Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 10:42 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Old 01-13-2016, 11:36 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,832 Likes on 3,853 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
Jeez...so it'll cost you a new accord to go from a charger hellcat to a jeep...just for AWD!!!? That's insane...

I remember when diablo was 125K...
and it's not to take away all the new things they are giving you with a car, and inflation, but pretty regular (in relation to a supercar of 20 years ago) cars are almost costing that much now!
The JGC is also a bigger car with more features and overall more stuff than the Charger/Challenger. Also both of those cars share just about all the components. The JGC will have a different tranny, engine mounts, chassis, differentials, transfer case, etc...on top of all the software parts to enable the whole system to work with the traction control, launch control, etc...
Old 01-13-2016, 11:49 AM

which leads me back to the actual answer to the question...

because they can
Old 02-04-2017, 08:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Paging Sarlacc.....need your insight.

The search for the next neuronbob daily driver has officially begun as my RLX lease is ending in a few months....hopefully earlier than that.

I have decided my next daily driver will probably be a CUV/SUV, with towing capability required for the NSX.

Been in the RDX AWD and MDX SH-AWD as loaners over the last couple of months as RLX has been in the shop.

In any case, I wanted to try a Durango and specifically the R/T as I require an entertaining ride as a daily driver.

I test drove one today and wanted to share a few comments, and hopefully get some guidance from Sarlacc.

I like the external look. Even with the plain slab sides, the profile is handsome and the rear, fully lit is really nice. The one I drove was silver with the Blacktop package, which is what I'd probably spec if I made the lease/purchase.

Internally, doesn't have as many soft touch panels as my RLX so is not quite as luxurious, but given the price range, not surprising. It is really not bad and the fit and finish looked pretty good. Seat is firm, but comfortable. Like the "R/T" stitching on the seats, as well as the red stitching throughout.

Love the dash display. Very appealing colors, and adjustable to add a digital speedo display, which my S2000 and CTS-V spoiled me for.

UConnect is simply awesome. You touch the *single* center screen and you get instant response, no waiting. It's ridiculously easy to use and quite user-friendly. I was most surprised to see this in a FCA product.

Driving: The first thing I noticed was the exhaust note. The stock exhaust sound is AMAZEBALLS from inside the car! Enjoyable! I'd never get tired of the exhaust note.

I drove an AWD model. The steering is not as sloppy as I'd expect for an over 5k pound truck. Suspension is reasonably firm but compliant, certainly not spongy. Acceleration is reasonably quick for a heavy SUV, certainly faster than the MDX.

It has most of the features of the MDX for over $10k less, and seems a great "car-guy" SUV. If I lease, it's much less expensive to do so vs. my RLX, only a bit more than 1/3 the cost for a zero-down lease.

It's kind of sad when the salesman is trying to talk me into supercharging a Durango R/T, and how much HP it adds. Of course, when you drive up to the Dodge dealership in a CTS-V wagon, I suppose that kind of talk is to be expected.

So, Sarlacc (or others with a Durango), a few questions.

1. Real world mileage. I know you've had yours for a couple years at this point, Sarlacc, so your opinion would be helpful
2. Known issues with the Durango that I can anticipate?
3. How reliable have you found it?
4. Have you had occasion to tow yet? If so, how did it go? The whole deal about an SUV with towing capacity came about because my family wanted me to take them to NSXPO....but NSX has only one passenger seat. A tow vehicle allows me to take the whole family and save miles on NSX (though I'm very happy driving long distances in the NSX, and did in November to go to NSXPO). The R/T has a towing capacity of 7200 pounds, so that easily covers my 3k pound NSX + 2k pound U-Haul trailer. With an MDX, that maxes out the towing capacity and with the wife's Enclave, tow rating is only 4500 pounds!
5. Did you upgrade the brake pads? I read on the Durango forums that upgrading to Hawk brake pads improves not only day-to-day braking, but especially braking on the occasion one has to tow.
6. Are you routinely using regular gas for your Durango? I probably would.
7. I didn't try Sport mode, I had a brain fart during the test drive and forgot to do it. How much difference does Sport mode make in making your daily drive entertaining?

That's all I've got.

Last edited by neuronbob; 02-04-2017 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:41 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts

You know Bob.. Trackhawk is coming out soon.

So you might consider putting a procharger on the durango when the time comes.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:58 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,825 Likes on 2,572 Posts
Trackhawk still hasn't been officially revealed.

There are rumors of a Durango SRT...even possible came photos. But again...no real confirmation yet.

Now, I'll try and answer your questions best I can.

1. Real world mileage. I know you've had yours for a couple years at this point, Sarlacc, so your opinion would be helpful
I run a minor canned tune on my by diablosport. So, not sure how much it affects my numbers for when I'm rocking pure city traffic I can get as low as 11.5mpg...but I'm usually avging 12.5-13.5 with pure city, LA stop and go.

When the highway comes in to play I can get it up 16mpg and road trips are around 19mpg.

I also have a lead foot...

2. Known issues with the Durango that I can anticipate?
None that I am aware of.

3. How reliable have you found it?
I just flipped 30k on the odo and I have no issues. 1 recall and some minor warranty stuff early on. I can even remember what to be honest. This thing has been rock solid for me.

4. Have you had occasion to tow yet? If so, how did it go? The whole deal about an SUV with towing capacity came about because my family wanted me to take them to NSXPO....but NSX has only one passenger seat. A tow vehicle allows me to take the whole family and save miles on NSX (though I'm very happy driving long distances in the NSX, and did in November to go to NSXPO). The R/T has a towing capacity of 7200 pounds, so that easily covers my 3k pound NSX + 2k pound U-Haul trailer. With an MDX, that maxes out the towing capacity and with the wife's Enclave, tow rating is only 4500 pounds!
I have not and have no plans to tow. I have the tow package, but I just use it for my bike rack when I need it. But I dont think anyone has had any issues.

5. Did you upgrade the brake pads? I read on the Durango forums that upgrading to Hawk brake pads improves not only day-to-day braking, but especially braking on the occasion one has to tow.
My brakes just now feel like they are started to fade. And since my FIL is a mechanic I'm just having him replace the pad with stock. Its a heavy car and if you're going fast enough and need to make a sudden stop this thing will get you puckering. I would love to go to a more performance oriented pad, but not at this time.

6. Are you routinely using regular gas for your Durango? I probably would.
89 is the recommended octane. But since I'm running a tune, I run one of two tunes...I was running the 87 tune, which was great. Since prices are down I've been running the 91 tune for the last 6 months. I did try running 87 on the stock tune and I felt like I was getting sensor knock...but maybe they've changed things for the 15-17 models

7. I didn't try Sport mode, I had a brain fart during the test drive and forgot to do it. How much difference does Sport mode make in making your daily drive entertaining?
So, my 14 doesnt have sport mode, I have ECO mode that I turn off everytime I start the car...with it on I feel like the car limps and doesnt want to move in lower gears. My car seems to recognize my driving patterns and I can feel it go into a sport mode on its own where it holds revs higher and I feel like I have more oomph.

in full auto...a quick double tap on the gas also puts the car into "sport" for me as it downshifts 2 gears.

With the paddles. The car has delay when enabling the paddles. But once you're in them they are very responsive and make spirited driving and passing fun. I've learned on parts of the freeway to anticipate when I'll want the paddles and set them up to be on, so when I really want them I have them.

On 15+ if you turn of ECO mode, it remembers it and leaves it off. And it has sport mode, which my friend leaves on in his 15.

Its been a great SUV, I really do love it a lot. Even with the Challenger, it's probably the most favorite vehicle I've owned. Look up the video of the Corsa exhaust...its ungodly, I wish I had the extra cash for it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sarlacc:
neuronbob (02-05-2017), ttribe (02-05-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 11:28 PM
The Third Ball

Oh...and I forgot. My RT is RWD...so obviously the AWD numbers will be 1-2mpg worse.

That said. Its an engaging, fun ride. I have no regrets and I would buy a new one in a heart beat. Its a big 3 row muscle SUV... I didn't get it for class leading mpg.

My wife's former Highlander SE was AWD and avged 14.5mpg...and it was BORING as hell to drive.

Last edited by Sarlacc; 02-04-2017 at 11:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
neuronbob (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 08:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Thanks, Sarlacc. The fuel economy doesn't matter that much. I ask mostly for predicting/budgeting fuel, I mean, entertainment, costs, given my leaden foot. I'm 100% sure I ran in eco mode on the test drive. I may do a second in Sport mode.

Around here, I can get an R/T with second row buckets and rear seat entertainment for $45k without any negotiation. A similarly eqiupped MDX SH-AWD for 2017 is another 10-12k before real negotiation. Basically, it comes down to the type of cap reduction I can get, and what the MF and RV for the respective leases are.
Sarlacc (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 08:43 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,086 Posts
Bob, whatever you do, don't ever mention Eco mode to Sarlacc.

Obviously I don't have any experience with the Durango, but it's the same 5.7 that's in my Charger, which has been 100% reliable @76k miles.
The following 2 users liked this post by SuperTrooper169:
Sarlacc (02-05-2017), ttribe (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 08:52 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Thanks, Sarlacc. The fuel economy doesn't matter that much. I ask mostly for predicting/budgeting fuel, I mean, entertainment, costs, given my leaden foot. I'm 100% sure I ran in eco mode on the test drive. I may do a second in Sport mode.

Around here, I can get an R/T with second row buckets and rear seat entertainment for $45k without any negotiation. A similarly eqiupped MDX SH-AWD for 2017 is another 10-12k before real negotiation. Basically, it comes down to the type of cap reduction I can get, and what the MF and RV for the respective leases are.
in many, if not most reviews the Durango was the top dog 3 row SUV. I think the only one that might be as good or better is the new Mazda CX-9. Which I loved. But I don't think it match on towing...but the turbo 4 shocked the hell out of me. So maybe it can.

There is an all check traverse coming as well that sounds like they did a good upgrade on.

But it really when you have a vehicle that just came out as good as the Durango or even the cx9. I think it's a waste getting the mdx or even the q7 unlesss some killer deal is had. Just my 2cents.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:53 AM
The Third Ball

The neighbor that parks next to me has the new mdx. It just doesn't compare visually side by side.

And then you turn the engine over.......:-)
kurtatx (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 10:08 AM
Senior Moderator

I'll test-drive the CX-9 to see what it's like, but tow rating is really low, 3500 pounds. Even if I don't tow much, that capability may come in handy occasionally (i.e. NSXPO).

I'm one of those who likes the look of the new MDX, and SH-AWD in that SUV allows for sportish driving in dry weather, or at least handling that doesn't get in its own way.

But yeah.....the Durango's exhaust note, even stock, like I said, is exactly what I want a nice V8 with exhaust to sound like. There's a standard three-prong plug for the 2nd row seats, so we (and by "we", I mean my son ) can play on our XBox One on road trips.

Last edited by neuronbob; 02-05-2017 at 10:13 AM.
kurtatx (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 10:34 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
But yeah.....the Durango's exhaust note, even stock, like I said, is exactly what I want a nice V8 with exhaust to sound like. There's a standard three-prong plug for the 2nd row seats, so we (and by "we", I mean my son ) can play on our XBox One on road trips.
I can't even fathom playing XBox One on a road trip. I remember being a kid and getting car sick reading books and stuff.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts

My favorite (only thing I like) part of the MDX is the SH-AWD system. Otherwise I really could not care less for he vehicle as a whole (talking about 2014+ models here). Even the brand new 2017 ones are dated as hell in terms of tech and engineering.

The other day I seen a bright red durango R/T with the black grille and wheels...etc. It looked amazing. Granted I had 2 passengers, but he weighs a good 500+ pounds more and he absolutely smoked the hell out of me in the MDX. Completely shit all over me. I never knew something that big could move that fast. It probably would have gave me a run for my money in my previous 1G RDX as well.

IMHO I think the Durango is one of the best 3 row crossovers on the market. It really looks and feels more expensive than it is vs the MDX which looks and feels cheaper than it is. It also has a lot of tech, I LOVE that uconnect 8.4" unit. Obviously at the end of the day it is your call, I am excited to see what you end up with.
neuronbob (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 11:50 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,832 Likes on 3,853 Posts
bob, do you need a 3 row SUV? If not, give a good look at the diesel grand cherokee. moar torque and better fuel economy, same tow rating. You can even get a trailhawk version now with air suspension and all.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
bob, do you need a 3 row SUV? If not, give a good look at the diesel grand cherokee. moar torque and better fuel economy, same tow rating. You can even get a trailhawk version now with air suspension and all.
Yes, I definitely have need for a three-row. I need the interior room with the third row folded down, for road trips--it'd split road trip duty with the Mommymobile (Enclave).. In addition, I occasionally have to carry my little guy's buddies. Otherwise, I'd default to a two-row CUV like the RDX, which is a surprisingly nice little CUV. I'd love for FCA to put a diesel in the Durango, though.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:02 PM

Bob, you need to get mama to trade in the enclave for the durango R/T.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:24 PM
Senior Moderator

She loves her Enclave. You know how it goes....mama happy, everybody happy. She approves my joining the SUV ownership family, though. She is not a car person and thinks that I should have only one car, to get myself from home to work and back. Further, that car should have enough room for the whole family and our stuff. Wives.....
Old 02-05-2017, 01:46 PM

Pffttt.. All their common sense, logic, and practicality.. Where's the fun in that??
The following 2 users liked this post by Majofo:
kurtatx (02-06-2017), ttribe (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 01:52 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
Pffttt.. All their common sense, logic, and practicality.. Where's the fun in that??
God, we would all be driving Civics and Foresters if those three things were most important.
The following 4 users liked this post by kurtatx:
neuronbob (02-05-2017), nist7 (02-07-2017), Sarlacc (02-05-2017), ttribe (02-05-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 07:10 AM

Foresters!?!?!?
Mullet and KD Lang CD blaring too!
The following 2 users liked this post by rockstar143:
kurtatx (02-06-2017), ttribe (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 07:35 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,664 Likes on 2,495 Posts
She loves her Enclave. You know how it goes....mama happy, everybody happy. She approves my joining the SUV ownership family, though. She is not a car person and thinks that I should have only one car, to get myself from home to work and back. Further, that car should have enough room for the whole family and our stuff. Wives.....

Wait can't you put a hitch on the Vagon and tow to NSXPO with that? That would be so awesome.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:17 PM
The Third Ball

2018 Dodge Durango SRT: The family hauler gets meaner
Old 02-06-2017, 11:54 PM
Suzuka Master

OH MY GOD!!!!! I have been waiting for this for YEARS! Holy fricken shit man! 4.4 seconds to 60!!! Damnnnn. Imagine they then shove the hellcat engine in there!! Just wow this made my night. This was so needed too with the GL AMG available!

Edit: That Tow rating too! Be still my heart!
Old 02-06-2017, 11:56 PM

Old 02-06-2017, 11:56 PM

It must be in the 70s
Old 02-06-2017, 11:58 PM
The Third Ball

With all the rumors through the years I NEVER thought they would make this car.

And they did...and I fucking want it. And I can't fucking afford it
Old 02-07-2017, 12:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
With all the rumors through the years I NEVER thought they would make this car.

And they did...and I fucking want it. And I can't fucking afford it
It's ok man, I mean going fast and stuff is over rated right. Like who would actually want to put ricer kids in their place in a 5000 pound+ SUV?

Old 02-07-2017, 06:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
That SRT Durango looks so amazing!
Old 02-07-2017, 08:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 667 Likes on 389 Posts
I'm surprised it took them this long to come out with this.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
I agree! I would take the SRT durango over the SRT Jeep any day of the week.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:14 AM
The Third Ball

FUUUUUUUUUCK

Doom878 (02-08-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 09:21 AM

I'd take a gently used Jeep SRT for half the price..
Old 02-07-2017, 09:24 AM

That's fucking crazy how it shredded the fronts.. it must be 50/50 all the time.. or smaller footprint +water
Old 02-07-2017, 09:45 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,086 Posts
Holy smokes. I think there must be some sort of trickery (or wizardry) going on with that video, but regardless, it's worthy. I just read an article on the Durango SRT this morning. If only it had Eco mode I'd be all over it!
Old 02-07-2017, 09:57 AM
The Third Ball

I'd take a gently used Jeep SRT for half the price..
try and find one. They are holding their values like a mother.

That's fucking crazy how it shredded the fronts.. it must be 50/50 all the time.. or smaller footprint +water
Different setting. Track is 30/70, sport is 35/65, snow and another one are 50/50
Old 02-07-2017, 09:58 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by SuperTrooper169
Holy smokes. I think there must be some sort of trickery (or wizardry) going on with that video, but regardless, it's worthy. I just read an article on the Durango SRT this morning. If only it had Eco mode I'd be all over it!
It does have eco mode

but only pussies use it :-D
The following 2 users liked this post by Sarlacc:
SuperTrooper169 (02-07-2017), ttribe (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
try and find one. They are holding their values like a mother.

Different setting. Track is 30/70, sport is 35/65, snow and another one are 50/50
You've been looking too!
Even the first gens are just getting into the low 20s.

I've seen several second gens in the mid to low 30s.. fair mileage. I wouldn't mind one with 60-70k miles.
It's tempting.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:28 AM

so that's what that button is...

Old 02-07-2017, 10:49 AM
The Third Ball

You've been looking too!
Even the first gens are just getting into the low 20s.

I've seen several second gens in the mid to low 30s.. fair mileage. I wouldn't mind one with 60-70k miles.
It's tempting.
I'm always looking

1st gens around here are mid 20's with well over 100k, and usually being sold at those odd ball independent dealers. Just no real way of knowing their condition.

2nd gens if you can find them...mid 40s high 50s with decent miles. Not that I'd be picky but remember they made some changes after 2012 or 2013 with the transmission tuning or something to like that, cent remember specifically, to make them much better than 2012 models.

Quick Reply: Sarlacc 2.0