Winter prep?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 03:26 PM
Registered Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Winter prep?

Wondering what guys all do before the winter gets here to get your car ready. I live in Rhode Island and they aren't afraid to use salt on the roads when it gets snowy/slushy/icy/anything.

I was hoping to get a complete kit with clay/wax/swirl remover/microfiber, all the fun stuff, but not sure if it would be more benificial to do it after the winter is over. Maybe do it before the winter, as a first time trying it out, then again in the spring, when I will hopefully have a ebtter idea of how things work.

Hopefully, I can get at least one fresh coat of wax onto the car, what about everyone else?
Old 09-14-2004, 06:29 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I could break into a sales pitch now but I will refrain, lol.

a couple pieces of advice I can give is - get an acrilic sealant, it will resist water and last much much longer than a caranuba wax. Here's a great article explaining the difference between the two-
http://www.wolfgangcarcare.com/pvsw.htm

And I would highly reccomend doing this befoer the salt hits it this winter. I know your pain, Toronto always uses salt!! arghhh!!

If you are interested in a car care kit, I will PM you the klit I am preparing for a few other members, it contains everything from car wash, clay kit, sealant etc... I'm thinking about making a Acura-tl car care kit for the members here, I'll have to check with the moderators to make sure they don't mind if I call it that, if not it'll be the showshine car care kit.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:45 PM
.:HALCÓN DE LA NOCHE:.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UNSANEPYRO,

I washed, clayed, polished, glazed, polymer waxed, and finally carnuba waxed as a top coat. The polymer wax such as Meguiars NXT was applied as a sealant that would last longer thru the winter & the pure carnuba wax was applied as a top coat for a glossy finish & extra protection, which won't last as long because its pure carnuba wax. Everytime I wash the car I'll be using a spray-on wax booster to prolong the protection.

I've read on diff. detailing websites that applying a polymer wax underneath a pure carnuba wax is a good step for protection for the winter. The polymer waxes are hard to tell when they need to be reapplied becuase they don't bead the water as well as the carnuba waxes. Just because it doesn't bead the water it is still protecting your paint because it usually outlasts carnuba wax about four months.

RESIDUALFREEDOM,

Is an acrylic sealant diff. than a polymer sealant/wax?
Old 09-14-2004, 09:52 PM
Registered Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah residual, I'm still interested, just need to get my paycheck this thursday so I can get it all into my checking account and get some hard earned money to you

Mind letting me know what everyone else is getting for kits, with prices, in a PM or you have my email too.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:59 PM
Drifting

since iv been using s100 every 2 weeks for the summer is it ok to use my Klass sealer glaze on top of the s100 for the winter??
Old 09-14-2004, 10:04 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xristos
UNSANEPYRO,

I washed, clayed, polished, glazed, polymer waxed, and finally carnuba waxed as a top coat. The polymer wax such as Meguiars NXT was applied as a sealant that would last longer thru the winter & the pure carnuba wax was applied as a top coat for a glossy finish & extra protection, which won't last as long because its pure carnuba wax. Everytime I wash the car I'll be using a spray-on wax booster to prolong the protection.

I've read on diff. detailing websites that applying a polymer wax underneath a pure carnuba wax is a good step for protection for the winter. The polymer waxes are hard to tell when they need to be reapplied becuase they don't bead the water as well as the carnuba waxes. Just because it doesn't bead the water it is still protecting your paint because it usually outlasts carnuba wax about four months.

RESIDUALFREEDOM,

Is an acrylic sealant diff. than a polymer sealant/wax?

Originally Posted by David Bynon, this is from one of his many how-to articles

Carnauba Wax
Carnauba comes from the fronds of the "tree of life" (Copernicia cerifera) native to Brazil. It is nature's hardest, purest and most transparent wax. Carnauba car waxes tend to produce a deeper, darker, richer shine that is often described as "three-dimensional."

Many enthusiasts and show car owners prefer the shine of carnauba waxes, especially on black, red and other dark colors. Carnauba waxes bead water nicely, absorb the acid content in rain, and hide minor swirls in the paint.

On the minus side, carnauba waxes are not as durable as synthetic waxes or sealants. Depending on your climate, a carnauba wax might last between 30 and 60 days. Additionally, some carnauba waxes can be temperamental, occasionally streaking under certain temperature or humidity conditions.

With the limitations of carnauba wax, you might be asking why it continues to have a loyal following. In my own case, I continue to use P21S Carnauba Wax to pamper my show car because I like the way it looks. On my toy, durability is secondary.

Synthetic Waxes
While car enthusiasts love carnauba waxes for the way they make highly polished paint look wet, like a calm pool of water, they would appreciate more durability. Simply put, carnauba waxes quickly evaporate when your car is in the hot sun. The average melting temperature of a carnauba wax is about 180 degrees (f).

To make a true wax coating more durable, some chemists have turned to synthetic waxes that mimic the valued properties of natural carnauba, but greatly improve on the limitations. One such wax is Einszett Glanz Wax, which is easily the most durable wax product I have found. Glanz Wax is a thin liquid, which allows it to be applied very quickly and with little to no rubbing required. Buffing off is also a breeze, and reveals a bright, shiny, slick surface that will bead water and look great for 4 to 6 months.

Paint Sealants
Made from modern polymers or acrylic resins, synthetic waxes offer excellent durability and ease of application. Quality synthetic waxes have been known to last 6 to 9 months or longer, and typically wipe on and off very easily. Most synthetic waxes create a very bright, mirror-like shine.

On the down side, many enthusiasts feel synthetic waxes lack depth and richness. Black cars can look a little sterile or silvery in the direct sunlight. And, some polymers can collect minor swirls and or highlight paint flaws.

I personally prefer acrylic sealants over polymer sealants. The acrylic resin molecule is heavier than polymer strands, which allows acrylic sealants to do a better job of hiding minor paint flaws. I also find that acrylics have a more natural look and are less likely to cloud or streak.

The king of acrylic resin sealants is Klasse. The Klasse products include a cleaner and sealant in one, called Klasse All-In-One and a pure sealant called Klasse Sealant Glaze. Klasse All-In-One is a one-step product that gently cleans and polishes your paint as it protects with the patented Klasse acrylic formula. A single coat of Klasse All-In-One provides 4-6 months of protection. For even more protection and paint finish beauty, you can add one or more coats of Klasse Sealant Glaze, which does not contain cleaners or polish. Klasse Sealant Glaze is pure acrylic resin.

I hope that helps, I would have confused you if I started to wirte that much down without proof reading, lol..
Old 09-14-2004, 11:07 PM
.:HALCÓN DE LA NOCHE:.

ResidualFreedom,

There is no confusion. I understood your post. Thanxs!
Old 09-14-2004, 11:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Got_3.2?
since iv been using s100 every 2 weeks for the summer is it ok to use my Klass sealer glaze on top of the s100 for the winter??
I think you should do it the other way around. Klasse SG will bond better when prepped with Klasse AIO. The S100 (P21S) I heard is a good topper for the Klasse SG since the depth of the shine is enhanced. With a good pure Carnauba like S100, the Klasse SG may not bond properly.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:06 PM
Burning Brakes

S100 on top of SG.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:07 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vicman17
I think you should do it the other way around. Klasse SG will bond better when prepped with Klasse AIO. The S100 (P21S) I heard is a good topper for the Klasse SG since the depth of the shine is enhanced. With a good pure Carnauba like S100, the Klasse SG may not bond properly.
thanks vic

in the begingin of the summer i did it your way. i clayed then AIO, 3 coats of SG then used s100 every 2 weeks after.

so ill just continue with this way then.

thanks again
mike
Old 09-15-2004, 10:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Just be careful and don't do it too often since I heard that pure carnauba can "streak" if the layered too much.

exceldetail can tell you the duration between coats. I myself don't know since I haven't had my hands on a jar of P21S yet.

I hope to see pics of your ride with the S100 soon, I bet it looks awesome.

All the best.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Vicman17
Just be careful and don't do it too often since I heard that pure carnauba can "streak" if the layered too much.

exceldetail can tell you the duration between coats. I myself don't know since I haven't had my hands on a jar of P21S yet.

I hope to see pics of your ride with the S100 soon, I bet it looks awesome.

All the best.
You should get at least 4 weeks with S100, my concern would be all the attention the surface is getting. Id be concerned about microscratching. You may be protecting it, but you may be scratching the hell out of it too! What are you applying/removing with ?
Old 09-16-2004, 09:29 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by exceldetail
You should get at least 4 weeks with S100, my concern would be all the attention the surface is getting. Id be concerned about microscratching. You may be protecting it, but you may be scratching the hell out of it too! What are you applying/removing with ?
im using Turtle wax foam applicator and removing it with pakshak MF cloth.