Throaty noise when accelerating after TB Service.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 05:43 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Throaty noise when accelerating after TB Service.

Finished doing the Timing Belt service today, I replaced everything that needed to be changed. Also changed the Thermostat and put in new Spark Plugs. Took about 4 times to start up but everything was fine, no rough idle or weird noises. Took the car for a drive and realized during acceleration there is a throaty noise, as if it's an exhaust leak. There is no loss of power and RPMs at idle are normal. Only happens during acceleration.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:30 PM
Registered Bike Offender

Received 843 Likes on 625 Posts
did you do a valve adjustment?

I noticed a very very slight change in my exhaust after doing a valve adjustment. But, you changed a lot of stuff. if the engine runs well with no issues, the sounds is probably because your engine is just running better.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:13 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vlad_Type_S
did you do a valve adjustment?

I noticed a very very slight change in my exhaust after doing a valve adjustment. But, you changed a lot of stuff. if the engine runs well with no issues, the sounds is probably because your engine is just running better.
No I didn't do a valve adjustment, I think it's something electrical that's causing the issue. Maybe a loose connection from when I was working on the car. Yesterday it died then quickly turned back on while I was driving. When I got to my destination and turned the car off, I couldn't lock the doors. The car was dead, I put the key in the ignition and nothing happened, no beeping sound from when you put the key in. Tried to start and nothing came on, I checked my battery connections and nothing was loose. Closed the hood and all of sudden I could lock the doors. Came back about 4 hours later, unlocked the door, put the key in, no beeping again. Tried to start nothing came on again. Checked my connections again and tried to start and everything was fine. Think I'm gonna take it to the dealership and see if maybe they can figure it out.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:44 AM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Sure sounds like a loose/bad battery or ground connection issue or a bad battery. I'd double check all of that and have the battery tested as well.
The following users liked this post:
polobunny (08-04-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 10:00 AM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Second what nfn said. Check battery connections and cables. If you moved them around a lot maybe they're broken inside the sheath. It happens sometimes that they start rusting from the connections up in the cable itself and you don't really see it.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:44 AM
Registered Bike Offender

Well! With this new information, I certainly agree with the suggestion to check your battery connections and other connections. If you did the timing belt service, make sure you didn't forget to connect the ground on the right (passenger side) engine mount, and that the alternator connection is still good.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:33 AM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
... make sure you didn't forget to connect the ground on the right (passenger side) engine mount....
Hmmm, I don't remember that one....
Old 08-04-2015, 11:36 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
What's wrong with a throatier engine/exhaust sound?

Simple solution if you don't like it- turn up the radio!
Old 08-04-2015, 03:28 PM
Registered Bike Offender

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Hmmm, I don't remember that one....
It goes from the chassis to the engine, near the engine mount. I can't recall specifically if it goes to the actual mount, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was inadvertently disturbed during the timing belt job.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:17 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Sure sounds like a loose/bad battery or ground connection issue or a bad battery. I'd double check all of that and have the battery tested as well.
Originally Posted by polobunny
Second what nfn said. Check battery connections and cables. If you moved them around a lot maybe they're broken inside the sheath. It happens sometimes that they start rusting from the connections up in the cable itself and you don't really see it.
Well! With this new information, I certainly agree with the suggestion to check your battery connections and other connections. If you did the timing belt service, make sure you didn't forget to connect the ground on the right (passenger side) engine mount, and that the alternator connection is still good.
I took it to the Dealer today and that's the first thing the mechanic asked me, I told him I checked it multiple times (which I did) and it was on tight. He popped the hood and checked it himself, pulled the positive connection off like it was nothing. Tightened everything and so far so good, only problem left is the way the car sounds when accelerating.

Originally Posted by TacoBello
What's wrong with a throatier engine/exhaust sound?

Simple solution if you don't like it- turn up the radio!
ha ha ha, if it was because I put on a new exhaust then I would love it. But since everything is still stock it bugs me.