wax off with detailer

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 09:34 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wax off with detailer

so me and my friend washed our cars today and did 2 layers of wax. each time we waxed we would let the wax sit for about 5mins or so then proceed to wipe off with megs auto detailer.

it was really really easy to take off the wax and dint need to do much buffing(saved my arm), but i was wondering if we take off wax that way will the wax be less effective. i forgot what wax we used but it was curabana(says the was last for 6months) and we used megs quick auto detailer.

we learned this technique from a friend who does this technique on his BM. the wax looks really nice too, clean and shiny.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Boosty, basically what happens is when you dont provide any cure time with the nuba, your reactivating the solvents not yet evaporated. In turn, this redistributes along the surface, remixing with the nubas you just applied. If you can let the carrier solvents evaporate, it will leave the nubas left standing, a chance to harden and allow protection. 2 light apps a day or two (weather dependent) apart are much better protection.
Some folks like dual application back to back which allows for a more even, thorough level of protection.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Racer

so i should jsut do the regular wax on, wax off, buff to let the wax cure
Old 12-11-2007, 02:06 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Wax Application – like most car care products Carnauba wax is designed to provide maximum results with minimum product application, most Carnauba waxes work well using the WOWO (wipe on wipe off) method while still slightly damp but not completely dry, generally apply a very thin layer, preferably with a distilled water primed foam applicator; allowing it to haze, then wiping off. I would suggest you do a swipe-test (swipe the surface with your finger, if the wax is still liquid wait for a while and repeat)

Allowing a Carnauba wax or Glaze to set-up for 45-60 minutes (see manufacturers instructions on specific products) is usually more than sufficient, as wax doesn’t form a molecular bond like a polymer does this will allow the solvents to outgas, which will be dependant upon ambient temperature / humidity)

A good technique is to buff the wax with a 100% cotton micro fibre cloth and then spritz the paintwork with cold distilled water and wipe down, this helps to set the wax and will add that little extra gloss. Carnauba wax provides better protection from bird / insect excrement than a polymer.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bo0sty
so i should jsut do the regular wax on, wax off, buff to let the wax cure
There ya have it, two slightly differing opinions, but each addressed at allowing the solvents to dissipate before adding another layer. As with synthetics, if you allow some cure time(synthetics), (hardening/nubas) before an additional app, your better off. I threw in "weather" as a factor. As relative humidity raises, cure/hardening time is extended. Its not so much the temperature as it is the humidity which extends the whole layering process. However, one more thing you could do is move the vehicle in the sun after your initial app and removal. The warmth will help thin the oils allowing for quicker evaporation, or as TOGWT stated, assist the Nuba in hardening with some artifical refrigeration!
Old 12-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Allowing a Carnauba wax or Glaze to set-up for 45-60 minutes (see manufacturers instructions on specific products) is usually more than sufficient, as wax doesn’t form a molecular bond like a polymer does this will allow the solvents to outgas, which will be dependant upon ambient temperature / humidity)
mine says 5 mins, 45-60 should i let a 5 min carnauba set that long, is that how long it takes for everything to completely evaporate. and would quick detailer work the same as cold water if the detailer is cold. and is there anyway to tell the carnauba has completely set and evaporated

thanks for all the replies

Last edited by bo0sty; 12-11-2007 at 07:27 PM.