HandsFree Link - 15 RDX Tech

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 10:57 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down HandsFree Link - 15 RDX Tech

I bought the '15 Tech back in May '15.

I have had nothing but crap from the HandsFree Link. It goes "unable to...while busy" frequently.

The latest is that it got stuck with a Samsung Note 3 showing all the TXT msgs, speed dials, history etc when the phone had not been even within a mile of the vehicle (I have a BBerry Z30 and the Samsung is a friends who hasn't been near the RDX in a week). I couldn't clear it even in Park. I had to shut down the RDX, disconnect and then manually connect the Z30.

This Phone section is a POS.

Anyone have a newer firmware that has been installed?
Old 10-28-2015, 10:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like either a bad HFL module or perhaps even the entire Nav computer stack (hopefully not). My sister's '15 Tech (Mfg: 9/'14, Purchased: 12/'14) doesn't have any of these problems. I humbly suggest getting this fixed via warranty, as it should definitely cover issues like yours.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also bought the '15 Tech back in May '15.

Similar issues to visiter555. Also can't use voice to scroll down phone list, making using the handsfreelink pretty much useless while driving - can only scroll next page when vehicle is stopped using the scroll button.

Only thing worse is the nav system. In "unverified area" in the middle of the city on a main drag that has been around for over 100 years, and map is about 5 years out of date. I still use the Garmin for nav, at least it works and is current.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:39 PM
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
See this thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b...roblem-927764/

Complain to your dealer, Call Acura and complain. The more of us complain, the more likely a fix will come some day.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:20 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Evidently there is some sort of update to the firmware. Computerperson was having it done today and let's see what he has to say about it.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:31 PM
Racer

Interesting - please keep us posted! See if you can get a TSB number from the technician if possible.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:32 PM
Intermediate

A firmware update was done for NAV, Idle Control, and HFL. Sorry I have no TSB, just that the updates were available (Jan. 2015 mfg date)

On the positive side, the NAV update seems to have resolvedthe “unverified area” voice messages, at least in the areas I have travelled so far. I have not verified the extent of any map updates other than this.

With the RDX stopped and in Drive, the idle speed seems to be about 100 RPM higher (now at about 1700 rpm)than before, and some noticeable engine vibration felt in the steering wheel seems very much subdued; just note that this may also be dependent on other various parameters, such as engine and ambient temperature so I am not sure if the firmware update was responsible for this or if it will be maintained under other operating conditions. Just an observation on the drive home.

On the HFL, the system still stalls on scrolling the phonebook with voice commands while in motion. With some experimentation, results are quite odd.

I have a fairly extensive phone book, about 200 entries.

When I open the phone book (on the A-E tab), I can voice scroll up and down for the first 3 screen fulls only.

This brings me the last “A” of the entries and the first couple of “B”entries, but not beyond that. So I cannot access any further entry beginning with “B”, “C”, or “D” unless the vehicle is stopped (when both manual and voice commands work).

When in motion, voice commands can change phone book tabs (A-E, F-J, K-O, P-T, V-Z and "More").

On the F-J tab I can only scroll 1 screen full of entries. I cannot get to any entry beginning with G, H or I with the voice commands with the vehicle in motion. The other tabs do not scroll entries at all (again unless the vehicle is stopped).

When listening to the HDD, I can use voice commands to scroll through all the tracks and albums with no issue.

I have not done extensive testing on the available voice commands in the entire, system, but the HFL issue I was originally concerned about still does not work properly, and the HFL is not functional for me for making outgoing calls from the phone book while the vehicle is in motion, whether using the voice commands or manual method.

I have asked Acura to research and advise when this defect will be fixed.

Last edited by computerperson; 03-30-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:14 AM
Racer

That is exactly how my HFL behaves now, without any updates. Too bad they didn't fix it with the update. I find it easier just to press a button on the phone directly and use Cortana to dial anyone I want. All sound and mic still goes through HFL.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:56 PM
Intermediate

I have found more anomalies in the HFL system (Call History for example) where some screens can be voice scrolled, some can not. And those that can not do not allow an audible readout of the phone number, nor can you scroll manually as screen, or part of a screen is greyed out. So to select an entry while in motion, you have to read a list of phone numbers, find the index number of the one you want to call, press the voice button on the steering wheel and say the index number and complete the call from the ditch.

This is so sad and dangerous, I can't believe Acrua has not repaired this defect yet.