help please! coolant leaking/no heat/overheating issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help please! coolant leaking/no heat/overheating issue

i did some research on this site. I try PM'n some of u but it wont allow me for some reason lol.

here it is.

My car was overheating yesterday. almost hit the redline but did not. i pulled over and noticed there are some leaking coolant. Not a lot but it is leaking.

I let it cool and drive it all the way home w.o overheating. but still dripping coolant.

The thing is. it only over heat sometimes. not all the time. When it does over heat, it would idle very low! also my heater doesn't work either.

My conclusion is that its the Thermostat and water pump.. if i am wrong please help me! let me know what you think!
Old 10-21-2009, 07:23 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts
You have to have at least 5 posts to PM.

Have you replaced the radiator?

Where exactly is the coolant leaking from?

You need to get this problem fixed before you blow your head gasket then that will be more $$$.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:03 PM
Cruisin'

oh man i was havin so much problem locatin this post lol. i need to be a member for 15 days too to do pm!

not sure exactly where the coolant is leakin from. when i try to see where. the coolant would stop leakin. it stop leakin now and wont over heat either.... what can possibly be the problem>
Old 10-31-2009, 06:44 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
From your description, the leak is losing coolant until you begin to overheat. First step is to find and fix coolant leak. Possibilities are numerous, but defective hose or radiator is most likely. Best way to locate leak is to perform a pressure leak test w/ engine cold. You can borrow a leak test kit from AZ or ORiellys or pay someone to perform the test.

Once leak is found and repaired, you will know if thermostat is bad. A bad thermostat will overheat quickly w/o loss of coolant.

good luck
Old 10-31-2009, 06:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 85 Posts
My advice would be to keep an eye on the coolant level even though it seem to stop. You don't want to blow a head gasket by running low on coolant level. If coolant leak was visible, check the surrounding area carefully to find the origin of leakage. If coolant leak was not visible, I would suggest getting a compression test just to be sure you are okay.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:08 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
From your description, the leak is losing coolant until you begin to overheat. First step is to find and fix coolant leak. Possibilities are numerous, but defective hose or radiator is most likely. Best way to locate leak is to perform a pressure leak test w/ engine cold. You can borrow a leak test kit from AZ or ORiellys or pay someone to perform the test.

Once leak is found and repaired, you will know if thermostat is bad. A bad thermostat will overheat quickly w/o loss of coolant.

good luck
it leaks but very little drips. i checked the coolant level and its still the same before it started over heating. now it doesnt even leak anymore. i'll go to AZ tomorrow to borrow the tools. thanks a lot for the help!! i will keep you guys posted. i still cant PM people but i'll post here again =] thanks again!!

Originally Posted by main70072
My advice would be to keep an eye on the coolant level even though it seem to stop. You don't want to blow a head gasket by running low on coolant level. If coolant leak was visible, check the surrounding area carefully to find the origin of leakage. If coolant leak was not visible, I would suggest getting a compression test just to be sure you are okay.

i'll definitely keep that in mind! thankss
Old 11-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmmmm.. i kinda have the same problem. No overheating really, but my coolant drips, i can tell its coolant because i can smell it. Thing is idk if its my radiator but honestly i wouldn't think it is. my radiator cap gets hit everytime i put the hood back down and the antifreeze/coolant gets all over the top of the radiator and the radiator cap looks all banged up from some part in the hood....... yet i really dont know what it is. What do u guys think?
Old 11-04-2009, 06:58 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Either you got the wrong radiator, or you don't have the rubber stoppers for the hood and the latch is set too low.

Neither is good!

~Cheers~
Old 11-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what do you recommend as a fix??
Old 11-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Cruisin'

sorry for the late reply. i've been busy with school =x.

i just replaced the thermostats now and heat is as hot as shikira! but the problems go on..

if i keep the car on idle, there are no signs of leak..

once i gas it. water pours out like crazy. Its pouring out from the driver side right next to the oil pan nut( if u are facing the front of the car its on the right side of the nut.)

can this be my water pump? water only leaks when i gas it =x..

any inputs would be great!!
Old 11-09-2009, 04:36 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
It could be as simple as a hose. When you gas it, your pump spins more and pressure is added to the system, forcing the coolant to shoot out of the leaking area. Check the radiator hoses to make sure they're clamped on tightly.

~Cheers~
Old 11-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Cruisin'

nope i just checked the hoses. not it =x
Old 04-04-2017, 09:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello, hate to revive this ollllld thread.

Hello, I have an 03 Tl-S l, I was doing the strut rod bushings and the belt tensioner , when I noticed a small drop of coolant. There was only that one hanging from the engine cradle (subframe) on the passenger side of the vehicle, near the back of the engine bay. Any thoughts? I'm really scared it's the water pump. I've I'm also having this problem. I've had the hoses replaced awhile back, and I do notice a lot of discoloring on the radiator. I will be doing the radiator, along with $900 in front suspension soon. Just hoping that someone will tell me it's not the water pump lol, thank you!