'06 Navigation Flickering & Radio not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 03:38 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy '06 Navigation Flickering & Radio not working

Hello all!

I'm trying to help my dad with an issue he's having on his 06' Acura TL. He hasn't had any major issues aside from this flickering navigation issue & the radio not working. Now that he's retired he's a bit tight on money when it comes to replacing anything major.

Sorry if this has been discussed before but i'm running out of options aside from purchasing an entirely "new" navi unit off ebay.

It doesn't help that that the dealership took the navi disk out of his back trunk and is now denying that they forgot to put it back in.

Does the entire navi need replacing? Could I get away with a screen replacement?

Any guidance would be much appreciated!
Old 02-16-2016, 07:58 AM
1st Gear

I have this EXACT issue.

Originally Posted by Ol'Dave
Hello all!

I'm trying to help my dad with an issue he's having on his 06' Acura TL. He hasn't had any major issues aside from this flickering navigation issue & the radio not working. Now that he's retired he's a bit tight on money when it comes to replacing anything major.

Sorry if this has been discussed before but i'm running out of options aside from purchasing an entirely "new" navi unit off ebay.

It doesn't help that that the dealership took the navi disk out of his back trunk and is now denying that they forgot to put it back in.

Does the entire navi need replacing? Could I get away with a screen replacement?

The screen looks exactly the same. I have no control over any buttons nor does the rear camera work. I'm trying to figure out of this is a screen issue or the navi unit issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:05 PM
Cruisin'

does your car start?
Old 04-23-2018, 09:42 AM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stephen292
The screen looks exactly the same. I have no control over any buttons nor does the rear camera work. I'm trying to figure out of this is a screen issue or the navi unit issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
My NAVI Display failed on a 2005 MDX in 2016. Sent the unit to Alpine for repair. Cost was around $400. Link to Alpine:: https://www.alpine-usa.com/index.php/support/service/

For Honda/Acura OEM (Original Equipement Manufacturer) service please send to 2012 Abalone Ave Unit D, Torrance, CA 90501.

Hope this helps
Old 04-24-2018, 08:30 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just purchased an 06 TL with Navigation which gives a "Please check your disc" error message on screen in dash. Previous owner somehow removed the Navigation disc from the drive, which he gave me with the manuals, but the drive in the trunk appears to have no power to it as no eject button lights up. I have checked fuses 7 and 32 under the dash and they are fine.
  • Are there any inline fuses anywhere for the Navigation drive unit which I may be missing?
  • If the drive appears to have zero power to it, is this a common mode of failure and can it be repaired?
  • Is there something else that I should try before pulling it and sending to Alpine or an ebay repair service?
Most of the failures that I read in this thread appear to have working drives as far as power-they just have dirty lenses. Mine appears totally dead-disc will not load or eject.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:26 AM
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
You could buy a volt meter and check the wiring to see if power is making it to the unit first.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:28 PM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 update. Sending mines to Alpine

Just wanted to come on here and share my story as well. I too have the same “please check disc reader” issue. And most likely it’s the dvd. I also tried to clean the lens with alcohol but i didn’t have any luck. I decided to cough up the $358 to alpine and have them fix the issue. Seems like its a mechanical lens issue as oppose to the lens being dirty. I bought a brand new 2014 version map disc from Acura and i now have a hair line scratch on it after i inserted it into the dvd. I was thinking it was some misalignment on the lens mechanical. I will update in a few weeks with the result from alpine. Wish me luck 🤞
The following users liked this post:
pohljm (09-24-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 10:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
OK so DVD drive crapped out.

Whats the consensus regarding ebay used drives? Good to go and plug and play? do you need a new and different code to activate? easily obtained if needed?
or Alpine repaired drive? $358 is current price?

2Ching how did yours turn out?
Old 09-27-2019, 09:26 AM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ebay will definitely be a cheaper alternative... but, buy at your own risk. In Some rare cases .. the codes might not match up and you’ll have to deal with the headache of returning. Alpine will fix the issues guaranteed. Hope i can help answer your questions.

Originally Posted by pohljm
OK so DVD drive crapped out.

Whats the consensus regarding ebay used drives? Good to go and plug and play? do you need a new and different code to activate? easily obtained if needed?
or Alpine repaired drive? $358 is current price?

2Ching how did yours turn out?
Old 11-22-2019, 08:46 AM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I got a message one day "Error reading disk, please consult your dealer.
The error was sudden, and not the erratic\sometimes it works symptom that might be addressed by cleaning the laser. I did eject the disk and it was pristine. No change in behavior when reinserted.

I decided to try a used unit, but it failed to load disk (disk error, please check your disk), so was able to return it for a refund.

I bit the bullet, and sent my unit to Alpine with a check for $358.00, and when it was reinstalled, it works fine.

I could have tried another used unit, but I don't think sellers actually test them-they assume the unit was working when the donor car is salvaged for parts. Not all sellers have a return option, so if you go the used route, I strongly suggest only buying from sellers who do.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:52 AM
1st Gear

Radio/Nav screen not working

Did you ever get this issue resolved ? My screen on my 06 TL looks exactly the same. Radio works but can't adjust anything. I don't know if it's the screen or the whole unit gone bad. Nobody around my town seems to have any answers either. But it drives me crazy !! I was hoping someone has found a solution by now besides sending unit off to Alpine. Like I said, it might just be the screen.. Right ? Sometime please email me with a solution. I'd greatly appreciate it too !! bradhelton77@gmail.com
Old 09-04-2020, 11:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Send it to Alpine they will fix it up.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:08 AM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Display weirdness

Originally Posted by Ol'Dave
Hello all!

I had to have my nav unit repaired by Alpine. I had no display troubles-but would not load disk data.

The display issue is unrelated, in my opinion. However, you can call Alpine and describe the issue. They will tell you if they will accept the repair, based on your description of the issue (they essentially screen the units being sent, to be reasonably certain that they can correct the issue. If they tell you they can’t repair it-that implies your issue is not the Nav.)

You would need to purchase a compatible DVD in any case.

What I have not been able to determine, is whether the fault is the display proper, the head unit feeding the display, or a wiring/connector issue on the unit, or at another point in the harness-at the amp, for instance. Sharp bumps in the areas have not produced any display response.

I have not opted yet to buy a radio/nav unit to attempt repair. A display screen is not much cheaper than an entire unit with the radio, etc. I also need to figure out how a different unit will unlock-is the radio code different (I would think so, but don’t see that concern addressed in the listing of units for sale)

I have not figured out what is causing issue, and I don’t have the scrambled display. My issue is annoying, but if I remember where the function buttons on the touch screen are, I can operate/control the various modes. NAV is useless, but I use my cell for that anyway.
Old 09-05-2020, 02:56 PM
Suzuka Master

if it was a screen only issue the buttons for the other radio and climate functions would work. this is a nav drive unit issue. the nav drive unit affects many other seemingly unrelated features.