Zymol the blue stuff

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 03:02 AM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Zymol the blue stuff

Anyone tried this???

Well I asked the guy at the autostore about waxes and what would do the best job of hiding all the swirl marks and I bought Zymol cleaner wax.

All I can say is I always used meguiars and I am very impressed, but it did not had the scratches. Maybe a full detail will do it.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:15 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can try to just get a wax with ingredients to hide the swirls and scratches each time you wax or you can polish your paint to get rid of them all together.

Its hard to determine how and when you got your swirls/scratches because it can come from so many things. Like dirt thats trapped in your sponge when you wash your car or stitching on your towels when you dry your car.

You best bet is to attack the swirls with a good polish first.

http://www.autogeek.net/swreandpo.html
http://www.properautocare.com/polish.html
Old 10-18-2005, 07:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Very short term durability, and excessive dusting were what made me throw it out. Course that was several years ago also......Your best off finding a few products each designed with one job in mind, if your seeking serious car care.
Polish to remove scratches
Sealant to protect
Quick detailer to maintain.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:49 PM
Instructor

I agree with excel on this one....my face twists and contorts when I hear or read the name zymol. Crap is all I can think of. I also back up excel on the whole "different products for different jobs". If you use a cleaner wax, and it only "cleans" a little bit, than you are sealing the left behind dirt into the paint under a layer of wax. That's not what I would do. Clean, polish, protect. It's a simple as that.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:00 AM
Safety Car

Well this is the first time I used anything but megs.

Ok so what products should I buy from megs.

Cleaner wax
What polish???
Gold Class wax
Old 10-19-2005, 05:37 AM
Instructor

If you are dead set with using Meguiars - then use their Swirl Mark Remover #9 first. I would top it off with Meguiars NXT afterwards. This is essentially a two step process.

As a caveat - the Zymol you see over the counter at places like K-Mart is nothing but repackaged Turtle wax. Look at the similarity in their bottles and look at the label. They both come from the same place in the midwest. Its a shame because the real Zymol from Germany is good stuff indeed.

http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/?pa...8f0ad93db8e09f
Old 10-19-2005, 12:17 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also, if you are using a sponge to wash your car, relegate it to cleaning your rims. For washing the car, I've found real lambswool mitts to be the best in terms of price/noscratching ratio.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by focalmatic

As a caveat - the Zymol you see over the counter at places like K-Mart is nothing but repackaged Turtle wax. Look at the similarity in their bottles and look at the label. They both come from the same place in the midwest. Its a shame because the real Zymol from Germany is good stuff indeed.
Then they add some neat smelling coconut and banana essences.

It's not a bad product per se. Use it up until it dries out or use it solely for the insides of the door jambs and the inside lips of trunk, doors and hood. Being a cleaner wax, you can't use it as a topper for anything and you can't layer it. I don't like how it "clogs-up" terry towels.

I had an old bottle of the Original Carnauba only Zymol that came in a round upright bottle and I used it as a topper for Liquid Glass. It never lasted more than a week when subjected to autumn rain.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:24 PM
Safety Car

Yea so what does the Vinatage Estate glaze that cost $1511.00 do that Zaino cant.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:59 PM
Instructor

I dunno - I guess if you wax your car once every day for the rest of your life it would be worth it. That is for a lifetime supply. Maybe its worth it for those concours d'elegance competitors.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dnd2984
Yea so what does the Vinatage Estate glaze that cost $1511.00 do that Zaino cant.
Free refills !!! Im all over it !!
Old 10-20-2005, 05:35 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by maximumdetails
I agree with excel on this one....my face twists and contorts when I hear or read the name zymol. Crap is all I can think of. I also back up excel on the whole "different products for different jobs". If you use a cleaner wax, and it only "cleans" a little bit, than you are sealing the left behind dirt into the paint under a layer of wax. That's not what I would do. Clean, polish, protect. It's a simple as that.

I've had a chance to try out some of Zymo's concours series waxes. Some are amazing, but then again, it's not the stuff you find at autozone. That said, it's also not worth $100-500 a bottle to me
Old 10-20-2005, 05:57 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
There is a local guy that does UNREAL work that swears by Zymol

www.glisteningperfection.com

This is a car he did that has estate on it, but then again, when you have a car worth a few million, a grand isn't alot to spend on wax

Old 10-21-2005, 08:21 AM
Instructor

You guys are so crazy. Paint does NOT need to be "fed". That's ridiculous. You are all buying into a clever marketing scheme. That's it. In Reality, paint needs to be cleaned and protected (sealed). Also, to think that it's possible to make car specific waxes is just too insanse to even think about. Every new car has a base coat clear coat system. I feel really bad for that guy who owns an nsx and buys the wax for his specific car! Also, why are you going to pay $600 dollars for something that costs the owner of Zymol $3 dollars to fill? I bet the owner of Zymol is loaded right now because he has fooled so many people. He is a marketing genius, I'll give him that, but please, I beg everyone. Know how to properly care for your paint. If you knew that paint could not be "fed", then you wouldn't even look twice at this product.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Max, the term "feeding" is just a synonym which implies that oils (polishing/glazes/waxes/sealants) have been given (fed) to the surface to enrich the appearance of the paint.
Another synonym Ive used is "conditioning".
Old 10-23-2005, 07:24 PM
Instructor

Polishes/glazes/waxes/sealants are not oils. A polish is a polish, which is something you use to repair/perfect your finish. A glaze will have some types of fillers to fill swirls and hide minor imperfections. A sealant and a wax are both products you use to protect the surface of your car after it has been polished to perfection. There is no "feeding" of the paint going on. You cannot feed a clearcoat (i.e. put oils into it). You can put a glaze or filler on top of the clearcoat...but you cant put anything into it. The feeding that Zymol refers to are silicones that were previously used in inferior detailing products. You have to agree that it's ridiculous to spend that much money on a product like zymol....especially when there are superior products out there.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Max, all polishes contain oils, this is what provides lubrication between the pad and the surface. Next time you "polish", after your finished, wipe 1/2 the section down with some alcohol and see if you notice a difference.....The alcohol will remove the remaining oils. Some detailers prefer a completey sterile surface before applying sealants or other waxes. And this is a very routine practice for them.
Glazes are nothing but oils! Megs #7 is a good example, it never dries.....Vanilla Moose actually contains light abrasives, is it a glaze or a polish> You can use it for polishing, and it leaves behind trace amounts of oils, which fill minute crevices and spiderwebbing. Or you can wipe on wipe off, and use it as a glaze only......These oils add additional luster and depth, and also help deter oxidation, and industrial pollution....They condition the surface, providing invaluable oils and surface protection.
As stated...
feeding is just a synonym which implies that oils (polishing/glazes/waxes/sealants) have been given (fed) to the surface to enrich the appearance of the paint.
All four of those products, That I have ever used, contain oils. Rejuvinating oils....Meguiars calls them "trademark" oils....
Old 10-26-2005, 05:18 AM
Safety Car

O yea this Zymol shit sucked. My car was stored in doors for 2 days and the rest of the week outside, and it rained 2 days. The wax finish is almost gone. The meguirs quick wax last longer. I waxed the car on last monday or tuesday night.