Starting/electrical probs (2002 RL)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 12:16 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting/electrical probs (2002 RL)

Hi all,

First post here. I bought my beautiful silver RL in November 2012 with about ~70k miles on it. It was in immaculate condition for its age, and a gorgeous car, I couldn't resist. Still love it's appearance to this day. However, ever since I've had the car, I've dealt with nothing but problems!!

Upon buying the car from the dealership, they replaced the ignition switch. Or they claimed to, anyways. I've always had problems with the ignition recognizing the key (gets the little green flashing key, turn key around and re-insert, usually does the trick).

Over the course of the past 2 years, the VSA/ABS light has randomly flashed on and off, as well as the SRS light. I've used the paper clip trick to reset the SRS light a couple times, but recently it came on and I am unable to reset it. The VSA/ABS light are now always on as well, so I have made an appointment with an Acura/Honda special shop to check it out (unfortunately, can't get in until next month). The Acura dealership here has horrible service and tries to rip you off every way they can.

One day recently, I went to take her for a spin and NOTHING happened. No power locks, no lights, nothing when inserting the key, completely dead. I replaced the battery (only 3 years old...) and cleaned the terminal connectors free of any corrosion before putting in the new battery. Put the key in, boom, car starts no problem, I'm back on the road.

A few weeks later, same issue. I go to drive the car, no power again. Ok, the issue can't be the battery, right? I just replaced it. Oddly enough, I set the keys aside for a couple days to work on it on the weekend. A few days later, I hit the unlock button on the key fob and it works! So the car unlocks, I test to see if it will start... it groans to life, starting, and I drive it around and let it run for about 10-15 minutes before parking it again.

Next day, I go to drive the car again. This time, the power unlock doesn't work. I have to manually unlock it with my key. Once again, absolutely nothing is working (lights, locks, etc.). I pull my other car alongside and hook it up for a jump. Turn on the Camry and let her run 5 minutes before trying to start the Acura..

The only thing that works are the interior lights (door lights and dome lights). No dash lights, no hope of starting the car. I did not try the radio.

So the car won't jump, but randomly was able to start a few days ago after not being able to start.

What the hell is going on? Anyone experience something similar? Please help, it would be greatly appreciated...

Right now I just pulled out the new battery and sat it aside, and pulled out the 120V battery fuse (although I have no idea how to tell if its blown or not?). I'm such a n00b
Old 09-22-2014, 04:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
This forum is dead. No one will reply to you except me lol. You might check on Facebook private section, I was told by a member here so give it a try. To answer your problem then it might not be the battery because you just replaced it. When you turn the key, did it click before all the lights in the cluster went dead? If so you might have a bad battery terminal. My negative terminal is loosen, and when I turn the key nothing works. To fix this, I used a small metal tab and put it between the battery terminal and battery cable. So if I were you make sure all of your battery terminals are tight, just to wiggle them around and make sure they don't move. Also don't over tight the battery trrminal cable either.