Old 01-05-2001, 02:12 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zaino or Zymol?

Which one do you guys prefer?
Old 01-05-2001, 02:23 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Ive used Zaino... and why it gives good results... IMO its a pain to use... and also... i question the levels of protection it provides.

Havent used Zymol yet... but I hear it wears off quickly. no?

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow Fog Lights
Aftermarket Black Wood Trim Kit
Old 01-05-2001, 02:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

I like Zaino myself. Never tried Zymol. I've heard there's two versions of Zymol. One is ridiculously expensive (read: hundreds of dollars) and the other is just turtle wax in a Zymol bottle.
Old 01-05-2001, 03:30 PM
Pro

i havent used either, zymol is too expensive, and zaino seems like to much work, i haved always used mothers, its fast easy on and off and last 2-3 months

------------------
2001 acura cl type-s
comming soon
2000 accord v6 sedan
1997 4runner
1992 camaro
1993 volvo 850
Old 01-05-2001, 03:35 PM
Nosferatu

I've only used Zaino on my cars. Zymol is vitrually equivalent in the shine and gloss department but it is horrible in the durability department. So fat the 3 coats of Zaino I've applied to the CL in early October are still beading and shining away even after being parked outdoors 24/7, diving through all the salt and snow etc. Never seen anything protect that well.

Check out this picture of my GTX with 12 coats of Zaino (over a 6 month period, 2 Z1, 4 Z5 and 6 Z2)

------------------
Andrew S.
2000 Dark Forest Green GTP/GTX
14.413@95.03

My Mod Page

2001 San Marino Red Acura 3.2 CL Type S
* No Mods Yet, though planned *
Old 01-05-2001, 04:02 PM
Instructor

Cheap Zymol in Wal-Mart = Zurtle Wax. It sux, then again, what do you expect for $8.00?

Real Zymol www.zymol.com is hideously expensive carnuba based wax. This is the stuff you'll see at Pebble Beach, etc. Lasts as well as any other 'wax' (my personal experience says 1 month max).

Zaino (along with Finish First) is a polymer based product. Does not contain any carnuba wax at all. www.zainobros.com for all the FAQ's. I've used it for the past two years and love it! Beats the hell out of Meguiar's Gold Class which I used to swear by. Many happy users on all the forums I hang out on.

------------------
I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused.....

[This message has been edited by volsfan0911 (edited 01-05-2001).]
Old 01-05-2001, 05:45 PM
Racer

Well, I've only used Zymol, but it wasn't that $8.00 bottle...it was $19 and it's actually a cream. It does a great job in shining the car and i alsot seemed to last a pretty long time, but I've also heard that Zaino is really good too. Has anyone used both of these, the Zymol(cream) and Zaino? And is there a big difference?
Old 01-05-2001, 08:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use some of the Zymol stuff (but not for waxing). I get an amazing finish with the 3M hand Glaze/Mothers (Carnuba) on my wife's car. Problem -- It looks great for about 3 months (car sits outside/off street).
The Zymol is probably OK if you keep the car in a garage *or* in a parking building.

I now have all of the Zaino stuff, I am still trying out combos on my side panels.
I really like the gloss I've seen (on mini-tests) *and* there sure are some shiny Acuras that are using Zaino.

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 01-05-2001).]
Old 01-05-2001, 11:23 PM
6SPDCLS

I've used Zymol since 1993 when I first purchased my Integra GS.

It costed me $48 for 8 ounce of this shxt. It was a can of very nice smelling wax. It wasn't a paste but it was more solid form. It comes with a spongey applicator in which you rub against the wax to absorb the content.

You apply it to the car and you never let dry. Wipe on, wipe off, buff. It is very good. Get that shxt on your hands and water doesn't remove it. Nor does soap/scouring pad. It's tough to remove.

I used it 2 cans total for the time I had my car. It is very good. All I can say is that it really works. Even on the polycarbonate head light covers!

Old 01-06-2001, 04:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Zaino. Works well but could last longer. I don't think dirt/grime cleans up as easily off of Zaino as other waxes.
It's really not that much of a pain to apply unless your using the clay bar.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Comptech Headers
Comptech Springs
Muds
Wheel locks
35% Llumar metallic tint
Best 0-60. 6.08 Gtech Pro (Preheaders)

My Car
Old 01-08-2001, 11:52 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike:
Zaino. Works well but could last longer. I don't think dirt/grime cleans up as easily off of Zaino as other waxes.
It's really not that much of a pain to apply unless your using the clay bar.
</font>
I still think its a pain to apply until you perfect the art. Which takes most people a good 2-3 applications before they get it right.

Either way... its good shit... just expensive...

And like Mike says... a bitch to clean. It claims to statically deflect dirt... but I think it attracts dirt. Not extremely more then other waxes... but still attracts a significant more then its claims would lead you to believe.

I followed my last Zaino application with a clay bar... a hand polish... and 3M wax... works good... but nowhere near the shine Zaino gave me. Was easy to apply/remove... but... it left the white shit in crevaces... I forgot bout that HUGE downside to wax.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow Fog Lights
Aftermarket Black Wood Trim Kit
Old 01-09-2001, 01:34 AM
Instructor

I read a post once that I still laugh over (and this is so true). Any product which claims 'reduced static' is bullshit. Even Zaino.

Let's look at what you're doing when you wax/Z6 your car from a high school physics perspective. Rubbing a towel against metal which has been decoupled from grounding by 4 rubber isolators . Yes, you're going to produce a buttload of static which will attract dust. And there's not a damned thing anyone can do 'bout that!

------------------
I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused.....
Old 01-23-2001, 07:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Zymol leather package but too damn lazy to clean up and condtion my leather

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers soon now that I have a JOB again. hehe

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load.
Old 01-24-2001, 03:04 AM
Instructor

For leather, I really like Lexol (and Vinylex too, FWIW). Great product, reasonably priced and works as advertised. Griot's interior products are very well reputed as well. Sal does make a leather product, but I have to admit, I've never tried it.

------------------
when you're ready to succeed!
Old 02-16-2001, 10:54 PM
Cruisin'

I like zaino better. Requires a lot more work, but only in time, not so much effort. Lasts a hell of a lot longer, and a bit shinier layer for layer.

Zymol smells good. I am tempted to taste it. The zymol car wash tasted like soap so I'm weary of eating the wax... ( accidentaly got a mouthful of soap water one day--blech)

Zymol isn't any better than the other waxes. If you let it dry on too long... you'll need some sandpaper to get it off. What a nightmare on the trim...

Oh and BTW, anti-static stuff does work. Car gets about 40% less dust pickup with an anti-staic coating. AND CAR TIRES ARE CONDUCTIVE. It is required by federal law that all tires must be able to dissapate static electricity buildup, otherwise we'd have cars shooting lighting bolts at each other. My mind is thinking 10ohlm resistance that was the minimum allowed, but that seems way too low for a tire. Or maybe it was just the requrement for emebeded strips on the tire with the conductive compound... I fergot...

------------------
I am a cute fuzzy squirrel.
Old 02-16-2001, 11:27 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mechafreq:
I like zaino better. Requires a lot more work, but only in time, not so much effort. Lasts a hell of a lot longer, and a bit shinier layer for layer.

Zymol smells good. I am tempted to taste it. The zymol car wash tasted like soap so I'm weary of eating the wax... ( accidentaly got a mouthful of soap water one day--blech)

Zymol isn't any better than the other waxes. If you let it dry on too long... you'll need some sandpaper to get it off. What a nightmare on the trim...

Oh and BTW, anti-static stuff does work. Car gets about 40% less dust pickup with an anti-staic coating. AND CAR TIRES ARE CONDUCTIVE. It is required by federal law that all tires must be able to dissapate static electricity buildup, otherwise we'd have cars shooting lighting bolts at each other. My mind is thinking 10ohlm resistance that was the minimum allowed, but that seems way too low for a tire. Or maybe it was just the requrement for emebeded strips on the tire with the conductive compound... I fergot...

</font>
Strange you mentioned the static electricity. Once upon a time, Michelin made their "Green" (Energy saving) tires so efficient (for Hondas) with the addition of so much Silica that Toll-Booth operators were getting a huge shock. I am not kidding. They had to increase the amount of carbon.

Just a comment about the static...

BTW -- I think (but I am not sure) about the Zaino seeming to help the static. Sorry, didn't do any charge testing before/after

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl-S w/ NAVI
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1S Proxies on Stock 17" CLS wheels
  • Gtech 1/8th tank 40F ~=6.1
  • Zaino magic
Old 03-02-2001, 07:22 PM
Old Member

I have been using high end Zymols for a long time and have been very very satisfied. It is expensive, the wax I am using is $100 per 8 oz., but it gives me long lasting show car gross on my CL-S
Old 03-04-2001, 02:01 PM
Advanced

100 bucks for 8 onces? Do you realize that zymol is not even a chemical company but a remanufacturer?? That blend probably could me made for less than 5 bucks a bottle. Switch to ANYTHING and start saving money. There is no way that product gives 10 times the shine and durability of any generic 10 dollar retail product. You are being "had" my friend.........
Old 03-05-2001, 12:22 PM
Old Member

Hi Bill:

What do you mean by remanufacturing and reblending? I think Zymol manufactures its own wax.

My experience with their professional car wax has been really good and they stay on the car for a long time.

[This message has been edited by clintoronto (edited 03-05-2001).]
Old 03-05-2001, 02:58 PM
Advanced

Look into what you are buying....that is all I will say. Zymol is not a chemical company!
Try another carnuba / oil product I bet results will be similar. What ever you do, use what works best for you. If money is no object then stick to what you are using for 100 bucks a pop....you seem happy with it. I was not.
Old 03-05-2001, 06:18 PM
Old Member

Bill:

What Zymol wax did you use? You sound very disatisfied with the wax you used. Was it Carbon, Japon or other grade?
Old 03-05-2001, 06:31 PM
Advanced

I used the turtle wax formula....the retail version you can get in pep-boys. The higher end version is essentially the same...little more/less oils and wax. I never did try it though....but it is carnuba based which doesn't say much.
Old 03-08-2001, 07:32 AM
Suzuka Master

I am now on my 3rd Zaino coat and had the car parked between a new Silver 330i and a Silver Mercedes 500. From 1 and 1/2 blocks away, my car shined like a mirror compared to the other cars. The other cars were cleaned and waxed, but the difference was amazing.

Car reflects images in the finish and has cleaned up after all of the dirty rain we have had.

Great stuff!

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl-S w/ NAVI
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1S Proxies on Stock 17" CLS wheels
  • Gtech 1/8th tank 40F ~=6.1
  • Zaino magic
  • Sways, headers, CAI comming soon
Old 07-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Instructor

I personally haven't tried zaino but I use zymol a lot. The zymol you buy at auto part stores is a liquid cleaner wax that's why it doesn't last a long time because its just one part of the process. If you want your car to be show car shining you have to "step it". I know your probably thinking who is this kid but I have 8 years experience detialing Porsche's, Ferrari's, Lambo's and so on and so on. Step #1 is to wash the car with good soap (I prefer Zip Wax soap) and then clay it. Step #2 use the Zymol cleaner wax. Step #3 Use the $60 Zymol wax in the clear round ball but its hard to find and expensive but is definitely worth it but if you cant find it or afford it get a REALLY good carnuba wax. Step #4 Use a final finish, 3m & car brite are excellent. Step #5 Use 3M Perfect-it Show Car Paste Wax doing 1 panel at a time because it will work as a sealer and keep it on there longer. If you have a high speed buffer and/or orbital buffer you should use the high speed buffer with a medium cut foam pad for step 2. On step 3 you should use the orbiter and step 4 use the high speed buffer with a soft or final finish foam pad and on step 5 use the orbiter. Just be careful not to burn the paint off when using a high speed buffer. After every wash you should go over the car with wax enhancer to get it shinier (NOT SPRAY WAX they're 2 different things) . Any product you use that contains silicone attracts dust so read the labels and don't buy black magic products cuz they're GARBAGE!!! Also try to wax it once a month cuz you only have to step it once or twice a year & in between just use some liquid polish that wipes off easy and isn't a pain to do but if you follow those 5 steps you'll have a car ready for a show.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
An eight year old post. Awesome.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Matt

Old 07-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Bonki' Ehrite!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
An eight year old post. Awesome.