began flickering again, the tach went to zero, the ABS light came on, the glovebox area was making a clicking sound, and the climate control would come on and off with the fan motor blowing on high. The motor then died and it is sitting in my driveway. I am new to the forum and was hoping this was a problem that someone has had before. Thank you.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:53 AM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Replace your battery and all will be sorted.

~Cheers~
Old 10-10-2006, 11:58 AM
大日本帝国

Originally Posted by Go90go
Replace your battery and all will be sorted.

~Cheers~
Oh and check your battery cables for corrosion and proper fitment.

~Cheers~
Old 10-10-2006, 12:05 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
It could be a battery cable issue, but since the car starts sometimes, the higher probability is an intermittent keyswitch problem.

I would go w/ cleaning and securing the battery cables, but if that doesn't work the keyswitch is most likely. This has been a problem w/ many Honda products over the last 15-20 years. Replacement is fairly easy and w/i most DIY capability.

Sometimes wiggling the keyswitch will fix the problem and confirm the keyswitch is the source of the problem.

good luck
Old 10-11-2006, 03:48 PM
4th Gear

New battery installed, same problem

I took out the original battery and put in the new one. I try to start the car, and it turns over and starts and immediately dies. I notice all lights work except the climate control lights and all dash warning lights (check engine, battery, ABS, etc lights) do not come on with the key in the accessory position until I turn the key to start the car, then all dash warning lights come on as they should but the car will not stay running, it is like someone were to immediatly shut the car off every time I start it. What should I do next, any ideas?
Old 10-11-2006, 04:02 PM
大日本帝国

Keyswitch. Does your key shake a bit when it's in the ignition? Then as TxH said, it's your keyswitch. My car had a similar problem and a quick blow to the battery terminal with the back of a screwdriver fixed it, and a jiggle of the key sorted the ignition switch issue.

~Cheers~
Old 10-11-2006, 05:06 PM
Racer

I have also seen a failure in the ignition switch that happens when you let go of the key after the vehicle starts. Basically, the key doesn't stop in the on position and turns the car off. Try to start the car and slowly bring the key back to the on position.

When the car shuts down does it shut down like the key has turned it off or does it peter out and die like it is running out of fuel?
Old 10-11-2006, 05:36 PM
4th Gear

The car dies exactly as if you were to turn the car off. It does not peeter out. I am off to Acura to buy the electrical part of the ignition switch for $41 and I'll put it in. I'll post what happened.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:58 PM
大日本帝国

Originally Posted by david29989
The car dies exactly as if you were to turn the car off. It does not peeter out. I am off to Acura to buy the electrical part of the ignition switch for $41 and I'll put it in. I'll post what happened.
My problem was in the mechanical part, not the electrical, but good luck, m8.

~Cheers~
Old 10-11-2006, 08:52 PM
4th Gear

The electrical part for $41 worked great!! I am so glad that was all it was. Thanks alot guys for helping out!
Old 10-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Intermediate

I had the same problem the other day, but let me tell you guys how it came about.

Around 3 months ago, it started to rain, so I got in my car and turned on the ignition. I had my headlights, windshield wipers, defogger and radio on. I started to drive for like roughly 30 mins until I notice that my dashboard lights were beginning to flicker and become dim and the ABS light came on. Then, my cd that I was playing began to skip, and then stop completely. I found parking eventually, and left the car until next day. So, the next day, I got into the car and tried to start it, nothing. Not even a crank in the engine. I went to the mechanic and had it towed. They told me I needed a new alternator w/ a new battery. Came out to like $500 bucks man. F*ck!

Then yesterday, I got into my car drove to the gym. I had my headlights, defogger, window wipers and radio(aftermarket) on. All of a sudden I notice my dashboard lights are becoming dimmer and i see the ABS light on. I went to the same mechanic and he replaced the alternator. I got the car, drove it for 10 mins and the same shiet happened. I brought it back, they told me I need to replace the crankshaft pulley. Another couple of hundred dollars down the drain.

Did anyone experience this type of problem besides the ignition switch?

I feel like selling this car already, every year I feel like I need to replace something. Very irritating!!!
Old 10-20-2006, 04:02 PM
Instructor

you not alone NY_2.5TL yea i had a problem with my valves oil was leaking got that fix for like $500+ then like 2 months later my thermostat went out which only cost $70 to fix but still i just hope no more problems reoccur but im thinking of sellin mines as well
Old 02-22-2007, 06:22 PM
Gizmo

Originally Posted by NY_2.5TL
I had the same problem the other day, but let me tell you guys how it came about.

Around 3 months ago, it started to rain, so I got in my car and turned on the ignition. I had my headlights, windshield wipers, defogger and radio on. I started to drive for like roughly 30 mins until I notice that my dashboard lights were beginning to flicker and become dim and the ABS light came on. Then, my cd that I was playing began to skip, and then stop completely. I found parking eventually, and left the car until next day. So, the next day, I got into the car and tried to start it, nothing. Not even a crank in the engine. I went to the mechanic and had it towed. They told me I needed a new alternator w/ a new battery. Came out to like $500 bucks man. F*ck!

Then yesterday, I got into my car drove to the gym. I had my headlights, defogger, window wipers and radio(aftermarket) on. All of a sudden I notice my dashboard lights are becoming dimmer and i see the ABS light on. I went to the same mechanic and he replaced the alternator. I got the car, drove it for 10 mins and the same shiet happened. I brought it back, they told me I need to replace the crankshaft pulley. Another couple of hundred dollars down the drain.

Did anyone experience this type of problem besides the ignition switch?

I feel like selling this car already, every year I feel like I need to replace something. Very irritating!!!
I have the same weird problem !! It was raining, and I was cruising at 30Mph when the ABS light came on, the dashboard lights started to flicker, the radio went off and I heard the clicking sound below the glove box. The car stopped & I twoed it to my mechanic. I was told to replace the alternator, which I did... but the problem persists. Does anyone know why this is happening ? Is it because of a bad battery/cables ?
Old 02-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
For both NY_2.5TL and Pradheep

Your problems also could be a bad ignition switch or loose/bad battery cable/s.

You also need a mechanic who diagnoses the problem rather than simply replaces a part (at your expense) and they steps back to see of the problem is fixed.

Clearly there was an loss of battery power. Why?

good luck
Old 02-23-2007, 11:54 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Cars need maitenance- meaning influx of $$$- thats life

Sure you could get a newer car- where brakes cost 600 just for front brake parts, or have a transmission ,$4000 go out after warranty

If you average out your expenses- 100 bucks a month to drive what is still a nice car is hard to beat.
Would you rather drive a bic lighter car- start 5000 times then throw away?
Or INVEST in a known vehicles lifespan.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:07 AM
1996 2.5TL

2 you guys with the problems, it might be the ignition switch. i had similar problems with my car and it was the ignition switch. cost only $55 from the dealer and i replaced it myself. you can even buy the part online for around $30. good luck!!
Old 12-03-2008, 10:40 AM
2nd Gear

Last evening in my 1996 TL 2.5 my key was failing to disengage from the ignition smoothly I finally was able to remove the key with great gentle effort. Now the radio is dead , ABS light is on and the head lights are very dim. The battery and cables are 6 months old.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:16 AM
大日本帝国

^ Check your alternator and its belt. When something similar happened to me, the problem was the alternator output cable which had worked itself loose.

Is the battery light on? That'd mean that your charging system is the culprit.

~Cheers~