Winter and a new car in the great white north...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006 | 09:45 PM
Intermediate

Winter and a new car in the great white north...

So, I recently took delivery of my new 2006 TL up here in the great white north. I am planning to put on the 3M paint protection for the fenders, bumper, etc to help with the sand during the winter time. What else should I do to the paint before the snow starts flying? Thanks!
Old 11-02-2006 | 12:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Several coats of a high-quality polymer. I'm a Zaino freak so that's what I would choose.
Old 11-02-2006 | 02:02 PM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Winter Vehicle Preparation:
The vehicle’s paint system, tyres, glass, plastic and other exterior surfaces will be at the mercy of the elements, including wind, rain, sleet, snow, sand, gravel, and road salt. Autumn is your best opportunity to inspect and prepare your car for the ravages of winter, by providing the exterior paint system with a polymer or acrylic protective layer to provide a durable protection. Your car's paint, tires, leather and rubber trim all need attention, even if you have cared for them all summer.

The steps to take-
Apply a paint protection sealant (Zaino, Carlack / Klasse) - an LSP for extreme conditions use Collinite #845 Liquid Insulator Wax, it will last approximately 4-6 months or 476S Super Doublecoat - http://www.collinite.com/auto.htm

a)Apply dressing to the interior surfaces (especially leather upholstery) Clean and vacuum the carpets (consider a winter mat’s (WeatherTech) for protection of carpet)
b)Clean, treat, and dress your tyres and apply a wheel surface sealant. Spray the inner wheel wells with (Groit’s Satin Black Spray Paint) this will provide a slick layer of protection, which will allow the snow that gets caught up inside there to just fall right off.
c)Change your wipers to winter grade, and make sure your get the transmission’s oil changed to winter grade oil.
d)Have your battery and its charging system checked
e)Fill radiator and windscreen cleaning reservoir with a quality windshield anti-freeze washer fluid.

Knowledge - [We know a subject] [We know where to find information on it] the most highly valued; [knowledge that is both held and shared]