Big Reveal: 17.08.23

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 12:16 PM
Drifting

Received 1,272 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
Hertz selling a third of their EV fleet is all you need to hear...
Looks like the cat is out of the bag: EV drivers crash more than ICE ones!

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla...120018537.html
Old 01-19-2024, 12:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Looks like the cat is out of the bag: EV drivers crash more than ICE ones!

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla...120018537.html
Who would have thought that giving drivers (many of whom have never driven powerful cars) all those gobs of instant torque would lead to more accidents? Shocker
The following users liked this post:
pilozm (02-05-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 05:53 PM
Safety Car

Pricing is out:
https://hondanews.com/en-US/releases...814e97e-photos

$64,500 for the RWD
$68,500 for the AWD
$73,500 for the Type S

That's about $6000 more than the Lyriq. Might be a hard sell at that price point.
The following 4 users liked this post by fiatlux:
ELIN (01-19-2024), ESHBG (01-21-2024), pilozm (02-05-2024), Temp_A-Spec (01-19-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 06:20 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Do we have a Gen 2 section yet for the new ZDX?

I want to see some discussion and when it will actually be delivered to us?

this might be a good replacement for my Tesla Model Y Performance.

wonder if they will lease it?

all I can do is deposit $1k. No other info I see.
Old 01-19-2024, 09:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Pricing is out:
https://hondanews.com/en-US/releases...814e97e-photos

$64,500 for the RWD
$68,500 for the AWD
$73,500 for the Type S

That's about $6000 more than the Lyriq. Might be a hard sell at that price point.
Not bad, no one wants those base Lyriq anyway, so I think ZDX A-spec is reasonably priced.

Type-S is priced well IMHO, $5k is a bargain for super cruise, air suspension, brembo, and boost mode (I think Type-S will come with something similar to the Velocity mode on Lyriq as standard).
Tony Pac (01-24-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 07:14 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by sonyfever
Not bad, no one wants those base Lyriq anyway, so I think ZDX A-spec is reasonably priced.

Type-S is priced well IMHO, $5k is a bargain for super cruise, air suspension, brembo, and boost mode (I think Type-S will come with something similar to the Velocity mode on Lyriq as standard).
If I'm buying now, I rather buy the bigger MDX Type S over the ZDX Type S. Let someone else be a beta tester!

Acura is smart to let the ZDX be online purchase only. Bypass all the sales folks who will know just about as much as the customer anyway. Let the onus be on the ZDX customer for being informed!
pilozm (02-05-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 03:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Temp_A-Spec
I want to see some discussion and when it will actually be delivered to us?

this might be a good replacement for my Tesla Model Y Performance.

wonder if they will lease it?

all I can do is deposit $1k. No other info I see.
I am among the few people that are interested in ZDX. TBH, don't think there is much interest outside of Acura loyalist.

There will be a lease program for sure. It is mentioned in the press release on ZDX pricing. I suspect most people will lease anyway.

I had a chat with a salesperson today. The only new info is that they are told demo units arriving in Feb, but he expects it to be March. Each dealership should have at least two units, one for display and one for test drive. They do not know which trim the demo units will be yet.

Old 01-20-2024, 04:17 PM
Burning Brakes

BTW, some recent news related to ZDX :

- GM has dropped Ultra Cruise (the one that uses Lidar) and will instead further develop Super Cruise. That is great news, as the change likely means SC will expand to cover more local roads.
- The big cousin of ZDX-S is launching this year. Easy to guess mechanically, Lyriq V will be ZDX-S with the Blazer SS powertrain. The timing of Lyriq V and Blazer SS (spring 2024) makes me wonder, maybe ZDX-S is software limited to 500hp, and Acura will offer paid Sport+ mode to unlock the full power?
Old 01-20-2024, 09:27 PM
mvl
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 160 Posts
Also noticed in the press release that that the 2024 ZDX is now getting a free Tesla charging adapter. Previously it was only announced for MY 2025.
Old 01-20-2024, 10:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mvl
Also noticed in the press release that that the 2024 ZDX is now getting a free Tesla charging adapter. Previously it was only announced for MY 2025.
MY25 will replace the CCS port on the car with NACS one.
Old 01-22-2024, 06:58 AM
Instructor

I’m sure it’s just biased but I see many folks in the Lyriq group saying they chose the Lyriq instead of the ZDX wait due to it being a more proven product and more fancy with it being a Caddy along with more classy looks.

hard to actually say but the ZDX won’t get into many hands for a bit still and I do see the Lyriq has been selling pretty good.

def lots more to digest yet before pulling the trigger on either but I’m leaning towards the Lyriq at the moment just due to availability and while sales are slumping in the car market

pilozm (02-05-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 07:01 AM
Drifting

I’m sure it’s just biased but I see many folks in the Lyriq group saying they chose the Lyriq instead of the ZDX wait due to it being a more proven product and more fancy with it being a Caddy along with more classy looks.

hard to actually say but the ZDX won’t get into many hands for a bit still and I do see the Lyriq has been selling pretty good.

def lots more to digest yet before pulling the trigger on either but I’m leaning towards the Lyriq at the moment just due to availability and while sales are slumping in the car market
If I'm not mistaken, there were heavy incentives to create that initial Lyriq fanbase as well that may be gone now.
Old 01-22-2024, 11:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, ZDX is after all an average product spec-wise. There is no good reason to stick with it unless one is loyal to Acura, and that appears to be what Honda is banking on.

Lyriq is probably the better choice for most. The reasons I skip it after sitting in one is that the car is not sporty at all, and the interior feels too plasticky in person.
Old 01-24-2024, 10:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Macan EV has been leaked ahead of official launch:
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...ok-228153.html

Anyone like this more than ZDX?
pilozm (02-05-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 01:10 AM
Safety Car

Macan EV has been leaked ahead of official launch:
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...ok-228153.html

Anyone like this more than ZDX?
Given that it's a Porsche, the price tag is going to be eyewatering once you spec it out with a decent options list. It's also in a different class; the Macan is firmly in the compact segment, whereas the ZDX is firmly a midsize. A hypothetical Cayenne EV would be a better match, price tag notwithstanding.

That said, I suspect it's going to have better hardware than the ZDX. The PPE platform is based on the MEB platform that has already had plenty of time to get refined with lots of development money already sunk in; VW's already sold over 30M cars on that platform.

Last edited by fiatlux; 01-25-2024 at 01:16 AM.
Old 01-25-2024, 06:43 AM
Drifting

As it's not a full fledged Honda/Acura product, one would hope this ZDX doesn't also suffer from the exploding rear windshield issue. I guess we're a long ways off from finding out since it's only happening to RDXs that are anywhere from a couple months to over a year out of warranty!
Old 01-25-2024, 10:14 AM
Safety Car

Given that it's a Porsche, the price tag is going to be eyewatering once you spec it out with a decent options list. It's also in a different class; the Macan is firmly in the compact segment, whereas the ZDX is firmly a midsize. A hypothetical Cayenne EV would be a better match, price tag notwithstanding.

That said, I suspect it's going to have better hardware than the ZDX. The PPE platform is based on the MEB platform that has already had plenty of time to get refined with lots of development money already sunk in; VW's already sold over 30M cars on that platform.
And there we have it. Base stripper model starts at $79K. I imagine well-equipped, you’re looking at mid-90s. Yeah, I don’t think Acura needs to worry about cross-shoppers with Porsche.
Old 01-25-2024, 10:35 AM
Drifting

And there we have it. Base stripper model starts at $79K. I imagine well-equipped, you’re looking at mid-90s. Yeah, I don’t think Acura needs to worry about cross-shoppers with Porsche.
No, I don't think $200+ oil changes are palatable to the typical Acura shopper let alone whatever "services" a Porsche EV commands!
Old 01-25-2024, 10:42 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Smile AutoGuide

https://www.autoguide.com/auto/featu...acura-44609185

Acura Engineers Moved from Japan to Make Sure the ZDX is All Acura

by Colum Wood

Published: January 24th, 2024 Share
It’s no secret that Acura’s 1st ever electric car isn’t all Acura. Or is it?

Recently Jonathon Rivers, the brand’s manager of product planning, joined The AutoGuide Show podcast to discuss the launch of the new ZDX and what the Honda luxury division did to stay true to the Acura brand.

Acura hasn’t been shy about how the ZDX is based on the same platform as some General Motors products, like the Cadillac Lyriq, and that it will be powered by GM’s Ultium batteries.

“It’s no secret that we did co-development with GM,” said Rivers. “But that’s exactly what it is - complete co-development. There’s no badge engineering here.”

All Acura Design

Acura’s commitment means the car’s design is all Acura, with the exterior executed by the brand’s design studio in Los Angeles. “If you look at the car it’s very unique, and yet it fits with the Acura design language,” says Rivers.

But for the hard engineering, that had to take place in Detroit.

“From the onset, Honda and Acura actually assigned key engineers to the development of ZDX and many of them actually moved to Michigan,” said Rivers. “And whether that was from Ohio or even Japan, they actually moved their families and their lives to go work hand-in-hand with the engineering team at General Motors.”

The Result

The results, he said, are what journalists, and then the buying public, will get to experience in the future.

“And what that did, is it allowed them to have a lot of control as to the styling of what the vehicle would look like. And to ensure that it looks, feels, and most importantly drives, like an Acura.”

Acura has already released plenty of specs on the vehicle with an entry-level A-Spec model starting at $64,500, delivering 340-hp and between 315-325 miles of range. An S Type model will also be on offer with 500-hp and approximately 288 miles of range. The S Type will retail from $73,500.

The ZDX is currently available for pre-order via Acura’s website with the 1st deliveries planned for early Spring of this year.

For more on the ZDX and to listen to the full interview with Jonathon Rivers, be sure to check out The AutoGuide Show podcast and subscribe today!

Become an AutoGuide insider. Get the latest from the automotive world first by subscribing to our newsletter here.

Tony Pac (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 11:43 AM
Safety Car

Played around with the configurator. A base Macan with just the leather interior, premium package, and Burmester sound system costs $93K. If I spec it out the way I'd like it (with the sport seats, sport chrono package, rear axle steering, acoustic glass, deviated stiched, GT steering wheel, 360 camera and lane keep, and HUD) it comes to a whopping $106K.
Old 01-25-2024, 12:07 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,618 Likes on 975 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69

https://www.autoguide.com/auto/featu...acura-44609185

Acura Engineers Moved from Japan to Make Sure the ZDX is All Acura

by Colum Wood

Published: January 24th, 2024 Share
It’s no secret that Acura’s 1st ever electric car isn’t all Acura. Or is it?

Recently Jonathon Rivers, the brand’s manager of product planning, joined The AutoGuide Show podcast to discuss the launch of the new ZDX and what the Honda luxury division did to stay true to the Acura brand.

Acura hasn’t been shy about how the ZDX is based on the same platform as some General Motors products, like the Cadillac Lyriq, and that it will be powered by GM’s Ultium batteries.

“It’s no secret that we did co-development with GM,” said Rivers. “But that’s exactly what it is - complete co-development. There’s no badge engineering here.”

All Acura Design

Acura’s commitment means the car’s design is all Acura, with the exterior executed by the brand’s design studio in Los Angeles. “If you look at the car it’s very unique, and yet it fits with the Acura design language,” says Rivers.

But for the hard engineering, that had to take place in Detroit.

“From the onset, Honda and Acura actually assigned key engineers to the development of ZDX and many of them actually moved to Michigan,” said Rivers. “And whether that was from Ohio or even Japan, they actually moved their families and their lives to go work hand-in-hand with the engineering team at General Motors.”

The Result

The results, he said, are what journalists, and then the buying public, will get to experience in the future.

“And what that did, is it allowed them to have a lot of control as to the styling of what the vehicle would look like. And to ensure that it looks, feels, and most importantly drives, like an Acura.”

Acura has already released plenty of specs on the vehicle with an entry-level A-Spec model starting at $64,500, delivering 340-hp and between 315-325 miles of range. An S Type model will also be on offer with 500-hp and approximately 288 miles of range. The S Type will retail from $73,500.

The ZDX is currently available for pre-order via Acura’s website with the 1st deliveries planned for early Spring of this year.

For more on the ZDX and to listen to the full interview with Jonathon Rivers, be sure to check out The AutoGuide Show podcast and subscribe today!

Become an AutoGuide insider. Get the latest from the automotive world first by subscribing to our newsletter here.

Very impressive! Acura's entire lineup is built in America. But the mindset is all Japanese. A few years ago, I spoke to a high level director of Honda Canada at an event, and she told me for marketing reasons, "We promote Acura as a Japanese brand but built in America." But in reality she was saying it's very Japanese and top level engineers fly for months and years to work on new engines, design, and performance. When I read this article about ZDX, I exactly remembered my conversation with her.
ZDX might be a co-development with GM but I am confident it will drive very different than GM products and the performance will be very unique to Acura.

Old 01-25-2024, 01:27 PM
Safety Car

Prologue pricing is out, and it's a lot better priced and positioned than the ZDX.

https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-au...riced-at-47400

Starts at $47K for the RWD with 296 miles EPA rated. Undercuts the base Blazer EV by nearly $10K. It's very well priced, and I think the Touring and Elite trims are going to take a lot of sales from the (overpriced and underwhelming) ZDX.
Old 01-25-2024, 01:42 PM
Drifting

Prologue pricing is out, and it's a lot better priced and positioned than the ZDX.

https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-au...riced-at-47400

Starts at $47K for the RWD with 296 miles EPA rated. Undercuts the base Blazer EV by nearly $10K. It's very well priced, and I think the Touring and Elite trims are going to take a lot of sales from the (overpriced and underwhelming) ZDX.
Wow! Good luck finding a $20k difference b/w the base Prologue and the base ZDX. LOL!
Old 01-25-2024, 01:44 PM
Safety Car

Wow! Good luck finding a $20k difference b/w the base Prologue and the base ZDX. LOL!
Not to mention that the Prologue looks better, to me at least. The rear end gives off some Range Rover Evoque vibes, whereas the ZDX gives off funeral home hearse vibes.
ELIN (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 01:44 PM
AZ Community Team

I was checking Acura.ca and this picture showed up! The ZDX' interior is so classy and beautifully made! Much better than the GM products (although some parts are straight from GM). It's simple but very pleasing to be inside. Also, it doesn't look like gimmicky and computerish. Well done Acura! First try to build EV but so far impressive. Now bring it on and show us performance in EV.

Old 01-25-2024, 01:49 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
I was checking Acura.ca and this picture showed up! The ZDX' interior is so classy and beautifully made! Much better than the GM products (although some parts are straight from GM). It's simple but very pleasing to be inside. Also, it doesn't look like gimmicky and computerish. Well done Acura! First try to build EV but so far impressive. Now bring it on and show us performance in EV.

Don't you mean well done Honda? This is pretty much the same as the Prologue interior, only with more leather and a shroud that goes over the gauge display. Steering wheel, HVAC controls, infotainment system, gauges, dashboard, door switchgear, etc. are all identical. The only major difference I see is that the ZDX cupholders are slightly offset whereas the Prologue is side by side.

At the Prologue's price point, the interior design looks nice. At the ZDX's price point, the interior design looks underwhelming. The Lyriq's interior looks befitting of a car of that price point; I know Acura wanted to keep them distinct, but in this case theirs just pales in comparison. Perhaps simply dressing up the Honda interior a little bit wasn't such a great move. But, we'll know once we see the sales figures; of course, if they're bad I'm sure some folks will just claim it's a supply issue, and not indicative of no one wanting one.

Last edited by fiatlux; 01-25-2024 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-25-2024, 02:03 PM
AZ Community Team

Don't you mean well done Honda? This is pretty much the same as the Prologue interior, only with more leather and a shroud that goes over the gauge display. Steering wheel, HVAC controls, infotainment system, gauges, dashboard, door switchgear, etc. are all identical. The only major difference I see is that the ZDX cupholders are slightly offset whereas the Prologue is side by side.

At the Prologue's price point, the interior design looks nice. At the ZDX's price point, the interior design looks underwhelming. The Lyriq's interior looks befitting of a car of that price point; I know Acura wanted to keep them distinct, but in this case theirs just pales in comparison. Perhaps simply dressing up the Honda interior a little bit wasn't such a great move. But, we'll know once we see the sales figures; of course, if they're bad I'm sure some folks will just claim it's a supply issue, and not indicative of no one wanting one.
Well Acura or Honda....same company! At the end credit goes to Honda to supporting their Luxury division and bringing top performance vehicles to us. Honda gave Acura a better car, Teggy than its own CTR. All we can say good job Honda and Acura. Keep up the great work!
Old 01-25-2024, 08:05 PM
Burning Brakes

FWD with weak sauce 200-ish power on a 5000lbs plus car, this one alone is enough to justify ZDX! The targeted audience of Prologue is the same one as Ariya, not ZDX.
Old 01-25-2024, 08:16 PM
Burning Brakes

I was checking Acura.ca and this picture showed up! The ZDX' interior is so classy and beautifully made!
I wish I breath the same air as you. ZDX interior still looks out of place to me. Acura can be conservative, or "driver-focused" in marketing speech, but the execution is sloppy to say the least. Just look at Macan EV to see how to do a high quality yet driver-focused interior. Just some extra touches to the bland dashboard, and replacing the metal door trims with wood, would have gone a long way.

Adding insult to injury, I would say 2025 Equinox integrates the same HVAC control and infotainment screen much better than ZDX.
The following 2 users liked this post by sonyfever:
pilozm (02-05-2024), silverTL6 (01-31-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 08:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Played around with the configurator. A base Macan with just the leather interior, premium package, and Burmester sound system costs $93K. If I spec it out the way I'd like it (with the sport seats, sport chrono package, rear axle steering, acoustic glass, deviated stiched, GT steering wheel, 360 camera and lane keep, and HUD) it comes to a whopping $106K.
It is a Porsche after all. I actually think Porsche is more reasonable this time. The premium package at $4k is a bargain, and driving assistance is only $960.
Old 01-26-2024, 09:15 AM
AZ Community Team

I wish I breath the same air as you. ZDX interior still looks out of place to me. Acura can be conservative, or "driver-focused" in marketing speech, but the execution is sloppy to say the least. Just look at Macan EV to see how to do a high quality yet driver-focused interior. Just some extra touches to the bland dashboard, and replacing the metal door trims with wood, would have gone a long way.

Adding insult to injury, I would say 2025 Equinox integrates the same HVAC control and infotainment screen much better than ZDX.
Fair enough!

Btw - the new Macan is just beautiful. I am not a huge fan of EVs. First, I thought Acura did a good job to bring ZDX as I loved the interior and exterior design. But What Porsche just showed us yesterday...I remain speechless. At the end of the day, it's Porsche you pay what you get!
Old 01-26-2024, 09:25 AM
Drifting

FWD with weak sauce 200-ish power on a 5000lbs plus car, this one alone is enough to justify ZDX! The targeted audience of Prologue is the same one as Ariya, not ZDX.
This is a fair point and reinforcing the fact that Honda/Acura will do whatever it takes not to cannibalize sales from each other (see elimination of 2.0L from Accord lineup).
Old 01-27-2024, 08:44 AM
Instructor

After diving down the rabbit hole I’m seeing tons of Lyriq owners having many serious issues with the cars along with the learning curves to being an EV owner.

its actually pushing me away from getting a Lyriq not only due to the issues but how they just don’t have enough higher trim units available like the Sport 3 version which I thought would be sitting on lots.

also found out that the interior materials were sourced for the basic GM cars and not Caddy premium materials not to just cut cost but a deal that was made to buy from a certain supplier. This really made the interior that much cheaper and less real Caddy feel!

with a V version coming which is a more cost increase but not much more value even given the power bump it’s still gonna fail.

the 2023 vs 2024 models seem to hit lots earlier than normal and under the door handle changed due to obvious issues with daily use and cold weather.

when will the ZDX actually launch and be able to buy and receive? By summer 2024? Seems like the longer it takes there will be more Lyriq buyers til then.

Old 01-27-2024, 12:06 PM
AZ Community Team

ZDX Was Ahead of its Time. Here’s Why Acura Brought The Name Back

https://www.autoguide.com/auto/manuf...e-bac-44609221
DJ Iceman (01-27-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 02:53 PM
Burning Brakes

After diving down the rabbit hole I’m seeing tons of Lyriq owners having many serious issues with the cars along with the learning curves to being an EV owner.
When will the ZDX actually launch and be able to buy and receive? By summer 2024? Seems like the longer it takes there will be more Lyriq buyers til then.
The lyriq forum is certainly an interesting read. Let's hope Honda got all kinds of penalty clauses written in the contract for any possible quality/delivery woes.

The current schedule is Feb for ordering (yes the build you reserved is irrelevant, you can change it when you place the order) so expect delivery in April/May.

Just saw that Joe from Raiti's ride is at Daytona, and Acura has a white ZDX-S on display. He will post a walkaround later today.
The following 2 users liked this post by sonyfever:
pilozm (02-05-2024), Temp_A-Spec (01-27-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 03:01 PM
Drifting

Just saw that Joe from Raiti's ride is at Daytona, and Acura has a white ZDX-S on display. He will post a walkaround later today.
You can probably stuff quite a bit of Twinkies in that ZDX! LOL!
sonyfever (01-27-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 06:22 PM
AZ Community Team

Haven’t watched it yet. Enjoy:
pilozm (02-05-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 06:53 PM
Burning Brakes

You can probably stuff quite a bit of Twinkies in that ZDX! LOL!
Sure enough, he mentioned Twinkies!
Old 01-28-2024, 06:45 AM
Drifting

Sure enough, he mentioned Twinkies!
That's his trademark expression in nearly all his videos!
Old 01-28-2024, 07:25 AM
Drifting

Haven’t watched it yet. Enjoy:
https://youtu.be/tS4G_Y7sGyI?si=3e_YXrMrWQeMAlSc
Watched the video and have the following comments:

1) I specifically waited for it but didn't hear one mention of the ZDX's ties to "GM Ultium". Was he told NOT to mention it? Seems odd for a professional reviewer...

2) Car still looks like a hearse but I'm sure some colors are worse than others (stay away from black I guess!).

3) 22" wheels on the Type S - in the BMW/Mercedes forums, one of the most common complaints is how the respective companies only sell the car w/22-23" wheels standard w/summer tires. The fact of the matter is it's nearly impossible to find 22-23" all-season or winter tires for a wheel this size! There are probably fewer options for A/S and winter tires combined than fingers on one hand! The press release also mentioned these would be RFT tires for Type S. Would these be the first RFT tires standard for any Acura (hopefully the other ZDX trims are not 22"!)? 22" RFT tire replacement means beaucoup bucks but anyone paying $73k+ for a Type S already has it I guess...

4) When Raiti opened the rear hatch, I was surprised by the actual opening into the trunk. Quite a bit of space is wasted to the left/right of the actual opening. Is this common for EVs?
The following 2 users liked this post by ELIN:
pilozm (02-05-2024), Tony Pac (01-28-2024)

Quick Reply: Big Reveal: 17.08.23