What to use to rejuvenate the black exterior panel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 06:23 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Title says is all.

Our A4 Avant's lower part of rear bumper panel looks a bit faded now. Wanted to see if I can bring that blackness back to it.

Thank you!

This is our car but you get the idea.

What to use to rejuvenate the black exterior panel?-z3fe7zs.jpg
Old 03-24-2014, 09:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
If its the same textured material as used on the VW Passat lower panels I used a product called Forever Black Tire Gel. Its a black water based dye that lasts 30 or so washes. Apply 2 layers with a little cheap yellow ikitchen sponge.
The following users liked this post:
JS + XES (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 10:18 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Mother's Back-to-Black
The following users liked this post:
JS + XES (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 01:02 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesstzn
If its the same textured material as used on the VW Passat lower panels I used a product called Forever Black Tire Gel. Its a black water based dye that lasts 30 or so washes. Apply 2 layers with a little cheap yellow ikitchen sponge.
Yes, it's the same panel I believe.

Thank you very much, Jesstzn.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BSG1
Mother's Back-to-Black
Thats just a dressing that will last a couple of washes or rains.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:00 PM
Instructor

Thats just a dressing that will last a couple of washes or rains.
It's listed as a restorer on the Mother's website, and in my experience, it worked as such on my old Honda. It brought back the original look of the black trim and removed any oxidation and white/wax residue. It didn't go away after a few washes or rains either.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Regardless of what they list it as .. I have it .... used it and it didn't last at all on the plastic he is speaking of ..

Also .. other reviews

http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/...ws/reviews.htm
Old 03-27-2014, 04:46 PM
Instructor

Amazon.com: Mothers 06108 Back-to-Black Trim Care - 8 oz: Automotive Amazon.com: Mothers 06108 Back-to-Black Trim Care - 8 oz: Automotive

I can find reviews too. I suppose in Canadian weather it doesn't last long, but the OP is in CA...completely different climate.

I've used it and it worked fine, lasted for me for months and I live in a similar climate as CA. And the trim I used it on was similar to the portion on his Audi. But whatever, OP can use what he wants. I've also used Sonax plastic trim restorer and Black WOW which lasted longer but was more expensive.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Amazon.com: Mothers 06108 Back-to-Black Trim Care - 8 oz: Automotive

I can find reviews too. I suppose in Canadian weather it doesn't last long, but the OP is in CA...completely different climate.

I've used it and it worked fine, lasted for me for months and I live in a similar climate as CA. And the trim I used it on was similar to the portion on his Audi. But whatever, OP can use what he wants. I've also used Sonax plastic trim restorer and Black WOW which lasted longer but was more expensive.
I live 4 miles from the Washington border .. Summer is summer .. no matter where .. Similar isn't the same ... the Passat IS the same ..

I am speaking from experience .. I have used both products and I owned A Passat, and detail a few Audis.

And your right the OP can use what he likes.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:07 AM
Instructor

LOL at comparing WA weather to Socal. My statement remains; Socal weather is completely different than anywhere in the NW. 8 months of rain per year...yeah, I'm sure you need to keep detailing those cars up there. Summer is not summer, no matter where. But good try.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:12 AM
Suzuka Master

LOL at comparing WA weather to Socal. My statement remains; Socal weather is completely different than anywhere in the NW. 8 months of rain per year...yeah, I'm sure you need to keep detailing those cars up there. Summer is not summer, no matter where. But good try.
We aren't on the coast and don't get 8 months of rain. We do get winter which is actually milder than Spokane. Summer temps here hit the 90s and over 100 on occasion. And its the summer months I am referring to with longevity.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...graph/CAXX0507
Old 03-28-2014, 11:26 AM
Instructor

And its the summer months I am referring to with longevity.
So you're just looking at summer? Okay then. Los Angeles get's just over half an inch of rain during the summer months (May - September). According to your chart, you get over 8" of rain in the summer months for that same period. Nearly 13 times as much rain. So as I said, your comment "summer is summer .. no matter where.. " is incorrrect.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...graph/USCA0638

To the OP's question, his trim is a bit faded and wants to make it more black. The Mother's product will do just that. If he suggested it was completely oxidized and lost significant color, I'd recommend Sonax. Even if he's just looking to fix this for the summer months (not sure where you got that from...) the Mother's product is cheap, and with the lack of rain in Socal, it will last for the duration of the summer. Again, you get MUCH more rain than Socal. There is no comparison, and the products used for detailing vary by region. For detailing so much, you should know that.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:33 AM
Suzuka Master

And again I speak from experience having used the product I am suggesting and having used the product you suggest.. and on the exact type of plastic he has .. not all plastics used on cars are the same. BTW that 8" of rain is mostly early spring and early fall ... we can go June/Aug with virtually no rain. And if he doesn't wash his car at all .. yes.. dressings will last a while. My Passat was washed on the average of 3 times a week and even with ALL the rain we get ( Ha) I would apply it only 2 times a year.

Nuff said.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:45 AM
Instructor

Nope, according to the chart you linked, that 8" appears evenly spread over May - September, not just early spring and early fall. And yes, ALL the rain you get...which is, again, on average, nearly 13 times more than Socal. There's no denying it, your climate is much different, as I said before.

I've used multiple products on the same type of plastic too (I know exactly what type of trim he's talking about), and my trim sounded like the same condition as the OP's. And for that use, my experience with the Mother's product was great.

Nuff said.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:08 PM
Suzuka Master

I don't know what chart your looking at but hardly any of our months make it over 2" and when they do its JUST over.

But I'm sure your right and I wouldn't know .. being that I live here.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:23 PM
Instructor

Are you kidding me? I'm looking at the chart YOU posted on post #13. Add it up...8.13" of rain between May and September. Compare that with 0.64" for the same months in LA (Socal). But apparently you think all summers are created equal. Okay then, that's great logic.

And, you said you can virtually get no rain June through August? June is the second WETTEST month of the year listed on the chart YOU posted. Give me a break.

You make this too easy. I'm done proving you wrong.

OP, sorry for taking this off topic. In my opinion, and based on my experience, Mothers Back-to-Black worked great for restoring lightly faded trim on my previous Honda. If it's more oxidized or severely faded, give Sonax plastic trim restorer a try. It's more expensive but works better for heavier applications.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Ok your adding the months .. not a monthly average ... your right again ...BTW do you also realize that living here I know that those 2" per month are usually in a couple of days .. we don't get rain every day... so we aren't driving around in the wet... but where your wrong is with the product and what its applied to .. I have used both products on the exact same plastics and as said above .. in this application it doesn't last more than a few washes or rains regardless what it does on a Honda. You want something better yet than the Mothers ... Black Wow .... but again .. eventually will succumb to washes and rain.