Wolfgang or Pinnacle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 05:26 AM
Chloe @ 17mo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wolfgang or Pinnacle?

Wolfgang is a water-based synthetic formula...
Pinnacle is real wax..

Which is better? Which will last longer? Etc....

With regard to Pinnacle, what's the difference between the Signature Series and the Souveran Wax?
Old 09-06-2004, 10:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AsianRage
Pinnacle is real wax..

With regard to Pinnacle, what's the difference between the Signature Series and the Souveran Wax?
Some people swear by Pinnacles depth, and warmth. Me on the other hand wouldnt even hesitate with Wolfgang, that would be my choice. $ for $, WG will outperform Pinnacle. Some people will only use a Carnauba on their surface, i often times use both, but always a polymer first. The only Pinn. prod's i use are there leather cleaner and conditioners, i cant answer your other question......
Old 09-06-2004, 04:37 PM
Burning Brakes

If you're going to pick up some Souveran, get to autogeek.net today !!!
I'm still not ready to pay that much for wax since I have a ton of others which are fine for me. Other Pinnacle products I use are their PCL, clay and leather cleaner/conditioner. I don't think I'll buy the clay again. Probably just stick with Mother's.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:43 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

With regard to the Pinnacle Leather Cleaner/Conditioner, how does that rate in a comparison with Lexol? Superior in all respect?
Old 09-06-2004, 04:47 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Some people swear by Pinnacles depth, and warmth. Me on the other hand wouldnt even hesitate with Wolfgang, that would be my choice. $ for $, WG will outperform Pinnacle. Some people will only use a Carnauba on their surface, i often times use both, but always a polymer first. The only Pinn. prod's i use are there leather cleaner and conditioners, i cant answer your other question......
Can you elaborate on your experience with Wolfgang? It's not a wax, but it's also not a polish, right? Then what is it really? Similar quality to wax, but better?
Old 09-06-2004, 07:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Can you elaborate on your experience with Wolfgang? It's not a wax, but it's also not a polish, right? Then what is it really? Similar quality to wax, but better?
There is a distinction between a sealant/polish and wax. Sealants like Wolfgang, Klasse, Liquid Glass, add a layer of protection on top of the clearcoat. Depending on the color, the sealant may or may not enhance the shine, but definitely adds protection to the paint. I used Liquid Glass, which is an oil based sealant/polish and it adds depth to the paint especially lighter colors. It does wonders to light (gold, silver) and bright colors (yellow, blue, red) but not so much on dark colors.

I switched to Klasse, a water based sealant and I find it easier to apply and the degree of shine was way better than the LG.

Sealants are best applied to the bare clearcoat devoid of any wax.

Wax on the other hand is not polish but can be somewhat of a sealant. It lasts much less than a sealant but can be added to increase the protection (water beading, UV protection) already provided by the sealant.

I took exceldetail's excellent suggestion and used Klasse AIO then the sealant glaze on a weathered black finish and topped it off with Carnauba wax (Meg's Hi-Tech Yellow Wax #26) and the shine was phenomenal. I just noticed that there are specks of metallic blue on the black paint, that was not even noted when the car was new. After several days of rain, the wax should wear off but the sealant may last up to 6 or even 8 months and the shine could be boosted up by using a quick detailer or WAUD.

I'd stay away from the many kinds of "cleaner" waxes as they have abrasives that clean off the previous layer (even sealant) to put it's own coat of Carnauba on top. They last just as long as regular wax. I heard paste wax last much more longer than the liquid wax even on the same brand/ type.

I'm not sure but you probably can layer Wolfgang sealant then top it off with Pinnacle wax. Souveran is more for solid bright colors and Signature series is for metallic paints. A friend uses the Pinnacle Signature on his silver gray Boxster S, he said it doesn't last very long but the shine is awesome when it's just waxed.
P21S is another good wax. If the Porsche Carrera GT and the McLaren F1 uses it, then it must be good.

Think of it this way, sealants are for long-term and wax is for short-term. After seeing the shine of sealant and the added gloss of the wax on a black car, I know I got this one down right. Thanks so much to exceldetail.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:45 AM
Chloe @ 17mo

Originally Posted by Vicman17
There is a distinction between a sealant/polish and wax. Sealants like Wolfgang, Klasse, Liquid Glass, add a layer of protection on top of the clearcoat. Depending on the color, the sealant may or may not enhance the shine, but definitely adds protection to the paint. I used Liquid Glass, which is an oil based sealant/polish and it adds depth to the paint especially lighter colors. It does wonders to light (gold, silver) and bright colors (yellow, blue, red) but not so much on dark colors.

I switched to Klasse, a water based sealant and I find it easier to apply and the degree of shine was way better than the LG.

Wax on the other hand is not polish but can be somewhat of a sealant. It lasts much less than a sealant but can be added to increase the protection (water beading, UV protection) already provided by the sealant.

I took exceldetail's excellent suggestion and used Klasse AIO then the sealant glaze on a weathered black finish and topped it off with Carnauba wax (Meg's Hi-Tech Yellow Wax #26) and the shine was phenomenal. I just noticed that there are specks of metallic blue on the black paint, that was not even noted when the car was new. After several days of rain, the wax should wear off but the sealant may last up to 6 or even 8 months and the shine could be boosted up by using a quick detailer or WAUD.

I'd stay away from the many kinds of "cleaner" waxes as they have abrasives that clean off the previous layer (even sealant) to put it's own coat of Carnauba on top. They last just as long as regular wax. I heard paste wax last much more longer than the liquid wax even on the same brand/ type.

I'm not sure but you probably can layer Wolfgang sealant then top it off with Pinnacle wax. Souveran is more for solid bright colors and Signature series is for metallic paints. A friend uses the Pinnacle Signature on his silver gray Boxster S, he said it doesn't last very long but the shine is awesome when it's just waxed.
P21S is another good wax. If the Porsche Carrera GT and the McLaren F1 uses it, then it must be good.

Think of it this way, sealants are for long-term and wax is for short-term. After seeing the shine of sealant and the added gloss of the wax on a black car, I know I got this one down right. Thanks so much to exceldetail.
I have noticed that the NBP color has lots of metallic flakes up close

In short, the Wolfgang stuff is a sealant that protect the clear coat. And the best way to use it is in conjunction with a wax? What about with a polish?
What's the best way to apply a sealant such as the Klasse brand? Would (lots of) elbow grease be sufficient?

Perhaps exceldetail can chime in with his

Old 09-07-2004, 10:37 PM
Burning Brakes

In short, the Wolfgang stuff is a sealant that protect the clear coat. And the best way to use it is in conjunction with a wax? What about with a polish?
What's the best way to apply a sealant such as the Klasse brand? Would (lots of) elbow grease be sufficient?

Found this great Klasse application help here
Old 09-25-2004, 03:00 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

I'm thinking of getting the Pinnacle wax as a topper after the Wolfgang.

What would work better for the NPB color? Souveran or the Signature Series?
Old 09-25-2004, 03:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Asian:
Vicman provided most of the answers, but let me add. Your best bet is always preceed a sealnt with a polish. AIO (What he used) is a polish and protectant, its more of a cleaner than protectant, in other words, its a cleaner with protective qualities. Wolfgang also makes a twin polish which works wonderfully with the sealant, provided you dont need swirl removal, its agreat maintenance polish. Klasse SG will outlast Wolfgang, but my vote still goes to Wolfgang for visual benefit. You could very well, polish with AIO or Wolfgang polish, then seal with Wolfgang, and top with your favorite carnauba, be it S100 or P21s (One in the same). I would give the adhesion benefit to Wolfgang polish though being as AIO has an acrylic sealant. Im not a big fan of SG due to its difficulty in use.

Vicman, as always, your welcome, glad I could help.....
Old 09-28-2004, 08:26 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Go HERE if you want to see my attempt with Wolfgang. Overall, I love it. Buff on, wipe off process is soo easy. It did remove some of the swirls, but not enough to make me accept it. But that's not what it's suppose to do anyway.

My Pinnacle Swirl Remover Kit and the Souveran Liquid Wax should be here soon, so I'll expect it to be gone afterward.

I don't like the Lexol stuff very much since it doesn't give you any aural benefits for using it. What's better? The only reason why my car smells good now is because of the small amount of Jasmine Mist scented oil I have leftover... Will the Pinnacle leather condition or the Wolfgang one give me a better scent?

LINKIE
Old 10-07-2004, 11:50 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AsianRage...I've got a lot of experience with Pinnacle Sovereign. It's the best IMHO on black or dark color paint. I've used it on 2 NBP TL's with excellent results. My friend who details cars for a living was so impressed by the depth of shine, he now uses it exclusively for his dark car's. On the other hand, I've now got Anthracite, and I like Zaino for that color. You won't go wrong with Sovereign on NBP...it's expensive but has depth to the shine unmatched by Zaino on a dark color. I haven't tried the Wolfgang stuff so I can't comment.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:17 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Pinnacle is real wax..

Wolfgang is not water based, it is actually water resistant helping the car repel rust as well, caranuba waxes are not water resistant...

Which is better is personal opinion....you will get answers both ways here...For durability wolfgang is the winner by far... it's simple science.. a sealant will typically outlast a caranuba wax.

Old 10-07-2004, 01:34 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Last week, I redid all the wolfgang stuff but with out the Pinnacle Wax since it didn't come yet.
The package arrived yesterday however and I want to put the wax on.
What should I do?
1) Just dust off all the dirt (using the California duster), and apply the Souveran Wax, since I did the Wolfgang thing last week.
Or
2) Wash, go through all the steps and then top it off with the Souveran?
2b) If I go with the 2nd step, I would like to apply the Pinnacle Swirl Remover as well. Should I apply the Remover after the wash & clay? or after the PreWax Polish?
Old 10-07-2004, 08:40 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Wash and then apply the wax.. you should be fine then.. no need to polish or clean the paint since you have appliled the wolfgang last week.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:42 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Vicman17

Klasse AIO and SG are the way to go for a durable long lasting shine. i used alot of products over the years and sealants are by far the best bang for you $$$ unless you like re-applying wax all the time.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:21 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Terminology gets really loose in the wax world. Sealants are generally not what i would call Liquid Glass or Klasse - they are "waxes" in the sense that they clean, polish, and provide protection. LG is old school ijn my book - it is loaded with polysiloxane - so it is a silicone polymer "wax". Klasse All in One uses acrylics polymers and chemical/mild abrasive cleaners. They make a separate product (sealant) glaze which is a "topcoat" - it is to be used over a cleaned/polished surface.

Sealants and glazes usually have some sort of filler for small scratches and other paint defects - usually diamataceous earth - clay. There is usually a small amount of wax (natural or synthetic) to bind the material and help the clay fill those small defects. 3M's Imperial Glaze is one I have had great results with. 3M targets its products at the pro, so they have specialized products - some for machine use, some for hand use.

Polishes used to be just that - products like Meguiar's #7 that had no protection (wax) but oils, resins, mild clreaners/abrasives, no silicone, to "wet" the finish and give it plenty of shine. On the show car circuit where the Sun and acid rain are not an issue, and frequent polishing without wearing the thin spots is desired. polishes ruled. When synthetic poplymers emerged (like Klasse, Zaino, etc), mfr's needed a way to set themselves apart from "mere wax", so they appropriated "polish".

I look at what the product is intended to do, and its chemical composition to determine what it is. I have found that the natural waxes (beeswax, carnauba) are better than the man-made or synthetic waxes, in terms of ease of use and clarity. I use polymers like Zaino and Klasse as a base, then use P21S on top of that. I just found 3M "Show Car" Wax, and it is a top-notch product. It has high natural carnauba content AND a small amount of fluoropolymer for extra protection and longevity. At $15 for a big tine, it is a great value as well.

I have found some of the "miracle" polishes (polymers, whether arylic or esp silicone) can leave a silvery sort of glazed-look on black. Some paint freaks I know at the SAE also tell me that some European paints get a slight clouding effect from high polymer products - but this goes away, esp if you top it with carnauba, or a carnauba detailing spray.