Zaino product discussions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 09:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts
Zaino product discussions?

I am just curious as to why there is little to no discussion of Zaino products on this board? I realize Excel Detail is a sponser here and that they carry many good products and provide good advice.

Do you feel Zaino products are inferior to other products discussed on these boards?
Old 10-26-2008, 09:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
First off Zaino is a great product line .. well most of it .. the rest is marketing and a cult following.

I have used the Z2 & ZFX for a long time but reverted back to Z1 until they stopped making it.

I have about enough Z2 left for 2 layers next spring and then I'm moving on to something else.

Zaino is great but will really show up the swirling etc if you don't do good prep.

Product line is very expensive and gives a very generic no depth shine unless topped with something else.

In short .. there is other stuff out there at a lot lass $$ thats very close... Klasse SG for one.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:27 PM
The Detailer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I just don't use Zaino so I don't really discuss a product that I don't have/use. I do have some Z5 but haven't had the chance to use it yet.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:12 PM
Suzuka Master

The Z5 claims to fill swirls but you can put on 10 layers of it and never fill much of anything .. nothing that a white pad and a mild polish wouldn't correct in 1 pass.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
zaino is a great wax. I put on about 10 layers 2 years ago and it still is providing great protection. All I do is wash it once every 2 weeks with zaino Z-7 and put some Z-6 quick detailer on it.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by csmeance
zaino is a great wax. I put on about 10 layers 2 years ago and it still is providing great protection. All I do is wash it once every 2 weeks with zaino Z-7 and put some Z-6 quick detailer on it.

How are you gauging this protection? What are your indicators?
Old 10-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
I have used Zaino religiously on my TL-S, my G37, my wife's TSX and my parent's Volvo S70. For dark colors, it really makes the car look fantastic. But it's true -- you have to do a good prep before applying it -- or else the swirls will be accentuated.

Z5 doesn't cover swirls -- but I still use it between coats of Z2 so I can use it all up.

And the spray that is recommended between Z2 coats (can't remember the code) -- it works to reduce the electrostatic charge that builds up (and causes the car to attract dust -- well, that's what I think it does).

I don't think I'll use any other product until I run out of my current supply. Maybe the Meguair's NXT I can buy off of amazon? I'd like to find a local retailer that uses other products, so I can compare.

My main concern is ease of application. I'd rather not have to buy a porter cable to get the most out of a product. I have limited time and Zaino does a great job for the time that I do have to wash / prep the car.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
tsturbo,

When I bought my car in January, I asked my dealership what they recommended to take care of the car and they unanimously said Zaino to me. Plus, one of my oldest friends has a Type S too, and that's what he recommended.

I've used the Zaino products and am very happy with the results. I have the Silver Metallic Type S, so my results will be different than the Black TL's.

Yesterday, I washed my car, but didn't have time for the entire wax and polish process. So I used the Z6 gloss enhancer and the car is smooth as silk. I love it. You can feel the difference. I use Z6 on the car alot because it looks and feels terrific.

I like the results I get with Zaino products. I even called them and talked to Sal Zaino personally. He asked me what my car was, the paint type, if it's an every day driven car...then gave me his recommendations. I'm happy with the products.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts
Thanks all, it is good to hear some positives about Zaino here. It is talked about quite regulary on other boards, and I was really curious why hardly anybody even mentioned it here.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:39 PM
Team Owner

I don't think that it's anything about Zaino products not being good. It seems like these topics go in spurts. They'll be really talked about a lot for a while, and then they'll go quiet for a while too.

By the way, I heard that the Z8 is supposed to be VERY good too. I'm going to give it a try when I need to reorder.

You might also look at the products offered by ExcelDetail on Acurazine. He also has some great products and is incredibly knowledgeable about this kind of thing. He's a great guy with excellent products. Either way, you can't go wrong.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Team Owner

Hey, yesterday, I used the Zaino interior cleaner and protectant on the seats and other leather areas of the interior....WOW, it smells like you just bought the car and rolled it off the showroom floor-LOVE IT !!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 03:45 AM
The Detailer

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Hey, yesterday, I used the Zaino interior cleaner and protectant on the seats and other leather areas of the interior....WOW, it smells like you just bought the car and rolled it off the showroom floor-LOVE IT !!!!
Optimum Protectant Plus has that same smell!

I'm not quite sure which one is cheaper though but I do know that Patrick offers OPP.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:42 PM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Another reason you don't hear much talk about it is because they don't have much in the line as far as paint correction is concerned. Z-PC has light correction capabilities, and leaves a tremendous finish. Other than that though, the lineup is designed for post-polishing duties. Their tire dressing, clay, leather conditioner, etc are all great products.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use Zaino. Currently have Z2, Z6, and Z8. The Z2 polish is very easy to apply, lasts a long time, and and shines. I use the Z6 detail spray every few days to clean the surface, and use the Z8 every few weeks and the paint starts shining like it just got polished. I would recommend it to anyone.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesstzn
How are you gauging this protection? What are your indicators?
water bead size, basically what I do it take a dropper and drop some water on various parts of the car. When it was new I took a measurement of the size of the bead that was there and then I take one know. The bead has increased in size, but not to the point where all protection is gone. By jan or Feb I estimate that all the protection will have worn off with UV rays, heat, etc.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by csmeance
water bead size, basically what I do it take a dropper and drop some water on various parts of the car. When it was new I took a measurement of the size of the bead that was there and then I take one know. The bead has increased in size, but not to the point where all protection is gone. By jan or Feb I estimate that all the protection will have worn off with UV rays, heat, etc.
Just keep in mind the application of the Z6 might be percieved as protection as it can bead water.

Usually Zaino as a lot of sealants do will bead for a while then go to sheeting but are still there. Once the sheeting ability is gone the protection is gone.

After 2 years you should be well into the sheeting stage ..
Old 12-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Instructor

I have the samecolor as you and started using Zaino last summer. I did have very nice paint before i used Zaino but the previous products i used did wear of very quickly. Since i have silver also it's a hard color to get to stand out i think. Tha Zaino does give it a very pure luster and it last a long time. I buffed mine with 3M Finesse it to get rid of all the swirls(with a foam pad). I'm open to listen to something else but this is the best product i used so far. Just my opinion. F1