Cracked dashboard in '04 TL

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 06:54 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dash + airbags?????

I venture to pick yall brains. I wonder the reason Acura will not add the our car to the airbag recall is it will expose the problem with the dash. I cannot see how our TL would have a different airbag system(i say system) than most of the inventory.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:08 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pants on fire

I just sent Acura a quick message through Facebook because I will not have time to go to the dealer until next week. The response I got says that they have never heard of this issue before. Ever.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:49 AM

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts
Amazing.

It's time to get Consumerist/CU, Jalopnik, etc. on blast.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:19 AM
OCD

Received 126 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by aceyatc
I venture to pick yall brains. I wonder the reason Acura will not add the our car to the airbag recall is it will expose the problem with the dash. I cannot see how our TL would have a different airbag system(i say system) than most of the inventory.
I guarantee you the dash cracking on a 7-12 year old vehicle is not on their radar and certainly not a factor in the airbag recall.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (09-08-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 12:31 PM
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm looking into buying a used TL-S w/ 60K

Is this the beginning of the end?

Old 08-23-2016, 12:34 PM
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by whiteGSR

Sorry new user so I can't edit post. Hopefully this works:

Cracked dashboard in '04 TL-aflkz7d.jpg
Old 08-23-2016, 02:41 PM
Cruisin'

I have the same marking/wear on mine, and I was wondering the same thing. Just purchased an 07 TL-S with 64K.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:06 PM
Pro

Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Yeah I had that outline before mine eventually cracked in that same spot. I'm not sure of the time interval between when I first noticed the outline and when it actually cracked, but maybe you'll have better luck than I had. Not sure where you guys are located, but if you're expecting cold temps this fall and winter, keep an eye on it.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:19 AM
Cruisin'

Yes my 07 type s started by the airbag as a small crack and eventually grew to the windshield and almost to the front edge. I had enough and called Acura in which they referred me to my local dealership where I've dropped over 3k in warranty work on the same current vehicle. They offered me a good will option for 600. Leaning towards taking it since the cracking is horrible. My only concern is how long will it last going forward? I see some people had it done but haven't really confirmed if the replacement dash cracked again. I don't need anyone making assumptions I would like to hear from people who've actually replaced it and had to relive their horror all over again. Thanks everyone
Old 08-25-2016, 09:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Originally Posted by Medinak12
Yes my 07 type s started by the airbag as a small crack and eventually grew to the windshield and almost to the front edge. I had enough and called Acura in which they referred me to my local dealership where I've dropped over 3k in warranty work on the same current vehicle. They offered me a good will option for 600. Leaning towards taking it since the cracking is horrible. My only concern is how long will it last going forward? I see some people had it done but haven't really confirmed if the replacement dash cracked again. I don't need anyone making assumptions I would like to hear from people who've actually replaced it and had to relive their horror all over again. Thanks everyone
if it at bothers you that much, 600 is worth it..
Old 09-07-2016, 05:27 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been looking for a 2005-07 TL and I've noticed as they are getting older, I'm seeing more and more with dash warping and cracking.
I've also seen a lot of really nasty dirty and cracked leather driver seats.

Otherwise, I always thought this model TL interior was top notch, so shame to see such problems with the dash.

If I bought one that had cracks, I'm the kind of guy that would have it replaced by the dealer to make it like new again, however, I guess the bigger question is if Acura ever fixed the issue???

I'm wondering if we go and drop $900-1000 on replacing it, if it will only crack again eventually. I'm really hoping to hear that they updated their production process/materials and that the new dash will at least last longer, but I'm not sure anyone has ever confirmed that to be the case.

BTW, I've seen a lot of older Toyotas and Lexus cars (mainly the RX and larger SUV) that also had bad dash cracking issues. Some of them when they were only a few years old.
The other car I was looking at was an '02-04 Lexus IS300, and they had issues with the dash warping and getting sticky! Ewww.
Japanese are ahead in many areas, but wish they could learn to make better interiors.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:42 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by NSX_Lvr
Japanese are ahead in many areas, but wish they could learn to make better interiors.
If you think only the Japanese brands have these issues....you never spent much time around GM cars through the 90's and 2000's.
justnspace (12-01-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 07:52 AM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts

Not for me. My dash has been like that for years and still no cracking....
Old 09-08-2016, 02:24 PM
Instructor

Bigger question still remains... Did Acura ever fix the problem or are we just replacing to get some more crack free years, but it will inevitably happen again?
Old 09-08-2016, 02:33 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
my 2006 is still crack free (knock on motherfucking wood)

So, to answer your question NSX....it all depends on how the previous owner treated her. if left out in the sun and then brought back into cooler atmosphere, you will get an expanding and contracting dash. which then leads to cracking.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:47 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace

So, to answer your question NSX....it all depends on how the previous owner treated her. if left out in the sun and then brought back into cooler atmosphere, you will get an expanding and contracting dash. which then leads to cracking.
but your crack is not free of crabs
justnspace (12-01-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 06:30 PM
Cruisin'

Picked up my car a short time ago, with her brand new dashboard. It looks OK, although when I first got in, something just seemed "off" about it. I realized what it was when I drove out of the dark shady service department into the bright sunlight - the dash is a slightly different shade of black than the original. It's more of an "off black" than true black, but at this point, with a nine year old car, I'm not going to bitch about it. It's crack free and fits well, with a couple spots where it isn't quite flush with the item next to it (speaker), but it's really not a huge deal and I don't think anyone but me would even notice tiny details like that.

It ended up costing me $730 out of pocket.

I figured as long as it was in there, and they were hyping up their headlight refresh service, I'd tack that on. For $69.95, the headlights look like they are brand new - the difference is unbelievable. They also washed the car (poorly) and shined up the tires so it almost felt like I was driving away in a new car. It even had that new car smell - oh wait, that was the smell of whatever they wiped down the interior of the car with. lol. I know the headlight refresh cost was high compared to other places I could get it done, but doing it this way was just convenient.

So, I have my car back, until the next issue comes up. What will it be? Brakes? Transmission? Time will tell.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:37 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Jackass
If you think only the Japanese brands have these issues....you never spent much time around GM cars through the 90's and 2000's.
Word.

Don't forget about the 80's.

My first car ( my parents bought it for me when I went away to college) was a 1983 Buick Skylark. What a piece of crap that was. I drove it for almost four years until it had carburetor problems that couldn't be fixed even after spending over $2000. So, this poor starving barely out of college kid had to go buy a new car so I could actually get to my first job. I chose a cute little manual Nissan Sentra for around $8,500 and have never strayed from Japanese brands since then.

I love my Acura, and even if the dashboard wouldn't have been able to be replaced I'd have still kept it.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TexasKaren
Picked up my car a short time ago, with her brand new dashboard. It looks OK, although when I first got in, something just seemed "off" about it. I realized what it was when I drove out of the dark shady service department into the bright sunlight - the dash is a slightly different shade of black than the original. It's more of an "off black" than true black.
I wonder if it's not really a different color, or rather that over time it's changed from the original color to whatever it is now, and just looks different.

Can you take a pic of the dash and your door panel in the same shot?

I'd like to see how big the difference is. Maybe it is an updated material, hence the color change.
If it's slight, I guess it wouldn't be a big deal, but if it was much different I guess it would bother me, but "I'm that guy".
I'm sure I'm not the only one who's curious to see the difference. $730 installed is pretty good, IMHO. I think you got a good deal.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:24 PM
2nd Gear

Why no TB to fix these dash issues?

I live in Florida, but garage my car. I thought I was the only one with with a 2004 Acura TL with the problem but it looks like I have lots of company. I called the two dealers in Jacksonville, and no one has called me back. I guess with all the air bag problems the dash issues are the least of their problems. It started out as an outline of the air bag then a crack and now as you can see it is embarrassing. My 2009 Camry had a dash that turned gummy and they are replacing all of them. I am hoping Acura will step up to the plate. I have owned a lot of Honda, Acura, and Toyota autos, and this one seems to be a prime target of a TR(technical bulletin) or recall.
Attached Thumbnails Cracked dashboard in '04 TL-acura1.jpg   Cracked dashboard in '04 TL-acura2.jpg   Cracked dashboard in '04 TL-acura4.jpg  
Old 09-08-2016, 08:08 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace

And trust us, Crabman has cracked a few curbs and a tree and his dash is still, amazingly, crack free

Edit: Wait, I thought your airbag/s deployed? Am I getting your cars mixed up or was it just the driver's airbag that deployed?
Old 09-08-2016, 11:08 PM
Cruisin'

I wonder if it's not really a different color, or rather that over time it's changed from the original color to whatever it is now, and just looks different.

I'd like to see how big the difference is. Maybe it is an updated material, hence the color change.
If it's slight, I guess it wouldn't be a big deal, but if it was much different I guess it would bother me, but "I'm that guy".
I'm sure I'm not the only one who's curious to see the difference. $730 installed is pretty good, IMHO. I think you got a good deal.
I should be able to get a photo tomorrow. By the time you posted this, the sun was setting and I'd prefer to take a photo without having to use a flash. The color difference is subtle but definitely there. I wish I'd taken a before pic. I didn't bother because when telling my friends about the cracks, all I had to do was show them other photos in this thread. My cracks were identical so I didn't get a pic of my own car. Lol.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:09 AM
Instructor

I'm sure this is covered extensively in other threads, but are these cars affected by the Takata airbag recall? And, has that been an official recall by the dealers?
Old 09-09-2016, 09:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
no impact on our cars for the airbad recall
Old 09-09-2016, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
And trust us, Crabman has cracked a few curbs and a tree and his dash is still, amazingly, crack free

Edit: Wait, I thought your airbag/s deployed? Am I getting your cars mixed up or was it just the driver's airbag that deployed?
only drivers side.
I'll take a pic of it tonight...

and guise, I dont think the dash is black...
its like an off color dark grey..
Old 09-09-2016, 10:33 AM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
Originally Posted by grpetersen1
I live in Florida, but garage my car. I thought I was the only one with with a 2004 Acura TL with the problem but it looks like I have lots of company. I called the two dealers in Jacksonville, and no one has called me back. I guess with all the air bag problems the dash issues are the least of their problems. It started out as an outline of the air bag then a crack and now as you can see it is embarrassing. My 2009 Camry had a dash that turned gummy and they are replacing all of them. I am hoping Acura will step up to the plate. I have owned a lot of Honda, Acura, and Toyota autos, and this one seems to be a prime target of a TR(technical bulletin) or recall.
DAMN! plasti dip it...

Luckily my 06 dash is still MINT.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:01 PM
Cruisin'

This is the best I could do with a photo. The color difference isn't that big a deal, and I'm slowly getting used to it. I do however, need to clean the inside of my door. lol.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:05 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
This just happened to me over the past few days as well. On a whim I looked up some of the reps for the Toyota case and e-mailed them, and it sounds like they're interested, depending on whether or not there were warranties or extended warranties on this. Anyone have any info, and whether or not cracked dashboards of this era were only for TLs? The more info we have maybe we'll be able to build up more steam. The Toyota case is rolling back to 04 Lexii I think so maybe there still is hope.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TexasKaren
This is the best I could do with a photo. The color difference isn't that big a deal, and I'm slowly getting used to it. I do however, need to clean the inside of my door. lol.

Judging from the picture above, I'm guessing that the dash actually isn't a different color, but rather the other trim (door panels) have changed a little (darkened) over time and use. But, I might be wrong.

Again, has anyone confirmed if Acura has fixed the problem and that the replacement dash will go the distance?

I've seen lots of early 2000 Toyotas and Lexus that had almost the same sort of cracking.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:50 PM
Instructor

I just picked up an '05... Pretty decent car but has the infamous crack in the dash on the passenger side. Curious to know what others paid to have the dash replaced.... I'll probably just live with it, as this car is really just a commuter (hopefully a reliable one at that) to throw miles on. My daily commute is 90 miles a day, so I wasn't looking for perfection.

But, if I find I can get it replaced for $700 - 800 or somewhere in that neighborhood, I might spring for it.

If it's over $1,000... It will likely stay with a crack unless it gets much worse. For now it's just one crack.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:23 AM
Advanced

Look into into the cover lay dash cover. You will still know it's there but you won't have to look at daily on your drive to and from work haha

I just picked up an '05... Pretty decent car but has the infamous crack in the dash on the passenger side. Curious to know what others paid to have the dash replaced.... I'll probably just live with it, as this car is really just a commuter (hopefully a reliable one at that) to throw miles on. My daily commute is 90 miles a day, so I wasn't looking for perfection.

But, if I find I can get it replaced for $700 - 800 or somewhere in that neighborhood, I might spring for it.

If it's over $1,000... It will likely stay with a crack unless it gets much worse. For now it's just one crack.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:59 AM
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2004 TL dashboard cracks

I decided to find out if the cracks all over my dash are unique. They obviously are not. Logically thinking, a dashboard is in the sun, cold and hot weather and should be made to withstand mother nature. My neighbor has a 2004 Lexus and Toyota had a recall on hairline cracks and replaced his dashboard for free. Honda ought to do the same. If Honda will not support the products they make, even though it is only 12 years old, I may have to consider Toyota. I'm going to make waves but it sounds like in this forum it will be a waste of time.

John
Old 10-26-2016, 03:19 PM
4th Gear

Have the same issue on my 2004 TL.Crack around the passenger airbag and first noticed it this summer I'm the original owner and I called the dealer (Continental Acura). The rep said he only saw this issue once in 12 yrs and basically said I was sol. He estimated the cost to replace at $2000. Needless to say, very disappointed with ACURA. Dashboards should not be cracking,
Old 10-27-2016, 12:24 AM

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by bogey6
The rep said he only saw this issue once in 12 yrs
I'll take things that smell like bullshit for 200, Alex
Old 10-27-2016, 01:23 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Superunknown
I'll take things that smell like bullshit for 200, Alex
Totally agree. Just sent a nice note to Acura Corporate. I will let people know if I get anywhere even though I expect nothing will happen.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:39 PM
3rd Gear

Angry So frustrating

I know now after seeing this issue all over the Internet that I am definitely not the only one. There's even a Facebook page for cracked dashboard sufferers. Why doesn't Honda do something? I love my 06 TL but when these cracks started last month I was heart broken. Seems to happen mostly around 70k miles and that's right where I am. I'm only the second owner and it has always been garage kept. I am considering getting one of the dashboard covers. Have heard they look real nice. I just can't see paying the Acura dealer to fix something that they should fix for free.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:37 PM
4th Gear

I just sent pics of my cracked dashboard to acura client relations. Expecting a decision from them by next week. Will let everyone know of outcome.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:04 PM
4th Gear

Just got a call from Acura Corp. They confirmed that the dealer will pony up 50% of the cost. Total cost for me including taxes around $846. Have 30 days to make a decision. Other than this issue, my 2004 tl has been a great car. Not sure I want to go ahead with this given the cost.

Fyi - the dealer is Continental Acura her in Illinois
Old 12-01-2016, 02:09 PM

at this point and time, there are better ways to spend $850.
my dash is STILL crack free, but if it were to crack IM NOT PAYING that! lol

might as well get the dash cover for like 50 bucks and no one would be the wiser
Old 12-01-2016, 02:11 PM

unless you guise are hardcore detailist and or trying to put the car back to its original state, as a pristine not driveable car, its SILLY to spend anything over 100 to fix the dash, but thats just my opinion

Quick Reply: Cracked dashboard in '04 TL