What's finished leather, and what's leather-look vinyl? (TSX)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 09:57 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question What's finished leather, and what's leather-look vinyl? (TSX)

The threads on this topic are > 3 years old, and Acura/Honda may've changed their upholstery. So, new thread, old question.

While using Meguiar's leather wipes on my seats (seem to be MUCH better than Armor All, and someone mentioned Armor All wipes contain alcohol ), I notice that the "protectant" seems to be "standing" on some surfaces.

Now, I'd pretty much figured that the front seat backs are vinyl, particularly the pockets. But it's hard to tell on the center pad and side bolsters of the seats. I presume the perforated sections are leather, as are the door panels made of the same material. What of the rear armrest? Head rests? The steering wheel, AT gear shift knob and parking brake boot all look to be leather....

I'm curious if anyone has either anecdotal or documented indications of which parts of the upholstery aren't really leather, and hence should be treated with a vinyl protectant? TIA....

Last edited by davidspalding; 09-24-2007 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:10 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
http://www.detailuniversity.com/foru...r-article.html
Old 09-28-2007, 08:27 AM

Yes, fascinating, but really fascinates me is any determination as to what is leather and what is vinyl. I really can't tell. Unless the ONLY leather is the center panel of the seat and the door insert. That would be amazing cheap for a "leather upholstered" vehicle. I'm hoping that more is leather.... Anyone got some info?
Old 09-29-2007, 03:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was faced with the same dillemma when I had my TL-S. I would use leather lotion or cleaner conditioner and the vinyl parts would stay 'wet' and sticky and the leather would absorb the product.

Anything that your body touches most likely will be leather (or close to it) and other than that it's vinyl. If you use 303 Protectant, you won't have to worry since it can be used on both leather and vinyl (and plastic, rubber). Honda/Acura seem to use a 'coated' type of leather. That doesn't quite absorb product and turns shiny easily. When I got the BMW, the seats are all-leather and appeared thick, tight and seemed porous like skin where you would apply conditioner and you can almost see it get absorbed as you wipe it.

Someone told me before that one should stay away from those 'wipes'. It's clever marketing but one product (like Leather Wipes) doesn't seem to be far off another (like Interior Wipes). I attribute it to a product like Meg's Quik Interior Detailer which can be used on both vinyl and leather, wipes smell the same and may very well be soaked in a diluted version of this.

Now I use distilled water with Zero Woolite in a spray bottle. It deep-cleans leather like no other that it turns the MF rag dark. I use lexol as a conditioner.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by davidspalding
Yes, fascinating, but really fascinates me is any determination as to what is leather and what is vinyl. I really can't tell. Unless the ONLY leather is the center panel of the seat and the door insert. That would be amazing cheap for a "leather upholstered" vehicle. I'm hoping that more is leather.... Anyone got some info?
That's the most understated response I've had to that thread thus far
Old 09-29-2007, 04:21 AM

Identifying characteristics- covered leather / vinyl has a uniform colour and grain patterns; will not scratch easily; water drops will not change its colour.

As is stated in the article
Old 10-14-2007, 10:12 PM

(late) Thanks for the link to Detailing U. Good articles there.