When can I polish and wax

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 01:21 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When can I polish and wax

Hi there, I just got a NBP 2005 RL 3 weeks ago and would like to know if it's advisable to polish and wax now. I could already see some very light scratches and would really like to keep it a clean and showroom like condition. Is it ok to polish and wax so soon, since I just got the car recently? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:14 AM
Racer

yeah do it now the best thing to do is clay bar the whloe car first and then polish.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
If the dealer gave you some protective treatment, you can buy some time and come up with a game plan. This will also give you a chance to do some reading on what works well, and why, with some of the forums members. Im not sure where your located, but everyone has winter months approaching, and surface protection should be considered a priority.
If you want to though, its perfectly safe to clay, polish/clean, and protect at this moment....Your cars paint is factory baked and ready for protection before it even gets to the showroom.......
As for the scratching you currently have, consider your current wash and dry methods. You may need to adjust your methods, and swap out products. You just spent thousands on this vehicle, I dont see why a few bucks here and there to protect it (an investment) would kill ya!
Heres a good thread with lots of contributions....
Old 10-16-2005, 12:50 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the advice. So claying the whole car is ok even though the car has no surface contaminant? I always thought claying will strip a thin layer of the paint off the car.

I'm located in Riverside, California, so yeah..it's getting cold now. I'm probably gonna take on your advice and will try to find time to clay polish and wax the car.

I'm using Mr.Clean Autodry and sheepskin wash mit for washing the car. What do you guys think of this product? I personally think it's good and saves you time without the need to dry the car. Exceldetail, you're probably right. I have to revise my washing method to prevent further scratches.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:18 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by dsianand
Thanks for the advice. So claying the whole car is ok even though the car has no surface contaminant? I always thought claying will strip a thin layer of the paint off the car.

I'm located in Riverside, California, so yeah..it's getting cold now. I'm probably gonna take on your advice and will try to find time to clay polish and wax the car.

I'm using Mr.Clean Autodry and sheepskin wash mit for washing the car. What do you guys think of this product? I personally think it's good and saves you time without the need to dry the car. Exceldetail, you're probably right. I have to revise my washing method to prevent further scratches.
Claying will not strip your paint. Use a generous amount of "Quick Detailer", I use Meguiars Final Inspection. Clarify what you mean by "sheepskin". Sounds harsh. Get a quality Cotton Chenille wash mit. You will always have to dry a car. Meguiars makes a geat car microfiber drying towel that will not scratch the finish.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Claying is ok, even on a new car, theres no telling if the dealer went and did it for you, I would doubt it though. Just make sure your using a good brand, and use a lube. Dont rub, let it glide with just enough surface pressure to manipulate movement....NATURAL sheepskin washmits are the way to go.....Personally, I think the Mr Clean strips protectants.....If you want to use it in those hot summer months go for it, but the hurry is finally over, I think. Im just west of you in Ventura, I think our weather is finally changing.....!
Old 10-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A number of folks have asked this question. As far as performing a detail on a new vehicle, why not? You do not know how long the car has been on the lot and you don't what the dealer has done, detailwise, to the vehicle. You should read this thread by n1976jmk who has a 06 NBP TL. Basically the same scenario you have. You should also check out Autopia's "How To" reference library, lot of good info and techniques.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:54 PM
Advanced

Thanks for all your responses.

SweetJazz - I'm using genuine sheepskin mitt, which I've read so far is the best mitt for washing the car without scratches. But somehow I think the scratches are caused by the sheepskin, maybe there're some particles stucked in between that caused these scratches.

exceldetail - Does Mr.Clean really strips protectant? I didn't know that, I may have to change I guess. Yeah, our weather is definitely changing now, plus it's raining here in riverside today.

Hawhyen51 - Thanks for the thread link.

One question though, do you think using Meguiar's products for all polishing and waxing needs enough? I've read about Zaino, Poorboys, etc and they involve too many steps to follow. I'd really prefer an easy to use OTC products that'll provide the same, or at least near quality as opposed to Zaino, Sonus, etc.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:42 PM
Burning Brakes

I see you've been doing quite a lot of reading.

If you prefer an easy steps, Meguiars have all your detailing needs. Zaino is really time consuming from what I heard. I used Poorboy's on many cars this summer and loved it. Meguiars will be easier to find in stores, and does have a complete line of products.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:15 PM
Burning Brakes

I'd be claying ESPECIALLY a new car. Your car was more than likely been delivered by rail, so you would have what you would call "rail dust" that are very fine metal "shavings" that would be embedded on the clearcoat. You won't strip a paint layer since your car has clearcoat and will only need to work to even out the CC's surface to improve the finish.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:27 PM
Advanced

I agree, Zaino is really time consuming and requires too many steps to follow. Here's what I'm intending to do, please tell me what you guys think.

1. Wash car
2. Clay with Meguaiar's
3. Quick detailer Meguaiar's
4. NXT Tech Wax Meguiar's.

Is this good enough? I've tried Meg's Scratch X on some of the scratches but no help. So I was thinking with claying, quick detail, and nxt wax, it will remove those scratches and shine the car...right?
Old 10-16-2005, 10:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Nope, #1, your shy a polish step. therefore your not rejuvinating.
#2. The QD may compromise NXT's adhesion......

Heres what you should do...
Wash
Clay
Paint cleanse or polish
Protect.. Its only one additional step, but what a difference it will make.....
Old 10-16-2005, 11:02 PM
Advanced

Which of Meg's paint cleanse/polish and protect are you referring to?

Seriously, I've been reading and reading and there are so many products out there and steps to follow that it's really making me confused. I'm a noob and just wants some simple solution to fixing the scratches and making it look shiny. So please bear with me, and thanks for the responses.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:45 PM
Advanced

Ok, I've been reading some more and decided to use the Meguair's 3 step products. And the steps I'll try to do are:

1. Wash car
2. Meg's Quick clay detail
3. Step 1 Meg's Deep crystal paint cleaner
4. Step 2 Meg's Deep crystal polish
5. Step 3 Meg's Deep crystal carnuba liquid wax

What do you think? Any comments or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One question though, do you think using Meguiar's products for all polishing and waxing needs enough? I've read about Zaino, Poorboys, etc and they involve too many steps to follow. I'd really prefer an easy to use OTC products that'll provide the same, or at least near quality as opposed to Zaino, Sonus, etc.
I think Meguiars will suffice but I also believe there are other products available that will produce better results and durability. Check out exceldetail's site, he carries most of the products mentioned. Send him a PM and I'm sure he can recommend a product to meet your needs.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Which of Meg's paint cleanse/polish and protect are you referring to?

Seriously, I've been reading and reading and there are so many products out there and steps to follow that it's really making me confused. I'm a noob and just wants some simple solution to fixing the scratches and making it look shiny. So please bear with me, and thanks for the responses.
Where in Ca ?
Old 10-17-2005, 09:27 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Plenty of really sound advice for new vehicle care thus far, perhaps it should be considered as a 'sticky' for future reference-

New vehicle, Initial Care:
Most people believe that a new car needs little if any care for the first week or so, not true. Most new vehicles leave the factory, they sit in dirt parking lots, they are transported by trains, trucks, or ships, and then they are generally subjected to the removal of transit plastic protection wrap and usually harsh washing conditions once they arrive at the car dealership.

Even new cars that have been setting on a car dealerships lot for a few weeks can accumulate surface contamination; don't assume a vehicle that looks good is contamination free

Acid rain, road salt, tree sap and airborne contaminants are very detrimental to a vehicles paint film surface. Brake dust or rail dust are very small, almost microscopic particles of steel, iron or their alloys. These particles carry a negative charge while the vehicles they land on are carrying a positive charge. The vehicle surface becomes a magnet, attracting and bonding the ferrous metal particles to the vehicle surface.

1. RapGard (Plastic Transit Film):
Many manufacturers are using this white plastic covering in place of synthetic or wax based shipping coatings (Cosmoline) The plastic becomes brittle with age (90 to 180 days) and becomes difficult to remove as it "shreds" while being pulled off, additionally there is excess adhesive residue left on the surface.
•Spray or wipe Isopropyl Alcohol on to the Rap Guard or Plastic Film and the painted surfaces.
•Allow it to remain on the surface for 3 to 5 minutes. Saturate a soft clean towel with Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) and gently wipe away the RapGard / Plastic Transit Film pieces and their adhesive.
•Wash vehicle with a car wash concentrate diluted 1 oz. per gallon of water any remove any residue with detailers clay.

2. Cleaning Tyres:
•Rinse thoroughly with a fairly strong stream of clean water to remove any loose road dirt etc., from tyre’s and wheel wells.
•Clean tyres with a rubber cleaner (3M Tire & Wheel Cleaner -39036) or a citrus-based all purpose cleaner (APC) (P21S Total Auto Wash)
•Use a water-based polymer tyre dressing (Zaino Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss™)
•Apply an ultra violet radiation (UVR) protection to the tyres.

3. Detailers Clay:
•Divide the Detailer's Clay into equal pieces and knead into a ball to ensure pliability
•Take one of the pieces and flatten it out into a circle, approximately enough that it will fit into two or three fingers
•Spray a 2-foot by 2-foot surface with a lubricating solution (WooliteTM or Dreft™ / Water 5:1), ensure that the surface being clayed is always wet
•Glide the Clay across the area in a front to back in a straight-line aquaplaning type motion
•Use long strokes without lifting the clay from the surface
•Use a light to medium even pressure until the surface becomes smooth and silent.
•If the Clay is streaking on the paint, you need more to apply more lubricating solution, it is better to over lubricate the paint film surface than let it dry-out
4. Vinyl and hard plastic surfaces:
•Apply any dressings very sparingly as these surfaces don’t allow the dressings to penetrate very well
•Use a suitable matte type dressing (Iz Cockpit Premium) to ensure that there is no reflection on the windshield, reducing visibility.
•Apply a UVR protection (303 Space Protectant) especially to the dash and any other surface that is subjected to sunlight on a regular basis.

5. Surface Protection:
Regularly applied wax and/or a polymer sealant will both protect the paint surface from surface contamination that collects on a painted finish which includes, Industrial fallout (IFO), Rail Dust, Acid Rain, Hard Water Spots, Tar, Bird Droppings, Waxes/Silicones, Oxidation, Adhesive Residue, Road Grime Rust Stains.

6. Car Cover:
The greatest treats to the preservation of your vehicle are; Airborne Contaminants, Industrial Fallout (this includes Acid Rain) Ultra Violet Radiation (UVR) Oxidation, Bird Excrement and Brake Dust, wind blown debris and pollution.

Protect your investment with a car cover, outdoors, car covers offer unequalled protection against ultra-violet radiation (UVR) they are water resistant and provide protection from acid rain, pollution, bird excrement, tree sap and wind blown debris.

JonM
Old 10-17-2005, 09:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Nice work Jon........
Old 10-18-2005, 06:51 PM
Instructor

Dam jon, nice writeup!
Old 10-18-2005, 06:56 PM
Advanced

Wow, nice writeup. Thanks so much.

Just to let you guys know, I've already ordered Meg's 3 steps. Can't wait to use it when weather permits.