What pads are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 11:38 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
What pads are you using?

What pads are you PC guys using? I've been using LC's 6" pad from www.properautocare.com but yesterday got their new 7.5" VC Constant Pressure pads? Anyone used them?

I was also sent some sonus pads a few months back, but haven't used them yet? ANyone here have any experience w/ them?

Also, anyone used the orange LC pads? This will be my first time using it, lookign for comparisons to their cutting pad.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:53 PM
ABP TSX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have used these Sonus DA Pads on several vehicles including mine. I liked them and had no complaints when using the PC.

I used the Sonus DA orange cutting pad on three cars, 2000 Explorer, 2001 Civic, and a 2000 CR-V with much success. The Explorer and Civic had pretty severe swirls and damage for various acts of abuse from children. After 6-8 hours of work, I was able to get a nice shine back. After working over the Civic, the woman traded it in on a new Pontiac.

I like the Sonus DA pads myself.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:54 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
yea, I need to give them a try. I'm doing three S-classes this weekend. I think I'll finally pop their cherry
Old 12-14-2004, 01:19 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been using the Sonus DAS pad myself. But, when it comes to the PC, I'm very much a newbie. I don't have much to compare them to, but they seem quite well made and easy to use.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:22 PM
teh Senior Instigator

what backing plates are you guys using?
Old 12-14-2004, 01:28 PM
Not an Ashtray

I bought the Sonus DAS kit, so I have their backing pad. It does work very well with the pads, and is just flexible enough. I also have the backing pad that Coastal Tools sent me when I ordered the PC, but I haven't tried it yet.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:49 PM
teh Senior Instigator

yea, don't, throw that one in the trash
Old 12-14-2004, 01:52 PM
Not an Ashtray

I think the pad that came with the PC will work fine with a MF bonnet, for buffing off product (if nothing else).

CLpower - just out of curiosity - what products do you apply with the PC? I used it with Klasse AIO over the weekend. Everybody keeps telling me not to use it with SG or UPP because it is difficult to get a thin spread with the PC.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:07 PM
teh Senior Instigator

I've yet to use klasse, I use megs #83 DACP and #80 Speed Glaze, then will sometimes apply my LSP w/ a PC
Old 12-14-2004, 02:17 PM
ABP TSX

Originally Posted by darth62
I bought the Sonus DAS kit, so I have their backing pad

I have applied Einszett Glanz Wax and all three levels of the 1Z polish. I pretty much just take care of my own vehicles, family, and friends and sit in front of a screen most of the other time.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CLpower
What pads are you PC guys using? I've been using LC's 6" pad from www.properautocare.com but yesterday got their new 7.5" VC Constant Pressure pads? Anyone used them?

I was also sent some sonus pads a few months back, but haven't used them yet? ANyone here have any experience w/ them?

Also, anyone used the orange LC pads? This will be my first time using it, lookign for comparisons to their cutting pad.

hey cl, i have been using all of LC's pads for quite some time and i really like them. i have also used meguires pads and sonus pads. i always seem to be drawn back to LC pads.

an orange LC pad is one of my favorite pads. it falls in between their white pad and their yellow pad. it has enough bite to remove swirls on german clearcoats but isnt tough enough to tackle an american clearcoat. when i do a GM car or truck or Ford i use a LC yellow pad. i also use the orange pad as a "step down" pad after applying 1Z UPP with a yellow pad. i'll pass over the entire vehicle with a yellow pad and 1Z UPP then go down to an orange pad and 1Z MP to remove the hazing left behind.

the LC variable contact pads are nice because you can work the PC at different angles. i usually use those for the first couple passes then finish off with the orange or white flat surface pad and MP.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:56 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Old 12-14-2004, 05:00 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
it was about time someone came up with that.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:09 PM
Not an Ashtray

The Kotex pads look like a good option. I like the Sonus pads, but they don't leave me feeling very fresh.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:11 PM
Racer

i need my pads to have wings!
Old 12-14-2004, 05:45 PM
Instructor

I think the pad that came with the PC will work fine with a MF bonnet, for buffing off product (if nothing else).

CLpower - just out of curiosity - what products do you apply with the PC? I used it with Klasse AIO over the weekend. Everybody keeps telling me not to use it with SG or UPP because it is difficult to get a thin spread with the PC.

hey darth, since cl hasnt tried klasse yet i thought i'd jump in on this one if he doesnt mind.

the trick with sg is to apply it thin, so thin you cant tell if its going on or not. this is where the pc comes in. take a black LC pad and spray a shot or two of sg onto it and work it in on a panel on settings 4 or 4 1/2 until it flashes or disappears. this is the key part here. now most hardcore klasse freaks will tell you to wait 24 hours before you remove it, but the beauty here is that the heat generated from the pc speeds up the cure time to mere minutes. my normal routine here is to apply a coat of AIO then the SG in the described manner then a quick interior detail to allow the SG time to set up then i'll come back and remove it. if you did it right it should come right off but if its stubborn or it fights you then just spray some quick detail spray and it comes right off. dont wotty about the QD spray removing the SG because it has already bonded with the AIO and you are merely removing the bi-product of whats left. if you wish to apply another coat of Sg you need to wait a day or just do it after your next washing.

you can apply AIO with a pc too but youre gonna want to use a white LC pad as these have more bite and a black pad is just for finishing. klasse AIO has chemical cleaners in it so a pad with more bite will produce better results, however feel free to use a black pad. i normally apply the AIO by hand simply because its so easy that way. but from time to time i will use a pc if someone doesnt want to pay for all the extra time to do heavy polishing and wants instant results. the only trick here is to spray the white pad with some distilled water to break down the friction generated from the pc. this aids in the removal of the AIO also. work it in the same manner until it flashes but this time set the pc to about 3 1/2.

and last but not least ........PUPP. the only way i apply PUPP is with the pc and a black pad. the best part about PUPP is that the learning curve on this stuff is huge. it is almost idiot proof. i spray it on a black pad and apply it to the entire vehicle on a setting around 4 1/2 or 5. do the whole car and then begin from your starting point and buff it off. i do however apply SG and PUPP by hand but only inside the door jams. PUPP will do a number on your black pads so have some set aside just for that purpose and rinse and wash them right after each use.

if youre going to do multiple layers of SG before the PUPP application then wait about 24 hours or do it after your next wash. on my own cars i do the following: week 1: clay, polish, AIO, SG. week 2: wash , second coat of SG. week 3: wash, PUPP. the look and feel of this combo is nothing short of amazing and i have yet to find a product that leaves the finish as slick as PUPP does. to keep that feeling going spray with the Four Star gloss enhancing detail spray after each wash.

once the PUPP is over the SG the protection last much, much longer. and since the application time of the PUPP is so quick it has never been an issue for me about the durability of the PUPP. i could care less even if it only lasted for two weeks. with the layer of PUPP over the klasse twins the durability level is raised substantially.

sorry that was so long
Old 12-14-2004, 05:57 PM
Not an Ashtray

Question: When you say "spray on" the pad what do you mean? Do you use a spray bottle to apply the product to the pad?
Old 12-14-2004, 07:25 PM
Instructor

Question: When you say "spray on" the pad what do you mean? Do you use a spray bottle to apply the product to the pad?

the best thing i've found for this is i went to Sallys beauty supply and bought about a dozen of their small size spray bottles. these bottles are perfect because they provide a very fine mist spray. one or two sprays of SG is all that is needed to do a panel.