Lowered the ZDX on coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2021 | 09:26 PM
Pro

Lowered the ZDX on coilovers

One of our ZDX's has been getting noise coming from the front end. After inspection the top mount bushings to the struts were shot. After some research I decided I wanted to lower this one properly and see how the coil-overs would work. I only found one company that makes coil-overs for the ZDX and I never heard of them before. So I knew it would be a gamble. But to my surprise they ride very good and are adjustable damper and height. The company I went with is called SF Racing and can be bought on their website for 999.00. Everything is a perfect fit and direct bolt on. Compared to stock the handling is excellent, the ride is very comfortable. Though a bit firmer then stock its not bad on the 19" stocks. I found it to be bumpy till I adjusted the damper correctly, now is such a sporty ride, I love it!

The following 4 users liked this post by mugen_kid:
CyberVyber (10-17-2022), LC-TL2002 (09-01-2021), robpp (05-13-2021), silverTL6 (08-18-2023)
Old 05-12-2021 | 09:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Your ZDX looks fantastic, I have to say. That color is the only one besides my own (and the uber-rare Canadian blue) that I think REALLY brings out every line and curve. Your aesthetic mods are tasteful and really add to the upscale, sporty look. Well done!
The following 2 users liked this post by DJ Iceman:
mugen_kid (05-13-2021), silverTL6 (08-18-2023)
Old 05-13-2021 | 12:29 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by DJ Iceman
Your ZDX looks fantastic, I have to say. That color is the only one besides my own (and the uber-rare Canadian blue) that I think REALLY brings out every line and curve. Your aesthetic mods are tasteful and really add to the upscale, sporty look. Well done!
Thanks a lot, this color has really grown on me. I do agree the lines show much better on this color.
Old 05-13-2021 | 10:44 AM
Graphite Ghost

Yeah Im jelly AWPII here

The darker colors get that great flop. White Pearl not so much
Old 05-13-2021 | 01:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mugen_kid
One of our ZDX's has been getting noise coming from the front end. After inspection the top mount bushings to the struts were shot. After some research I decided I wanted to lower this one properly and see how the coil-overs would work. I only found one company that makes coil-overs for the ZDX and I never heard of them before. So I knew it would be a gamble. But to my surprise they ride very good and are adjustable damper and height. The company I went with is called SF Racing and can be bought on their website for 999.00. Everything is a perfect fit and direct bolt on. Compared to stock the handling is excellent, the ride is very comfortable. Though a bit firmer then stock its not bad on the 19" stocks. I found it to be bumpy till I adjusted the damper correctly, now is such a sporty ride, I love it!
Very nice MK.

How hard was it to dial in the initially installed 'bumpy ride' setup to get the damper corrected perfect sporty ride?

Additionally, did they provide any specs to works from to get the initial ride height?

-ZDXSR

Old 05-14-2021 | 11:02 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by robpp
Yeah Im jelly AWPII here

The darker colors get that great flop. White Pearl not so much
Though I love the darker colors I feel White is the sexiest of them all.
The following users liked this post:
robpp (05-14-2021)
Old 05-14-2021 | 11:24 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by zdxsr
Very nice MK.

How hard was it to dial in the initially installed 'bumpy ride' setup to get the damper corrected perfect sporty ride?

Additionally, did they provide any specs to works from to get the initial ride height?

-ZDXSR
The install was very easy, but it did take awhile to dial in the car for the best ride. I took the rear apart 5 times just get the height I wanted. The front was perfect drop by luck. I have the dampers set pretty high to stop the bouncy feeling, 20 clicks front and 18 clicks rear. Still testing settings but I'm happy with the ride. Feels like a sporty car now. Acceleration has improved, handling is amazing. The biggest complaint I have is on a really rough road you feel it. But I haven't had a set of coilovers that didn't feel like that. Plus our roads in AZ are good. I drove our other ZDX last night with stock suspension. I can say the stock suspension rides better and absorbs big bumps better.

No specs given, they basically make them short to fit in the box. I just dialed in the preload for the springs and did my height adjustment and hoped for the right drop. The rear you need to preload the spring then adjust your shock to the correct height. Its pretty easy just time consuming on getting it the ride height you like.
robpp (05-14-2021)
Old 05-14-2021 | 04:32 PM
Instructor

This was my first white car. It DOES look great with the tinted windows, and I like white now because it stays/looks cleaner, but the darker colors will always be more striking/sexy. Too bad not practical.
Big wheels & lowered suspension looks great also, but ground clearance DOES come in handy when struggling up my driveway after a blizzard.
Old 07-15-2021 | 10:32 AM
Pro

Hey gang,

Wanted to give an update on the coilovers since I have traveled out of state a couple times. Mostly these have been good for AZ, the roads here are ok (use to be the best) When traveling out of town on different roads I can say the ride is no where close to stock. It's pretty bouncy even after adjusting the dampers more. The OEM suspension soaks up the bumps much better, and rides more plush. I wanted to just warn people thinking of going this route what to expect. I was hoping for a better ride. It's kinda expected on coilovers. Is it awful? no, I really only notice it on really bad pavement, speed bumps. It handles amazing though!

The following 3 users liked this post by mugen_kid:
DJ Iceman (07-16-2021), kevin barbee (07-16-2021), LC-TL2002 (09-01-2021)
Old 07-15-2021 | 10:58 AM

Love your car!
the updated grille is sexy!

also, glad you didnt go too low.. that drop is perfect!
mugen_kid (07-17-2021)
Old 07-15-2021 | 12:58 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by justnspace
Love your car!
the updated grille is sexy!

also, glad you didnt go too low.. that drop is perfect!
Thanks! I do like the moderate drop, I had to raise it a little in the rear to even it out.
Old 07-16-2021 | 11:13 AM
ZDX LOVER

Impressed with the work you done and the know how!
mugen_kid (07-17-2021)
Old 07-17-2021 | 07:30 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by kevin barbee
Impressed with the work you done and the know how!
Thank you sir!
Old 09-08-2021 | 12:54 PM
Cruisin'

Great job in maintaining the look of your ZDX, I still have my 2011 Tech with 104K miles and I don't want to get rid of it. Recently I drive over a nail in a Home Depot parking lot and had a flat tire. I couldn't get the bolts off the wheels so I called for road service. When the guy came, he thought the car was new!!
Old 09-08-2021 | 01:22 PM
Instructor

Luckily, when I had a tire failure on my 2012, it went flat in my garage (a nail). Thus I had all the tools at hand needed to remove the lug nuts, but I STILL couldn’t get the #!%$# wheel off! It was ‘welded’ to the hub (corrosion). Your post reminds me to make sure the person at the tire store who installs new tires this winter, also applies anti-seize to all metal mating surfaces. If I have a major tire failure out on the highway (more severe than a ‘fix-a-flat’ can could handle), and where there is no cell phone service, cranking down the spare & assembling the mickey mouse jack would be hassle enough, without the added grief of ‘wrestling’ a frozen wheel off!
Old 09-20-2021 | 11:08 AM
Instructor

Hey, Mugen Kid,

Looks like you've been on your updated suspension for four months now, are you happy with it?
Old 12-22-2021 | 02:17 PM
4th Gear

Hey gang,

Wanted to give an update on the coilovers since I have traveled out of state a couple times. Mostly these have been good for AZ, the roads here are ok (use to be the best) When traveling out of town on different roads I can say the ride is no where close to stock. It's pretty bouncy even after adjusting the dampers more. The OEM suspension soaks up the bumps much better, and rides more plush. I wanted to just warn people thinking of going this route what to expect. I was hoping for a better ride. It's kinda expected on coilovers. Is it awful? no, I really only notice it on really bad pavement, speed bumps. It handles amazing though!

Hey was wondering, when driving on those rougher roads did you notice noise/creaking from the glass roof? Im having lots of noise issues in the glass top just from the stock suspension.
cecijrc76 (10-24-2024)
Old 10-13-2022 | 01:55 PM
5th Gear

Angry Front struts replacement part.

one of our zdx's has been getting noise coming from the front end. After inspection the top mount bushings to the struts were shot. After some research i decided i wanted to lower this one properly and see how the coil-overs would work. I only found one company that makes coil-overs for the zdx and i never heard of them before. So i knew it would be a gamble. But to my surprise they ride very good and are adjustable damper and height. The company i went with is called sf racing and can be bought on their website for 999.00. Everything is a perfect fit and direct bolt on. Compared to stock the handling is excellent, the ride is very comfortable. Though a bit firmer then stock its not bad on the 19" stocks. I found it to be bumpy till i adjusted the damper correctly, now is such a sporty ride, i love it!

i have blown a front strut and can not get a new one to replace it yet having a tuff time getting it, any ideas sf racing an year old.
Old 06-15-2023 | 11:19 PM
Advanced

white is the sexiest lok
Old 10-24-2024 | 11:07 AM
1st Gear

That grille looks awesome!! What year model is that from? Did you have mod it in any way?
Thank you