Brake Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 12:29 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my new 2014 rdx on Thursday. I was driving next to a friend yesterday night and he told me that my car was making noise so I went in a parking lot I opened the windows closed the radio and heater. When I started to drive it was making a squealing noise. I tried this several times and it seems to squeal every time. I don't understand the problem the car has 50km on it and Im already hearing sqealing. Has anybody had this problem? What can it be? Breaks? Break in period?
Old 03-17-2014, 10:54 AM
10th Gear

Update! I brought my car to the dealership today and they found the squealing problem. There is a spring that holds the brake pad witch was slightly bent and it was touching the disc. This was causing the squealing. They fixed it right away and didn't take long but still annoying considering its a brand new car I picked up last Thursday.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:52 AM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Our 2014 RDX has more of a grinding noise than squeal at the rear brakes. It does this every time the brakes are cool. It doesn't matter if it rains, snows, or sunny. The rear rotors on my Jetta with 45,000 miles look better than our RDX with 4,500 miles. Just waiting to take it in for our 1st service to bring it up.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
brake squeal is cause by

1. rotors getting a slight layer of rust on them (this cannot be corrected) when car sits for long periods in humid weather (like overnight) first stop or so will take care of that. I just let foot off of the brake slightly to let the pads drag on rotors while backing out of parking space.

2. someone forgot to use ant seize on the brakes during assembly. Place it on the back of the shims and on the back of the pad that makes contact with the caliper. Problem solved.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:32 AM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, noticed very intermittent squealing and sometimes groaning on my 2014 FWD RDX Tech with 9,800 miles. This usually happens at low speeds such as when driving around parking lots. Have not inspected the brakes but it could be a pad glazing problem which is not serious just bothersome. Noticed the 2013 TSB posted here which indicates pad glazing as the source of the problem. The TSB calls for replacement of the front pads and return springs. Noticed on the TSB the pads part number was revised from 45022-TX4-A00 to 45022-TX4-A01. The part number currently quoted on Acura web sites is 45022-TX4-A02, which looks like a further revision and seems to at least confirm some kind of awareness about something. Honda engineers might be requesting a change to the composition of the lining. Based on past experience, this squealing was a common problem with semi-metallic pads which are more durable and have excellent heat transfer, but also wear down rotors faster, can be noisy, and may not perform optimally at low temperatures.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:32 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i had my wifes 2013 rdx in for service yesterday. i asked them to check brakes for a sometimes groaning noise ,thats more evident when coming down an incline. service rep first tried to get me to agree to a $130. charge for them to even investigate. once i told him no way. he had me test drive with mechanic. of coarse i couldnt duplicate the noise. but he pulled off wheels and said front pads need to be replaced and both front and rear rotors need to be resurfaced. i told him the car only has 15,000 miles its my wifes car and she is a light driver and easy braker. he said 15,000 miles is when they start to go. i wasnt buying that either. i told him about the service bulletin but when he checked my vin he said it doesnt apply to my car. im searching for pads on line and noticed 2 parts numbers for the same part. 45022tx4a01 and 45022tx4a02. so like the poster mentioned above more then likely its new and hopefully improved. im gonna call service manager today and have talk with him. not only that they wanted $130. to check it, but then did it for no charge, but that i feel the pads should last longer then 15,000 miles, and the service bulletin should be applied to my vehicle, although they claim it is not.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:37 AM
Advanced

update.....

yesterday before i called the service manager i checked my vin against vin numbers that were covered by the service bulletin. i found out my vin is included contradicting what my service adviser told me. when i told the service manager my story and that i didnt like how things went with my service visit, he said let me read the service bulletin and get back to you.

when he calls me back he says he will resurface the front and rear rotors as he said thats what fails on these vehicles. i told him earlier the front pads also need replacing at 15,000 miles, he said he will look at them when i come in and if they need replacing he will replace them. when he read the service bulletin he should have read the fix included replacing the pads and springs.

he made no mention of why my vin didnt come up in acura computer as being eligible for this fix. his defense of service adviser attempting to extort $130. to check my brakes was they are told to do that because of people who come in complaining about after market brake replacements that are causing problems. at 15,000 miles that shouldnt have been a concern. almost nobody should need pads replaced,and rotors resurfaced with that low mileage. and nobody should be asked to pay a $130. charge for a possible problem,when vehicle is covered under warranty, and there is also a service bulletin on this issue.

when i complained to service adviser about the $130. charge he waived it, stating it was a one time only courtesy. when i complained to service manager he also stated he will cover the work under warranty as a one time courtesy. no mention of we unsuccessfully attempted to screw you over twice. and we are sorry, we are wrong and you are right. instead its just rather then fixing it at no cost to you because its our contractual responsibility, we will be doing you a big favor by fixing it.

i dont know if this acura method of operation is a dealership issue or its network wide. but if they do it to me how many others are they doing it to. we used to be a 3 acura vehicle family we are now down to one. thats mostly because of current styling that no longer appeals to us. but aside from the showroom floor and sales the service department and service is equally important to keep customers satisfied. good customer service is very important and they should know that. in this case i dont feel i received that. and so to my dealership and perhaps to acura in general i say ,we need less courtesy and more of just initially doing the right thing.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:09 PM
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 101 Posts
You need to tell Acura...regional, national, whatever (I don't know how they're structured). If they don't know about problems they can't fix them. Might not do any good but you never know.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:31 AM
Advanced

mark....

yes , you are correct.
i have dealt with customer relations once before on this vehicle for a prematurely tarnished key fob. i contacted them after the dealership wouldnt replace it.
they were no help at all, so i am not too optimistic . but since they gave me a headache, i will give them one in return.

the brakes and rotors are much more important then the key fob which in their poor judgement they determined to be normal wear and tear.
those of us who have them know that is not true. and that being the case their poor judgement was really nothing more then dishonesty.

i will be sending acura customer relations a copy of my complaint. because it is serious on a couple of levels.
it might possibly involve an attempted shakedown and or or corruption to what level im unsure at this point.
i might also have difficulty proving some of it, if in fact it is actually true.

in any event i plan on holding off , to continue documenting events until this case completely plays out. because once bitten, twice shy.
i want to see what happens in the service dept from this point on.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:27 PM
Racer

This is an update of my brakes on my 2013 RDX. I had the brake squeal after about 3 months/1000 miles of having the car. Every time I would take the car in for service I would tell then about the squeal and they (Woodfield Acura in Hoffman estate, IL) would give me all sorts of excuses and explanation or say "it will break in and go away". Finally after almost 3 years and 4500 miles, I went in for a regular service and I told them the "Look I've owned this car for almost 3 years and I'm disappointed I have to hear my brakes squeal. I'm owned several cars and I have never had the brakes squeal." They finally acknowledged a service bulletin and replaced my front brakes and rotors at no cost. No more squeal for me after 3 years of annoyance.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:26 AM
Advanced

when acura told me i would have to pay .they said i needed front and rear rotors resurfaced,and since i was doing front pads and all rotors i might as well do rear pads as well.
acura wanted l $289. front pads and rotors resurfaced,and $199. rear rotor resurfaced, thats $500.
i told them i would have my private mechanic do it for a lot less,and left,with their written estimate.

when i got home i didnt feel all that should be needed with such low mileage.
so i called the service manager ,and went back and forth with him until he said he would do it under warranty.

i told him il call before bringing the car in to make sure you will be working.
i call the day before he tells me he will be in tomorrow.
i go in they tell me he called in sick.
and they will only do front because thats all warranty covers.

i tell them when you told me i had to pay i needed front and rear rotors resurfaced.
now when your paying you say i only need front.

i had them call the manager at home i told him if they dont do what he authorized over the phone to me, i will send out a letter to acura,and make a complaint.
he told service to give me what i want and bill acura under warranty. they replaced front pads and resurfaced front rotors. they also replaced rear rotors, because they were beyond resurfacing.
at the time the vehicle was 2 years old, and only 16,000 miles. no way was that normal wear and tear. my wife is a light driver and its her vehicle
Old 07-14-2016, 02:45 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by JOE COOL
when acura told me i would have to pay .they said i needed front and rear rotors resurfaced,and since i was doing front pads and all rotors i might as well do rear pads as well.
acura wanted l $289. front pads and rotors resurfaced,and $199. rear rotor resurfaced, thats $500.
i told them i would have my private mechanic do it for a lot less,and left,with their written estimate.

so i called the service manager ,and went back and forth with him until he said he would do it under warranty.

i tell them when you told me i had to pay i needed front and rear rotors resurfaced.

i had them call the manager at home i told him if they dont do what he authorized over the phone to me, i will send out a letter to acura,and make a complaint.
he told service to give me what i want and bill acura under warranty. they replaced front pads and resurfaced front rotors. they also replaced rear rotors, because they were beyond resurfacing.
at the time the vehicle was 2 years old, and only 16,000 miles. no way was that normal wear and tear. my wife is a light driver and its her vehicle
Really shocking. Rears usually last far longer than the fronts(at least twice as long) in my experience. 16k is ridiculous. I wonder if the bias is off or set differently on the RDX to make it use the rear brakes more than a typical car?
Old 07-17-2016, 10:49 PM
Racer

I agree with you, I don't think you should have to pay anything whether they replace your pads and rotors or resurface. Like I said, I've had the same issue just months after getting my 2013 Acura RDX and for almost 3 years they wouldn't do anything and blew me off each time I went in for regular service. (made sure it was documented when I went in for service) My rear suspension went out just under 3 years and it was under this failure event I brought up the brakes sound that they replaced my whole front brakes and rotors at no cost.

I've owned 6 cars, 5 new and my first car used. My first 3 and half years of own the 2013 RDX have had more unscheduled service events than all my other cars put together for the their first 3 years of ownership. I will be trading in my 2013 RDX by the end of the year or before the extended warranty runs out. (Brake squeak 3month, nav/radio died 1st year, rear suspension went out 2nd year, TPMS died 3rd, Battery not charging or keeping charge now, I have to take in this week)

Also, there is a service bulletin for this issue, this should be fixed under warranty. Keep us posted on your resolution.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:42 PM
Advanced

i posted about that service bulletin here on oct 15 and 16 ,2015

i knew about it and when i went in to acura and told them they ran my vin and said my vehicle wasnt included in those covered.
that caught me off guard but i had to accept it. until i got home checked my vin myself and saw it was included.

thats the first time they burnt me. the second time was when they wanted $ 130. just to pull the wheels and inspect the brakes.
the third time was when they told me i had to pay $500. to do front and rear. but then when the manager approved the work under warranty they then tried to tell me only the fronts were covered and needed to be done.

parts fail ,we know that. many of us are dealing with the air bag fiasco. i accept parts failing but i wont accept a car company not backing them up when they fail.
they will tell you its wear and tear, and i tell them its premature wear and tear, there is a differance and they need to acknowledge that when it exists.
i can maybe tolerate them trying to get over on me once, but they tried it 3 times,and thats unacceptable .

i was in the face of the service advisor and the assistant service manager . they said i had a bad attitude and needed to calm down.
i told them you tried to rip me off 3 times im entitled to have a bad attitude and you deserve any abuse i send your way.
il calm down when you fix my vehicle at no cost to me as per your own service manager, who only agreed after i confronted him .
they can play that game on some grandma, and shame on them if they do, but they cant play it on me.

up until a couple of years ago we were a 3 vehicle acura family.
we are now one. and in another year this 13 rdx will be replaced with a audi q5.

they have lost me with their styling, but in fairness thats subjective. the beak was weak and had too long a life. they are also slipping with reliability,and also poor customer service.
the rdx and mdx must be carrying them, but in spite of that they have to be hurting.

not too long ago they were a top ranked car company. consumer reports now has them ranked # 19, with audi # 1.
they are in a free fall. they need to shake things up because they are losing loyal customers.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by chickdr
Really shocking. Rears usually last far longer than the fronts(at least twice as long) in my experience. 16k is ridiculous. I wonder if the bias is off or set differently on the RDX to make it use the rear brakes more than a typical car?
it has been my experience with newer Acuras that the rear brakes wear MUCH faster than the fronts do, Same with the Accords with rear disks... At first I was surprised but I got used to it...
Old 07-24-2016, 08:57 AM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
not too long ago they were a top ranked car company. consumer reports now has them ranked # 19, with audi # 1.
they are in a free fall. they need to shake things up because they are losing loyal customers.
I think acura has lost its way. It's either due to poor leadership or they've pretty much become not a priority for honda. It's become a company that sells to people who have been fans for years and new people who don't read up enough (or to people whose wives want one for her birthday). No a basher, but I'm surprised they are #19 out of 30. I would think they'd actually be lower than that. So many (perhaps most) manufacturers offer so much that isn't even available on the RDX. Honda even puts things in the civic that aren't available in the RDX. The only thing I see them doing to give the customer a good feeling is sending cards regularly telling them they'll give them a good trade in or a one year birthday card. They apparently see this as "class" while I see it as a waste of paper and postage.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:20 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by snorf
I think acura has lost its way. It's either due to poor leadership or they've pretty much become not a priority for honda. It's become a company that sells to people who have been fans for years and new people who don't read up enough (or to people whose wives want one for her birthday). No a basher, but I'm surprised they are #19 out of 30. I would think they'd actually be lower than that. So many (perhaps most) manufacturers offer so much that isn't even available on the RDX. Honda even puts things in the civic that aren't available in the RDX. The only thing I see them doing to give the customer a good feeling is sending cards regularly telling them they'll give them a good trade in or a one year birthday card. They apparently see this as "class" while I see it as a waste of paper and postage.
I have to agree with snorf. Not being a basher either, but certainly the brand is not a priority over Honda. They even send the customer survey emails (in Canada) from a Honda Canada email address, which isn't a big deal but has always been a constant reminder to me that the car is a Honda underneath. And every time I had a shuttle lift when I had maintenance done (at dealership) its a Honda Odyssey. After nearly 2 years living with the RDX, I really don't feel that I bought into any sort of luxury brand.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:45 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by SiliconFox
I have to agree with snorf. Not being a basher either, but certainly the brand is not a priority over Honda. They even send the customer survey emails (in Canada) from a Honda Canada email address, which isn't a big deal but has always been a constant reminder to me that the car is a Honda underneath. And every time I had a shuttle lift when I had maintenance done (at dealership) its a Honda Odyssey. After nearly 2 years living with the RDX, I really don't feel that I bought into any sort of luxury brand.
We bought our 2016 RDX in July of 2015 and were given a small "how to" booklet. We had to WRITE to request an owner's manual. I saw this as being nothing short of an insult. My neighbor bought a new Nissan Altima last year. She got a complete users manual and CD when she got the car and they hooked her up with the Nissan website before she left the dealership. The Nissan website has a short video on how to do anything you could think of needing to do with your Nissan. It shows you how to operate everything on the car, how to connect every electronic gadget to the car, etc. And Nissan is not thought of as a luxury brand and quite likely not known for (but I'm not sure) its customer service. I have seen a couple of the so-called videos offered by acura and they, too, are nothing short of an insult. They essentially tell you nothing of value. Perhaps someone at acura could take a look at the Nissan website and what instruction videos are supposed to look like.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:26 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Given how few people (many of them here) actually read a full owner's manual it's hard to fault them for handing them out given the cost. The guide which comes with the car has everything the average person needs and full manuals are easily obtainable, for free, on the owner's site. Don't see this as a big deal.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dirleton
Given how few people (many of them here) actually read a full owner's manual it's hard to fault them for handing them out given the cost. The guide which comes with the car has everything the average person needs and full manuals are easily obtainable, for free, on the owner's site. Don't see this as a big deal.
I don't think the guide that comes with the car has everything the average person needs. One shouldn't have to request an owners manual. There's a lot of information in the owners manual that would be nice to have at hand. Your logic is much like saying people never needed phone books as few people ever read every name in the book.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:16 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree that Acura has gone down the tubes. I feel so bad for people who are still buying the RDX.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:12 AM
Advanced

just got my rdx back last friday.
it was off the road for 3 months.

while in acura service after some back and forth with the service advisor they also replaced my battery as i requested .
i had informed them it had stopped working after only getting minimal usage for the past 90 days, id addition it is very close to 4 years old.

they then without me requesting it, checked and resurfaced my rear rotors.
when i asked the service advisor why that was needed, he said they developed surface rust from months of inactivity.

i informed him those rotors were just replaced 6 months ago and the car was of the road for half of that time for the recall.
that being the case it seemed rather odd the rears would rust and not the front which he said were fine. his answer was dont worry its covered under warranty work.

they also had the vehicle there for 2 full days when they told me it was gonna be a 1 day job.
i had it towed in early wednesday morning couldnt pick it up until friday morning. minor inconvenience but no biggie.

i have to say getting the acura back did feel good. we were in a jeep compass rental for 3 months.
two differant class vehicles, but driving the acura again was like night and day.

overall this rdx is a very good vehicle.but acura needs to improve their customer service.
they need to assume responsibility when things fail,and stop attempting to put it on the owners.

we purchased this 4 years ago. in that time acura has been going down and many of its competitors are going up, with service , styling, product,and some with pricing .
if they want to stay a lead player in the game they without a doubt will need to up their game. they cant do that overnight with styling and products, but they can do it with customer service.

overall i am a loyal person. when i have a history with a person or a company, i am willing to tolerate a little more. and i have a honda/acura history going back to my 1984 accord sedan.
eventually as life allowed me to upgrade i moved on to the acura legend coupe and then a few tl and tls and i was very satisfied, but then their styling lost me,as well as others,and they stayed with it longer then they should have.

but even with that history and loyalty there sometimes comes a point where when i feel im pushed a bit too far,
or feel im either being taken for granted and not appreciated, i just say later for this and walk away.

i have seen the word basher mentioned here. we come here to talk about acura. some of it is good and some of it is bad.
but it is what it is ,we dont make any of it up. and the fact that consumer reports shows acura dropped from like # 3 to # 19 ,tied in that slot with chevrolet.
that decline in not that long a period of time is not the result of bashers, if anything it created the bashers.
its the result of acura themselves making some bad decisions.

they have to be aware, the question is can they turn it around, or do they even seriously want to.
perhaps they are willing to accept mediocrity,as long as there are enough buyers who are also willing to accept it.

honda is currently ranked number # 10, buyers can pretty much spend less and get a better vehicle.
why spent more money to get less #19. how much longer can acura continue to compete with that.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:35 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I probably wouldn't have thought to ask this at the time, but I would have laughed and asked the dealer if they resurface the rotors on all the new cars that have been sitting on the lot for months. Flash rust is very common, it happens to some cars after simply being washed for 30 minutes. I'm willing to be that dealership was having a slow day and wanted to get a little labor time in, even though I'm pretty sure warranty labor time is not very good.