9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 11:53 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Welp ... 3rd dealer and 3rd strikeout. My transmission is still behaving normally. They did perform yet another ECM/PCM reset (about the 3rd or 4th one, I think now, by 2 different dealers. They also did another idle relearn). Everything is working normally and as Acura intended, but as I was discussing the problems I've had even after numerous updates with the service advisor, another service advisor chimed in that another software update is coming ... hilarious. Everything is working normally, but what the hell, we're going to bring out another software update to make them work even "more normal", The tech's writeup explained away my issues as being "normal" but the other service advisor is apparently saying there's a software update coming to fix these normal issues. Slacura is a flipping circus.
The following users liked this post:
pyrodan007 (01-06-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 08:58 AM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
^ Holy cow - I can't believe they are not helping you out by now. Good luck with your impending replacement car shopping.

I can't believe Acura can say this stuff with a straight face.

It's normal - but we have this SW update to try
It's normal - but here's a re-learn procedure to try
It's normal - but here's a new transmission with a HW change
It's normal - but here's more SW updates to try, even though we know it's not a problem that software can fix
It's normal - even though Consumer Reports rates the car and the transmission as "poor reliability"

I guess "garbage" is the new normal for Acura.

They had this great moment 10 years ago where the TSX and the TL were really great cars to own. Seems like they peaked in 06-09, and have been slowing driving the brand into the ground ever since.
pyrodan007 (01-06-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 03:01 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I just joined this forum today. I learned to drive stick on a 77 Civic and I owned a number of Honda / Acura products over the years. Near the beginning of my career, I gave my notice at GM where I worked as an engineer and then parked a Honda in the salary parking lot for the next few weeks before I left. Ummm, can't say that was well received. Though I was working at GM, I was working entirely with the Japanese and realized they really understood how to make a quality product. I continued to buy Honda's and Acuras. I loved the fact that even an appliance like a Honda Odyssey was still tossable, fun to drive and always reliable. My 2015 TLX has wrecked all of that. The frickin' ZF 9 speed is an disgrace. I've had the software update 3 times and though the hard shifts are gone, the "oh my gawd, I'm stepping on the gas and my stupid car is not moving problem" still exists. My wife's 2010 Odyssey needs to be replaced soon and I was considering an MDX, but it to has the dreaded ZF 9 speed. The new Pilot looks good and as long as you stay away from the Touring addition you get a regular 6 speed. However, why should I reward Honda/Acura with a sale after this poop.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dolcevita:
1Louder (01-07-2017), pyrodan007 (01-06-2017), weather (01-09-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 06:26 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by Dolcevita
..... However, why should I reward Honda/Acura with a sale after this poop.
You definitely should not!!! Please buy another brand of car.
weather (01-09-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 01:21 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
I just joined this forum today. I learned to drive stick on a 77 Civic and I owned a number of Honda / Acura products over the years. Near the beginning of my career, I gave my notice at GM where I worked as an engineer and then parked a Honda in the salary parking lot for the next few weeks before I left. Ummm, can't say that was well received. Though I was working at GM, I was working entirely with the Japanese and realized they really understood how to make a quality product. I continued to buy Honda's and Acuras. I loved the fact that even an appliance like a Honda Odyssey was still tossable, fun to drive and always reliable. My 2015 TLX has wrecked all of that. The frickin' ZF 9 speed is an disgrace. I've had the software update 3 times and though the hard shifts are gone, the "oh my gawd, I'm stepping on the gas and my stupid car is not moving problem" still exists. My wife's 2010 Odyssey needs to be replaced soon and I was considering an MDX, but it to has the dreaded ZF 9 speed. The new Pilot looks good and as long as you stay away from the Touring addition you get a regular 6 speed. However, why should I reward Honda/Acura with a sale after this poop.
Thanks for the post. You've reacted the same way most of us have to the TLX. I had a 15 as well I got out of back in August. I'm a long time Honda/Acura owner dating back to 2002 (Civic, Pilot, MDX x2, RDX, TSX, TLX).

On the MDX, last March we needed to upsize our 12 RDX (too small). We eventually went with a gently used 14 MDX Tech (has the 6 speed). I think the 15 brought in the ZF-9 speed, which we intentionally avoided. While I was on the fence about "rewarding" Honda/Acura with another purchase, we did own an 06 MDX followed by the 12 RDX and honestly loved them both. The 14 MDX with the 6 speed was a great find (only had like 8K miles on it), and I've nothing bad to say about it. It's my wife's car, and she didn't share my new-found apathy for the brand. The MDX is a perfect fit for what she needs, gives us the space we want, so all in all I was OK with it. However she did let me win the "avoid the 9-speed at all costs" argument which is why we were shopping for 14's and also crossed off the Pilot Touring. The SUVs are still highly rated by Consumer Reports. Where I made my statement was with my car - I took my lumps and traded out of my lease about half way through and got a 2016 Lexus IS200t. I love that car. It's not a rocket (get the 300 for speed), but it's a go-cart when it comes to handling. Nicely appointed, and shifts are buttery smooth. If the IS turns out to be a good long-term experience (I usually own 6-9 years), I'm probably firmly in the Lexus camp now.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:05 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Welp ... 3rd dealer and 3rd strikeout. My transmission is still behaving normally. They did perform yet another ECM/PCM reset (about the 3rd or 4th one, I think now, by 2 different dealers. They also did another idle relearn). Everything is working normally and as Acura intended, but as I was discussing the problems I've had even after numerous updates with the service advisor, another service advisor chimed in that another software update is coming ... hilarious. Everything is working normally, but what the hell, we're going to bring out another software update to make them work even "more normal", The tech's writeup explained away my issues as being "normal" but the other service advisor is apparently saying there's a software update coming to fix these normal issues. Slacura is a flipping circus.
That software update is already out. It came out in early Dec. I had the update done on my 15 TLX Advance just before Christmas. I haven't driven it much since I've been under the weather for some time. It does seem to shift marginally better, but if history is any guide it gets worse after a few hundred miles so I'm holding off on whether this is better or not. My Service Adviser told me the same thing, that my car behaving normally and this software update is the only thing Acura will do for me. So while they tell their customers all is normal, they have updated the software 3 or 4 times now.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:28 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
That software update is already out. It came out in early Dec. I had the update done on my 15 TLX Advance just before Christmas. I haven't driven it much since I've been under the weather for some time. It does seem to shift marginally better, but if history is any guide it gets worse after a few hundred miles so I'm holding off on whether this is better or not. My Service Adviser told me the same thing, that my car behaving normally and this software update is the only thing Acura will do for me. So while they tell their customers all is normal, they have updated the software 3 or 4 times now.
is there a new TSB posted for this?
Old 01-09-2017, 02:01 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok so something strange happened. I dropped off my car for an A1 service and as usual did mention the hard shift (keeping track of all requests so incase there is a lawsuit )
They updated my car with 06-012 TSB. Thats strange because my vin doesnt qualify for this TSB. My vin ends with 2278 and is way below TSB cutoff of 7xxx for AWD transmissions.

So now if this causes a transmission failure, can I actually hold Acura accountable? or did something change with the 06-012 TSB?
Old 01-09-2017, 07:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Louder
I guess "garbage" is the new normal for Acura.
...at least it is consistent with the caliber of management/design teams

Last edited by weather; 01-09-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:26 PM
Drifting

I wonder if it's another update since this was in January that he said one was coming? Who knows.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:36 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by Robs252
is there a new TSB posted for this?
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-012.PDF

courtesy of EE4Life. Note the revision number

Originally Posted by kkannr
Ok so something strange happened. I dropped off my car for an A1 service and as usual did mention the hard shift (keeping track of all requests so incase there is a lawsuit )
They updated my car with 06-012 TSB. Thats strange because my vin doesnt qualify for this TSB. My vin ends with 2278 and is way below TSB cutoff of 7xxx for AWD transmissions.

So now if this causes a transmission failure, can I actually hold Acura accountable? or did something change with the 06-012 TSB?
They may have just put the wrong code on your work order. I doubt their HDS would allow the wrong software to be installed... nor would it run. I suspect the two transmissions have different ECUs,

I wonder if it's another update since this was in January that he said one was coming? Who knows.
The Dec update is probably still new enough that they may not know they have it. Updates seem to come many months apart. But hopefully they don't stop trying to make this transmission (that behaved normally) work properly.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:51 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got a call today from the dealer advising of an "open recall" on my 2015 FWD TLX. She said it was a software update that was designed to address the shifting problems. Will have it done on Friday, and hope that it improves the atrocious 2-3 shift.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:02 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by jlstx
Just got a call today from the dealer advising of an "open recall" on my 2015 FWD TLX. She said it was a software update that was designed to address the shifting problems. Will have it done on Friday, and hope that it improves the atrocious 2-3 shift.
That is promising as I'm dreading the battle (just don't have the energy) of bringing my car back in again just for them to tell me it's "normal"; that it doesn't register a substantial 'jerk' when shifting -- enough to substantiate it with Acura HQ. Do you have any specifics about the recall? i.e. a number or what it's called???

I have a '15 V6 TLX tech which I just bought a few months ago as a CPO.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Is it me or this damn tranny shifts worse (more laggy) in colder weather. Last 2 weeks I am really hating this tranny more than usual.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:57 PM
Drifting

The only recalls that are transmission-related that I know are the one for the potential sensor crimp failure and the potential parking pawl failure.
You can check recalls here : Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Acura Owners Site
Old 01-11-2017, 07:59 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by KeithL
Is it me or this damn tranny shifts worse (more laggy) in colder weather. Last 2 weeks I am really hating this tranny more than usual.
I've seen the shifting get worse and better in warmer and colder temps. But the shifting seems worse when the car is just started.... I think. Hell, I don't know anymore. I just tend to leave it at "the transmission sucks".
Old 01-12-2017, 05:17 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does your VIN fall within the range mentioned in SB 16-012 (December 1)?
Old 01-12-2017, 09:53 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by nhester
Does your VIN fall within the range mentioned in SB 16-012 (December 1)?
No, mine is a much earlier VIN.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:40 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Keep us posted on what they do. I have the same vintage and have not seen any new updates.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:59 PM
Summer is Coming

If you fall into the earlier TSB then you are eligible for a transmission replacement. Track down the TSB and read it carefully. If you get the software updated, and after 500 miles the behavior is not fixed, you can get a replacement transmission. But this is largely up to the personalities in your service department and the regional rep that makes the final call. While they updated the TSB to include this tranny replacement, it is still the luck of the draw on who handles your case.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:44 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I just picked up a 2015 V6 TLX from an out of state dealer, having been made aware of the transmission issues noted in this thread. I'm having the exact same problems you all mentioned. I'm blown away that Acura would put out a car with such a poor performing transmission in what's their best selling sedan. The car is a CPO with 30K miles so I have an appointment on Tuesday to have it addressed with my local dealer.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:46 AM
10th Gear

If you fall into the earlier TSB then you are eligible for a transmission replacement. Track down the TSB and read it carefully. If you get the software updated, and after 500 miles the behavior is not fixed, you can get a replacement transmission. But this is largely up to the personalities in your service department and the regional rep that makes the final call. While they updated the TSB to include this tranny replacement, it is still the luck of the draw on who handles your case.
It turns out that the dealer wanted to do the TSB 16-075 fix, but I also asked them do the TSB 15-040. However, they only did the 16-075, as it says to perform only that update. I did notice that the software versions listed in 16-075 are later ones than those referred to in 15-040, so it may be that they performed that same tasks outlined in 15-040 only with later software versions. Although there is no mention of replacing the transmission in 16-075, it doesn't state that it superseded 15-040 so I'm going to insist on a new tranny if it's still misbehaving after 500 miles.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:46 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
16-075 addresses a totally different problem than 15-040. But as you note, it brings the software up to the same level. So if they also did an "idle-relearn" they did in effect do the 15-040 process. If not you should ask them to do so and start your 500 mile journey. For me the process made the transmission acceptable. There are some instances of a rough shift and mostly I notice the shift but it is really no different from the MDX 6 speed shifting of the loaner I got. The rough shifts are related to quick startups, specially if Idle stop has engaged. I really expect that if I had not endured the pre 15-040 v4 problems I would not pay any attention to the ones that are left.

Last edited by EE4Life; 01-19-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:13 PM
Summer is Coming

It turns out that the dealer wanted to do the TSB 16-075 fix, but I also asked them do the TSB 15-040. However, they only did the 16-075, as it says to perform only that update. I did notice that the software versions listed in 16-075 are later ones than those referred to in 15-040, so it may be that they performed that same tasks outlined in 15-040 only with later software versions. Although there is no mention of replacing the transmission in 16-075, it doesn't state that it superseded 15-040 so I'm going to insist on a new tranny if it's still misbehaving after 500 miles.
TSB 15-040: http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B15-040.PDF - Transmission hard shift
TSB 16-075: http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-075.PDF - Transmission Crimp
TSB 16-012: http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-012.PDF - Transmission shift improvements for later VINs

16-075 has nothing to do with the transmission hard shift. 15-040 is the early VIN hardshift TSB that includes a possible transmission replacement. They are unrelated. Of course they don't want to do this TSB since you could wind up with a new transmission. They are counting on you not knowing what you are asking for and hope you will go away. Read the TSBs. Then go back, or find a new dealership. Unless your service record said you had 15-040 done your 500 mile clock has not started. The service department knows what they are doing.... hoping you will go away. You have to get it documented. Print out the TSB and hand it to your service tech.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:32 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by JR_Rider
I just picked up a 2015 V6 TLX from an out of state dealer, having been made aware of the transmission issues noted in this thread. I'm having the exact same problems you all mentioned. I'm blown away that Acura would put out a car with such a poor performing transmission in what's their best selling sedan. The car is a CPO with 30K miles so I have an appointment on Tuesday to have it addressed with my local dealer.
@JR_Rider -- I did the exact same thing as you, I bought a white 2015 CPO with a couple thousand miles on it because my wife wanted wife. I have taken to a local dealer here and had the software updated; I have now done well over 500+ miles and go back this Wed. I also made sure to call Acura corporate to log my complaint. Bottom line is that this transmission is not smooth at all and they need to do something about it.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by ruler1577
@JR_Rider -- I did the exact same thing as you, I bought a white 2015 CPO with a couple thousand miles on it because my wife wanted wife. I have taken to a local dealer here and had the software updated; I have now done well over 500+ miles and go back this Wed. I also made sure to call Acura corporate to log my complaint. Bottom line is that this transmission is not smooth at all and they need to do something about it.
I saw some forum members say that the number of complaints for TLX issues is starting to die down. I think it'll start happening again as a phase two since the CPOs are now starting to show up and people will start to experience it for the first time ... and more Acura denials again
Old 01-19-2017, 03:28 PM
Cruisin'

I'm taking my 2015 SH-AWD in soon to be reviewed by the head mechanic at the dealer. The idea is to take him for a road test so he can see the hesitation problem. As most of you on here know, the issue is intermittent and cannot be triggered easily on demand. It usually occurs when you have decelerated for a stop sign or red light and then proceed to make a turn in the next few seconds. You step on the gas and nothing happens for approximately 2 seconds. Any thoughts on a sure fire way to demonstrate the problem?
Old 01-19-2017, 06:15 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm taking my 2015 SH-AWD in soon to be reviewed by the head mechanic at the dealer. The idea is to take him for a road test so he can see the hesitation problem. As most of you on here know, the issue is intermittent and cannot be triggered easily on demand. It usually occurs when you have decelerated for a stop sign or red light and then proceed to make a turn in the next few seconds. You step on the gas and nothing happens for approximately 2 seconds. Any thoughts on a sure fire way to demonstrate the problem?
Wow. my car has never done this.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:57 PM
Drifting

This used to always happen to me in the mornings when leaving my subdivision and making a right turn... more than likely because the transmission/car was cold or the voodoo software was just waking up. lol. I have experienced it after the car has warmed up, but not as frequently, and almost always when I tried a right turn. Nowadays, the hesitation has just turned into sluggish acceleration in the mornings and the hesitation itself has appeared after going from reverse to drive but only a handful of times this year. I took it to a 3rd dealership and, of course, they couldn't duplicate it. Hopefully you have better luck.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:39 AM
Cruisin'

This used to always happen to me in the mornings when leaving my subdivision and making a right turn... more than likely because the transmission/car was cold or the voodoo software was just waking up. lol. I have experienced it after the car has warmed up, but not as frequently, and almost always when I tried a right turn. Nowadays, the hesitation has just turned into sluggish acceleration in the mornings and the hesitation itself has appeared after going from reverse to drive but only a handful of times this year. I took it to a 3rd dealership and, of course, they couldn't duplicate it. Hopefully you have better luck.
My experience has been the same. The problem always shows up when I make my first right turn out of my development in the morning. It also does it on my way home in the evening when I make a right turn. It has occurred after the car is warmed up, but not nearly as often. If I can't show the dealer, then I may use a camera to monitor the throttle while I drive. One way or the other I'm going to prove it happens.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:11 PM
Drifting

The reverse-to-drive pause and then sudden engagement into drive just happened today when leaving work. I remembered not to press the gas pedal again or risk running into another parked car in the parking garage. Ah well, it's all "normal".
Old 01-21-2017, 01:29 PM
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts
Rocketsfan, I haven't even mentioned that issue because it happens infrequently and I don't know how to duplicate it, but it is very unnerving! When it happened I would tell my wife I literally have it floored right now as the car sits impotent with low revs and no gear, 1 mississippi, 2 mississippi, 3 mississippi, GO. Yet another reason I willingly decided to lose money on this TLX.

My new 340i xDrive has been a dream to drive.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:37 PM
Cruisin'

My experience has been the same. The problem always shows up when I make my first right turn out of my development in the morning. It also does it on my way home in the evening when I make a right turn. It has occurred after the car is warmed up, but not nearly as often. If I can't show the dealer, then I may use a camera to monitor the throttle while I drive. One way or the other I'm going to prove it happens.
I had my car in yesterday. I had a long chat with the chief mechanic about the hesitation problem. Great guy with 20 years experience. He did a reset procedure on the car and possibly loaded a software update since that was shown on the work order notes. I didn't get a chance to speak with him before I left, so I'm not sure if the software was really updated. Anyhow, now I'll see what happens. The foot to the floor and no response problem is a big issue. I've had other cars bearing down on me while I wait for my TLX to figure out of if it should go or not.

As a side note, last time I was in with the same problem I took a look at the new NSX with the service tech. I told him it would be great but I certainly hoped it didn't have issues like the TLX.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:10 PM
Summer is Coming

I had my car in yesterday. I had a long chat with the chief mechanic about the hesitation problem. Great guy with 20 years experience. He did a reset procedure on the car and possibly loaded a software update since that was shown on the work order notes. I didn't get a chance to speak with him before I left, so I'm not sure if the software was really updated. Anyhow, now I'll see what happens. The foot to the floor and no response problem is a big issue. I've had other cars bearing down on me while I wait for my TLX to figure out of if it should go or not.

As a side note, last time I was in with the same problem I took a look at the new NSX with the service tech. I told him it would be great but I certainly hoped it didn't have issues like the TLX.
Give it 500 miles because the transmission behavior will change over that period of time. When I got this latest software it drove a little better and the low speed hesitation seemed marginally better. Now I feel it is coming back. I still have the surging on downshifts. That is one of the problems this update was supposed to address.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:27 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I watched these two videos, and I couldn't help but think of this particular thread. This is how it works:

PART 1:
PART 2:
Old 03-02-2017, 05:45 PM
Racer

I came across what looks to be the official ZF video for the 9 speed tranny:
9SpeedTran (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 11:38 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Funny, I have almost 45K miles and probably close to 10K now on the new transmission, and just recently I caught myself noticing how smooth and effortlessly powerful the drivetrain on the car is. I recently punched it from a standing start on a wet road and rocketed smoothly to 60 with no slip and smoked the dude beside me. It downshifts quickly too. Really happy with it.
a35tl (03-17-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 12:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
Funny, I have almost 45K miles and probably close to 10K now on the new transmission, and just recently I caught myself noticing how smooth and effortlessly powerful the drivetrain on the car is. I recently punched it from a standing start on a wet road and rocketed smoothly to 60 with no slip and smoked the dude beside me. It downshifts quickly too. Really happy with it.
I think the TLX is faster than people give it credit for, and it's relatively easy on the MPG.

If the transmission works as designed, it's really an ingenious and compact design.
a35tl (03-17-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 08:21 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by rocket_pup
I think the TLX is faster than people give it credit for, and it's relatively easy on the MPG.

If the transmission works as designed, it's really an ingenious and compact design.
And that "if" is why this thread exists...
pyrodan007 (03-09-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 02:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I just wanted come back and say that I LOVE my 2015 TLX V6 SH-AWD now! The car is now what I expected in the beginning. I honestly never thought I would say that. With the vibration resolved by new sub-frame bushings and original hard-shifting tranny replaced, I am now very happy with my ride!!! (The new tranny seems better every 1,000 miles.) Luxurious and right for either economy, comfort, fun, or performance.
The following 2 users liked this post by volmoon:
9SpeedTran (03-15-2017), a35tl (03-17-2017)

Quick Reply: 9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3