What is this forum's opinion on California Dusters?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is this forum's opinion on California Dusters?

Did some searching on the net... I wanted to know, what can I do to remove dust? In all honesty, I can wash a car and a few days later it will be covered in dust. What is the best method in removing the dust (if possible) without getting the car wet? Also, what exactly is a quick detailer I keep hearing about?

For those of you unfamiliar, I basically have issues drying my car after a wash... So I am looking for ways to clean the car without getting it wet

Now the other alternative is to just get better at drying the car... would a microfiber waffle weave towel really do that much better than a regular micfro fiber tower? The waffle weave towels actually look unsafe to use and look swirl mark prone. Am I not supposed to use strokes when drying a car with a waffle weave? I use strokes with my Microfiber tower (I am gentle) and I don't have swirls, though it doesn't pick up much water...

edit: If a WW towel really is that much better, then excel you got a link to your best WW towel for drying purposes :P

I think I will give drying another shot...
Old 10-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Good WW towels are by far the best drying option .. Excel has some Pacific towels that are priced right and work great . I use the 2 I have exclusively.

With a WW towel you dry in straight lines as the air flows over your car and slower strokes. Reg M/F towels on most cases will streak if they aren't the proper drying ones.

What one are you using?

Here is how I dry mine ;

1) After you have finished washing the car take the nozzle off the hose and play a gentle stream of water over the car. If the car has any wax/sealant at all on it doing this will pull off 85% of the water.

2) Fold one of the 24 x 36 towels in 1/2 so its 12 x 36 then holding it by 2 corners on the 36" side pull the towel over the hood, windshield, roof, rear window , trunk and back over the other side the same way.

3) The holding the towel the same way bend over and pull it over the front fender, doors, rear fender, back of trunk/bumper and the same down the other side.

4) Fold the second towel in 1/4 and holding it flat ( not scrunched ) dry all the horizontal surfaces including the front and rear windshields. Next do the side windows and vertical surfaces.

You will find with a WW towel slower strokes are needed and they will pick up better as they become damper.

As for the Duster .. I have one and will only use it when arriving at a car show and only to remove minor dusr behind the rear wheels and around the back .. they can mar the paint.

Deligate the towel you have now for wheel , door edge drying ..
Old 10-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Instructor

wow ok awesome thanks for the tip. When doing the pillars and horizontal surfaces (using the towel folded to 1/4), is it ok to apply any pressure? I will order some towels from excel detail, but my question is, which ones are the absolute best. I don't want to chance anything at this point. I heard people mention the pacific ones, if they are the best then I will place an order for 2 of those.

And yes, the MF towels I was using did leave some streaks
Old 10-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
keep in mind i have a silver car and before my TL-S i had a silver 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP...i love my CA duster, and i have the generic one too. i basically work at a construction site and have a nice clean car on Sat and Sun, but come Monday its covered. i have noticed that it only works well after the car is clean, if you dust it after it rains (after it dries) it's no good, but just for daily non-muck dusting give it a go. BTW i'm due for a new one.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Suzuka Master

When I dry there is no need to apply pressure ... you are drying not wiping clean.

The Pacific ones are the ones I bought from him .. I have 3 other brands bought elsewhere and the Pacific perform better and less $$ ..

Patrick from Ecel could maybe chime in and comment on the others he sells.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by New Car TL-S
keep in mind i have a silver car and before my TL-S i had a silver 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP...i love my CA duster, and i have the generic one too. i basically work at a construction site and have a nice clean car on Sat and Sun, but come Monday its covered. i have noticed that it only works well after the car is clean, if you dust it after it rains (after it dries) it's no good, but just for daily non-muck dusting give it a go. BTW i'm due for a new one.
Silver and lighter colors won't show the marring but its still slowly going on.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:18 AM
The Detailer

Either of Patrick's WW towels work great. You can't go wrong with either one really.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:17 AM
Racer

yep

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Silver and lighter colors won't show the marring but its still slowly going on.
hence the reason i've had a silver car since '96 and I'm jealous of all the clean dark cars i see on this site . but jealousy dissipates whenever I see a crappy looking dark one.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
silver and white are the easiest cars to keep up, no doubt...i will again some day return to the siver or white world as its so much easier on my life...
Old 10-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Racer

how many miles on your KBP? I've got 14K on my ASM...wanna trade? J/K
Old 10-09-2008, 12:23 AM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
This thread should help you with your Duster question.

How to Perform Daily Paint Maintenance Using the Duster and QD