waxing and carnauba?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 12:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
waxing and carnauba?????

I've bought some Meguiars NXT wax and applied it., but then i got ot reading one of the other threads and i think it said NXT didn't have any carnauba. what exactly is carnauba?? Is it better for the shine from a wax? Beecause I read that the NXT is recommended to use because it makes the car shine really well. Also after i cleaned and applied it, it didn't shine as much as i thought it would. Could anyone give me some pointers?

First i washed the car, i used the Mr. Clean's car wash kit and after my car dried, i used the wax applicator and used the NXT wax and then i worked on the car section by section. Then after the wax hazes, i would start to remove all the haze by using a microfiber cloth.

Anything better i could do?
Old 01-27-2005, 08:44 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dave Bynon (bettercarcare.com)
Carnauba Wax
Carnauba comes from the fronds of the "tree of life" (Copernicia cerifera) native to Brazil. It is nature's hardest, purest and most transparent wax. Carnauba car waxes tend to produce a deeper, darker, richer shine that is often described as "three-dimensional."

Many enthusiasts and show car owners prefer the shine of carnauba waxes, especially on black, red and other dark colors. Carnauba waxes bead water nicely, absorb the acid content in rain, and hide minor swirls in the paint. My personal favorite is P21S Carnauba Wax, a true show car wax. Compared with other show car waxes, P21S Carnauba Wax is very modestly priced and compares favorably.

On the minus side, carnauba waxes are not as durable as synthetic waxes or sealants. Depending on your climate, a carnauba wax might last between 30 and 60 days. Additionally, some carnauba waxes can be temperamental, occasionally streaking under certain temperature or humidity conditions.

With the limitations of carnauba wax, you might be asking why it continues to have a loyal following. In my own case, I continue to use P21S Carnauba Wax to pamper my show car because I like the way it looks. On my toy, durability is secondary
You shouldn't go over the entire car with NXT then remove... You SHOULD apply NXT to A panel, wait a little then remove before it hazes or dries... Reason being is if the wax hazes or dries there is a chance of you lightly scratching the surface with the dry "waxing dust". The product will work better if it is removed while still moist.

The big difference between Carnauba was and Synthetic Polymers are durability and shine.. Carnauba wax will beat any synthetic in the depth and shine department.. however they only last 1-3 months max, they melt off in the sun... The synthetics have a much longer durability however don't give that perfect showcar shine..

Hope that helped a little
Old 01-27-2005, 10:49 AM
TL

Good info posted there. Except I find that Carnauba only lasts 2-4 weeks depending on usage. Your synthetic waxes will last 2-3 months.

Garage queen cars with carnauba will last 1-3 months with little to no use.

Erik
Old 01-27-2005, 06:34 PM
Burning Brakes

so is the meguiar's suppose to be Carunauba or synthetic wax? and if it isn't carunauba, then which wax would be good to use and get a really good shine and reflection?
Old 01-27-2005, 08:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I beg to differ with the Carnauba vs. Synthetic Polymer qualities....Sorry, just my observations with many, many polymers.....With todays Polymers, its my belief there very equal to looks vs. a carnauba. And with there durability, the #16, S100, Carnauba Moosewax rarely get taken out of my boxes.
The NXt you referred to is a synthetic Polymer, with very mild cleaners in it, but enough to drastically reduce its capablity of layering. I feel it works better on light colors. If your looking for serious Polymer, consider Fourstar or Blackfire. My $.02.
The nature of carnaubas allow 4-6 weeks protection during summer months. Winter months are a different story considering road salts and additional elements...I wouldnt even venture to guess.....
Old 01-28-2005, 06:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by exceldetail
I feel it works better on light colors. If your looking for serious Polymer, consider Fourstar or Blackfire. My $.02.
The nature of carnaubas allow 4-6 weeks protection during summer months. Winter months are a different story considering road salts and additional elements...I wouldnt even venture to guess.....
so which wax would be best for my CL? I have an 03 anthracite, and i used Meguiar's NXT high tech wax once and it didn't leave a great shine. i think its because i' might be missing an important step..i'm gonna have to try claying the car next time though. so yeah would NXT bring out the shine?
Old 01-28-2005, 08:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by andyjl
so which wax would be best for my CL? I have an 03 anthracite, and i used Meguiar's NXT high tech wax once and it didn't leave a great shine. i think its because i' might be missing an important step..i'm gonna have to try claying the car next time though. so yeah would NXT bring out the shine?
People often think a wax is going to give a brilliant shine once wiped off. What there failing to understand is its the prep work that brings out the surface beauty. NXt has mild cleaners in it, really not even worth mentioning there so ineffectice in regards to polishing. I would highly advise polishing prior to applying any protectant, at a minimum a cleaner. Im not saying you cant get good results with NXT, you have to have the shine before you wax or seal with a polymer. At a mimimum, go with Megs Deep Crystal Polish (A cleaner). A step up from there may be Meg's #9.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by andyjl
I've bought some Meguiars NXT wax and applied it., but then i got ot reading one of the other threads and i think it said NXT didn't have any carnauba. what exactly is carnauba?? Is it better for the shine from a wax? Beecause I read that the NXT is recommended to use because it makes the car shine really well. Also after i cleaned and applied it, it didn't shine as much as i thought it would. Could anyone give me some pointers?

First i washed the car, i used the Mr. Clean's car wash kit and after my car dried, i used the wax applicator and used the NXT wax and then i worked on the car section by section. Then after the wax hazes, i would start to remove all the haze by using a microfiber cloth.

Anything better i could do?
Carnauba is a natural plant substance, rock hard in its natural plant/factory processed form. Its only usable once petroleum carriers are added. NXT is a polymer, a synthetic "wax", which will crosslink and bond to your paint surface pores. Minimum twice as durable as carnauba, NXT has minimal cleaners in it, this is where your problems lie. Sealanst and/or waxes do not shine paint, your prep work (polishing, cleaning, claying) is what makes the difference here. Had you polished or at least cleaned your paint prior to the NXT application, your results would have been different. Its my belief Mr. Clean has something in the soap or sheeting agent, that strips your layer of protection. Ever notice how you losed slickness after using it? I did, the second time I used it, and then Mr Clean retired.
Let NXT, or any polymer product "set" for at least 20 minutes before removal.

Last edited by exceldetail; 02-01-2005 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:30 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Let NXT, or any polymer product "set" for at least 20 minutes before removal.

You really think so?... I personally wouldn't remove the NXT a min or two after application...if the product dries too much it turns into waxing dust which can scratch the paint during removal.

Einszett Glanze Wax is a thin liquid which goes on really quick and easy. I would do the entire car with einszett then remove, IMO the NXT would dry too much in the 20 min.

Originally Posted by Dave Bynon.. BetterCarCare articke "How to Wax your Car
3. Work on one area at a time covering 2 to 4 square feet. Some products may allow you to coat the entire car before buffing off, but most do not.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:40 AM
Former Sponsor

RF, polymers need time to crosslink, this wipe on, wipe off process I think is inferior to actual proper processes. As for David B's statement, are you sure thats not in referrence to waxes? Ive never had any residual dust with Blackfire, UPP, or NXT. Thin is key with Polys.....
Old 02-02-2005, 07:49 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

I've used Meguirs Carnuba up to this point, but plan on switching to a polymer based protectant here in the spring. I'm willing to sacrifice a little "depth" and shine for longer protection...

I was thinking the NXT, but from everything I've read, the Blackfire seems to be the way to go. Not sure where to get it, I'll have to look into that. The Zaino is simply too much work for the sporty family car. I'm thinking bang for the buck (i.e. my time).

So when I go to the Blackfire, do I need to "strip" the old Meguirs off of the car? What would you guys recomend for that? Or, after the 6-8 weeks, do you think the Carnuba is basically gone anyways?

(FYI - I've got an 05 NBP)
Old 02-02-2005, 12:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DarkWraith33
I've used Meguirs Carnuba up to this point, but plan on switching to a polymer based protectant here in the spring. I'm willing to sacrifice a little "depth" and shine for longer protection...

I was thinking the NXT, but from everything I've read, the Blackfire seems to be the way to go. Not sure where to get it, I'll have to look into that. The Zaino is simply too much work for the sporty family car. I'm thinking bang for the buck (i.e. my time).

So when I go to the Blackfire, do I need to "strip" the old Meguirs off of the car? What would you guys recomend for that? Or, after the 6-8 weeks, do you think the Carnuba is basically gone anyways?

(FYI - I've got an 05 NBP)
Blackfire or Four Star is definetly a step up, and in the right direction durability wise. Four star is more user friendly however. 6-8 weeks should be enough, but you should still clay and polish prior to sealing.

Blackfire
Four Star line