Whats the big deal with Zaino?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 08:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally posted by Katana18
Lexol, definently Lexol. they make a cleaner and also a conditioner, but u have to buy them separate, it really helps as far as moisturizing, conditioning, and slowing down wear and tear, also gives it that soft, supple feel.
Wow I agree with you.

I would also suggest 303 Protectant for leather, vinyl and rubber. Used religiously in the marine market, it is coming into fashion a lot into automotive detailing. I used it and it works great. Not greasy and leaves a great matte shine.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:53 PM
Work safe avatar bish :D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Red-CL
WOW!!!!

nice work :thubsup:
Old 05-31-2003, 12:12 PM
Suzuka Master

I know it does last longer than wax and that is a plus. But I was just on the Zaino Site, and it seems like it would cost $70 to get everything in the Zaino system that you need. I included ZFX over Z1. No doubt, I will probably try it someday, it's just bothersome that it's $70. And what also sucks is that you need to buy Z6 and Z7 to keep the "cycle" going.
Old 05-31-2003, 12:54 PM
Homeless

Try Liquid Glass. $17.95 at Pep Boys.
Old 05-31-2003, 03:18 PM
Black is a ***** to Clean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's definetley a lil expensive at the startup but it lasts a good amount. I think my supply I bought will last well over a year.
Old 06-02-2003, 01:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Katana,

Cool, I think I'll try Lexol. Can I buy this at the store? Another question, I've had my car for almost a year and haven't conditioned the leather yet. When should I start and how often should I do it?
Old 06-02-2003, 05:06 PM
Banned

yea they sell lexol in stores, u just have to look for it..most car places i know have it...as for the conditioning, i do mine about once a month, and they still look great....when should u start..right now!
Old 06-02-2003, 06:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
ok thanks, once a month sounds like alot, does everyone else do that?
Old 06-02-2003, 07:39 PM
Banned

yea, once a month is a lot, but down here in florida the sun likes to crack and wear down the leather prematurely...besides, it only takes 5 min to put it on...so its no biggie
Old 06-03-2003, 03:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Roll up the windows and let the conditioner bake in the sun while on your seats, then wipe it off.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:46 PM
Racer

I know Im going to come to regret doing this . . . . BUT - I gotta .

OK - first things first -
The ONLY time it have ever been suggested to Dawn wash the car is prior to applying your zaino, and that is to make baby-ass clean the surface. Note that it needs to be done if you are not going to clay the surface, and we all know some people wont clay a car. Obviously clay will take off most wax, but there are variables such as number of coats and degree of strength used when claying . .This one-time dawn wash can hardly be accused of paint damage - unlike some of the abrasives found in many off-the-shelf products that needs strippers and abrasives to remove previous coats of wax prior to applying more.
Tell me - what do you use to strip off the old wax before the next layer? Think its less harmful than ONE Dawn wash? I dont.

Liquid Glass, for example has been tested by Gurureports - and they reported strong chemical smells, cleaning action and a pre-cleanser requirment . .what do you think that pre-cleanser is doing? Anyways, Im not slagging LGlass - just making a point.

For your further edification - you can start and use Zaino for a whopping $21.90 US - and that will get any user 18-24 coats on most of todays cars . . .Now, if you go crazy and buy a car wash soap (OMG, how can they do that! ) $9.95 and then go completely nuts and buy a detail spray that works in harmony with the above - you have to shell out another $9.95 -
That is an incredible $41.80 for 4 products . . OUTRAGEOUS YOU SAY ! ? !

Divide that into the number of coats (minimum) and we have the unmitigated gall to think that you "might" want to spend $2.61 to do a full wash,polish and spray program on your car - every month. Thats $31.32 to apply the full treatment over a year . . .
Simply wash once a week and you will throw away $0.25 cents in soap, its concentrated and will give far more than 24 washes . . . and maybe $0.25 in gloss spray useage . . .

No wonder people thinks its outrageous . . .

OK, now before you get your shorts in a knot - there is humour and sarcasm mixed in that - take it easy. The facts are accurate . . .

So, back to basics - Z1 and Z2 - costing $21.90 - getting 16-24 coats - and each coat lasting at LEAST 4 months - based on independant testing and verified. Anyone else got independant , blind testing to verify those claims ? Anyone? Ok, moving along . . .

Nowhere do we zaino people say you MUST use our wash - you can get the cheap stuff at pepboys - you simply must avoid any that contain wax . . and why not spent $10 on a car wash that actually contains some polish in it . . fights water spots, and makes the car shinier than before you used it, without adding a layer of polish . .. ?

The gloss pray is stribly suggested for different reason. Zaino is optically pure, and as such - anthing with a wax containing silicones and oils and other fillers that make me shudder will distort the pure appearance of the finish . . We all know that detail sprays are a great seller, we want the customer to be happy, so we advisde our wax free alternative to help his satisaction level along . . If you dont want to spray the car - dont. Just dont use anyone elses - thats all. You would buy another brand of dtail spray maybe - for 6-9$$ - why not the one that works .. .

Now, I can be sure some of you are getting your typing fingers ready, to let me have both barrels - dont bother . . .

Nowhere did I say you have to use Zaino to get the greatest looking car around . . nowhere did I say NOT to use anything else.... nowhere did i say that people with skills and good products cant make a car look as good as, hell even better in some cases than other cars that may have Zaino on it . .

Ive seem waxed cars that are stunning . . last weekend I visited with about 10-12 S2000 owners and was very impressed with a couple of cars that did NOT have zaino - impressed enough to tell the owners I was impressed and discover they were as anal as the rest of us that are spending time on car care forums . . .

So please- if you have questions, us zaino-holics will answer them - but there is no need to make it out as if we are talking snakle oil and sandpaper here guys . .

p.s. it takes about 1 hour - from turning the hose on to getting in and driving away to Zaino any or my cars - 4 door or 2. Includes wash, dry, apply and remove - followed with gloss spray - so lets stop that "it takes forever" stuff too?

Peace out - and lets "flame away"

edit: i thought about editing for spelling, but its too long
Old 06-03-2003, 09:12 PM
Banned

umm...ok....guess that set me straight, lemme put my barrels away
Old 06-03-2003, 09:37 PM
Instructor

Re: You're right

Originally posted by chris3240929
Katana, you're exactly right. Dawn, with repeated uses, will dull your paint. It will harm newer paint even more. The oil & sealer in paint is what keeps the paint shiny & protects it from the elements, Dawn's various detergents & surfactants remove oil(and just about every thing else too). Dawn(Joy, Palmolive, etc) should be used very, very seldom, at most. I think most of the guys here already know that though.

However, I do think these 'Zaino' guys buy into too much crap posted on the Z website. Liquid Glass is a polymer wax and is just as good, if not superior to Zaino(not to mention way fuckin cheaper). It's been around for years & is still one of the best products I've ever used. I've seen countless "here's my ride after 45 coats of Z" threads & frankly, I'm not too impressed.

I'll post some pics of my piece of shit, non-garage-kept, 2 year old, non-clayed CLS this weekend... Liquid Glass only... I'm confident there will be plenty of Bling & Bling for all the Z'ers.

Agreed, I've been using Liquid Glass for years with great results. I have always stripped with the occasional Dawn bath And for $15 at D.A.P., it's like a sore dick.....you can't beat it!

:pee:
Old 06-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Homeless

I'm with you rasta...I'll keep my $2.61 & use the Glass.

I've used the other crap before & none give me the shine in less time.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:36 PM
Suzuka Master

It's pretty bad when the Nissan guys come over to the "Kill Stories" section of the forums...but "Zaino" distributors coming over to the detailing section...
Old 06-04-2003, 10:55 PM
Racer

Originally posted by KCPreki11
It's pretty bad when the Nissan guys come over to the "Kill Stories" section of the forums...but "Zaino" distributors coming over to the detailing section...
im not sure i get this . . . . its late, ive been on the road a long time today . .

are you saying this is equivalent to a "kill story" in the detailing section?
or - zaino dists shouldnt be here ?
or ? ? ? ?

i cant figure it out . . .

and as for keepin ure 2.61 and stickin with what you got - GREAT - I wouldnt have it any other way. seriously, evryone should use what they love, and if the time comes to evaluate something else for whatever reason - my only point is that the info should be clear and accurate . . .

and until you are thining about switching or trying out another line - all that stuff I typed could be considered meaningless, except to clarify things -

Im not trying to sell anyone here - Im in Canada and most of you arent, so please take what I type not as a rant (i spose it could be called that) but as information . . . thats all.

thanks

g-nite
Old 06-07-2003, 05:33 PM
Suzuka Master

O my goodness... I can't believe Shawn S. is not over here on this thread.....ROFLOL...

Oh well.. good points fellas... Atleast the 303 and Lexol Leather cleaner and Conditioner was agreed upon..LOL...

Hey guys, all I got to say is different strokes for different folks... I don't use Liquid Glass nor do I Use Z products... I use ARDEX--LOL... www.ardexlabs.com/index2.html

Enjoy

Smitty