What do u use to dry cars after a wash???

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 10:56 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do u use to dry cars after a wash???

Waffle weave drying towels?

This is probably going to be a common answer, but I can't find these things anywhere. I went to 3 auto stores, and none of them carried them. Not that they didn't have any in stock, they just don't carry them. Besides online, where can I buy these towels?

For those who don't use the waffle weave drying towels, what do you use? I've heard of using a leafblower, but that is a bit too expensive for me. Are terry cloth towels safe?

Please let me know.

JayDee
Old 06-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Instructor

i use a water blade to et 95% of the water off, then i come with a chamois to clean it up. takes about 5 minutes for the whole car.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:42 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

i use the water blade n then this thing called the absorber. it feels like a wet piece of plastic. drys the car real well. dont know how safe it is tho.....
Old 06-05-2004, 11:54 PM

I just hop in the car and take off... give it an air dry, then go over what else is still wet with a terry cloth towel
Old 06-05-2004, 11:57 PM
Advanced

Big Blue II Drying Towel.

It's a microfiber waffle weave. Wouldn't trade it for any other product. It glides over the paint and soaks up everything in its path. One towel dries my entire TL in one pass without wringing it out. I used to use the ABSORBER but it felt like it was gripping the paint in comparison to the Big Blue. Plus, I trust the microfiber to lift any dirt I may have missed or any pollen that may have gotten onto the car after washing. The ABSORBER just traps it between itself and the paint as you rub it around.

http://properautocare.com/classic-mo...bludryint.html

I don't recommend air drying or "drive" drying your car. Your wet paint will pick up road dust, dirt, brake dust, etc. That then dries on your car or you rub it on your paint as you dry off the remaining water. There's also more of a chance of water spots forming.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:28 AM
Pro

i use microfibre towels now and they work very well. but i have to stop and ring it out. but if they say that i dont have to ring that big blue towel out then imma picc one up. not a bad deal either.
Old 06-06-2004, 04:22 PM
Burning Brakes

I use the "dry with water" technique and then follow up with a WW towel. To "dry with water", simply remove the nozzle from your hose and turn on the water (low pressure). Start at the roof and "move" the water around until it starts to sheath off the car. As it sheathes and runs off the car, continue to feed it with water to help along the sheathing action. Then move down towards other parts of the car like the sides, hood, etc. This will not remove all of the water, but it gets me about 90% dry. This works extremely well if your car has some kind of sealant or wax on it.
My favorite WW and MFs are from www.pakshak.com. Awesome guy to do business with too !
Old 06-06-2004, 04:42 PM
Advanced

similar to tpatel:
use a water blade, then finish off with a "regular" MF towel (not waffle weave) that you can find in your local store.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:23 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use a leaf blower to get most of the water from the car and inside the doors and other areas that are hard to reach. What little remains is easily dried with a cotton towel.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
High pressure hose for emblems and door handles, then a 24x30 waffle weave....Also use the proper drying techinique......(sheeting method)
Old 06-07-2004, 09:06 AM
Pro

I use the absorber similiar to a shammy. If you go to the zaino website. They suggest you use 100% cotton towels and not the absober or the water blade. I use the blade on the old cavalier though. hope this helps.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:24 AM
Team Anthracite Member

COSTCO Micro Fibers (yellow) dries car and also remove wax
Old 06-07-2004, 07:23 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by VTECHokie
Big Blue II Drying Towel.

It's a microfiber waffle weave. Wouldn't trade it for any other product. It glides over the paint and soaks up everything in its path. One towel dries my entire TL in one pass without wringing it out. I used to use the ABSORBER but it felt like it was gripping the paint in comparison to the Big Blue. Plus, I trust the microfiber to lift any dirt I may have missed or any pollen that may have gotten onto the car after washing. The ABSORBER just traps it between itself and the paint as you rub it around.

http://properautocare.com/classic-mo...bludryint.html

I don't recommend air drying or "drive" drying your car. Your wet paint will pick up road dust, dirt, brake dust, etc. That then dries on your car or you rub it on your paint as you dry off the remaining water. There's also more of a chance of water spots forming.

I use the same thing. I'll dry 2 cars w/ one towel
Old 06-08-2004, 10:49 PM
All go, no show

Old T-Shirt! Sacreligious, no? :^)
Old 06-08-2004, 10:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PenguinQX
Old T-Shirt! Sacreligious, no? :^)
Shame on you !!
Old 06-09-2004, 11:01 AM
Pro

I use a genuine chamois (?sp.). Works well enough for me.

I would not drive to air dry then wipe down; that sounds like a great way to rub tiny dirt particles into the finish.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:55 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

California Water Blade works great for the 80% of the car and a waffle weave or a terry cloth towel for the rest.. wash and dry in 10 min alone! perfect combo in my opinion.

And to thoes scared of the California waterblade, it is made with medical silicone and puts 15 times less pressure on your car than a terry cloth towel or chamois (shammy).
Old 06-10-2004, 05:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JetJock
I use a leaf blower to get most of the water from the car and inside the doors and other areas that are hard to reach. What little remains is easily dried with a cotton towel.
Leaf blower? I will have to try that.

Until now I use a micro fiber towel.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:01 PM
Cruisin'

Recently, i have tried the Mr. Clean system, which de-ionizes the water. You just let it air dry, and get no water spots. Leaves the car looking good without touching it with drying material.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TLme
Recently, i have tried the Mr. Clean system, which de-ionizes the water. You just let it air dry, and get no water spots. Leaves the car looking good without touching it with drying material.
"de-ionizes"? how does it do that. sounds more like a charcoal filter system. my city water leaves very bad water spots. one drop of water when ir dries up leaves a ring of what looks like chlorine powder (probably a mix of chlorine, minerals, and sediment). on a nice cool dry day, spots begin while i'm washing.

when i wash a car i wash then do a wipe-down rinse using clean water with a small squirt of cascade dishwaser agent in the water. this helps to sheet the water and reduces spotting, but any remaining water i have to towel dry. i got a syntheic chamois that i'll try during next wash.

with my 04 TL, to avoid excessive washes i use those spritz-&-wipe cleaners and waxes (i try to wipe down my TL once a week in my garage). i've used the turtle wax spritz for years, it removes light dirt and mildly waxes at the same time, leaves a nice smooth and clean surface, lasts about a week on my truck that is not garaged and driven everyday. i now am trying out Eagle One spritz products as well as their new nano wax.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:24 AM

check the mr.clean site. They have combined with "PUR" the water filer company.. So you'll have to buy new filters (don't think they are charcole, maybe one is, but there is two different filters) and Mr. Clean solution.... I guess they got you there. not you can't even wash your car with out paying them.. I think it is something like 6 washes out of a filter . Someone was saying it worked out to about $2-$3 per wash!! not worth the drying time, it only takes me 10 min to wash and dry a car and it's with better soap. I can see if you spend an hour drying your car but who actually does that? you could allow the car to dry with water spots and then go over the car with QuickDetail spray to get them away..I will do that to any spots I miss.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:50 PM
Cruisin'

True. The Mr. Clean system is a bit expensive. Once my Mr Clean soap ran out, I just use regular car soap and the filter (you don't need Mr. Clean Soap). I have really hard water too, and after drying, water always comes out of those spaces you cannot get too. So I end up having to rewipe the drips. If I don't get them in time, white residue remains. Thats why I like the filter system, just water it down and walk away. If you have hard water problems, I would recommend giving it a try.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:15 PM
Intermediate

I use the Big Blue II towel. I won't use anything else to dry my car. After a free flowing rinse, I can dry the whole car without wringing it out.

I bought the Mr Clean wash & dry before the Big Blue towel, it worked, but it uses a Jet Dry polymer in the soap that aids drying and getting the water off your car. It's probably not a big deal, but I'd rather not have that on my finish. You can get the Big Blue for roughly the same amount as the Mr Clean, and it takes me about as long to use the towel as it does for me to hose the car down with the filtered 'quick dry' water. Not to mention the Mr Clean soap has some weak suds.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:57 PM
Racer

I guess most people use the water blade and the Big Blue II towel. Do any of these things remove wax or scratch the paint. I want to wash my car for the first time this weekend and do not want to remove the wax feels of the new paint.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:08 PM

If it is a "new" car there won't be any wax.. but aside from that. they won't remove wax, and are designed not to scratch the surface either, hence why most professionals use them. I llove the California Water Blade, I have had a knock-off brand, which didn't scratch my paint but also didn't work half as good as the california blade. The blade actually puts 15 times less pressure on the paint them a terry cloth towel.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:33 PM
Racer

I use the Absorber, which is basically a shammy.

But I don't wipe my car. What I do is cover the surface with it and then just take it off. That works just fine even though it takes a long time to do.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:46 AM
Red line...use it

I tried the blade this weekend but it scared me. It started chattering. The only way to stop the chatter was to push really hard. I went back to the micro fiber towels. What am I doing wrong with the blade??
Old 08-09-2004, 08:40 PM
Instructor

Leaf Blower and Waffel Weave towel - skip the Mr. Clean you can buy a water filter system from a mobile home store that hooks up to your hose that will give you the same if not better results and be much cheaper in the long run.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:33 PM
9th Gear

I love the waffle weave micro's which leave no streaks like the absorber I used for many, many years. I just got wind of this site also that sells them along with some others suggestion of properautocare.com
http://detailingdynamics.net/Merchan...tegory_Code=DA

They also show a niec tip on maintaining synthethic microfibers and natural microfiber (anyone heard of this or tried?)

CK
Old 08-12-2004, 09:38 PM
Instructor

good tips all around

another one is to add a cup of white distilled vinegar to your rinse cycle when you wash your microfiber towels - it will make them much more fluffy and extend their life!
Old 08-16-2004, 12:25 AM
9th Gear

Nice tip on the vinegar!

Thanks. Didn't know that one and will try it on next cleaning of the microfibers.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:53 AM

The Waffle Weave Towel is supplied by us at www.ShowShine.ca Acura-TL.Com's vendor. The best product I've found for washing the microfiber towels and pads is Sonüs' "Der Wunder Wasche" it is designed specifically for washing microfiber towels and buffing pads. It works great, I used it in the washing machine with a load of microfibers and it worked better than every laundry detergent I've used so far.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:42 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Griots WW towel or CMA's Big Blue II WW towel
Old 08-16-2004, 10:40 AM
Peach Tea

i just started using the water blade after i worked at a dealership that used it. i would have never tried it first on my own car. i washed 100's of cars and used it and i didn't see anything wrong with it so i bought one. its awesome! then i come behind it with a 100% cotton towel
Old 08-16-2004, 01:11 PM
Burning Brakes

CLPower, how are you liking Griot's WW ? I noticed the pockets on mine came undone after a few months. Also when I wash it, it's not as soft as my Pakshak WW. Otherwise, it's a very thirsty towel.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:58 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by SK2003TypeS
CLPower, how are you liking Griot's WW ? I noticed the pockets on mine came undone after a few months. Also when I wash it, it's not as soft as my Pakshak WW. Otherwise, it's a very thirsty towel.

Just got it and only used it once, I like it. I really like the hand pockets.

If yours is comming undone send it back. The reason I got this is because I returned my boars hair brush I had bought 6 years ago because the hairs were comming off. They took it back w/o even a fuss and I got to exchange for credit. They have a no questions asked lifetime warranty.

What are you washing it with? That may affect the softness.