Wet Driver Side Floor Mat

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2024, 08:13 PM
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Wet Driver Side Floor Mat

Hello, ZDXers.

It seems I have water finding its way onto the driver side floor mat and floor carpet right below the left foot footrest (where your heel sits). I believe it's coming from above, under the dash, but (for the life of me), I cannot find a trace of water anywhere except the wet spot where I stated. Has anyone experienced this?

I was thinking it could be a clogged or disconnected sunroof drain, but that doesn't make sense as the floor mat is wet too, not just the carpet. If it was running down inside the A pillar, the carpet would be the only thing wet, right? Not the mat sitting on top.

Unfortunately, I discovered it today, and it was raining yesterday, so I guess I hose down cowl around the wiper area, wait and see, then sunroof and wait.

Thoughts..?

Thanks,
Old 08-21-2024, 10:03 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Would depend on how fast the water flowed in, and how fast the carpet absorbed (if it flooded over the mat initially). I vote for the sunroof drain.
The following users liked this post:
zdxsr (08-22-2024)
Old 08-22-2024, 08:33 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dynodan
Would depend on how fast the water flowed in, and how fast the carpet absorbed (if it flooded over the mat initially). I vote for the sunroof drain.
I believe the water leaked in overnight, but I cannot be 100% sure as I was not focused on the floor late at night, and it was only about a six-inch diameter of wetness on the mat and the carpet.

My initial thought is that it dripped down from above (underside of the dash or e-brake pedal assy.), but no traces of moisture from above are evident; my mats are OEM, and the rubber underside would not have allowed the water to wick up into the mat from the carpet.

Old 09-09-2024, 09:33 AM
Instructor

Mystery solved. It was a partially clogged evaporator drain line. The water was backing up, then finding its way into the ducts under the seats (shown below).

I didn't focus on that drain initially, because I was seeing evaporator condensation draining after a drive, and I noticed the wet floor after a major rainstorm, which had me focusing on a sunroof drains, windshield seal, or the possibility of a bad body seam seal.

The following users liked this post:
robpp (09-09-2024)
Old 09-09-2024, 02:18 PM
Instructor

Curious how you cleared the partial clog (?) Compressed air? Coat hanger?
Old 09-10-2024, 09:58 AM
Instructor

Curious how you cleared the partial clog (?) Compressed air? Coat hanger?
1. Disconnected the drain tube from the heater assembly, under the dashboard (passengers' side).
2. Inserted length of trimmer line up into the evaporator housing to unclog (water drained out).
3. Vacuumed out the remaining water and clog with a small clear tub attached to a wet dry vac.
4. Blew out the disconnected drain tube with the vac (blower side) using the same small tub mentioned.

Old 09-11-2024, 04:15 PM
Instructor

I wonder what factors are involved that might contribute to that drain clogging (age, dusty environment, mold, dirt roads, etc.)? My car’s AC still leaves a puddle when I park, but curious whether some kind of preventive maintenance could be worth considering (dependent upon personal driving conditions)?
Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM
Instructor

I wonder what factors are involved that might contribute to that drain clogging (age, dusty environment, mold, dirt roads, etc.)? My car’s AC still leaves a puddle when I park, but curious whether some kind of preventive maintenance could be worth considering (dependent upon personal driving conditions)?
Factors, all the above; but obviously it isn't the same for each individual as I do not live around or drive on dirt roads, and my ZDX is kept pretty damn clean (interior, exterior, under the hood), and I change out the cabin filter as recommended, which never looks dirty.

Yes. There are cleaning kits available, and I plan to use one to flush out any remaining debris. I definitely don't need to experience this again.
Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM
Instructor

Another factor that hadn’t occurred is ‘insects’. The wet drain tube might attract them, and encourage the building of a nest in the structure. Especially if often parked outdoors, or in a frequently open garage.
Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,736 Likes on 6,739 Posts
Originally Posted by zdxsr
Mystery solved. It was a partially clogged evaporator drain line. The water was backing up, then finding its way into the ducts under the seats (shown below).

I didn't focus on that drain initially, because I was seeing evaporator condensation draining after a drive, and I noticed the wet floor after a major rainstorm, which had me focusing on a sunroof drains, windshield seal, or the possibility of a bad body seam seal.
not a lot of folks solve their own problem and come back to update the threads so thanks and kudos to you !!
Old Today, 08:54 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by thoiboi
not a lot of folks solve their own problem and come back to update the threads so thanks and kudos to you !!
Anytime!

If my persistence and effort can save someone a little frustration and/or point them in the right direction, then it's all worth it.
Old Today, 09:31 AM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
I typically address that drain in the spring as part of my oil change service and I use the $3 tool from Home Depot. It can readily be inserted into the drain line from below the vehicle. Hair snake