Very close to getting a ZDX.. though what am I in for?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 07:09 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very close to getting a ZDX.. though what am I in for?

Hey All,

My Accord is 10 years old and I'm ready to move on. I've always loved the ZDXs and finally test drove one yesterday. A little sluggish off the line like people say but other than that I really enjoyed it. However, what am I getting into with a discontinued vehicle? I guess the biggest problem is finding parts over the years. How similar are all the typical replacement parts to those used on the MDX? Breaks, timing belts, hoses, etc, etc.. are there any "gotcha" parts that are going to be a real pain to find? I realize body panels and glass will be difficult in a few years should something happen (which it will as I live in Washington D.C). Anything I'm not thinking of with owning a discontinued vehicle?
Old 12-03-2012, 07:14 AM
Intermediate

And if a mechanic is at least experienced with the MDX, are there any particularities about the engine that would make it difficult to work on?
Old 12-03-2012, 01:28 PM
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts
Replacement parts mostly are same for other Honda and Acura cars. As for body parts, I think manufacturers continue to make parts for discontinued cars for atleast 5 years, so I don't expect any problems here either
Old 12-03-2012, 01:41 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Keep us posted on your purchase. Where are you located?
I wouldn't worry about parts. I've had long-discontinued Acuras for years and never had parts problems, inc body parts. (Legend Coupes, CLS.) My CL Type S was discontinued in 2003 and has had a few new parts the last few years. If 5 years was correct, there'd be no 6 year old discontinued cars on the road that had accidents or needed parts.

and yes the mechanicals on the Z are from the MDX. except the Z has a better interior. but 2 Zs I've seen had bubbling leather on the dash in the concave part, from poor adhesives. not good.
those parts may be tricky sooner than others IMO.

Last edited by 123456SPEED; 12-03-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the info. Also, quick question, is this two tone interior actually available? If so what is it called and for what years? http://www.zdxcrossover.com/wp-conte...X-Interior.jpg
Old 12-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Intermediate

Also were there any changes to the nav / audio system software or gui between 2010 and 2012? Played with the 2012 for awhile and felt it was nice and intuitive.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:34 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

That was the concept or preproduction Z, love the steering wheel. The 2013 Z does add the 2 new Acura color interiors, a lt gray, and a light tan called seacoast. Taupe interior was dropped. Sumatra were dropped in 2012.

The only changes to Audio/ GUI were possibly map updates.
They dropped the active CMBS and now offer a passive warning-only collision system.

Last edited by 123456SPEED; 12-03-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:36 PM
El Chulo...

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking fits me like a glove...

Carn1fex, your in for the nicest vehicle Acura has made since the original NSX. The most unique stunning car on the road (whether you love or hate its polarizing looks). An SUV with the most advanced AWD system in any vehicle to date. Most importantly you get all of Acura's great reliability, so you don't have to worry about many issues down the line. I lease mine and will most definitely be buying it at end of contract. The ZDX doesn't fit everyone's lifestyle but when it works.., its a Home-run with the bases loaded. Simply put you will love it...
The following 2 users liked this post by VeNeNo:
cobra611 (06-18-2013), Sandro (12-10-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 05:43 PM
8th Gear

I'm also close to getting a ZDX. Found a 2012 Grigio/Umber Tech with <7,000 miles on the clock listed by CarMax in Georgia, which I am having shipped to the CarMax location nearest me. They say transfer can take up to 21 days - hope that's a deliberate over-estimate and that I'll have a special Christmas present!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:54 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

good luck! I love that color combo. but for myself I wonder how hot it would be in Texas, the dark gray color with the black roof. I worry those opaque sunroof covers let in a lot of heat.
sorry... just me trying to pro and con this car. I love most aspects of this unique vehicle. hope you get it.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I researched the ZDX for 3 years before pulling the trigger and I did it with utmost confidence despite all the naysayers. Today, it is absolutely the nicest vehicle I've riddin in! Acura will support the ZDX for at least 10 years beyond the 2013 model and with the reliability you'll have nothing to worry about. I've owned a 89 crx and 97 del sol for years with no problems or parts I couldn't find, and these cars were also short lived. Do yourself a favor and start LIVING with a kickass ZDX!
Old 01-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Intermediate

Yea I'm now pretty much sold on getting a ZDX. Looking for a technology package or advanced package if the price is right. Thing is, I'm primarily looking through cars.com and it is almost never clear whether a car has the tech or adv package. How would you tell what this car has just from looking at the options? What stands out to me is "Video Monitor Location: Front" so I assume it at least has the tech package and isn't just the base. Is there a better way? http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1
Old 01-05-2013, 01:08 PM
Pro

it has Tech or Adv if there is a color display on the dashboard
most remarkable Adv feature from outside is central radar in the grille, you'll notice it easily on pics. inside its the IDS round switch near the tranny stick
Old 01-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Intermediate

Thanks! So would you say this particular link has the tech package because it has the screen but not advanced as you can't see a radar in the front grill? And is there anything in that features list on cars.com to make it easy to tell? Often listings don't have interior photographs or photos of the grill...
Old 01-05-2013, 07:26 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Tech has the Navigation maps in the screen. look for Navi in the info.
Advance has:
the radar plastic in the front grill,
the IDS control -large round knob below the CD slot
Buttons on the dash left, for CMBS and Blind Spot System I think.
Indicators for the Blind Spot monitoring system in the front pillars
Steering wheel CMBS button, right side bottom, shows a car icon with skidding tires. the non-Advance has a down arrow on this button.
look for listings of Ventilated cooled seats, Advanced? Cruise Control, CMBS, Blind Spot monitoring, suedelike headliner. also the cherry red and Metallic Bronze were only offered on the 2010 2011 Tech and Adv trims and were dropped totally in 2012?

for the Advance - easiest to see is the front grill piece and the large IDS 3" switch below the CD.
many cars are mislabeled on autotrader and cars.com. even by the Acura dealers. even colors are mislabeled, Z gets no respect!!

Last edited by 123456SPEED; 01-05-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:47 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by VeNeNo
Carn1fex, your in for the nicest vehicle Acura has made since the original NSX. The most unique stunning car on the road (whether you love or hate its polarizing looks). An SUV with the most advanced AWD system in any vehicle to date. Most importantly you get all of Acura's great reliability, so you don't have to worry about many issues down the line. I lease mine and will most definitely be buying it at end of contract. The ZDX doesn't fit everyone's lifestyle but when it works.., its a Home-run with the bases loaded. Simply put you will love it...
Haha my thoughts exactly! Go for it the ZDX is one sweet ride. I feel like I am in an exotic from all the stares I get in it. Also if you can find a leftover 12 they are going for significant discounts. I just picked up a 12 tech in northern va last one on the lot for 9k off! It was on the dealer lot for 10 months but I did not care.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:18 PM
Intermediate

By the way, if anyone is shopping ZDX's and wanting to be able to tell which trim level you are looking at, of course you look for the IDS dial under the radio to show that it is an ADVANCE, but the best way is to look at the serial #. After the 2nd "H" a "2=base", "4=Tech" and "6=Advance". I actually figured this neat little trick out after shopping them for 2 years and works great!
The following users liked this post:
streckjc (05-01-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 12:54 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Thanks, just what wanted to know. Most car dealers (Acura or not ) seem to label them wrong. And many have no pics or little info, such a neglected car.Lots of ads say Base, when they are Techs.
Anyway, thanks.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by AGENTCOZ
By the way, if anyone is shopping ZDX's and wanting to be able to tell which trim level you are looking at, of course you look for the IDS dial under the radio to show that it is an ADVANCE, but the best way is to look at the serial #. After the 2nd "H" a "2=base", "4=Tech" and "6=Advance". I actually figured this neat little trick out after shopping them for 2 years and works great!
That is a neat piece of info! Thanks!
Old 03-25-2013, 05:19 PM
Pro

misposted this in another thread so just FYI
I got my second ZDX just two weeks ago
Its a CPO 2010 ZDX Advance bronze/umber with 26k miles, the deal was 35k total with all fees
not bad, although it didn't have running boards and 20" rims
Old 03-25-2013, 05:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Sandro
misposted this in another thread so just FYI
I got my second ZDX just two weeks ago
Its a CPO 2010 ZDX Advance bronze/umber with 26k miles, the deal was 35k total with all fees
not bad, although it didn't have running boards and 20" rims
Congrats, Sandro.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:17 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by terdonal
Congrats, Sandro.
Thanks)
gonna post some pics closer to June when I get the styling done
Old 03-26-2013, 10:15 AM
Off roading in his

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Congrats Sandro. 2 ZDX's and in Moscow no less. AWESOME!!!

I'm going to be very sad when my lease is up in 3 months, this is the only car that I don't want to let go.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Pro

then buy it?
there are some ZDXs in Moscow but defenitely noone else has two Z's in one family
Old 03-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My my, Sandro!
You're the MAN!

So glad to see you enjoying the Zs so much...

I wish I could but I've moved on... ;-)
Old 05-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Fast can always be faster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also thinking of a '10 ZDX

Hey all,
After reading through your thread thus far, I thought I'd just post here instead of putting another thread out there.

I'm in my 3rd Acura ('03 CL-S 6-sp, '08 MDX Sport/Entertainment and currently '10 TL SH-AWD Tech) and thinking of getting a small SUV for use of picking stuff up for my townhouse that can't fit in my TL. It will actually replace my TL and also be my daily driver. I love Acura's but hate the RDX turbo engine and the '13's have a "softer" AWD that's not near as nice as the SH-AWD. So the ZDX is where I've landed (as well as an FX35). I do love the styling, even though many don't (actually got a little upset when the '12 TL was made "softer" in it's lines). I've been told that golf clubs can fit in the trunk without putting seats down or opening up the "side pods". This is a requirement for me as I play a lot. But is it truly big enough to put a new toilet in from Lowe's, or a couple boxes that make up a rolling tool chest from Sears?

Also, can I expect the same driving fun I have in my TL with strong cornering and a strong accelleration including highway overtaking and such? I would think so with the same engine, same BHP and not much difference in weight. But I wanted to ask the "experts."

I love Acura, love the technology, love the styling, love the quality, etc, etc and don't want to give that up. But I'm concerned over drive enjoyment as well as will the ZDX accomplish my occassional need for space to pick up items for my home.

Thoughts? Comments?

Little background - single guy in my late 30's with no kids. So stuffing people and stuff like a family guy would is not my primary concern.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 05-01-2013, 11:36 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Hmm, i thought the Z is a lot heavier than the TL, I think 4400lbs. it handles well tho considering.
I too wonder what fits in the back, the space is 38" wide I think, the more limiting dimension looks to be the height of the opening. it's kinda low with the raised floor.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:16 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Streck

I have owned a FX35 and a ZDX (my first non-Nissan product after Altima 02, 350Z, FX, Altima 07, Xterra). Golf clubs not an issue for the ZDX. Heck my Z used to fit two golf bags even with that stupid strut bar in the hatch. You can fit a toilet (two piece - flush reservoir not connected) without folding them. If it is in a bigger one in a box, you may have to fold. Right now in my trunk, I have 3 boxes of sneakers, a front facing child seat, a base for a rear facing child seat, and I can still fit a roller board carry-on luggage suit case. I should get the all weather hatch mat, but I digress. My advice, bring your golf bag with you when you test drive it. Late 30s, no kids, this is perfect for you. All wheel drive, great looks, something nice to drive through G'town , I would definitely recommend it. BUT, if you ever decide to buy toy vehicles, ATV, jet ski, snowmobile, then go for MDX because the ZDX can't tow for crap. Good luck.

Originally Posted by streckjc
Hey all,
After reading through your thread thus far, I thought I'd just post here instead of putting another thread out there.

I'm in my 3rd Acura ('03 CL-S 6-sp, '08 MDX Sport/Entertainment and currently '10 TL SH-AWD Tech) and thinking of getting a small SUV for use of picking stuff up for my townhouse that can't fit in my TL. It will actually replace my TL and also be my daily driver. I love Acura's but hate the RDX turbo engine and the '13's have a "softer" AWD that's not near as nice as the SH-AWD. So the ZDX is where I've landed (as well as an FX35). I do love the styling, even though many don't (actually got a little upset when the '12 TL was made "softer" in it's lines). I've been told that golf clubs can fit in the trunk without putting seats down or opening up the "side pods". This is a requirement for me as I play a lot. But is it truly big enough to put a new toilet in from Lowe's, or a couple boxes that make up a rolling tool chest from Sears?

Also, can I expect the same driving fun I have in my TL with strong cornering and a strong accelleration including highway overtaking and such? I would think so with the same engine, same BHP and not much difference in weight. But I wanted to ask the "experts."

I love Acura, love the technology, love the styling, love the quality, etc, etc and don't want to give that up. But I'm concerned over drive enjoyment as well as will the ZDX accomplish my occassional need for space to pick up items for my home.

Thoughts? Comments?

Little background - single guy in my late 30's with no kids. So stuffing people and stuff like a family guy would is not my primary concern.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 05-27-2013, 08:16 AM
10th Gear

I currently have a 2010 ZDX Advance. I love the look of the car, but you need the running boards to make it look right. ZDX without running boards just doesn't look aggressive enough. The downside to the car is that it isn't that practical. The problem is that the angle of the hatch roof line really cuts into cargo space. You're not going to be able to use the full length of the cargo area if you have any large boxes because the hatch won't be able to close... you loose a lot of vertical space because of the angle of the roof line. Also by having the running boards it also makes it harder to get in and out of the car. The ZDX isn't quite high enough off the ground that you need to step onto the running boards to get in the car so you end of having to step over the running boards to get into a car... it's like trying to get into a car with really wide door sills. My wife constantly complains about how difficult it is for her to get into the car. Also, I'm averaging around 16.5 mpg in the car so the fuel economy is poor... I do about 50/50 highway and city. One common issue with a lot of ZDX's is the battery. If I don't drive my car for a week, the low battery light comes on and if the weather is cold the car won't start. I asked the dealer about it and initially they didn't want to change my batter and told me that they recommend just driving the car everyday. Every other car I've owned... I know I can get by with at least 2 weeks before I have to worry about the battery. This means that if I'm going away on a trip, I definitely can't leave the ZDX at the airport. Overall I love the car but it isn't very practical... especially when you have a small child. I also doubt you can fit two golf clubs in the trunk without taking out the side partition covers.... I have to do this on mine just to fit the umbrella stroller in the car. Basically, it's almost like owning a coupe again.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:24 PM
Pro

as for running boards you just gotta learn to step on them right
i find them very useful now that i got used to them
Old 06-02-2013, 10:44 PM
Intermediate

You did yourself a favor IMHO, the 20 inch wheels are an invitation to a rougher ride a damaged wheels and with already wide door sills, the running boards exacerbate that issue and get your pants dirty. =)
Old 06-08-2013, 09:34 PM
10th Gear

You know what though, the sound system in the ZDX makes it worth it. We just traded in our RL for a Touareg Exec with the Dynaudio system and it sounds horrible. Once you start playing "complex" music... stuff that has a mix of high's and bass, vocals and multiple wide ranging instruments, the Dynaudio just starts to sound muddy. My wife commented right away after trading in the RL, "What's wrong with the sound" when we were driving home in the Touareg. The Bose in the RL was developed about half a decade before the Dynaudio in Touareg and it sounds much better.

Now when we move from the ZDX to the Touareg, it's an even bigger difference. The audio in the ZDX is light years ahead of the Touareg. I've been thinking about trading in the ZDX... maybe sometime Spring of next year but it'll be tough to find something that sounds just as good from the factory.