How long do TSX alternators last?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 05:29 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by TL Dream
Wow...I guess I win for lowest miles. My 2006 TSX with Nav died at 56,000 miles last fall.

About 50,000 of those miles are in the city. I think the heat of sitting in the 100+degree sun with the ac and stuff running did it in. That and the times it would be 0 degrees out. We have 4 seasons here, but they also tend to be extreme.

I found the job to be rather easy once I pulled the fan and overfill tank off. I ordered a NEW unit from Autozone for $145 and had it shipped to me. Autozone was nice enough to loan me the belt/pully tool.

While they had rebuilts in the store with a lifetime replacement, I went for the new unit for $50 more and the lifetime replacement. I hope not to replace it ever again.

I managed to run my broken alt for 2 days while I waited for the new one to come. I just charged the battery all night and make sure to limit my drive to only what I needed to do. Closest thing I'll get to a Tesla. The check battery light came on one day...so I did check it. The one year old battery was 12.8v with the car off. Turned the car on and it was 12.3v. Fairly good sign the alt was toast. I just hope I didn't ruin my new battery.
I wonder if this experience reinforces my opinion that the alternator failures tend to be more time based than mileage (with exceptions of course). I would agree that long term high underhood temps may have taken a toll. I think it was a smart move to go with new versus rebuilt, and as long the battery was never completely depleted, it should be OK. I hope you replaced the belt, since you had the old one off anyway (and is 10 years old).
Old 03-08-2016, 09:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Simba91102
I wonder if this experience reinforces my opinion that the alternator failures tend to be more time based than mileage (with exceptions of course). I would agree that long term high underhood temps may have taken a toll. I think it was a smart move to go with new versus rebuilt, and as long the battery was never completely depleted, it should be OK. I hope you replaced the belt, since you had the old one off anyway (and is 10 years old).
I agree that time and heat probably play more of a part in failure than miles. It's hard to say though since I took a generator out of the 57 Chevy about 5 years ago to put in an alternator and it was still going.

I did do the belt, but only after I drive back to autozone to return the tool. $20 belt, 10 min in the parking lot. I'd hate to know what the dealer would charge. Speaking of, they quoted me $450 for the alternator change with a rebuilt unit and a 6 month warranty. When I went to autozone they said the Honda dealer, and many of the other ones, come in for alternators often. So, another data point.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:40 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got ya beat for the lowest miles. My 06 TSX that I bought new, has just 29,860 miles. Alternator died Friday after work, still in the parking lot. I pulled into the garage at home on Thursday night and got this strange clicking and "check air bag system" flickering on the hud, very fast. Shut the car off, and restarted it and everything seemed normal, and it sat in the garage overnight.Chalked it up to possible glitch. Left for work early Friday to be sure, but everything seemed normal, drove fine. 12 hours later after work nothing. AAA checked, and sure enough, dead alternator. Installing a remanufactured with lifetime warranty in the morning. Love the 60 houre work weeks, and a wasted weekend with unexpected expenses.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:51 AM
Intermediate

I hear you on the 60hr work week. Just finished one myself. At least this will be a quick and relatively low cost fix.

29k miles? Wow. Now that's low miles. Sure makes changing fluids on any sort of schedule difficult! Heck, I bet your tires expire before the wear bars show.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:04 PM
Racer

Yeah, the tires DID go bad a couple of summers ago, lol. Being that this was the only issue with the car I have had I sure can't complain of Acura quality. I have now moved to another house and it has a VERY steep driveway. Our AWD Mazda CX7 makes it up nicely, the TSX, not so much. I Started looking for another fun sedan with 6 speed man with AWD, and tried the 2016 WRX, but to be honest, like my 06 TSX better. Drove a 2016 Audi A3...loved but it's an automatic. Have a local dealer that is going to call when the Focus RS is in...350HP, AWD and 6 speed, sounds good on paper but have to drive it first. Going to take a lot for me to get rid of the TSX.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:34 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
MIne just died today. 2006 TSX with 136,000 miles. It died on the highway while my wife was coming home from work. It gave her about 12 miles of driving, then I came to her and installed the battery from our 2000 Accord, that battery just barely made it home with the TSX. It completely died just as I was pulling in my driveway. Looking for DIY's now to get this changed. Where did you guys bought your alternator? I like to stay as OEM as possible with my cars.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:04 PM
kbh
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Amazon and Rock Auto both sell refurbished Denso alternators for about $180. If you are willing to return the core to RA, you will get $72 back minus your shipping costs.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:31 PM
kbh
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Just a quick follow up. After I got my initial charging system warning light, but before I did my alternator change in August 2015, there was an episode of my battery completely running down and the car died at the side of the road. It ran fine after the alternator swap, but my Optima Yellow top battery (installed Sept 2014) died earlier this week. I got a free warranty replacement at Advance Auto, but the salesman was quite surprised as he had not seen an Optima fail while under warranty in many years. I can't prove it, but I think that total battery discharge last year may have contributed to early failure.

Main message is if your car completely dies due to alternator failure, check your battery after you get everything fixed so you are not stranded again soon after.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:59 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Miamicarfan
Hello.
I have several questions:

1) Have any forum members replaced their alternators because they failed?

2) If so, how old was the TSX and what mileage did it have when the alternator failed?

3) Do Acura TSX alternators last less than in previous Hondas and Acuras? The member who reported a broken alternator had around 100k in his car. I have have driven previous Hondas and Acuras where the car was driven for 13+ years and 150k before the alternator failed.
1) I replaced my alternator myself (and replaced the belt while I was at it). Boy was it a PITA compared to my wife's Subaru. I'm an amateur and did it myself. Getting the alternator out was the toughest part, I had to move the reservoir out of the way to make it a little easier. It's doable for someone learning cars. Harder than an oil change or brake rotors/pads, but easier than suspension.

2) My TSX was about 6 years old with less than 80k when the alternator went. I was kind of surprised and disappointed. I went to a local shop to have it rebuilt- I heard mixed things about NAPA/off brand alternators so I wanted to stick with OEM as much as possible.

3) My mom's 02 TL has 105k on it and it's on its 2nd transmission and original alternator...go figure.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:29 PM
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
I just replaced the alternator on a one owner 06 Base TSX that I just bought in Dec for my daughter. It has 150k and it started with the Check Charging system warning coming on. Eventually the alternator failed. After install a new alternator I noticed the Check Charging warning comes up intermittently only when the car comes to a sudden stop. It's as if the electrical system senses a drop in voltage as the RPMs drop down. The car doesn't shut off but I do see the RPMs drop down to about 6k. Other that that no issues. So my question is what could be causing the cars engine to drop power when I brake or stop suddenly? I noticed that if I pop it in neutral and stop suddenly that I I don't get the warning light. Should I check the engine out or could it be transmission related?

Last edited by 91lgndsdn; 02-08-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Did you replace the belt at the same time
The following users liked this post:
91lgndsdn (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 09:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Did you replace the belt at the same time
No I didn't. It looked good, do you think I should have replaced it? maybe stretched or something?
Old 02-09-2017, 07:50 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Originally Posted by 91lgndsdn
No I didn't. It looked good, do you think I should have replaced it? maybe stretched or something?
I usually replace my serpentine belt around 100,000 miles (Bando 7pk1755 OEM quality serpentine belt, Amazon, $20). The belt can stretch over time; but, the belt tensioner pulley compensate to put the correct amount of tension. That can only work for so long before the belt stretches too much. It might also be time to think about replacing the belt tensioner (part no. 3117-PNA-023, $110-$130) also because they start to wear out and even fail with that many miles on it.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
You should replace the belt and or tensioners, if they're going bad. There may be some variances
Old 02-09-2017, 09:37 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally Posted by 91lgndsdn
I just replaced the alternator on a one owner 06 Base TSX that I just bought in Dec for my daughter. It has 150k and it started with the Check Charging system warning coming on. Eventually the alternator failed. After install a new alternator I noticed the Check Charging warning comes up intermittently only when the car comes to a sudden stop. It's as if the electrical system senses a drop in voltage as the RPMs drop down. The car doesn't shut off but I do see the RPMs drop down to about 6k. Other that that no issues. So my question is what could be causing the cars engine to drop power when I brake or stop suddenly? I noticed that if I pop it in neutral and stop suddenly that I I don't get the warning light. Should I check the engine out or could it be transmission related?
If problem w/ intermittent charge warning persists, check the crankshaft pulley / harmonic balancer. The rubber bushing between outer pulley and inner hub can age and become loose causing strange problems. Test by making a radial mark w/ white marker across outer pulley, bushing, and inner hub. Drive and inspect the mark. If the radial line separates, the bushing is damaged. If not, its fine.

good luck
Old 02-09-2017, 01:53 PM
Instructor

Red face

OK, So I'm a dumb ass! I was checking the tensioner markings to see if the tension was within the proper limits and I notice the left the upper alternator bolt loose. Tightened it and problem gone. Well at least if anybody else gets the symptoms I was getting they can now refer to this post and check to see that the alternator is tight! Thanks for all great responses.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:44 AM
1st Gear

2007 Acura TSX

Mine died at 133k. I was wondering about that. It seemed so early! I don't think I've ever had to replace an alternator on any of my cars. And I keep them till almost 200k! Honda's, Toyota and even a Benz...
Old 05-10-2019, 05:16 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by rswlchristine
Mine died at 133k. I was wondering about that. It seemed so early! I don't think I've ever had to replace an alternator on any of my cars. And I keep them till almost 200k! Honda's, Toyota and even a Benz...
same here.. my alternator died yesterday while i was at trader joes... had to wait for AAA to give me a jump so i could make it home. original alternator lasted 15 years and 135k miles. replaced it with a denso for $100
Old 05-22-2019, 06:43 PM
Racer

My 06 TSX 6MT alternator died at 230,000 miles. This car was still great to drive, but had several issues (leaking ps pump, faulty passenger airbag sensor, and a leaking oil seal, or two) which would have cost me thousands to get it certified. The dealer quoted $1,100 Cdn for the parts, tax, and labour, and I needed a new battery, too. My wife and I had a deal about not investing too much into this car, so I bought a non-Honda alternator, belt, and battery for $500 Cdn. I found video on how to replace the alternator on the same gen Accord. That fix lasted 8,000 miles, while finishing a 600 mile road trip, just as I rolled into my destination 300 miles from home. With not enough tools, no garage, and no time, I donated the car to a local hospital for nothing, and took the train home.

I save $700 Cdn on insurance, but was able to return a couple of hundred dollars worth or rear Brembo blanks, Hawk HPS pads, and didn't need to buy the much needed aftermarket RRM.