Severe hesitation...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 12:58 PM
SwaxStar33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Severe hesitation...

Last night as I was leaving work and accelerated from a red light into traffic, my foot almost went to the floor with ZERO response from the engine. It lasted a second or two, and then the car drove like normal. Anyone else experienced this issue? It was cold here last night, and I know how finicky these cars can be after a cold start. Thanks!
Old 11-22-2016, 12:59 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
What car do you have? what year?
Old 11-22-2016, 01:01 PM
SwaxStar33

Sorry...2015 TLX
Old 11-22-2016, 01:06 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Model? If you have auto idle stop sometimes it takes a second to "catch". Specially if you go quickly from break to gas pedal.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:06 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by SwaxStar33
Sorry...2015 TLX
no worries, I was just wondering if you were in the correct sub-section.

Have you done any of the computer/software updates for the transmission ?
Old 11-22-2016, 01:14 PM
SwaxStar33

I've only had the car about 4 months and I personally have not done any transmission updates. It's only got 9k miles if it matters, and it's a 3.5, not the AWD version though.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:12 PM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 2015 TLX v-6 Tech will do the same thing. I have never been able to make it happen on demand, but it seems to happen exactly as you describe in your post. Very disconcerting at times, especially when trying to get into traffic. I have gotten all the updates from the dealer and it continues to hesitate. Good luck with your problem and let us know if you solve it.

Tom
Old 11-22-2016, 04:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
I believe that this is how the ZF was programmed. Happened on all of the varieties of ZF9 that I test drove in 2015. Some have reported that software updates helped with the lag but others still have the problem. This was my number one complaint with the ZF9....my commute requires a transmission that responds immediately (like my 3G). Good luck.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:03 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
I don't believe any of the software updates will solve this issue, but I'm unsure if they make them "better". They may. I haven't gotten the latest release of TSB 15-040, however, will attempt it in the next week or two. Without the latest revision of that specific TSB, I experience hesitation or slow acceleration with similar pedal travel throughout my driving day. It seems to be worse in the morning when the car is "cold". By "cold" I don't mean it's 20 degrees outside... just that the car hasn't warmed up. I'm unsure if that's the reason. I've also had about 4 or 5 times throughout the year this year where when backing the car out of a parking space or my garage, I put the car in drive and accelerate. The car goes nowhere for about a second or two. Of course, my initial reaction was to press the accelerator harder, but after about 2-3 seconds, it "exploded" forward. In about 2-3 of those situations, I either nearly hit a parked car or went through my fence, but caught the car just in time. I don't push the accelerator harder anymore. I just take my foot off the gas and apply again or just ... wait. I suggest you be careful if trying to accelerate into traffic or across traffic. The transmission is still unpredictable at times. I'd say for me, this hesitation only happens maybe 5% of the time if even that, but when it happens, it'll scare the crap out of you.

You should check out some of the TSB's int the following thread which is part of a stickied thread in the main forum for the TLX and see if any of the fixes apply to you. Note that many may have already been applied to your car already : https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-g...letins-914607/
Old 11-22-2016, 11:13 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
There were 2 versions of the 9-speed on the V-6's in 2015. Do you know which you have? You probably bought the car used, the first owner may have had the transmission updated with either software updates or completely replaced. Do you know which applies to your car?

Were you at a complete stop? Or just slowed to ALMOST a stop and then back on the gas? I suspect you had slowed to a near-stop and then back on the gas. That hesitation happens a lot under these conditions. The transmission has not finished downshifting and isn't ready to respond to the 'go' pedal. Drives me up the ^%$#! wall. But if I have been at a full stop for 1-2 seconds it won't do this. The same thing can happen when you slow to turn left across traffic and you haven't come to a full stop. You step on the gas to hit a gap in traffic and the car doesn't go. Not only is this really annoying, but can be dangerous. You have been warned.

Should have come here before you bought a 2015 TLX.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:49 PM
SwaxStar33

Would a sprint booster help with this issue?
Old 11-24-2016, 09:59 AM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
No! All the sprint booster does is gives more pedal input to the computer, you said you went to the floor with it and had ZERO response so it wont help you. You need to have the latest TSB done to your car, if that still does not help you need to hard press the dealer to replace the transmission. That's the only way this problem will get fixed for you.

Last edited by alpha2beta; 11-24-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:45 PM
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
There were 2 versions of the 9-speed on the V-6's in 2015. Do you know which you have? You probably bought the car used, the first owner may have had the transmission updated with either software updates or completely replaced. Do you know which applies to your car?

Were you at a complete stop? Or just slowed to ALMOST a stop and then back on the gas? I suspect you had slowed to a near-stop and then back on the gas. That hesitation happens a lot under these conditions. The transmission has not finished downshifting and isn't ready to respond to the 'go' pedal. Drives me up the ^%$#! wall. But if I have been at a full stop for 1-2 seconds it won't do this. The same thing can happen when you slow to turn left across traffic and you haven't come to a full stop. You step on the gas to hit a gap in traffic and the car doesn't go. Not only is this really annoying, but can be dangerous. You have been warned.

Should have come here before you bought a 2015 TLX.
Regarding the almost or very brief stop - I have the hesitation occur - mostly at a 4-way stop in a rural setting - I do stop but only momentarily and I often get a hesitation/jerk getting back on the gas. If I come to a complete stop to wait for cross traffic, resuming movement is very consistent and predictable.

I make left turns into two-lane, 55 mph traffic and make slow right turns into 55 mph traffic as well. Both of these can be a challenge - either with how quickly the shift out of 1st gear occurs (and won't downshift back into first) or the lag and need to floor it to accelerate when merging into limited openings. The perfect fix for me - knowing these situations is to switch to Sport+ mode - this has resolve all of my merging and turning into traffic issues. I always use Sport mode so it is a quick bump of the button to get to Sport+. Sport+ is too abrupt for most situations but great when you know you may need to 'kick it' in a variety of situations. Since I drive a manual transmission frequently, anticipating situational needs is not a burden and has made my commute much more enjoyable!!