Clock Brightness Flickers

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 09:59 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clock Brightness Flickers

Ok, so i've been searching this problem in the forums and have even found some that closely resemble my issue. I've even seen TSB's for the tsx's same generation. I have not found a TSB for a TL nor a resolution. I've even contacted my dealer and given them the symptoms over the phone to which they believe i would need to replace my entire center console.

My issue:

Problem started about a week ago, so far I've only noticed the issue when I'm driving with the headlights on. The bezel that displays the time and radio information above my navi unit flickers. It goes from dim and hardly readable to bright than back to dim and than normal. Strangely enough it's the only thing flickering. The temperature controls stay constant at their normal lighting and the drivers controls stay normally lit as well. The sound if the radio is playing does not fluctuate, and the car does not display any loss of power. Just the clock that displays the time and radio information flickers (dimming and than become brighter and than going back to normal). It doesn't happen at the same time all the time, sometimes happening when i first start the car. Other times it just random. I've experienced the problem with the navi unit in the trunk causing the navi display to not work properly. Trunk unit was sent to alpine and repaired about a year and a half ago. Talking with the service tech at acura today and he said they had never heard of such symptoms...So before i schedule an appointment i thought i would see if any of you had heard of such.
Oh yea, i normally do not have the navi display up so i don't know exactly what that is doing when dimming with the clock is going on.
The following users liked this post:
annamoctezuma (02-25-2021)
Old 02-18-2013, 11:25 AM
10th Gear

Found this link to a tsb, but it doesn't explain symptoms or what exactly is covered
http://photos.imageevent.com/astrobo...sb/B03-013.pdf

in the picture of the tL display my problems are with the "upper display" flickering.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Anyone?
Old 02-20-2013, 01:03 PM
10th Gear

Have you been experiencing the same problem?
Old 02-27-2013, 09:12 AM
10th Gear

Problem hasn't occurred since i posted, but if anyone has any information about a fix i'm sure i'll need it eventually ( or someone else).
Old 03-25-2013, 06:31 PM
10th Gear

Problem has returned, but there is a twist. Sometimes when starting the car the radio will not power on right away. After pressing the power button multiple times the radio will come on. Starting to think the problem has to do with a loose or defective harness
Old 04-30-2013, 01:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
mine flickers too and goes on and off when I drive over bumps. I can even give it the slightest tap with a finger and it can go from on to off. Similarly to your problem I usually experience this at night only. I was guessing it was the connection but now you say you have problems with the radio now too
Old 04-30-2013, 02:10 AM
Burning Brakes

we should try this but IDK what to use to get it off

Name:  Untitled_zps1d153774.png
Views: 8054
Size:  213.8 KB

sorry for the lazy ass print screen im sure i could have done better if i applied my self but the time in the pic should elaborate hahahaha
Old 04-30-2013, 07:38 AM
MMkay.

Received 188 Likes on 154 Posts
Seems to be a lot of electrical issues going on around the forum lately..weird.

Did you try turning it off and on again?

Just kidding, do any of you guys have any A/M wiring or accessories installed?
Old 04-30-2013, 02:51 PM
Burning Brakes

no im stock besides and isimple.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Burning Brakes

this thing is impossible to pry off!
Old 01-02-2014, 01:39 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sorry to bring up a post thats a few months old but im now experiencing the same issue thats just occured a week ago. has anyone found a solution to the flicker of the clock display? this seem to happen at the early 2000's - present model which is why im suprise NONE of us has found a remedy. if anyone has found a solution please share it with the rest of us as this seems to be quite a common issue. I greatly appreciate the time and advice of any experienced 3g TL owner
thank you guys kindly :d
Old 09-16-2014, 12:01 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same issue

I also have the same issue - where my upper display in my 05 will flicker from bright to dim to off and back and forth. A tap on the top near the speaker sometimes brings it back or a tap to the front.

Not sure if something is simply loose or not... but would like to know if anyone took theirs to Acura to have it looked at? Read that TSB - but says nothing of loose connections or flickering on the upper display.

It is annoying because I use that clock... and I would hate to also have it flicker during an inspection if I was trying to trade it in. But just don't want to pay an arm and leg to have someone pull everything apart just to "tighten" a connection.

Any input?

Thanks!
Phil
Old 03-12-2015, 08:23 PM
10th Gear

I actually did go to the dealer and get a quote for how much it would be to "fix" the problem. "fixing" the problem simply involves paying for a new clock and paying for the labor to pull out the old one and install the new one. I have yet to replace mine, still driving around with a flickering clock.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:29 AM
Mmmmmm... Anthracite

I've had this issue for a year. I smack the dash and it comes back on. I suspect one day it won't. I've only had problems with the upper display no other electrical issues.

Originally Posted by jbelk78
I actually did go to the dealer and get a quote for how much it would be to "fix" the problem. "fixing" the problem simply involves paying for a new clock and paying for the labor to pull out the old one and install the new one. I have yet to replace mine, still driving around with a flickering clock.
So what was the $ amount?

Originally Posted by Fatfrii
we should try this but IDK what to use to get it off
This looks fairly simple to remove. I was afraid it would require removing the metal trim pieces that seem to get damaged when removed.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:45 AM
1st Gear

I have a 2006 TSX. In the past month I am also experiencing the non-stop random flicker of the clock bezel assembly. I called the Acura dealer and they were not aware of this problem. Looking over this website, it appears to be the result of a loose red/blue wire at the harness connection. Do I need a special tool to pry the upper panel off the dash? I would hate to ruin the dash. Has anyone documented the required steps or made a YouTube video?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:00 AM
5th Gear

So, I have just had my 04 TL for @ 10 days now. The upper display has been dark most of the time, and gets brighter once in a while. but works fine otherwise. Just used some plastic trim sticks to get it out of the dash without damage, I pulled the display apart to look for any signs of loose connections, checked the pins to make sure they were secure. Everything looked good, so just started checking online for parts and there are used ones for @$70 shipped. figured I would wait till the first of the year before ordering. put everything back together and it's working flawless. It must have just been a loose connection to the wiring harness.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:25 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by wildchilds74
So, I have just had my 04 TL for @ 10 days now. The upper display has been dark most of the time, and gets brighter once in a while. but works fine otherwise. Just used some plastic trim sticks to get it out of the dash without damage, I pulled the display apart to look for any signs of loose connections, checked the pins to make sure they were secure. Everything looked good, so just started checking online for parts and there are used ones for @$70 shipped. figured I would wait till the first of the year before ordering. put everything back together and it's working flawless. It must have just been a loose connection to the wiring harness.
If this is case then I will try it tomorrow or maybe even today, because the display flickering is extremely annoying and its time for a fix! Thanks for your input.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:38 PM
Burning Brakes

sorry I never got back to updating,

So i fixed mine. it doesnt flicker anymore and all I did was push a certain wire (forgot which was for the backlight) firmly back into the harness clip. It is most likely the same issue most are having. Since it flickers, it is not broken. It is just losing power. Pry the piece off as shown in the diagram and make sure all the wires are snugly fit into the back of wire harness clip. From what I remember, It was a wire with a stripe (red w/ blue strioe or the other way around). I did this over two years ago and still doesnt flicker at all.

while you guys are there I would disconnect the bulb that lights up the hazard light sign and "passanger airbag" or what ever it says after 04. The dash looks much sleeker at night.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:44 PM
10th Gear

Bringing it back from the dead, what tools did you use/ need.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Originally Posted by jbelk78
Bringing it back from the dead, what tools did you use/ need.
plastic panel tools will help against marring the inner surfaces of your car:

Amazon.com: KINGLAKE® Auto Door Clip Panel Trim Removal Tool Kits for Car Dash Radio Audio Installer Pry Tool 4Pcs: Automotive Amazon.com: KINGLAKE® Auto Door Clip Panel Trim Removal Tool Kits for Car Dash Radio Audio Installer Pry Tool 4Pcs: Automotive

pop it off, check wire, plug them in because they're loose, put clock back, profit.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:25 PM
10th Gear

Never mind, got it! Simple flathead screw driver
Old 09-29-2016, 02:56 PM
Cold Business

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Bumping this, I had the same issue, dimming , flickering.

Tried all kinds of stuff, kept coming back.

It's the plug on the clock. I plugged in the connector as normal, then stuck a smallish nail in the edge of the plug between the male and felmale. If you plug into the clock and move the connection , it will flicker, this holds it firmly into the female body of the connection. Harder than I thought it'd be to explain that, but it's worked for a couple months like it's supposed to.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:58 AM
Cruisin'

Sorry to bring this back up for Incase anyone else has the issue where the upper clock display on my 04 TL Navi. I tried all the fixeds and didn’t work, checked the connected removed the pins from the connected and made sure it’s snug and not loose. I was able to fix it after fiddling with it for weeks. Seems to stop when I hold the connector down firmly. Any vibration would make it flicker or go out. I examined the clock and noticed gaps between the connector and the clock housing I took something thin like paper folded a few times and stuck it between the connector and housing to keep it from moving. My issue is now fixed and no more flicker. Replacing the clock would probably fix it also but Navi clocks are expensive. Hope this helps someone out.
annamoctezuma (02-25-2021)
Old 10-12-2018, 01:22 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by cmoy1122
Sorry to bring this back up for Incase anyone else has the issue where the upper clock display on my 04 TL Navi. I tried all the fixeds and didn’t work, checked the connected removed the pins from the connected and made sure it’s snug and not loose. I was able to fix it after fiddling with it for weeks. Seems to stop when I hold the connector down firmly. Any vibration would make it flicker or go out. I examined the clock and noticed gaps between the connector and the clock housing I took something thin like paper folded a few times and stuck it between the connector and housing to keep it from moving. My issue is now fixed and no more flicker. Replacing the clock would probably fix it also but Navi clocks are expensive. Hope this helps someone out.

Old 05-05-2019, 04:24 PM
Acura Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread but can anyone confirm whether or not disconnecting the airbag connector sets off the SRS light? My clock display is flickering and sometimes I cant even get it to display anything. I would like to remove the whole vent unit so it's easier to work with.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:18 PM
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
It works!!!

i recently purchased a really well kept ‘04 TL and have been struggling for over a week with the flickering....I used both half’s of a toothpick to wedge in the connector, as well as used some black rubber foam weatherstripping at the mounting screws to reduce vibration. So far so good......going on 3 days!
Old 05-07-2019, 11:17 AM
Intermediate

The contacts internally on these things wear out. I brought it to an electrics guy and he said buy a new one if possible . I found a used replacement on eBay for $40 shipped. Its a super easy plug and play replacement of the entire unit. Works great and no more flickering. Took me about 15 minutes to instal. Doing a quick search I just found one https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2005-2...MAAOSwi8dbZhUa

This (rough) video shows how to remove the pieces without breaking anything to access the bolts to the unit (found on youtube - it's not me - ha)

Last edited by skierz; 05-07-2019 at 11:21 AM. Reason: adding content
Old 06-14-2019, 02:36 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Fatfrii
mine flickers too and goes on and off when I drive over bumps. I can even give it the slightest tap with a finger and it can go from on to off. Similarly to your problem I usually experience this at night only. I was guessing it was the connection but now you say you have problems with the radio now too
I have the same problem with my 04 TL. I was just getting ready to remove the panel to check the wiring. No problems with the radio though like mentioned in another thread.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:04 PM
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
6 weeks later, no issues!

Originally Posted by summerss
I have the same problem with my 04 TL. I was just getting ready to remove the panel to check the wiring. No problems with the radio though like mentioned in another thread.
I didn’t have any issues with the radio, but my toothpick trick is still working 6 weeks later, no issues with flickering at all!
Old 09-16-2020, 12:18 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the thread + vid on how to remove the vent cover. My car is doing the same thing so will try one of these tricks!
Old 04-04-2021, 11:16 AM
Mmmmmm... Anthracite

Solved, this worked perfectly thanks. Just a piece of cardboard as a shim to squeeze the connector!

Old 11-03-2021, 12:26 PM
Gomes35

Same issue here. Thought maybe it was a iSimple install issue as someone mentioned it earlier too. Mu iSimole isnt working well as in the bluetooth doesn't always come on and connect. Another story another day. Anyhow the video seems to have disappeared on how to remove. Will keep searching .. Just glad to see its a common issue that is I hope easily fixed
Old 02-06-2024, 02:04 PM
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts
Bumping this thread (plz don't ban me @Pair of TLs ) cuz I'm fairly certain I just fixed my flickering clock permanently.

The wedged piece of paper trick was a good diagnostic test, but not a solution. So I found this guy on the youtoobz who re-soldered the pins behind the connector.

Seems like a MUCH more permanent solution. I just did this on my lunch break and I'm 99.9999% certain it's going to work just like new again
csmeance (02-07-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 02:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by twokexlv6coupe
Bumping this thread (plz don't ban me @Pair of TLs ) cuz I'm fairly certain I just fixed my flickering clock permanently.

The wedged piece of paper trick was a good diagnostic test, but not a solution. So I found this guy on the youtoobz who re-soldered the pins behind the connector.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0jC...iend%27sGarage

Seems like a MUCH more permanent solution. I just did this on my lunch break and I'm 99.9999% certain it's going to work just like new again
If it doesn't work, i'm banning you for resurrecting the thread
twokexlv6coupe (02-06-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 03:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,392 Posts
That youtuber has been known to innovate some clever 'work arounds' in his day.
Old 02-06-2024, 03:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by twokexlv6coupe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0jC...iend%27sGarage

@rockstar143 you're famous
rockstar143 (03-21-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 08:17 AM
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
If it doesn't work, i'm banning you for resurrecting the thread

I shall accept that (minimally) potential terms and conditions
Old 03-21-2024, 06:38 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
@rockstar143 you're famous

Right you are...
my fix ended up lasting...reflow them connections!