To members who already own a TLX, advice is needed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 05:36 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To members who already own a TLX, advice is needed!

Hey Acurazine,

I am currently in the market for a TLX and will be test driving it tomorrow after work. I've lurked the forums for a while now to do research and have found that the TLX may have some issues here and there. So my question is, when I test drive the TLX what kind of things should I be looking for in order to avoid any future headaches? I know that the transmission may be jerky or some rattles may appear. Anything specific? Thanks in advance for the help and hopefully I'll be a happy TLX owner in a week or two!
Old 03-25-2015, 06:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
As you have been lurking then you should know what to look for. Take a couple of your favorite CD's or Apple product to verify that the sound quality meets your standards.

Slightly different items to check out if you a planning for an i4, v6, or SH-AWD.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
OP....I think the biggest issue with the TLX resides with its tranny but it may not be felt during a short test drive but at least you are aware.

So I would check the following:

1. Transmission shift - Depending on the I4 or V6, there are some issues between hard shifts between1&2 and 2&3 or lurching/surging when you get to a stop or even some feeling of 'slippage'.

2. Throttle response....Make sure you test and see how the car reacts to the pedal action.

3 Seat comfort...some feel the TLX does not have as bolstered seat while some rave about their seats.

4. Sound quality...some feel that the Bass is lacking so bring a reference CD

5. rattle....Listen to see how solid it feels.

6. Reflection...make sure the side vent reflection won't bother you too much.

7. LAck of a gear shifter (if you go for a V6)...I know that was annoying for me, not having something to hold.

That should be a good start
Old 03-25-2015, 08:26 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
1100 miles and no problem here. No tranny issues here, Sport mode is a beast. I did have a problem with ACC but appears to be fixed now. only regret is they didnt have espresso interior and setlled for parch, wish i had waited.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:02 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm also in the market for a TLX, specifically the I4 Tech model. I was just wondering if the Tranny issue has been resolved and if not, is it something that can be fixed later on by bringing it back to the dealer with a software update.

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2015, 10:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
^ There are no published statistics but the issue may affect as few as 1% of the i4's and unlikely to be as high as 10%. And there is no definitive pattern on which cars or driving style it affects, but it seems to be software related, which strongly suggests that it is/will be resolvable.
The following users liked this post:
tlxsteve (03-26-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 10:49 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Quandry
^ There are no published statistics but the issue may affect as few as 1% of the i4's and unlikely to be as high as 10%. And there is no definitive pattern on which cars or driving style it affects, but it seems to be software related, which strongly suggests that it is/will be resolvable.
That's a relief to hear.. I'd hate to drop 40k on a car and have a tranny issue
Old 03-26-2015, 05:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I agree with Quandry on this one....It is a software issue and I am confident that eventually, it will be resolved. It may take a few attemps and trips to the dealer but if you live near an Acura dealer then I wouldn't let that stop you.

For me, given my distance away from the dealership (4h away), it was a deal breaker.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:32 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by Vlke
Hi everyone,

I'm also in the market for a TLX, specifically the I4 Tech model. I was just wondering if the Tranny issue has been resolved and if not, is it something that can be fixed later on by bringing it back to the dealer with a software update.

Thanks!
The issues seem to vary in severity from car to car which may be a matter of driving styles as the transmission has firmware which allows it to learn from your driving style. Mine has some symptoms but they're very minor. If you're the adventurous type then buy one and have at it - otherwise you could always wait a few months to see where the software updates are at.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:28 AM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Advice would be to 1st select the model and option level you want, as the basic 4 and advance 6 are very different machines that share the same skin. Once you've done that, do your homework and find at least two similarly equipped models from other manufacturers to test drive and compare. I would also recommend you take some time to read the "problem and fixes" section of this board so you can have an idea of the problems and irritants actual owners are sharing. Last, I would recommend test driving everything you can (yes it's time consuming) and always ask for and try to get an overnight test drive so you can have a good feel for the controls and electronics because, lets face it; its easy to like the way a car looks or feels or drives, but ultimately if you don't like things in the car that are quirky or non-intuitive, those are the things that will keep you from being happy in the long run. It's easy to focus on how a car feels, brakes, corners, etc, but it takes more time and focus to consider the nuances of cockpit. There are lots of similar new technologies offered by competing manufacturers, BUT how they are controlled and executed can be as different as night and day...and bluntly a lot of electronics in various models just are not well thought out or executed, so I would recommend you really touch, smell, feel and acquaint yourself with the systems you know you will be using the most each time you get in the car. Good Luck

Last edited by JonfromCB; 03-26-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by cheeseypoofs mcnut
the issues seem to vary in severity from car to car which may be a matter of driving styles as the transmission has firmware which allows it to learn from your driving style. Mine has some symptoms but they're very minor. If you're the adventurous type then buy one and have at it - otherwise you could always wait a few months to see where the software updates are at.
+1000.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:00 PM
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts
I would agree with the other members here who have offered some great advice. I have had no major issues to speak of, and thankfully, my transmission seems to be free of any of the symptoms that plague some TLXs. I think time will tell on some of the issues and I'm sure Acura will keep working on updating the software to remedy them as they continue developing the car. I love all the technology, looks, and performance of this car, and I hope that continues.

What it ultimately boils down to is you'll need to be happy with whatever you purchase so do your homework and make damn sure you get what you want. Test drive several competitors to see what each has to offer in comparison and drive the TLX as many times as you can and for as long as you can to see if it's what you want.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:43 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Almost 6k miles so far. Zero issues

The TLX is my 3rd new car Acura (Integra GSR, TL, TLX Tech) and my favorite of all so far. I tend to drive hard and in all sorts of traffic conditions (Houston). I haven't had any sort of jerkiness or other issues with my transmission. I did get my first speeding ticket in over 10 years though. Better watch your speed, this car is nice and quiet well beyond 80mph.

I would suggest listening to Bluetooth audio in every car you test drive. FYI, sound quality with the free version of Pandora sucks. Use high-quality mp3s or Spotify Premium to get a real feel for the sound quality. I tested several different vehicles and found the Acura TLX Tech to be best by far.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Test the IDS!

A little under two weeks with my new V6. The transmission shifts a lot (9 gears), and that takes some getting used to. I havn't noticed any hard shifts or lurching that some other posters have talked about.
I would suggest rolling through all the IDS settings on a test drive. They really do change shift points and even throttle response quite a bit between them.
If they came out with a fix to re-flash the transmission (V6 9 speed), I'm not sure at this point I'd agree to it. IMO, it's doing fine now and I would hate to sacrifice fuel economy, or the mannerisms the car has.