First impressions of my ZDX

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 02:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
First impressions of my ZDX

Well, I've had my ZDX for 5 days now and would like to share some initial thoughts compared to my '10 MDX. I love, love, love the styling. Seems like everyone and their brother has an MDX nowadays. Every car should have smart access and push-button start. I really miss the storage compartment on the passenger side lower console. I do not like the smallish map pockets on the front doors and lack of bottle/can holders front and rear. C'mom Acura where's the LED taillights, stoplights, cargo light and vanity lights? I like the under cargo floor storage. I do not like the push-to-open gas door. I like the side storage areas. I love the gauge package and larger MID display with Instant MPG. I really like the steering wheel; it seems thicker than the MDX's. I like the bi-xenon HID headlights. The 19" wheels are sharp. The ESL system is a step higher in sound quality, if that is possible. I have mixed feelings about the glass roof. I do not like the transparent panels on the dual sun roof, as they seem to let in more noise than the MDX's solid panel when it is closed. Contrary to what the car mag "experts" say, the ZDX handles better than the MDX and has better road feel. I do not notice any difference in pick up or tranny function. That's all for now. I will report again soon.

Last edited by Rexorg; 11-30-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:55 PM
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts
Glad to hear your enjoying the car so far. I too hated the fact Acura did not do LEDs for the taillights. I think the design of the glow with the triangle in the middle gives it a cool illuminating look to it at night, so I have grown to love it actually. I have thought about buying some extra taillights to do some LED work on, maybe in the future.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Same for me about the tail lights.

I'm glad though that Acura doesn't 'shamelessly' copy the led from Audi/Porsche like Mercedes and Kia... (!!)

Rexorg, I wonder why you don't like the push-to-open gas door?
For me, it's a major convenience (along with smart access and push-start)
Old 12-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts
+1 for tail lights issue
i've been quoted about 500-800$ by LED retrofitters here to make it look somewhat close to ZDX concept
unless the ZDX gets a LED tail lights restyling soon or aftermarket options I'll have to consider that
Old 12-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ZZZZZDX_White

I'm glad though that Acura doesn't 'shamelessly' copy the led from Audi/Porsche like Mercedes and Kia... (!!)

Rexorg, I wonder why you don't like the push-to-open gas door?
For me, it's a major convenience (along with smart access and push-start)
It just seems cheap (plastic?) to me and the gaps are too big around the door, plus the door itself seems loose, but other than that it is OK.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Rexorg
It just seems cheap (plastic?) to me and the gaps are too big around the door, plus the door itself seems loose, but other than that it is OK.
The gaps around the whole damn car are too big. I would think it would be a tighter fit for the price you pay. The front door sounds very cheap when you close it too.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mugen_kid
The gaps around the whole damn car are too big. I would think it would be a tighter fit for the price you pay. The front door sounds very cheap when you close it too.
Ditto on the gaps, especially on the back doors. I am guessing the larger gaps on the roof line were intentional so as not to break the glass roof panels going over bumps, etc. I think the larger front doors were made as light as possible to save weight and for easier opening by old buggers like me.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:23 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny enough the ZDX sold in Canada has LED tail lights and power folding mirrors... but is only available in the Tech Package so they can't get the Dynamics, Collision Mitigation, Blind Spot, and Ventilated Seats.

I both love and loath Acura's tendency towards one size fits all packages. I would have loved to have had the Dynamics feature and Ventilated seats but not the other two features of the Advance Package.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:17 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by xriotproofx
Funny enough the ZDX sold in Canada has LED tail lights and power folding mirrors... but is only available in the Tech Package so they can't get the Dynamics, Collision Mitigation, Blind Spot, and Ventilated Seats.

I both love and loath Acura's tendency towards one size fits all packages. I would have loved to have had the Dynamics feature and Ventilated seats but not the other two features of the Advance Package.
It definitely does not have LED tail lights Just checked this again. They simply don't exist for the ZDX yet. I hope to see them in 2013 facelift.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by xriotproofx

I wonder if I could retro fit the power folding mirrors on mine.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:42 PM
El Chulo...

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb with the bases loaded

Originally Posted by ZZZZZDX_White

Honestly guys, even though the ZDX doesn't have LED tail lights, it has Stunning tail lights... The Tri-force of light is truely a thing of beauty. Acura didn't put the LED's in the tails like the rest of the auto industry and in my honest opinion they still hit a home run with their design. Go out side and look at our beautiful taillights (go ahead i'll wait)... You see just amazing! So I say keep your LED's i'll keep my work of modern art.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:16 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by VeNeNo
Honestly guys, even though the ZDX doesn't have LED tail lights, it has Stunning tail lights... The Tri-force of light is truely a thing of beauty. Acura didn't put the LED's in the tails like the rest of the auto industry and in my honest opinion they still hit a home run with their design. Go out side and look at our beautiful taillights (go ahead i'll wait)... You see just amazing! So I say keep your LED's i'll keep my work of modern art.
I agree that ZDX tail lights design is amazing. But then again LEDs are brighter (also means safety) and last much longer than filament bulbs. In 21st century ignoring LEDs is like ignoring disc brakes, HID headlights and other nice modern stuff.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sandro
I agree that ZDX tail lights design is amazing. But then again LEDs are brighter (also means safety) and last much longer than filament bulbs. In 21st century ignoring LEDs is like ignoring disc brakes, HID headlights and other nice modern stuff.
I agree Acura dropped the ball on not having more LEDs on the ZDX among other things, but I am sure the bottom line was more important at the time. Hopefully, the new MDX will have all the modern bells and whistles, as the ZDX's days are numbered.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:12 PM
El Chulo...

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Sandro/Rex show me a more beautiful tail light with LED's. LED's are nice, but safety is not compromised one bit by not having them. The filament bulb does just as good a job. Of course the LED bulb is a newer technology but it has its limitations for design as well. I feel that Acura didn't put them to cut cost but more based on the actual styling, again just my 2 cents. I am more than happy with the current set up in place. Food for thought; the base Camry comes stock with LEDs is it really a luxury...?
Old 03-26-2012, 08:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Sandro/Rex show me a more beautiful tail light with LED's. LED's are nice, but safety is not compromised one bit by not having them. The filament bulb does just as good a job. Of course the LED bulb is a newer technology but it has its limitations for design as well. I feel that Acura didn't put them to cut cost but more based on the actual styling, again just my 2 cents. I am more than happy with the current set up in place. Food for thought; the base Camry comes stock with LEDs is it really a luxury...?
Acura has always prided itself for cutting edge technology. LEDs should have been used wherever possible in the ZDX, IMHO. Not having them in the headlights, taillights, DRLs, vanity mirrors, trunk light, and courtesy door lights, etc. make the ZDX look old school for a $57K vehicle. My '06 RL had LEDs in the door handles.

Last edited by Rexorg; 03-26-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but for me Cadillac has the best LED taillights.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:30 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Rexorg
Acura has always prided itself for cutting edge technology. LEDs should have been used wherever possible in the ZDX, IMHO. Not having them in the headlights, taillights, DRLs, vanity mirrors, trunk light, and courtesy door lights, etc. make the ZDX look old school for a $57K vehicle. My '06 RL had LEDs in the door handles.
Thats exactly what I mean.
I bet than after facelift ZDX tail lights will be just as beautiful, with same forms but with LEDs
Old 03-26-2012, 04:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anybody in canada how had a 2012 ZDX with LED tail lights please show off a picture
i think we like to see it
Old 03-26-2012, 05:21 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Towtae
anybody in canada how had a 2012 ZDX with LED tail lights please show off a picture
i think we like to see it
No such ZDX exist in Canada You can check pics on autotrader.ca
Tail lights are just like ours