Graphical User Interface (GUI) for Project "Free DVD-A"

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 01:02 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I'm having a problem with my DVD-A. When I play it in my TL, it recognizes it as a DVD-A and plays the tracks but all the tracks are cutting in and out and skipping as if the CD is severely scratched. I read through 80% of this thread along with others but haven't heard anyone with this problem.

This is what I did:
- converted MP3's to WAV via CDEx
- Added wave files to create ISO via Adobemans GUI
- Used Nero Express to burn the ISO onto DVD-R (Verbatim) at 8X speed

Any suggestions? I tried this twice with the same result.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:08 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by NightShark
I'm having a problem with my DVD-A. When I play it in my TL, it recognizes it as a DVD-A and plays the tracks but all the tracks are cutting in and out and skipping as if the CD is severely scratched. I read through 80% of this thread along with others but haven't heard anyone with this problem.

This is what I did:
- converted MP3's to WAV via CDEx
- Added wave files to create ISO via Adobemans GUI
- Used Nero Express to burn the ISO onto DVD-R (Verbatim) at 8X speed

Any suggestions? I tried this twice with the same result.
Seems like you are doing all the right things. It's possible that the WAVs could still be the issue.

You might try ripping a CD to WAV and then try. If that works then it's the mp3->WAV. If still no work then it could be the burning SW or the media.

What OS are you using? Win 7 and 8 can burn the ISO directly.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:56 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Adobeman
Seems like you are doing all the right things. It's possible that the WAVs could still be the issue.

You might try ripping a CD to WAV and then try. If that works then it's the mp3->WAV. If still no work then it could be the burning SW or the media.

Try burning the disc w/ a slower speed if you could. I had the same issue when I burnt the disc at x16. Disc reads fine when I burn it at x4 speed. Mind you the disc skips a bit for the very last few tracks if I push the size to 3.9GB.

good luck
Old 03-04-2015, 12:43 AM
Intermediate

I'm using Win 7. How do I burn the ISO directly? I'm not sure what you mean by that.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:43 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mamamilk008
Try burning the disc w/ a slower speed if you could. I had the same issue when I burnt the disc at x16. Disc reads fine when I burn it at x4 speed. Mind you the disc skips a bit for the very last few tracks if I push the size to 3.9GB.

good luck
The slowest speed on Nero is 8x speed. Is there another burning software I should try?
Old 03-04-2015, 07:29 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

I'm using Win 7. How do I burn the ISO directly? I'm not sure what you mean by that.
Means you can burn the ISO right from Windows without need for any 3rd party tools like Nero. Here's a tutorial How to Burn Disk Images (ISO & IMG) in Windows 7 & Windows 8

Note the section where it says "NOTE: If you have third party software installed which has file associations with ISO or IMG files, you will find Windows Disc Image Burner in the Open with menu." This will apply to you. I burn directly from Win 8.1 using this method with no issues.

What version of the DVD GUI are you using ? Find it in the lower right corner of the Help->About screen of my app. Latest is 1.5. Get it here RDH Software: Adobeman's DVDA GUI (Overview and download link within)
Old 03-05-2015, 11:32 AM
Intermediate

Means you can burn the ISO right from Windows without need for any 3rd party tools like Nero. Here's a tutorial How to Burn Disk Images (ISO & IMG) in Windows 7 & Windows 8

Note the section where it says "NOTE: If you have third party software installed which has file associations with ISO or IMG files, you will find Windows Disc Image Burner in the Open with menu." This will apply to you. I burn directly from Win 8.1 using this method with no issues.

What version of the DVD GUI are you using ? Find it in the lower right corner of the Help->About screen of my app. Latest is 1.5. Get it here RDH Software: Adobeman's DVDA GUI (Overview and download link within)

I'm using your latest version.

UPDATE: I'm an idiot and didn't even bother trying out the waves first before I made them into an ISO. It turns out that it was CDex that was screwing up the wav files when it was doing the conversion. I listened to the wavs and they were all skipping and choppy so basically i was putting bad wavs onto the DVD-A.

I ended up downloading another mp3 > wav converter and it worked like a charm. Followed the rest of the steps as I did before (Adobeman GUI > Nero) and it works perfectly in the car now!

I added 91 songs to the DVD-A (I think I had room to add a few more).
I don't know if it's just me or if this is supposed to be the case, but when I listened to the songs off the DVD-A, it sounded much better than a normal 18 song burned CD.

Thanks everyone for all the help and patience!
Old 03-05-2015, 01:55 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
I don't know if it's just me or if this is supposed to be the case, but when I listened to the songs off the DVD-A, it sounded much better than a normal 18 song burned CD.
I haven't bothered with DVD-A before but this intrigues me. Can you confirm/deny/explain Adobeman?

I'll be soon moving to an Android tablet setup, but until then I could burn a few albums to DVD-A if the stereo expansion is better or something.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:11 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

...I added 91 songs to the DVD-A (I think I had room to add a few more).
Lot of variables here but...if it's the same mp3s that were converted to WAV and then put on CD and DVDA then they should sound the same. There's no processing the GUI adds when the project type is 2 or 6 channel source.

But for kicks, now that you have your GUI chops down, you might want to drop some 2 channel waves in the app and click the "Adobinizer 2 channel source" project type option. Start with "Small Club" and see if you like it. You won't fit 91 songs but it's a poor mans conversion to surround. I wouldn't use it on live recordings but it's interesting on most rock, jazz and instrumental. Not sure about over-produced pop though.

Polobunny - Give the GUI a whirl. Are you planning to run any DSP processing on your tablet? Viper4A is awesome but can be a pain to set up + you need to be rooted. This is the XDA thread [APP] Official ViPER4Android Audio Effects| XDA Forums Cyanogenmod has some interesting DSP in it too.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Damn so excited to give this a shot. I'm in the same boat as pb with the tablet but since I don't have time to do jackshit now, I'll give this DVD-A route a chance )) Thanks for doing this Adobeman!!
Old 03-06-2015, 01:28 PM
Registered Bunny

Lot of variables here but...if it's the same mp3s that were converted to WAV and then put on CD and DVDA then they should sound the same. There's no processing the GUI adds when the project type is 2 or 6 channel source.

But for kicks, now that you have your GUI chops down, you might want to drop some 2 channel waves in the app and click the "Adobinizer 2 channel source" project type option. Start with "Small Club" and see if you like it. You won't fit 91 songs but it's a poor mans conversion to surround. I wouldn't use it on live recordings but it's interesting on most rock, jazz and instrumental. Not sure about over-produced pop though.

Polobunny - Give the GUI a whirl. Are you planning to run any DSP processing on your tablet? Viper4A is awesome but can be a pain to set up + you need to be rooted. This is the XDA thread [APP] Official ViPER4Android Audio Effects| XDA Forums Cyanogenmod has some interesting DSP in it too.
Hey Adobeman, thanks for taking the time. I might just do that and give it a whirl and try your Adobinizer.

Yes I do plan on running a DSP on the tablet (I'll probably be running a custom rom to be more usable in the car too).
I currently run Viper4Android on my Galaxy S3 with a convolver setup for my monoprice 9927s that I use in the gym to make them sound more bassy + slight left channel pan because I don't hear as well on the left side as the right side. Definitely know how to work this thing.

CM DSP is alright for basic operation but nowhere near as complete as Viper4Android. Not sure how I lived with the later for so long...
Old 03-06-2015, 04:13 PM
Intermediate

What exactly is your Adobinizer supposed to do? Increase the quality of the music?
Old 03-06-2015, 06:39 PM
Registered Bunny

What exactly is your Adobinizer supposed to do? Increase the quality of the music?
"The Adobinizer" - Adobeman's 2.0 to 5.1 Audio Converter for DVD-A

What do you think it does?
Old 08-06-2017, 09:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just visiting this thread in the future, and saying that the GUI works great with.... Windows 7.

I wasn't able to get it running on Windows 10, the mkisofs process which creates the image file crashes as soon as it starts. But it is able to create a DVD Structure, which I think you could technically burn... but I wasn't going to take that chance. I took my Windows 7 machine, ran this process without a hitch. The only thing is that some of my tracks came with a sample rate of 48000 instead of a more normal 44100, I found this kept error-ing me out.

Once I reprocessed the tracks to the lower sample rate of 44100, it went without a hitch. Maybe I'll play around with mkisofs to see if I can get it running on Windows 10, but just in case anyone stumbles across this thread and was wondering what they need to get it running.

Just took my old Win 7 machine, installed Adobeman's program, installed .NET Framework 1.1 from the Microsoft site. Converted by .mp3s with CDex to WAV, and loaded them into DVDA-GUI. That's where I noticed the sample rate inconsistencies, ran the problem files through Audacity to downsample them to 44100 (which is as easy as 1..2..3...), and boom it went without a hitch.

Thanks again Adobeman... wherever you are now.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:27 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why are the links not working in this thread? I know its old, but I'd like to make dvd-a disc. Please help a newb.....
Old 04-13-2018, 09:50 AM
Registered Bunny

Originally Posted by pepe lepew
why are the links not working in this thread? I know its old, but I'd like to make dvd-a disc. Please help a newb.....
Here's v1.5
https://ufile.io/j093h
Old 01-13-2019, 10:23 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump for a copy of the DVD-A GUI EXE file please!
if someone can share it with me I can host it for download
Old 01-14-2019, 10:45 AM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can anyone host the app please?. Just purchased my TL and so I am new to the dvd-a format
Old 01-20-2019, 06:01 PM
Instructor

Sorry guys... would love to help. Still driving the 2006 TL here. After 12 years, just realized I didn't save a copy of the EXE myself. Always relied on the download link in this thread. Guess I need a copy of the EXE as well. LoL

Cheers!
Old 01-27-2019, 02:05 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

So I have no idea if this will work anymore. My guess is it won't. The last OS I think it worked on was Windows 8 and it's six years since I last touched it. But if you are game for trying you can find it here https://rdhsoftware.com/dvda/
Let me know how it goes but it is as-is, no support for it anymore. To busy with my day job and My Elevation to really look at DVD-A stuff.

The following users liked this post:
mamamilk008 (01-28-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 03:16 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
If Adobeman's software doesn't work for you, try Cirlinca's HD-Audio Solo Ultra if you don't mind paying for software. Still works fine for me on Windows 7 Professional, although I don't burn very many DVD-A discs these days.
The following users liked this post:
mamamilk008 (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 08:58 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

So I have no idea if this will work anymore. My guess is it won't. The last OS I think it worked on was Windows 8 and it's six years since I last touched it. But if you are game for trying you can find it here https://rdhsoftware.com/dvda/
Let me know how it goes but it is as-is, no support for it anymore. To busy with my day job and My Elevation to really look at DVD-A stuff.
wow nice to see your post Adobeman! THANK YOU very much for the link. Downloaded saved a copy. I have not burnt any DVD-A discs for a long time as well.

Nice to see what you have been brewing. Hope Elevation will do well.

Cheers!
jack