where to buy no-scratch cotton towels?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 05:12 PM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
where to buy no-scratch cotton towels?

i'm using a blue waffle weave drying towel and meguiar's microfiber towels to polish using zaino. i'm pretty sure that the waffle weaves are ok, just dab drying here and there after using a jelly blade.

i think the microfibers are putting really small hairline/spiderweb scratches in my clearcoat. it's easy to tell in the sun cus my car is black and the hairline scratches are in the same direction that i wipe the zaino off with.

can u guys tell me where and what kind of 100% cotton towels to buy? these sound like they are probably safer to use than the microfibers. i've seen this question asked before but never saw a reply answer. if a website vendor sells them, i would love to order from you guys.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
If you think its the towels scratching then can the towels .. I use the yellow ones from Costco and have no problems at all .. and I used them on my black car for 3 years.

Personally I think the cotton towel suggestion by Sal on his site is nothing more than a patriotic bunch of garbage quote " Buff off the Show Car Polish residue with a high quality, 100%, made in the USA, cotton detailing towel. " unquote. Notice he doesn't give a brand name.

The jelly blade is more than likely the problem. I bet your using it in the same pattern as the scratching.

Change your washing drying practices

Car washing

This is important as improper washing and drying methods is the major cause of scratching and swirling in the cars clear coat.

1. Hose the car down really well first and rinse it of before you wash

2. Washing: Wash your car when it is cool and in the shade. Air drying is the main cause of water spots, and the heat from the sun and the paint surface only amplifies the effect. Invest in a sheepskin mitt and car wash soap. Others will say different but as long as its not an el’cheapo bargain brand most car wash soaps are ok. Wash a panel .. rinse a panel. Its better to wash gently with more strokes than to rub hard and cause marring in the clear coat layer.

3. Final Rinsing: For rinsing, remove whatever nozzle you usually use from your hose, and rinse the car with the open end of the hose, with a low water pressure. You don't need a jet of water pummeling your car now that it's clean. Just let the water "fall" onto the surface, and you'll see the difference! Definitely helps with the drying process as it will pull 90% of the water off.

4. Drying: The plush MF drying towel and the Waffle Weave are both popular for drying. I use just two Waffle Weave MF. Before you dry take the nozzle off the hose and with a gentle stream of water run it over the car, it will sheet 90% of the water off for you. I hold the first towel by the corners and pull it over the flat surfaces and it pulls most the water off then I use the MF towel to finish off the body. NEVER use the same Towel to dry the wheels/door edges as you will possibly fill them with crud and scratch the car in the next drying. Same reason to use a seperate wash mitt to wash the wheels. Get a cheapie mitt from WalMart for that.

Don'ts ;

a) Don't use an Absorber as with a chamoius its unforgiving and if one grain if grit gets under it it will scratch.

b) Don't dry with bath towels as terry is rather abrasive.

c) Don't use a water blade as they will micromarr. Use the 2 WW towel method.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:54 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree. Water blades scare me. I used one once on an Audi A8 and sure enough, I got a scratch from a piece of sand. So now, I never use them even if the owner wants me too. (which is what happened) I bring my own stuff, 2 microfibre waffle weave towels. Lastly, don't forget to wash your MF towels, they are incredible cleaners because they pick up dirt and stuff, and you have got to get it out.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:37 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe Jess covered the topic quite well. You can also check this thread for more info about washing techniques. Here's more info on Microfiber Products.